Zaethe: Shieldmaiden's Saga [Ch.01]

Zaethe

Seconding the baking your own bread with not-wheat things! Are there any non-medicine ways to relieve pain? It sounds like you've got a million and one things bothering you, but would a heating pad help the joint issues or something? Also idk if this will fuck with your allergies, but once upon a time I had a manager with back issues who gave himself an ulcer because he was popping ibuprofen like candy (while refusing to do literally anything else about it) and he was told to stop the ibuprofen and start eating crystallized ginger because it would help with the inflammation without causing the stomach issues.

• Like 1

Level 69 Battle Kitten

Battle Log | Current Challenge

MyFitnessPal | Fitbit | Duolingo

Ici je vis la vie que j'ai choisie

Je suis partie pour reconstruire ma vie

C'est dit, c'est ainsi

10 hours ago, Zaethe said:

I'm NOT allergic to rye!  I'd looked at some rye wraps a while ago but they were so stiff and unappealing it honestly never crossed my mind to bake some actual bread.  I will have to look into this!  Thank you!  You're right, sometimes you just need some tasty bread. :) 

There are also a lot of keto breads that are wheat-free. Recipes for low-carb substitute foods get better all the time, but they do often call for weird specialty ingredients like xantham gum or arrowroot powder, which can be annoying if you're not sure the recipe will work out for you. 

10 hours ago, Zaethe said:

But seriously, yeah it's always a bit odd to be so far ahead.  I regularly forget that most people I know are asleep for most of my day. 

Team awkwardly far ahead! I'm always surprised when so many of us are online at the same time, despite being at such different points in our day. But then other times I feel like I'm all alone on the forums and realize it's because the rest of the world is asleep. 

• Like 2
5 hours ago, fleaball said:

Seconding the baking your own bread with not-wheat things! Are there any non-medicine ways to relieve pain? It sounds like you've got a million and one things bothering you, but would a heating pad help the joint issues or something? Also idk if this will fuck with your allergies, but once upon a time I had a manager with back issues who gave himself an ulcer because he was popping ibuprofen like candy (while refusing to do literally anything else about it) and he was told to stop the ibuprofen and start eating crystallized ginger because it would help with the inflammation without causing the stomach issues.

I smoke a bit of weed when I can get the money together for it.  I have a friend who helps me out on that front.  I keep it for the really bad days though, and unfortunately even if I had some currently not being able to sleep for the pain is such a regular occurrence I rarely consider it bad enough (although last night would have been, it was 5am when I finally fell asleep).  Natural remedies in general that aren't drug-related don't have enough of a lasting effect for me.  It blows but it is what it is.

1 hour ago, Wobbegong said:

Team awkwardly far ahead! I'm always surprised when so many of us are online at the same time, despite being at such different points in our day. But then other times I feel like I'm all alone on the forums and realize it's because the rest of the world is asleep. 

giphy.gif

Yeah I have the same issue, wondering why everything is quiet and then I wake up to 15 notifications and I'm like "ohhhhhhh THAT'S why!"

• Like 2

Fight your foes in the field, nor be burnt in your house.

It's a rough pain day today.  Not the worst but still, doing things hurts.  I couldn't sit on the couch for more than an hour because it just hurt like hell, so I'm back on the comfortable mattress again.  Had my morning noms, or technically early afternoon noms, and trying to convince myself that going outside is worth the aches.  I know it will be but also I don't want to be up and moving.

• Sad 1

I think a comfortable chair needs to be on my priority list.  I want to write, but sitting on the couch isn't an option, and laying in bed I can't type all that great because of the angle.  Need a good chair and a little desk. 

• Like 2

I made it outside for a few minutes, so I'm counting it!  I've failed dismally on drinking enough again though, I haven't even finished a single litre of water so far.  This is a real problem, as we roll into the summer months I need to be even more on top of my hydration.  I struggled with heat exhaustion and dehydration a lot last year, I'm not doing it again.  I did eat twice a day, and once again the dishes are staring at me longingly from the sink, but they can chill there til tomorrow.

• Like 3

Also, my hands fucking hurt.  This is the suck.  I'm fed up of complaining about it, feel like it's all I do.  But I spend a lot of time working on being positive and making the day a decent thing, the pain bits are just more vocal sometimes.  Venting my frustrations with being 31 years old and shuffling around like an old crone some days really helps me put my disappointment in the situation out into the universe and let go of it from that point in time.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Weird Zaethe-brain thing of the day.

like water.  I like the taste of it and I like how much better it hydrates me compared to other fluids.  I don't understand why I gravitate immediately towards pepsi max when I've got a couple of bucks.  It's not the caffeine, because I've got tea for caffeine if I needed it, and I don't bother with caffeine about 80% of the time anyway.  It's far too sweet for my palate, I've learned since drinking more water regularly.  But I still continue to buy it.  It's completely illogical.

