• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chris Tarly

Brogo tackles NaNoWriMo, wins, and doesn't die.

TimelyDecimalHyrax-size_restricted.gif

I'm doing NaNoWriMo... National Novel Writing Month.

I decided to do this two days ago so I'm kinda pantsing it.

Right now I'm fleshing out an idea I've been tinkering with in my brain for months, maybe years. It's going well.

Then 12 am Nov 1 I start writing like mad to produce 50,000 words before 12 am Dec. 1. All those who accomplish that goal.... WIN!

This adventure takes place in the Southcoast Cities where a disgraced 'wizard' flees his home country seeking allies to aid in thwarting the imperialistic ambitions of the increasingly corrupt Astral Governance.

Goal 1, Win NaNoWriMo

1) Pre Nano -- novel prep and practice and refine keeping a daily writing schedule.

2) NaNo -- just write. Keep track of word counts, and just get to 11,667 words each week.

Goal 2, Fucking Don't Die

1) Do one thing each day that is not NaNo, but also isn't dying. Like, get a chore done, or do something fun during a break.

2) Also, work a min. 45 hours per week. Writing isn't paying the bills... yet.

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, annyshay said:

Hello fellow Wrimo. I'm annyshay on the NaNo site if you wanna be buddies. Cheering you on no matter what!

I just sent you a buddy request. I see you've done this before and won! Any tips?

4 minutes ago, Curl Brogo said:

I just sent you a buddy request. I see you've done this before and won! Any tips?

Write. Every. Day. Even if it's just a little bit. And dive into the community. It's a great part of the month.

• Like 1

I spent yesterday and today doing some novel preparation. This doesn't yet count toward nano but it's good prep and practice.

Character descriptions: 1301 words

Geographic description: 2717

Chapter/Plot Outline: 739

Total: 4747 words

And I drew a map.

That's pretty good for a day and half, but this is all I've been doing the past two days. When I get into this, I'm gonna have to average 1667 words a day while working and doing life. So in the next week and a half that leads up I'll be working on my writing schedule. I'm thinking:

4 am: Get up, review the story over coffee and breakfast, and get a few words down before I leave for work.

5 am (ish) - 4 pm (ish): Gone for work. I'll have to take a notepad so I can jot down ideas while I'm watching the machine makes screws all day.

4:30 till 8-9pm: Write while eating dinner. Avoid distracting electronics until I hit 2000 words.

With that there might not be much time to update here aside from weekends.

As for the possible novel itself, I like where things are going. I'm having fun solving the problems of constructing a story, developing characters and world building. I think this thing has some potential that once I get 50,000 words down, I could make it good and quite readable. Its gonna have action, adventure, there's some romance, political conspiracies, petty family squabbles, important family squabbles, sexy times, humor, boozing... lots more boozing... fist fights, sword fights, heists, organized crime. The works.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, annyshay said:

Looks like a solid plan. NaNo takes over all, basically.

Thanks. And I figured as much... writing is time consuming, which is probably why I haven't written down my ideas in the past. But, it's only one month so fuck it let's do this.

7 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I signed up for NaNo last week or the week before in the hopes of writing some non-fiction. I'm still non-committal about actually doing NaNoWriMo this year, but I want to show solidarity.

Kewl. Wanna be buddies?

• Like 2

I wrote the first 273 words of my novel. The first sentence and scene are crucial so I might as well start on them early. That and it showed me the pace at which I write actually text. That 273 took 30-40 min.

It will be entirely re-written before it counts toward my 50,000.

Two things that are slowing me down:

1) Internal editor: During nano, I'm going to have to turn off my desire to edit and wordsmith and save it for later editing.

2) Research: When I get an idea, I always try to research it to sound credible and realistic, which is good, but it can lead to distraction from the goal of getting words on the page. Same deal, I need to shut off this impulse until later and just write for now.

3) Also, I feel like I need to make a goal to only post things written in complete sentences on this forum. I've definitely picked up some bad habits from my writing style on here.

• Like 6

There are lots of funny metaphors for what people do to their inner editors during NaNo. It's a good instinct to free yourself from them. This is just the first draft after all. You're just telling the story to yourself. We shine it up later.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 10:10 PM, Curl Brogo said:

3) Life.

Ah yes, this goal is realistic, achievable, and measurable. Excellent, excellent.

Eep, 50, 000 words is a lot, but it should be fun! So yeah, you're definitely going to have to outrun the internal editor. Have you tried writing really fast? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, annyshay said:

There are lots of funny metaphors for what people do to their inner editors during NaNo. It's a good instinct to free yourself from them. This is just the first draft after all. You're just telling the story to yourself. We shine it up later.

Me: I'm gonna need a kitchen chair, some duck tape, a straight razor, and a vinyl 45 of Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle." ...

Editor: Too derivative. We need to change it. At least the song, and maybe it's a desk chair.

Me: "Shut the fuck up!"

9 hours ago, Harriet said:

Ah yes, this goal is realistic, achievable, and measurable. Excellent, excellent.

