• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RES

Ye Slightly Spooky Ranger Guild Hall [General Chat]

Also wondering... have other Rangers suddenly started getting a digital pat down when entering the forums? Just in the past couple days so wondering if it is something new. Or maybe I'm looking extra shifty...

I’m getting it too; I’m assuming they’re fighting spam.
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Also wondering... have other Rangers suddenly started getting a digital pat down when entering the forums? Just in the past couple days so wondering if it is something new. Or maybe I'm looking extra shifty...

Everyone is getting it. The pat-down page says it does it for DDOS protection. Since it started appearing right after the forums were unavailable for far too long, I'm in favor of the new shield.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Yeah, I was wondering about that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

As others have commented, Cloudflare, the company that hosts the forums, had a DDoS attack yesterday, and has put some extra protections in place. Veterans will remember how things were till the great software update in the Spring of 16. The forums were down all the time, double and even triple posts were common, posts getting eaten was so common I'd type long ones out in word and copy/paste them into the forums in case they got lost. There was some adjustment to the new GUI, but spam and downtime went way down.

The Empire is still trying to take us down, but we are the Rebellion, and we will prevail.

• Like 12

50 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

As others have commented, Cloudflare, the company that hosts the forums, had a DDoS attack yesterday, and has put some extra protections in place. Veterans will remember how things were till the great software update in the Spring of 16. The forums were down all the time, double and even triple posts were common, posts getting eaten was so common I'd type long ones out in word and copy/paste them into the forums in case they got lost. There was some adjustment to the new GUI, but spam and downtime went way down.

The Empire is still trying to take us down, but we are the Rebellion, and we will prevail.

I remember those days! I tried to set up a challenge and ran into problems yesterday.I wrote my challenge on word and have most of it set up. Might not get a chance to  post it until Monday, but I'm ready for this challenge

• Like 6

12 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm not a very good nerd, what is discord?

Discord's a text chat app where you can make multiple channels within your server to talk real-time with pals :D

https://discordapp.com/

It's free and has voice too - kinda like an AOL chat room for 2019.  (Am I dating myself??)  I figured it could be fun for keeping in touch outside of the forums!

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Veterans will remember how things were till the great software update in the Spring of 16. The forums were down all the time, double and even triple posts were common, posts getting eaten was so common I'd type long ones out in word and copy/paste them into the forums in case they got lost.

*100-yard stare* ................... Those were the days ............................

• Like 6

3 hours ago, shaar said:

It's free and has voice too - kinda like an AOL chat room for 2019.  (Am I dating myself??)

No, you're okay until you start talking about rotary phones.  We had one in an escape room once and apparently I was the only one who knew how to use it.

• Haha 10

Jarric stumbles in to the bar, looking tired and distinctly worse for wear.

Pint of the black stuff barkeep, he intones, oblivious of the fact that his hair of the dog it already sitting on the bar.

Hobgoblin-Halloween-beer.jpg

(more ruby than black, but it is Halloween)

• Like 6

The small Ranger slips into one of the Guildhall's back doors and sits gratefully at a corner table, her eyes swollen and dabbing her nose on her sleeve, which has clearly already seen some use on her way to the hall. Unlike her usual habit, she does not approach the bar, but sits quietly, mending her bowstring and avoiding eye contact with others.

Without hesitation the barkeep reaches behind the bar and pours a steaming mug of hot water, into which he arranges several bags of herbs to make a strong tea. He brings it over to the table and sets it in front of her, and as she looks up, reaches into one of his apron pockets and produces a jar of honey. She smiles gratefully as he drips a couple of spoonfuls into the mug.

"The tea should help give that cold a kick in the pants," he says kindly.

She curls her chilled hands around the mug and inhales the tangy floral aroma. "And the honey?"

"Oh, the honey won't do a thing. I just thought you'd like a little sugar."

"Ah, my friend, you know me well."

"Drink up, little one. Feel better."

• Like 7

On 10/27/2019 at 5:55 PM, Kestrel Grey said:

No, you're okay until you start talking about rotary phones.  We had one in an escape room once and apparently I was the only one who knew how to use it.

Uh oh. I'm past it! I used to love the satisfying riiing! it made with every number you spun/dialled. I only remember playing with them though. I think I was just about too young to actually use one for real. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Jarric said:

Jarric stumbles in to the bar, looking tired and distinctly worse for wear.

