TGP voyages to the Edge of the Map!

TGP

EVERYTHING IS JAMMED

Heehee~

So sorry about the scare with your dad, I'm glad he is all right at this moment!! Parents getting old is tough stuff - I caretake for my mom a lot here, and seeing those aging changes is rough - but at least you get to be there for him and go through it together! Hoping you can get some answers and clarity soon, if only for peace of mind!!

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

welp

this is what you get from trying to "guess" what a weekend will be like...

it wasn't that athletic.

Sunday's run fell through and helping my dad cut wood was more uncomfortable than athletic.

Yeah, I still got doms.  I've been ignoring my upper body between the hiking and running.  I'm feeling weak and not too happy about that.

I used to have a good (though limited) weightlifting routine.  I NEED a weightlifting routine (or something!)...

and not to be TOO Much of a downer; but my normally happy morning run was ruined was forgetting something then making a poor choice of route.

It was very Heavy fog/mist this morning (as there was rain last night)... I forgot my head lamp, so I decided I couldn't go and do the normal dirt roads I have been running.

but my choice; a steep road out of town wasn't a good one

there is An unbelievably huge amount of traffic coming down that road.  Who Knew!?!

well maybe I should have thought a little harder about it- its one of the few roads from the south that go to warren and is paved the whole way.

anyways....

I'm not as bummed out as it may sound- but plans didn't really work out that nicely.  it happens. 

• Like 5

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

On 10/22/2019 at 6:21 PM, TGP said:

anyways.  you never get over the fun of getting something.

Happy very belated birthday, but may it be a blessedly great time anyway!

Totally agree on it always being fun to get something. Especially if it's something you really wanted.

So sorry the weekend plans didn't work out.

• Like 2

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Yay, did my class today.  kind of funny how that worked...

for awhile I was Going to go to my class; but I never did- it was too late,etc.  I even paid for a month!

so a couple days ago I had the weekend, where just a little splitting wood was really tough that bothered me! and I told myself- Nevermind the CLASS

we need to get strong! we need to do weights!!

so...this morning got up early, early enough and headed over to the YMCA with the intention of weightlifting.

but at the desk, the whole idea of the class starts to get to me.  "is the class starting soon?" I ask... "yeah sure right in the Gymn, gymn B..."

welp maybe I ought to TRY the class- (you Can try anyclass for free on the first time).... Jena recognizes me gives me a big "hey" and sets me up

10minutes Later... "I'm IN!  I'm doing this for Years!!"

it was a KICK in the pants class (actually called boot camp), very hard and challenging- I did everything wrong

and I think thats ... strangely... motivating!

besides... when you gasping and struggling as a whole class is doing "thrusters" and "singleleg deadlifts" (not too mention REALLY long wall sits)

and EVERYONE else looks like they are doing it effortlessly.

well

its a little embarassing and its a little like; if THEY can do it, Why can't I?

the only reason is that I'm a Newb and truthfully, apparently, I'm out of shape.

running is NOT  a whole body workout.  I think this class will (in time) make a BIG change.

they are giving me one extra free class- and the new signup is for november.

ok... thats my big update.  time is short (now) I'll catch up later in the day...Jason

9c4758c3125cbfd8a02563825190e52b.jpg

• Like 7

ty.

Yes, I really did enjoy.  the teacher (Jena) did a class (lets call it bodyweight aerobics) that I did for years.  she's awesome- very athletic and fit

and Patient but with enough awareness that my form improved considerably in the last class

the big difference, here, is that this NEW class is much tougher.  

--- 

I kind of feel that you guys might not know why I'm dissapointed with my weekend effort to help my dad cut,split and move wood.

lets go visual...

my watch measures a constant heart rate even when I haven't started a work out.

this is what Saturday looks like...

0aDu7dY.png

Now Look at the Run the Day before  and Remember THIS was a LOWINTENSITY run.  if I pushed myself it would be even more dramatic....

CR4SNZP.png

the Purple Line (heart rate) goes MUCH higher on even a lazy easy Run....

• Like 3

What does this mean?

it means I'm NOT fit is what it means.  it means that my aching muscles are Weak enough that I Can't get the Heart rate up Before I start feeling fatigue...

:(

I shouldn't be bothered by this (*and note this exercise class helped)... but it did bother me over the weekend.

I had a rather consistent weight training program and it sank and I fear I've lost a lot of upper body strength.

--

anyways; thats why I was moping around it on monday.

I feel better today though

I just needed to let REALITY sink in, get a little humility and say

- WELP

thats the "skip" in me- doing geeky, weak, timid stuff.... but he's in new territory NOW.  I'm in a class where they won't allow sluffing around.  this is Intervals! this is Work!

my heart rate graph looked good to me this morning.