I suppose it's a form of comfort eating, in a way.  But it's such a silly thing that I should be able to just pass over.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Waanie said:

Would it help you to make yourself a nice cup of tea when you gravitate towards pepsi max? If you can buy a special tea that you really like, it's even more of a treat. For me it helps to drink tea instead of other beverages or sweets, but then, I think tea is a solution for many different problems xD.

Haha you would love my tea cupboard.  I think at last count I'm stocked in about 9 different types of tea for all occasions.  It's more of a habit I need to break I think.  Honestly it could just be an addiction I haven't noticed.  Either way I've always found my best approach to those things to just be to cut them out cold turkey.

But now I'm going to make myself a nice cup of tea :D 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Zaethe said:

Haha you would love my tea cupboard.  I think at last count I'm stocked in about 9 different types of tea for all occasions.  It's more of a habit I need to break I think.  Honestly it could just be an addiction I haven't noticed.  Either way I've always found my best approach to those things to just be to cut them out cold turkey.

But now I'm going to make myself a nice cup of tea :D 

9 is a very sensible number for types of tea, unless you mean 9 types for each occasion? I don't know how many kinds of tea I have, and I probably don't want to know :lol:. I usually drink 2-3 pots of tea anyway, so it's not a problem to try something new from time to time and giving it away if I don't like it. I know that it's an addiction of mine, but I don't mind because it's not really an unhealthy addiction and drinking tea has many benefits anyway.

• Like 1
25 minutes ago, Waanie said:

9 is a very sensible number for types of tea, unless you mean 9 types for each occasion? I don't know how many kinds of tea I have, and I probably don't want to know :lol:. I usually drink 2-3 pots of tea anyway, so it's not a problem to try something new from time to time and giving it away if I don't like it. I know that it's an addiction of mine, but I don't mind because it's not really an unhealthy addiction and drinking tea has many benefits anyway.

I drink a lot of fruit infusion teas, so I kind of collect flavours there.  And then basic black teas and some rooibos as well, and some herbal teas like chamomile.  Beats fruit juice, less sugar content

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Zaethe said:

Weird Zaethe-brain thing of the day.

like water.  I like the taste of it and I like how much better it hydrates me compared to other fluids.  I don't understand why I gravitate immediately towards pepsi max when I've got a couple of bucks.  It's not the caffeine, because I've got tea for caffeine if I needed it, and I don't bother with caffeine about 80% of the time anyway.  It's far too sweet for my palate, I've learned since drinking more water regularly.  But I still continue to buy it.  It's completely illogical.

I suppose it's a form of comfort eating, in a way.  But it's such a silly thing that I should be able to just pass over.

I so get this! In my case I hate the idea of paying for bottled water when I have free and delicious tap water at home, so unless I'm feeling very dehydrated I'll always go for a soft drink when I'm out and about. The flaw in that logic is (1) soft drinks aren't healthy; and (2) tap water isn't actually free.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

I so get this! In my case I hate the idea of paying for bottled water when I have free and delicious tap water at home, so unless I'm feeling very dehydrated I'll always go for a soft drink when I'm out and about. The flaw in that logic is (1) soft drinks aren't healthy; and (2) tap water isn't actually free.

I do this too!  If I'm gonna buy a drink when I'm out why would I pay ridiculous prices for fiji water when I can have something different.

On 10/21/2019 at 11:49 PM, Zaethe said:

It's a beautiful day, and a walk to the store for some rice cakes let me enjoy it.

One of the downsides of my stupidly long allergy list is the wheat allergy.  No bread for me.  And wheat-free bread is like $6 for a half-loaf.  On my budget that's out of the question.  Which means no egg sammiches.  Sadness.  They are my favourite quick comfort food.  So I get rice cakes for $2, and have a little crunch with my eggs and peppers, but nothing really fills that soft white bread feeling sometimes.  Compromises suck sometimes.

That does mean I've eaten twice today though at least.  I've had my morning oatmeal, and my evening eggs and veggies.  Didn't hit my water goal, and dishes start tomorrow because I do them in the mornings a couple of hours after I get up.  As much as I like having them done and out of the way in the evening, I've learned that I rarely have enough spoons to do it that way.  So if I get it done earlier in the day, then it's done and I usually manage to get through the day okay, just needing a rest a bit earlier. 