Pint of the black stuff barkeep, he intones, oblivious of the fact that his hair of the dog it already sitting on the bar.

Hobgoblin-Halloween-beer.jpg

(more ruby than black, but it is Halloween)

Never mind the water barkeep, I'll have three of those. 

Fine. I'll take the water as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, SkyGirl said:

The small Ranger slips into one of the Guildhall's back doors and sits gratefully at a corner table, her eyes swollen and dabbing her nose on her sleeve, which has clearly already seen some use on her way to the hall. Unlike her usual habit, she does not approach the bar, but sits quietly, mending her bowstring and avoiding eye contact with others.

Without hesitation the barkeep reaches behind the bar and pours a steaming mug of hot water, into which he arranges several bags of herbs to make a strong tea. He brings it over to the table and sets it in front of her, and as she looks up, reaches into one of his apron pockets and produces a jar of honey. She smiles gratefully as he drips a couple of spoonfuls into the mug.

"The tea should help give that cold a kick in the pants," he says kindly.

She curls her chilled hands around the mug and inhales the tangy floral aroma. "And the honey?"

"Oh, the honey won't do a thing. I just thought you'd like a little sugar."

"Ah, my friend, you know me well."

"Drink up, little one. Feel better."

Hope that horrible cold goes away for you soon Sky. *hugs*

On 10/26/2019 at 8:55 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'd type long ones out in word and copy/paste them into the forums in case they got lost.

I still type up my longer posts in a text editor and paste them in.

• Like 4

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 1:28 AM, SkyGirl said:

The small Ranger slips into one of the Guildhall's back doors and sits gratefully at a corner table, her eyes swollen and dabbing her nose on her sleeve, which has clearly already seen some use on her way to the hall...

Hope you feel better soon Sky :) 

Nic throws the doors to the Guildhall, causing an audible BANG as they hit the walls. As she walked towards the bar, the Rangers present noticed that she's walking with a limp. The Rangers also notice that Nic has a new energy about her, one they hadn't seen in her since the knee injury that caused her limp.

"BARKEEP!" Nic slapped her hand down, voice loud and confident in a way that it hasn't been for a while." "Your finest mead and some fresh bread, if you have it, and a hearty chicken stew."

"Welcome back, Ranger," the Barkeep gave their usual warm smile, as they poured the mead into a fresh glass. "It's good to see you in such fine spirits today. You've been down and out for a while."

"Yes... It's been difficult, but I've been dealing with the fallout from a nasty injury. However, I'll be going to the Healer's soon and they believe they can help me. I feel like I'm getting a second chance. It feels good," Nic's smile turned equally warm.  Grabbing her mead and food (when had the barkeep even grabbed that?!), Nic went back to her customary booth. Soon, she'd be able to join back in the barfight and take active missions again. Soon.

I'M BACK, Y'ALL. PT starts soon so I can get my injury addressed and kick myself back into gear. I've missed being a more active member but my mental health took such a spiral after my knee injury that I just couldn't bring myself to be around y'all. I felt guilty and ashamed that I couldn't do what I had been doing before. But I'm back, and hopefully will be better than ever with my treatment. I've missed you all!!

• Like 10

On 10/30/2019 at 9:24 AM, NicTheRugger said:

I'M BACK, Y'ALL. PT starts soon so I can get my injury addressed and kick myself back into gear. I've missed being a more active member but my mental health took such a spiral after my knee injury that I just couldn't bring myself to be around y'all. I felt guilty and ashamed that I couldn't do what I had been doing before. But I'm back, and hopefully will be better than ever with my treatment. I've missed you all!!

It's completely normal to lose all motivation (and hope) for a while after an injury and certainly nothing to be ashamed about. Great to hear you'll be brawling again soon!

• Like 3

hope everyone had a good week and is ready to kick ass next week and ate lots of candy (sensibly portioned, not stolen from small children and brushed and flossed your teeth afterward)

• Like 7

On 10/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, shaar said:

On 10/27/2019 at 10:43 AM, shaar said:

It's free and has voice too - kinda like an AOL chat room for 2019.  (Am I dating myself??)  I figured it could be fun for keeping in touch outside of the forums!

AOL chat rooms! I remember those. I hung out at The Red Dragon Inn. :)

• Like 1