I think I would have been better if I could have done the exercises more accurately and with better flexibility and mobility

but thats the very point of many of them.  I'll improve

and thats WHY I had to say to myslef (I'm IN)...

(and also WHY i had to write early in the morning that I'm giving this class a proper try)

I have a tendency to bail on new experiences and this is Early in the morning- 2x a week.  it will take effort and planning to ensure I have enough sleep AND exercise now 6x a week

• Like 6

Well chopping wood is pretty intense, so don't be too hard on yourself. But, I could see where with your focus on the hike, and then running, arms sort of  got forgotten about. I'm trying to sort of get into a pattern of cycling things. For the past few month, I've focus on kettlebells and strength training, this month I'm focusing a bit more on mobility. I still may do the other things, just to a lesser degree. Because it is really hard to do all the things all the time

• Like 4

Wisdom 18.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 10/29/2019 at 4:05 PM, TGP said:

get a little humility and say

- WELP

Coudn't phrase it better. 

It's already past - learn from it. Do things better now. 

And speaking of doing things - how are you doing today?

• Like 3

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

HAPPY Halloween!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6EiCNEgl1lNVJ1YQWTzF

------

How am I doing?  I'm doing Good......

Today was My second "boot camp" class. it was a deceptively easi(er) one.  we just took they little dumbbells, and did simple lifting movements.  the "sets" were rather large and soon my muscles (burley guy that I am LOL)... were feeling it.  and we did them over and OVER and OVER!

first we stood, then we lay down on a stool and Lastly and worstly we did them as planks! 

anyways those dang 'Little' lifts added up to SO many repetitions;  I swear it was over 300!  and I am SOOO feeling it.   Now lifting anything more (a cup,etc) feels like another rep and we Arms/shoulders want NO part of that.  so Boot Camp was Hardcore!!  I think thats the point.

my HR though stayed down.  Discomfort Doesn't Equal Heart Rate  at least not when it comes to lifting something.

my awesome watch has been adding a lot of extra data!  (a nerds dream come true)... and I've been noticing , specifically, sleep.  It was rather "scary"... restless- Not enough REM and too many interruptions.  Bad numbers for sure!  but I'm happy to report that the Last few days has seen definite improvement.  last night was the best of them all; lots of REM, very continuous.  not ALOT of sleep (7hours) but enough and clearly High quality.

this makes me very happy.  with 3 runs and 2 classes on a weekend - all in the morning- sleep is becoming HUGE.  if I struggle with it; something will have to give and I'll NOT do that to my new class.  but I don't want to lose the running routine... 

mood wise, I'm ok.  but I feel like I'm stretching (physically and mentally) to adjust to this much bigger exercise routine.   I LIKE the feeling but there's another side to it; it makes me feel Busy and sometimes a little fatigued.

I know what your thinking though. NO.  I don't think my body is being overtrained.  I haven't added new running volume to my routine; I've gotten back to Upper body Strength and became a Ranger again!  lots of muscles ache, (at the mo), but they are uncomfortable because they are feeling being worked.   not just hams/quads/calfs (etc).... but shoulder, and arms

I really think the new training will build and isn't too much.  also there is Now athletic time for ME every 5/7 days is a def win.

One Last little thing to report.

with all the New data from my watch I've reorganized my spreadsheet reports... "my exercise version6"-- its looking pretty awesome in my eyes... but there's continuity to the past, too

this is me since late June  

qWwTiw2.png

other cool graphs will no doubt happen in time.

• Like 4

On 10/29/2019 at 9:05 AM, TGP said:

it means that my aching muscles are Weak enough that I Can't get the Heart rate up Before I start feeling fatigue...

I am kind of in that boat too.

I am guessing bodyweight work out is what I need for now.

• Like 3

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

If you like numbers and charts, you should check out the book Fitness forGeeks. Numbers speak to me, this book has some good advice about tracking and how to get all your numbers and charts together to find the data you want.

• Like 3

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

todays been a crazy busy day for me

but I feel I must update you guys on the weekend  cuz it was so athletic!

the biggest story of the weekend though technically is more about my son than me.   Do you Guys remember How there was this HIKE that he was strugglijng with?  Morrison Run?

in the winter/spring he did it and it was too MUCH for him and we ended up making a turn less than halfways through to get back to the car?

and about 3 weeks ago (solidly the FALL); he did it; but he swallowed a bug, had an asthma attack and struggled up one of the last hill.  THAT time, we altered the Last mile or so to walk to a road I knew of, so he would have an easier time back to the Car....

well, this time, HE DID IT!  yahoo! GOOD JOB brennon!

I  had my watch on all the while during this hike and realized this really is a Pretty Hard Hike!  it has everything; a steep hill, lots of ankle turning rocks, stream crossing (5, I think), and lots of mud.

actually, conditions were HARDER this weekend than the last time he did this hike- so , I'm really proud of him.