Eep, 50, 000 words is a lot, but it should be fun! So yeah, you're definitely going to have to outrun the internal editor. Have you tried writing really fast? 

No. It is not. Lifing is not a goal, just a reminder that there are other things going on beside NaNo.

I just put down another 720 words in just under an hour. That's almost half the daily goal of 1667. So it should take me about 2-3 hours a day. I have that amount of time in the evenings. And if I'm behind I can catch up on weekends. This is doable.

9 hours ago, raptron said:

WRIMOSSSS. Good luck! :D 

Et tu, bruh?

BTW: How's the day guide to drinking coming?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Me: I'm gonna need a kitchen chair, some duck tape, a straight razor, and a vinyl 45 of Steeler's Wheel's "Stuck in the Middle." ...

Editor: Too derivative. We need to change it. At least the song, and maybe it's a desk chair.

Me: "Shut the fuck up!"

Hahahaha, perfect!

• Like 1

So, I just finished my first chapter. We're up to 2617 words already, meaning I added roughly 1700 words tonight. It took about 3 hours. Yeah. This is doable. Provided the plot doesn't bog me down.

I am just not a fast writer though. I can't. I have to edit a little bit. Editing and polishing a draft is way harder than writing. And, it's way harder when your draft is a festering pile of shit. As opposed to semi-organized shit. So, since I'm able to get 1700 words in three hours and some writing that is pretty decent, I'll stick with my current pace.

Oof. I totally forgot. My neighborhood's Halloween festival is this weekend. So I can't work this Saturday. First, because the street I live on will be closed so I can't leave. Second, because I'll be drunk by 10 am. I haven't gotten any extra hours yet this week, so I'll have to cram some in the next two days.

• Like 3

On 10/23/2019 at 2:00 AM, Curl Brogo said:

No. It is not. Lifing is not a goal, just a reminder that there are other things going on beside NaNo.

Oh, I thought it was just the state of not being dead. You measure by taking your pulse. But if you're capable of taking your pulse you probably meet the requirements anyway. 

3 hours ago, Curl Brogo said:

Editing and polishing a draft is way harder than writing. And, it's way harder when your draft is a festering pile of shit.

That's harsh. Do you have a lot of practice at writing? Or are you still a novice? 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Harriet said:

Oh, I thought it was just the state of not being dead. You measure by taking your pulse. But if you're capable of taking your pulse you probably meet the requirements anyway. 

That's harsh. Do you have a lot of practice at writing? Or are you still a novice? 

I think I'll add checking my pulse to the list.

I'm published twice as a first author on a couple of papers. I've been through the editing and publication process. With all my education I've done so much writing, especially in grad school; so many grant proposals. Writing fiction is new though. I'd made a few attempts in the past, but what I've got now is my first complete chapter of fiction. I know I can write, because I've got a voice and a good internal editor, and that saves a lot of work later on. There have been many times where I tried to shut the editor off with gin and tonic only to find a festering pile the next day. Whenever I ignore the voice and the editor my writing is crap. My voice adds a lot of color and makes the reading worthwhile, but it can be a tad impulsive and make a mess. The editor provides a good filter and keeps the voice organized and logical. When I've got both cooperating, they lay a good foundation. Never a perfect rough draft, but something coherent that can be polished. In grad school, especially when I was in my dissertation stage, my editor along with my advisor and the restraints of academic writing stifled my voice so hard I could barely write at all. Thus far, fiction writing seems very liberating.

• Like 4

Oof. Fight scenes are tough to write. They require a lot of detailed visualization, and the descriptions can be hard to nail. Especially when you're describing complicated grappling and joint lock maneuvers. I think this is why fantasy heroes typically carry a big ole sword and cowboys shoot guns.

1300 more words added to chapter 2.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, annyshay said:

You're on a roll!

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Snarkyfishguts said:

I love this! Dont even think about editing, just keep writing it out! You got this! 

I have my editor just peeking over my shoulder a bit, but not gagged and hogtied. I'm finding the best thing is just to strike a balance. The editor often wants to make things more specific and make choices that are based on long term plans (in terms of plot) that I'm not sure how to handle yet. Basically, I'm letting the editor spot specific things that are obviously wrong or illogical and letting it tell me when things are just grammatically or stylistically gawdawful. However, I'm not doing any rigorous wordsmithing. If the first thing that comes that works is vague, or seems to general it's fine. It just means I don't have the specific goal figured out yet. Editing is really difficult when you keep editing for specificity while you write, but then half way through or multiple times along the way you change your mind. Then, you have to go back and change earlier parts after the fact to make sure it's consistent. On the other hand, if I'm general or vague on the first pass, on the second pass it's more like a tune up than a rebuild.

Make sense?

• Like 2

How to procrastinate, pro-tip number 1: Update your avatar, including a new gimp/photoshop mashup.

Chris_Tarly01.jpg.15aec8dd15838c0e35e99c09aead0e6b.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen... Chris Tarly!

Addit: I'm using the same alias on Nano now as well.

Honestly, this suits me so much better than Curl Brogo for so many reasons.

I'll be leaving the sig for a while so folks can catch on.

• Like 5