Quinn tries to focus

Quirky Quinn

pbs are Awesome!  and as you say (IMHO) they feel a little confusing.

as you say you'll have a session where you didn't feel that good and WOOP its a pb...

another time when you feel Great! and the miles just seem to melt away!!

and then... WTF.  11:3min/mile!?  seriously What the HECK!

I can only think that How you feel is just one of many, many variables that determine running speed.  Even actual pain CAN speed you up or slow you down.

I think the only generally rule that applies is that the Longer you have been running the More there is a REASON (good or bad) for any given PR.

maybe you just gotta go PEE and your fantasizing getting back to the house so you can do it in privacy... or truly a big ole' runners high is hiding all the runner fatigue and discomfort you should feel.

but something....

• Like 1

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 10/24/2019 at 3:34 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

Thanks Rho!  

You know what those types of things are like, lots of time spent sat in uncomfortable chairs listening to the horror stories about what will happen next week.  When the reality is that we are as prepared as we can be and if some unforseen event means that something goes wrong there's nothing we can do to stop it now!

The whole thing is a massive clusterf*ck!

Anyway, I had a quick scan of your new challenge and good luck, I'm sure you'll find your feet soon enough and if you ever need a hand feel free to give me a shout!  I'll be following along!

Thank you! Yeah... Brexit is just a bunch of suits yelling loudly in parliament and privately knowing that all roads will lead to ruin.

On 10/25/2019 at 9:12 AM, Quirky Quinn said:

Yesterday was tough!

I spent the morning at the Seminar I mentioned above,  it was uncomfortable and tiring and boring and about a subject that just shouldn't exist, I don't want to get political at all but Brexit is the single biggest risk to our countries future and it is entirely of our own making, I just people could stand back and look at it objectively rather than being so polarised and dismissive of facts as they are presented.

As a result I overate at lunch, not by loads but  I made bad choices in the shop on the way back to the office.  Need to keep that in check.

Anyway, when I got back to the office I managed to get my standing time done and my squatting, when I "squat" I still can get my foot flat on the floor, I have some terrible mobility in my ankles and it's going to take some serious work to get a flat footed rested squat but I'll keep persisting because even with raised ankles I am noticing some real improvement in my mobility just from doing the squatting each day.  I didn't walk as there just wasn't enough time.

We had tea when I got home which was good, Sausage and Sweet Potato Mash with Carrot, Broccoli and Gravy.  But because I'd overeaten at lunch I couldn't finish it.  Then I put Little Quinn to bed and Mrs Quinn decided she was having an early night so I had free reign over the house!  I wanted to slob in front of the TV and do nothing but I forced myself out for a run.

The run was hard.  I felt lethargic and my legs were heavy, the first 1k was slow and painful.  So far when I have been struggling on the run it has been with getting breathless but last night was more about muscle fatigue.  But I settled into a stride helped by the awesome playlist tracks that came on and I got through it, so suffice to say that when I checked my time I was astounded that I'd beat my PB by over a minute! Finishing in 33m9s!  

I then streched for 15 minutes focusing on the legs which had felt so heavy during the early part of the run and played FarCry5 for an hour or two before bed.

There were a number of times yesterday where I could've given myself an excuse to sack off the run or have thrown the diet rules out the window but I didn't and when the run got difficult I carried on and got through it resulting in a great time.  I'm really pleased with that, it shows charracter and that I am building a level of responsibility to myself and my longer term goals rather than constatnly trying to satisfy the instant gratification monkey!

IGM.png

Good job on the PB! And the stretching - Jeez do I need to remember to do this more!

I won't talk more Brexit - it's kinda like poking your finger into the bullet hole that you shot into your own foot to make it hurt more. 

• Like 1

“All You Have To Decide Is What To Do With The Time That Is Given To You.” - Gandalf

Current Challenge: A Bold New Year

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10|11|12|13 1415|16|17|18|19|20|21|22|23|24|25|26|2728 29|30

The Chronicles of Rhovaniel, Dúnedain Ranger: Vol I, Vol IIVol III, Interim| Vol IV|Vol V 

Hi Quinn! I really enjoy your updates and your goals look terrific. So glad you're here and we're all rooting for you!

