Jump to content

Cheetah learns as he goes.


Cheetah

Recommended Posts

Hello friends.  :-)

 

My last few challenges have been pretty slack.  I got a big promotion that came with a lot of extra work and a total overhaul of my daily schedule.  It threw everything into chaos and my meager attempts to stay active were totally derailed.  One thing I've kind of stayed good on is Intuitive (or Mindful) Eating.  It's been hit-and-miss for sure, but overall I'm sticking with it.  I've been able to maintain my weight between 190-200.  A weight goal is not the point of mindful eating, but I would be lying if I ever said it wasn't important to me.  Maybe some day I'll evolve to that level of enlightenment, but for now I need my pants to fit.

 

I feel like things have settled down a bit.  My kids are back in school and car pooling.  I've caught up on most of the backlog that was left by the person I replaced (and the person before him), so my work has settled into something like a routine, or at least a manageable level of disorder.  I'm finding places in my day to do a little bit of something for my fitness.  Over the last few weeks, I've got a few lifting sessions in, and I've come to accept that I'm out of shape.  Like, all the way back to starting at 0 out of shape.  The problem I have is that I always want to start too fast and do too much without building up to it.  My knees and shoulder have started to complain a little bit about the lifting - the sets I did were a bit aggressive.  I need to work back up to it, because I'm very prone to overuse injury and I have to just live with that fact and figure out what I can do that won't make my joints angry.  For me this will involve a considerable amount of letting go of perfectionist notions about what fitness means and the best way to get there.  I've been working on letting go of this for a few weeks now, and I'm making a lot of progress.

 

This challenge will be an exploration.  I'm feeling my way back into fitness, so I can find a path that works for me.  I don't have a lot of time.  I can't work too hard too soon.  I have to accept my reality and do my best.  Here's what I have in mind for goals:

 

Food - eat mindfully.  I've said it before and I'll say it again for those who are new here and as a reminder to myself.  Mindful eating for me means following 4 principles:

  1.  Honor Hunger.  Eat when I need to eat.

  2.  Honor Fullness.  Don't eat when I don't need to eat.

  3.  Honor Nutrition.  Try to make healthful food choices whenever possible.

  4.  Honor Taste.  If healthful food sounds like crap at the moment, eat something that sounds good instead, as long as the first 3 principles are followed.

 

I'd like to be able to track mindfulness at each meal, so that I can see my successes as clearly as my missteps, but I don't know how realistic that is.  I'll probably just track daily.

 

Exercise - do something.  I want this to be a little more structured that just "do anything"  so here's what I'm going to try:

  1.  3 times/week

  2.  3 times / day

  3.  10 burpees

 

I don't know how well burpees will work for me, but I'm going to try it out for a week and see how it goes.

 

I think that's it.  Happy Challenge!

 

 

 

  • Like 7

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
10 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I've come to accept that I'm out of shape.  Like, all the way back to starting at 0 out of shape.  The problem I have is that I always want to start too fast and do too much without building up to it.  My knees and shoulder have started to complain a little bit about the lifting - the sets I did were a bit aggressive.  I need to work back up to it, because I'm very prone to overuse injury and I have to just live with that fact and figure out what I can do that won't make my joints angry.  For me this will involve a considerable amount of letting go of perfectionist notions about what fitness means and the best way to get there.  I've been working on letting go of this for a few weeks now, and I'm making a lot of progress.

 

This challenge will be an exploration.  I'm feeling my way back into fitness, so I can find a path that works for me.  I don't have a lot of time.  I can't work too hard too soon.  I have to accept my reality and do my best. 

 

 

Frickadoodle are you me?  'Cause seriously, I think we're on the same timeline lately.  Phew.  Life why you gotta BE LIKE THAT AND GET IN THE WAY OF OUR UNBREAKABLE GERIATRIC YEARS PLANS

 

source.gif

 

We got this~ :DDDD

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Link to post

It's in the water!  I swear!      Right here with you on the slacking challenges, and the need to confess I've lost a few rungs on my ladder of in shapeness!     I told my coworker today, I am starting at the first step!  Because I'd rather go out there, lift light, with good form and feel GOOD about it, then try to just lift a little lighter than before, feel frustrated I am not 'where I was' and then end up mega sore with body parts yelling at me.

 

We can start at step one - that doesn't mean the next steps will take forever.  I bet if we start at the beginning, we'll be able to progress faster and safer than we did the first time around.