----------

but our athletic weekend didn't stop there; we also helped the local group fix up a trail and got another walk (on sunday).   much smalller distance ofc but still Effort and still out in the elements.

and thats probably the other thing to say

boy guys ; Winter is coming almost seems wrong for this area.  Winter is HERE!   there was snow flurries in the air on Saturday morning; and on Sunday morning; there was ALMOST accumulation on the highest parts of the terrain on Sunday morning.

that MADE sunday's fixing up the trail hike, interesting.   we literally walked up into the snow.  happily sunday afternoon high was just above melting- so while it was COLD and the wind was biting.  we didn't (yet) get the difficulty of walking into snowfall.  it was more like the amount of snow; where the winds knock it of the branches as you walk (and you Hope to NOT get dumped on)

so our First little taste of winter and quite a lot of Good hardcore outdoor exercise.

----

my morning run today was also of some interest.

strangely, despite a low pace and small effort; my heart rate was unexpectedly high.

Maybe this is because I'm not quite recovered from my weekend?  idk

I don't think of my weekend as being THAT hard and I'm not sore or anything.   (keep in mind , I don't think I've lost my excellent hiking fitness from the A100...).    but anyways.  it was True.  Even a little running saw my Heart rate go way high.

so I did a bunch of intervals and embraced the High Heart rates.  there's NO law that says I can't run in zone 4&5.  (140-170)

tomarrow my class happens.

I think my arms have recovered. .... I HOPE my arms have recovered.  ;)

and thats my weekend.  I'll try to get updated on everyone as soon as I get a little time. 

• Like 12

SO MANY WINS~

My heart rate is always consistently high, and I've had every test done in the books to make sure it's ok (EKG, echo, etc.)... I also consistently operate like a hamster on crack so I mean, I'm not surprised.

IT'S GONNA SNOW HERE TOO THURSDAY AAAAAAA WINTER (I'm kinda looking forward to winter hikes)

• Like 6

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

2 hours ago, shaar said:

My heart rate is always consistently high, and I've had every test done in the books to make sure it's ok (EKG, echo, etc.)... I also consistently operate like a hamster on crack so I mean, I'm not surprised.

Trust us shaar, none of us are surprised to hear this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

Awesome weekend, and your son's accomplishment has a lot to do with you being a great mentor. :)

A heart rate that is faster than usual is often a sign to take an extra rest day.  Remember, you build fitness when you rest so get enough!  Though you never seem to burn out so I should probably stop mothering you...

• Like 3

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

11 hours ago, TGP said:

embraced the High Heart rates.  there's NO law that says I can't run in zone 4&5

Not sure why- makes me grin. Glad you shared!

• Like 1

Current Challenge

Spoiler

Week #0Food logging: ☑☑☑ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #1Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐

Week #2Food logging:  Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Week #3Food logging: ☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐

Week #4Food logging: ☐☐☐☐☐ Movement☐☐☐☐☐

Previous challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #4.5 #5

Level 3 Lycan Ranger

Workout audiobook: Patriot Games

Looking for accountability buddies: Strava My FitnessPal Moov Google Fit

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Awesome weekend, and your son's accomplishment has a lot to do with you being a great mentor. :)

A heart rate that is faster than usual is often a sign to take an extra rest day.  Remember, you build fitness when you rest so get enough!  Though you never seem to burn out so I should probably stop mothering you...

that's my friend, Jeff's thoughts as well

What do you Know!? I didn't really think of that saturday Hike as THAT Hard (?)

ok

perhaps working "harder" yet wasn't really the best call.

at any rate, I've made up my mind about wednesday's (tomorrow's) run.

I'm going back to that road- as it was fairly smooth with nice rolling terrain ... and if my heart rate again seems stubbornly high... I will do More walking.

I'll walk the whole thing if I have too....

one shouldn't go Hard on an easy day- and tomorrow must be an easy day. (!)

----

thanks for everyone's nice thoughts-I make sure brennon knows.  OTOH; he asked me is there any OTHER loop trails except morrison and minister.

actually there are several - its just THOSE 2 trails, feel particularly athletic and I gravitate towards them.

but the kid has earned a break hasn't he?

..... Cold Wet rain today.  Not wintry but I'm not sure its a great improvement. its definitely cooler than it was.   this time of year- as the temps decline;  weather that we were having just 2-3 weeks ago can seem idyllic and wonderful.

and I hate to say it but perhaps 70* temps; tee-shirt weather, etc is over for the whole year.

:(

sigh

is it common to feel less and less happy about winter as one gets older?  I'm not sure, I CAN dislike the winter much more.  I really detest it.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQLkX8Q9h66kidOIEU9AN0

think happy thoughts,right?

• Like 3