In case you'd like another dwarf for your running inspiration:

tumblr_n6u0nttgQP1rokjk7o2_r1_500.gif 

SKY ELVENWORD NOBLEHEART

The Silver Archer, Ranger Level 53

Jesus-follower | Writer | Encourager | Resident Myers-Briggs and Enneagram Geek 

"Knowing that we can be loved exactly as we are gives us all the best opportunity for growing into the healthiest of people." - Fred Rogers

The Weekend...

I’ve slacked off a bit this weekend but in all fairness I’;d geared my weekend around a game of football that was cancelled because of the weather.

Friday I stretched and squatted, walked and stood at work as normal.  I didn’t run as I had planned to take the day easy so that I was fresh for my game Saturday.  I found out at 11.30pm the game had been cancelled so that was a little to late to do anything about it!

Saturday was thrown into doubt, but I thought I’d take advantage of the free day and took little Quinn out for the day.  My cousin runs a farm and one of her dogs had just had a litter of Black Lab pups so we went to see them, very nice and LQ was in love but we can’t have a dog because we are all out of the house weekdays and poo.  Then we spent the afternoon catching up and helping out with a few jobs around the farm that were kid appropriate.  It was a nice day, but not very active really.  I had planned to go for a run to compensate for the lack of a game but I never made it.  MRSQ made an excellent dinner and by the time I’d got home, had tea and put  LQ to bed it was time to chill out.

Sunday we went as a family to another farm!  I know, but this time it was a diversified one and they had pumpkin carving going on for the kids so we spent a good few hours there walking around and petting animals, playing in the maze, sand pit, etc.  Whilst LQ played in the sand I set my self the challenge of balancing on the edge of the sandpit and balancing tightrope style around the perimeter of the sand pit which was about 50feet in total.  The perimeter was a round, wooden log about an inch wide and two feet off the ground.  It’s was way tougher than it looked and even after about half an hour of trying I only made it about half way, I’m chalking this up as my agility training for this week and I enjoyed just playing with my surroundings quite a lot, I’m going to be more aware of my environment and take advantage more I think.  After the farm we went out for dinner and I had a massive burrito and some dessert.  It was awesome but it was a bit naughty.  The planned run afterwards did not happen!

I am on my iPad at the moment and uploading pictures seems like it would be hard work so I’ll wait until I’m back at my laptop.

So onto today and this week.  It’s half term this week and I am having some time off with LQ.  We are going on a walk soon and I WILL run today!  I’m hoping that a few days off will mean that I will be fresh and ready to go at a decent pace.   Based on how that goes I will see how to plan out the rest of the week.  I also need to get some contingency plans ready for if football is cancelled because when I lose structure like that everything seems to be a little unplanned and that’s when inconsistency creeps in!

Have a great week everyone!

• Like 3

What a fun weekend!  So glad you were able to have fun with your family, even if the training didn't quite happen the way you wanted.

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

Walking with friends and family!

Yesterday was a lovely day!  As I mentioned it’s half term and I’ve a couple of days off with LQ to enjoy.  Yesterday we went and redid the first half of the walk I did by myself a couple of weeks ago.  We took in a Forrest and two waterfalls.  At the last minute my mum and sister in law decided to come along with her kids too.  We got the picnic sack ready and off we went!  The first half of the walk was good, the kids got tired on the way back and ice cream was required as a bribe to get them home!  LQ slept like a log on the way home and I think it was a successful day!

In the evening I made a nice hunters chicken dish and after we put LQ to bed I got out for my much needed run.  It was good, I felt good and although no quicker than the PB run last week I consolidated the 33m and a bit time so it feels like that’s the new normal now.  

Today LQ and I have come to a theme park, she’s a little small for some of the rides but the ones she’s been on she’s enjoyed and it’s been another day packed with a load of walking. 

Run tonight and back to work tomorrow, so normality should be resumed! 

I&E.png

• Like 3

Yesterday was fun!

LQ & I went to a theme park and it was "fright week" they had a bunch of people wandering around the park dressed up and generally scaring people, as LQ is only 4 we stayed in the more sedate areas and had a great time on some rides, watching magic shows, all that good stuff!

I went out and ran when we got home 5k in 32m40s which is another PB!  Really pleased that the focused effort on the running is having a positive effect on times, I'm excited to see where I get to by the end of this 5 weeks.  But at the same time I'm looking forward to being able to focus more on some of my other goals because they are more exciting than the running ones!  

Another positive is that the scales and tape continue to go in the right direction.  I hit another significant milestone here today and although not the main driver for my renewed focus on creating a functionally fit body its a nice by-product.

Today I am back in work and feeling ready to go after a nice long break with my family where I did not reply to a single email (unheard of for me) whilst off.  I can get back into my work routine of streching, squatting and walk.  

Tonight though I am going out for dinner with some vistors we have in the office, which means missing football and probably not being able to get out for a run.  I says something about where I am right now vrs where I was a couple of months ago that I would love to be able to ditch the work thing in favour of the excercise but alas, that's not possible today!

Hope you all have a great day!

• Like 3

Not a lot to say about yesterday..

So I wont say much!

Positives - I stood, walked and squatted at work.  I had a day of meetings and networking with colleagues who aren't in the country very often.  I had a nice meal out during which I made good food choices and didn't drink.

Negatives - I missed football training and didn't excercise.  I have a whole bunch of work that piled up during my couple of days off and being stuck in meetings means that I haven't been able to tackle it yet.

Today - I will eat well, run, smash this work backlog and enjoy a movie with MrsQ this evening

Have a good one people!

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I have a whole bunch of work that piled up during my couple of days off

That always gets me. Taking a break just means that I have to work twice (or thrice) as hard on my return. One of the most challenging things about taking a break is trying to forget this fact. Anyway, I hope you don't get more interruptions and you're able to clear it quickly.

Enjoy the movie.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: More treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

The suprising impact of a productive day!

I dropped LQ off at my parents before work yesterday.  She is spending the last couple of days of her half term holiday with them.  It meant that I was rushing around to get her there and then to work in time and I had to grab breakfast on the run, no biggie, I had porridge.  But one of my dietary things lately has been trying not to eat whilst doing other things and to take time over my food, but needs must!

I got LQ to her Nanas and then got into work.  QUickly updated here and then settled down into a really productive work day.  I think I've refined my task segments well now and I blasted through a bunch of email and admin tasks and then settled into some really focused project time whilst still getting in my walking and squatting and standing time.  That big pile f work that had built up over the first three days of the week is a lot smaller now!

Of course, with LQ at my parents we had a free evening!  Midweek free evening feel a little bit like cheating so we had planned to take advantage by going to the cinema and for dinner.  But I knew I wanted to run before we went.  After missing training last night I really wanted to make sure that I got the run done, it was cold and wet but I still got out there and did it.

On the run itself I felt good.  I noticed that without really thinking the default pace I was running at seemed to be higher.  I was running fast in the normal parts of the run where I know my pace is good but in the slower (inclined) parts where am usually much slower I was faster too (if that makes sense).  I felt good, maybe it was having the evening off yesterday or maybe it was that I knew I had to amke good time if we were going to make the cinema but I was on fire!

Time, oh yeah, time.

run.thumb.png.bfd87b820675f54ee8762c2dd8998684.png

Really pleased withthe progress so far!  That means that since the start of 0 week I have been on 6 runs, the first one being at 34m39s and yesterdays down to 30m45s!  I think that's great progress and I'm really pleased with how things are going!  I am not going to run today as its football tomorrow and I want to be fresh but I'm looking forward to consolidating my times over the weekend.  I think now the tough work will start though.  I think that getting from here to under the 30m mark and then consolidating that time will be tough, it requires keeping up a pace which has evaded me so far but practice and persistance will hopefully get me there!

Although I wont be happy until Strava calls it a run instead of a walk!

We went to watch Joker by the way and what a film!  Joaquin Pheonix's performance is beyond anything I've seen in recent years and I enjoyed also DeNiro as a late night host, he could pull that off in real life I recon!

Have a good weekend everybody!

• Like 4

That means that since the start of 0 week I have been on 6 runs, the first one being at 34m39s and yesterdays down to 30m45s.

An 11% improvement in a couple of weeks! I'm no expert but that sounds pretty impressive.

We went to watch Joker by the way and what a film!

Marks out of ten? I know the film has certainly divided critics so it would be nice to have a cinema-goer's opinion. A good DC film would also help to bring balance to the force (I know I'm mangling universes).

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

4 hours ago, Quirky Quinn said:

On the run itself I felt good.  I noticed that without really thinking the default pace I was running at seemed to be higher.  I was running fast in the normal parts of the run where I know my pace is good but in the slower (inclined) parts where am usually much slower I was faster too (if that makes sense).  I felt good, maybe it was having the evening off yesterday or maybe it was that I knew I had to amke good time if we were going to make the cinema but I was on fire!

Time, oh yeah, time.

run.thumb.png.bfd87b820675f54ee8762c2dd8998684.png

Although I wont be happy until Strava calls it a run instead of a walk!

there's something weird about that

this is a pace of 10Minutes per mile.  That is far faster than hardly anyone can walk!  (well, Idk, far faster than anyone Would walk)

I'm not familiar with strava app- I use a gps watch then Export it into strava instead.

but I don't think it was that you are too slow and strava assumes you were walking.  More likely, it is there a setting somewhere when you start recording your workout?

---

anyways. congrats!  those are great numbers IMHO.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

10 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

Marks out of ten? I know the film has certainly divided critics so it would be nice to have a cinema-goer's opinion. A good DC film would also help to bring balance to the force (I know I'm mangling universes).

I genuinely loved it.  It was so different from anything else that has come out of either Marvel or DC.  It felt like a grown up movie and challenged the audience in ways I think a lot of popular cinema is scared to do.  A 9/10 for me.

I asked MrsQ who she felt was more relatable after seeing both origins stories, Batman or the Joker and she was hands down team Joker so score one for the serial murderer! 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, TGP said:

but I don't think it was that you are too slow and strava assumes you were walking.  More likely, it is there a setting somewhere when you start recording your workout?

---

anyways. congrats!  those are great numbers IMHO.

3 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

10 minutes per mile is running. Don’t you have to select run or walk on Strava? I think it starts and stops elapsed time with running more readily than walking.

Cheers guys! I hadn’t checked if it was an automatic thing based on pace or you had to change a setting, you have to change a setting.

I did change it before I headed out tonight but as a result of tinkering I then did my run without pressing the start button and didn’t record my run!  

I think Strava has it in for me!

Isnt it weird that it feels like the run doesn’t count because I didn’t record it.  The run felt good and I think was a good time but I feel unsatisfied! 

• Like 3

A good weekend, but still no football!

I found out on Friday that our football game on Saturday had been cancelled due to the weather.  That was pretty anoying as it means we haven't played for two weeks now.  But after last week I was better prepared for it.  I decided that I would run on Friday and Sunday, on Saturday I would have a day off and it seemed to work.  I got both of those runs in (even if the Friday one wasn't recorded by Strava!)

Food over the weekend was pretty good.  I was at a Bonfire party on Saturday and managed to stay away from the massive amount of party food on offer there and Sunday I was at a kids birthday party and stayed away from that hot mess too!  I did have a piece of Tiffin and it was spectacular!

On my run on Sunday, it felt hard and my headphones ran out of battery half way round so I had to actually listen to the world and my brain!  I think this made it a difficult one but I powered through and got it done.  I had been really happy with my times the last few runs and I had knocked a bunch of time of my PB's each run.

This one came in at 29m36s  which means I have beaten my Endurance target for this challenge which was to run 5k in less than 30mins!  I am really happy with this!  It is a massive amount of progress in a short amount of time and it shows me that a focus on a specific target can move the numbers successfully.  I'm going to take this into future challenges.

But it does raise a question of where do I go for the rest of this challenge, and I think the answer is to continue to focus on Endurance, I will make sure that this pace is not a one off or doesn't drop below.  The challenge becomes one of consolidation now.  I will continue to focus on running 4 times per week and l will continue to do my maintenance in the other areas.  My pullup bar & rings should finally arrive today and I will be at football training this week so I should be able to get those other things done!

This week I will Run Mon, Tue and Thurs with football training on Wednesday and a Game (hopefully!) on Saturday.  Depending on how I'm feeling after all that I may run again on Sunday.  Potential slip ups that I need to be aware of are a meal out for curry on Wednesday with the football team and an all day training course on Friday that will no doubt be full of unhealthy snacking options so I need to prepare for those and ensure I have them covered.