 

NEW BEGINNINGS!

 

  • Like 1

Level 70 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

 

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

 

 

Link to post

I'm in for the I've-been-slacking-the-last-few-challenges club.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post

There really must be something in the water. I'm in the same club. Following!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

 

Spoiler

 

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

 

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

 

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

 

Link to post
3 hours ago, shaar said:

 

Frickadoodle are you me?  'Cause seriously, I think we're on the same timeline lately.  Phew.  Life why you gotta BE LIKE THAT AND GET IN THE WAY OF OUR UNBREAKABLE GERIATRIC YEARS PLANS

 

source.gif

 

We got this~ :DDDD

 

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

It's in the water!  I swear!      Right here with you on the slacking challenges, and the need to confess I've lost a few rungs on my ladder of in shapeness!     I told my coworker today, I am starting at the first step!  Because I'd rather go out there, lift light, with good form and feel GOOD about it, then try to just lift a little lighter than before, feel frustrated I am not 'where I was' and then end up mega sore with body parts yelling at me.

 

We can start at step one - that doesn't mean the next steps will take forever.  I bet if we start at the beginning, we'll be able to progress faster and safer than we did the first time around.

 

NEW BEGINNINGS!

 

 

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm in for the I've-been-slacking-the-last-few-challenges club.

 

2 hours ago, Shello said:

There really must be something in the water. I'm in the same club. Following!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Following along x

 

8 minutes ago, deftona said:

I'm another slacker sliding in to follow you changing that slackerish path.

 

 

Thank you all; it's nice to know I'm not alone!  :-)

  • Like 3

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
20 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you’re looking for a plan that fits your schedule, I ran across this a while ago.

 

https://breakingmuscle.com/fitness/the-bathroom-break-kettlebell-strength-plan

 

 

That's a great article, thanks!  I'll give it a try.

 

19 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

FOR HONOR!

 

DEATH OR GLORY!!

 

Yesterday I was sucessful with mindful eating.  I also did one set of 10 burpees.  My shoulder was not really happy about the pushups, but it's a little better today.  Tonight when I get home I'll try the circuit from the article that Sloth posted; it sounds about my speed.  I'll probably start with a pretty light weight, maybe 10 lbs. 

 

In other news, I feel like I might be getting sick.  I'm taking fire cider and elderberry syrup to try to stave it off, but it might be too late.  Here's hoping for the best.

  • Like 4

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
3 hours ago, Cheetah said:

fire cider

 

WOW what is

 

THIS??

 

DSC_3079_800x.progressive.jpg?v=1571233703

 

I'm interested!!!

 

(ps, stay well!!)

  • Like 1

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 50 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

»  kom starkru

Link to post
6 hours ago, shaar said:

THIS??

 

That's the brand I buy!  It's amazing stuff.  It gives your immune system a massive kick in the arse, and it's also delicious!  I'm going to make my own once I go shopping this week, but it takes a month to brew up a batch so I bought some to get me through till then. 

 

Food today was mindful.  I didn't exercise but I will tomorrow.  This afternoon Sally broke down while my wife was with her picking up the kids, so I had to go rescue and limp her home.  She had thrown her serpentine belt, so I replaced that and she promptly roasted the new one.  Turns out her alternator was totally seized.  So I replaced that and put on a new belt, and now she's good as new.  Good old Sally.  :-)

  • Like 6

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post

Yesterday was mostly good.  I ate mindfully until dinner, where I ate fast and missed the fullness signal by a little.  Then I had twice as much ice cream as I needed.  I know we've talked about how not battling ice cream might be better than battling ice cream, and that eventually the ice cream will lose it's appeal, but I'm not so sure that's the way to go.  I'm going to keep thinking about this.

 

I did exercise.  I did the break time circuit once in the morning and once in the afternoon, and that felt pretty good.

  • Like 4

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
30 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

Yesterday was mostly good.  I ate mindfully until dinner, where I ate fast and missed the fullness signal by a little.  Then I had twice as much ice cream as I needed.  I know we've talked about how not battling ice cream might be better than battling ice cream, and that eventually the ice cream will lose it's appeal, but I'm not so sure that's the way to go.  I'm going to keep thinking about this.