I haven't ready your whole thread yet but these two things jumped out at me

1. I'm horrible at doing the dishes as well and my kitchen usually looks like a bombsite. I also **hate** to wait for things and I drink a lot of tea. So i try to rinse/stack/unpack/wipe counters/whatever while I'm waiting for the kettle. Every small bit helps I figure and it sounds like you need to be on your feet for shorter. Is there something like that you could apply?

2. the other thing is bread. I'm not allergic or anything I just try not to eat it much. One thing I've mostly replaced toast with is besan fritters: chickpea flour + whatever. Downside is mostly i fry them but they can also be baked and depending on your pans maybe you can do it without oil. You can add anything to it really. My usuals are grated veges of any kind + besan + turneric/spices + water for consistency (can make them fat like english muffins or thin like pancakes), or corn kernels + chili, or banana + cinnamon ... anything really

depending on what's in them they can be quite fluffy and slightly breadlike

• Like 1

These are great goals!

On 10/21/2019 at 1:25 AM, Zaethe said:

I came really close to going mental with my goals this challenge and pretty much setting myself up for failure, so I really had to curb back and look at the small things that make me feel good that I can compound on as time goes on.

You did an excellent job finding things that can have a positive impact, even though they're "small" things :) 

• Like 1

Challenges: 1st | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | Current

On 10/23/2019 at 1:15 PM, Ignimbrite said:

I haven't ready your whole thread yet but these two things jumped out at me

1. I'm horrible at doing the dishes as well and my kitchen usually looks like a bombsite. I also **hate** to wait for things and I drink a lot of tea. So i try to rinse/stack/unpack/wipe counters/whatever while I'm waiting for the kettle. Every small bit helps I figure and it sounds like you need to be on your feet for shorter. Is there something like that you could apply?

2. the other thing is bread. I'm not allergic or anything I just try not to eat it much. One thing I've mostly replaced toast with is besan fritters: chickpea flour + whatever. Downside is mostly i fry them but they can also be baked and depending on your pans maybe you can do it without oil. You can add anything to it really. My usuals are grated veges of any kind + besan + turneric/spices + water for consistency (can make them fat like english muffins or thin like pancakes), or corn kernels + chili, or banana + cinnamon ... anything really

depending on what's in them they can be quite fluffy and slightly breadlike

Right now the issue has been getting on top of it.  Leaving them for a week causes buildup.  Once I'm through the bulk it's just a matter of washing a couple of dishes a day luckily.  I live alone so there's very little mess I make in a single day.

Alo those sound good!  I'll look into besan fritters, thanks!

13 hours ago, bdwilson said:

These are great goals!

You did an excellent job finding things that can have a positive impact, even though they're "small" things :) 

Whew!

So it's been a mad couple of days.  I get paid every other Wednesday, so it's always a pretty busy time.  But I was late on paying the rego this quarter, so I've not been able to drive for about a month.  Finally getting it paid and sorted was a weight off, and then my Dad invited me over for dinner, and I'm not about to say no to a free feed.  So I trekked up there when I go up, spent the day playing skyrim because I don't have a tv or pc at home currently, so getting to play a game is a bit of a novelty at the moment.  Then dinner with Dad after he finished work.  Then on my way home I stopped in at a friend and picked up a little bit of weed.  So that night I slept like a baby for about 9 hours, which has become a rarity at the moment.  Getting to sleep is a struggle and then on bad nights I can't stay asleep.  The smoke helps me not kill the pain, but make it tolerable enough to actually rest.  Which is nice once in a while.

So then yesterday I went out and did a little grocery shopping, came home and finally got more on top of my dishes situation, cleared up some boxes I still had yet to pack, and then my spoons just kinda ran out and I ended up falling asleep at 2am after half catnapping for a few hours.

It was nice to get some productive things done, and also take a little time for myself to get some real rest.  I don't do it a regularly as I would like to, but it's real nice when I do.

• Like 3

Weekends in a gated community kinda suck for the grouchy.  All I wanna do is curl up in some peace and quiet and catnap in the sunshine streaming in through the window, because my hips actually feel okay right now.  But upstairs has a kid who loves to run in the house on the weekends, three doors down has forgotten that other people live in units attached to theirs, and has cranked their stereo to 11, the other upstairs neighbours are being as loud and obnoxious as they usually are, which mostly includes them having shouted conversations from the base of the outdoor stairs to inside their unit.

It's gonna be a long, noisy day.

• Sad 1