Have a great week everyone.

• Like 6
On 11/1/2019 at 8:14 PM, Quirky Quinn said:

I genuinely loved it.  It was so different from anything else that has come out of either Marvel or DC.  It felt like a grown up movie and challenged the audience in ways I think a lot of popular cinema is scared to do.  A 9/10 for me.

I definitely plan to see it, then. My main worry is that my wife won't be able to handle it so I'll wait until it's on blu-ray (we can stop it and I can watch the rest on my own). She finds Gotham difficult to watch.

___

___

I hung out yesterday!

My pull up bar and rings came yesterday, finally! I got it set up when I got home from work and started experimenting with hanging, wide grip, narrow grip, positive & negative posistions and I realised I have a long way to go.  Lot's of practice and time spent on the bar required in order to progress this goal.  For the rest of this challenge I will continue to just play and spend as much time hanging as possible.  I might make this the focus of my next challenge.  

With the rings my plan is to set them up on the tree in the garden but I'm going to wait for a little bit better weather before I go ahead with that one.

Yesterday food was pretty good, porridge for breakfast a chicken sandwich for lunch and chicken and bacon pesto pasta for tea which was brilliant.  I stood, walked and squatted at work and went for my run in the evening.

The run felt good, I felt fast and twinge free, I noticed some real improvement in my running gait and seemed to have more of spring in my step.  I thought I was going to fly home with a great time but it came in at 31m45s.  This was way slower than Sunday and slower than the Friday run also.  I guess the reason I felt good was that I was running within myself,  I'm not beating myself up about it.  I am fairly new to running with this much focus on a goal and I am way ahead of where I thought I would be at this stage.  I think I need to concentrate on pacing and now I've switched on run on strava I think I can get audio cues for pacing etc.  I might start playing with those.

So a good day, with a little suprise in the run.  Today I will aim for a similar day  to yesterday, nice and focused at work and then a decent run tonight.

Have a good day everyone!

• Like 3
On 11/4/2019 at 4:06 AM, Quirky Quinn said:

I had to actually listen to the world and my brain! 

Mine would have me running in circles....

Great job hitting your goal on the frunning!  And I think endurance is a great goal to keep with for the rest of the challenge!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

38 minutes ago, Novaurora said:

Mine would have me running in circles....

Great job hitting your goal on the frunning!  And I think endurance is a great goal to keep with for the rest of the challenge!

Thanks Nova!

You know, over the last few weeks I've noticed that I block my brain out an awful lot.  If I am pottering around doing chours at home I have an audio book on.  If I am in the car driving I have an audio book on, if I am at work I have a low level of music on in the background, out running?  Music on full blast.  In bed, watching something on Netflix to drop off too.  

The only time I don't have a "brain blocker" on the go is my afternoon walk at work where I intentionally leave my devices on my desk.  But that is 15 mins a day where I let my thoughts wander - I don't think its enough!  I might try to add in some more intentional brain wandering time for abstract thought but I've no idea when right now!

• Like 3

This part of the forum is so active, it's really nice to find such a supportive bunch to share progress with.  Thanks!

Although I keep dropping onto the second page!

Yesterday was another good day.  I eat well, stood, squatted, walked, hung and ran!  It was also another productive day in the office.

Hanging is hard, way harder than I thought it would be.  I can manage say 20secs tops in one go.  The most I've managed in a day is about 3 and a half miniutes.  The main problem?  My hands!  They hurt after a very small amount of time!  I wonder if my grip is right?  I will have to do some reserach.

Run was good to, I set up the voice alerts on Strava so that at each 1k interval it gave me my time overall, distance and the time of my last 1k.  It was really motivating getting that split time and gave me a boost as I dropped off in speed towards the end of the run.  My splits were

1k 5.34

2k 6.08

3k 6.08

4k 6.06

5k 6.15

Total 30m11secs

So I dont quite have my pacings right I went off to quick and didn't have enough in the tank for the last 1000m (which is also uphill!)  but it was a good run and progress from yesterday.  I will definately keep the interval voice alerts on for future runs.

Today is football training so looking forward to that and then for a curry with the football lads afterwards.  I wont be having a drink but I'm looking forward to some good food, potentially involving naan bread!

Enjoy your day all.

• Like 3