Then let's stop talking about "as much ice cream as I needed." No one NEEDS ice cream. We eat it because it tastes good. Maybe it would be more helpful to talk about "I ate more ice cream after I felt satisfied." Even if that were the case, it would merely be an observation, not a value judgement. It would neither be good nor bad, it would simply be. By merely phrasing it as "as much as I needed" you are setting yourself up for a battle whether you want one or not. Simply let go.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post
3 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Then let's stop talking about "as much ice cream as I needed." No one NEEDS ice cream. We eat it because it tastes good. Maybe it would be more helpful to talk about "I ate more ice cream after I felt satisfied." Even if that were the case, it would merely be an observation, not a value judgement. It would neither be good nor bad, it would simply be. By merely phrasing it as "as much as I needed" you are setting yourself up for a battle whether you want one or not. Simply let go.

 

Excellent point.  I'll try to re-frame it that way.

  • Like 2

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post

Yesterday I ate mindfully for breakfast and lunch, but at dinner time I think I may have gone a little over.  I'm still working on re-framing my ice cream consumption.  I'm sure that I'm eating my feelings at the end of the day, and using ice cream to unwind and decompress, which is not mindful.  I think I might need to find an alternate coping mechanism.

 

I didn't exercise exactly, but I did the shopping and parked as far away from the stores as possible, so that doubled the amount of walking from what I usually do.  I'll try to get at least one circuit in today.

  • Like 1

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post

I was just complaining to my beautiful and insightful wife about how hard it is to find Ravenclaw swag in the proper colors thanks to the movies changing them.  To which she replied, "You should ask your British friends to hook you up."  You see, she is far more clever than I am.

 

So, @deftona and @Salinger is proper Ravenclaw stuff available to you,  or have the movies spoiled it on your side of the pond as well?

  • Like 2

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
3 minutes ago, Cheetah said:

I was just complaining to my beautiful and insightful wife about how hard it is to find Ravenclaw swag in the proper colors thanks to the movies changing them.  To which she replied, "You should ask your British friends to hook you up."  You see, she is far more clever than I am.

 

So, @deftona and @Salinger is proper Ravenclaw stuff available to you,  or have the movies spoiled it on your side of the pond as well?

 

What colours should they be? I can definitely keep my eyes open for you.

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to post

Meant to be Blue and bronze isnt it?

 

This is nice! https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/714967837/ravenclaw-house-pride-real-foil-t-shirt

 

Also lots of scarves in the right colours on etsy? https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/78841235/harry-potters-ravenclaw-inspired-colors

 

You could buy a Ravenclaw patch and sew it onto a scarf?

 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/696447893/movie-iron-on-patch-sew-on-embroidered

 

xx

Link to post
11 hours ago, deftona said:

 

What colours should they be? I can definitely keep my eyes open for you.

 

Royal blue and bronze. And thanks!

 

9 hours ago, Salinger said:

Meant to be Blue and bronze isnt it?

 

This is nice! https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/714967837/ravenclaw-house-pride-real-foil-t-shirt

 

Also lots of scarves in the right colours on etsy? https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/78841235/harry-potters-ravenclaw-inspired-colors

 

You could buy a Ravenclaw patch and sew it onto a scarf?

 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/696447893/movie-iron-on-patch-sew-on-embroidered

 

xx

 

Exactly.  I've actually knitted myself a matching hat and scarf in blue and bronze.  But patches and such I can't find here, because the internet knows I live in the USA. I should try to see if theres a way to mask that.

 

ETA nevermind.  I just looked again and found out that I can order from amazon.co.uk.  I'm guessing the currency exchange rate will be awful,  but hey.  Whatever it takes.  :-)

  • Like 1

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
5 hours ago, Cheetah said:

ETA nevermind.  I just looked again and found out that I can order from amazon.co.uk.  I'm guessing the currency exchange rate will be awful,  but hey.  Whatever it takes.  :-)

 

I doubt it with Brexit going on, you'll bag yourself one hell of a deal if you time it with our biggest moments of political turbulence! 

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to post
3 hours ago, deftona said:

 

I doubt it with Brexit going on, you'll bag yourself one hell of a deal if you time it with our biggest moments of political turbulence! 

 

I might feel bad about benefitting from your upheaval.  I might do it anyway, but I might feel bad about it.

  • Like 2

  Level 45 Quasi-Human Ranger     

"Forget failure.  Forget mistakes.  Forget everything except what you're going to do NOW, and DO IT." - Lou Ferrigno

"Foxes Never Quit!"  -  Leicester City FC

KBO. - Churchill

Link to post
  • Cheetah changed the title to Cheetah learns as he goes.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines