KCAleece Begins Her Uphill Climb

kcaleece

16 hours ago, kcaleece said:

Well, the toddler was seen by a doctor at urgent care last night - it's BOTH hand, foot, and mouth disease (on most of his body) and also impetigo (on his face).

Poor little fella. :-(  Here's hoping he gets well soon.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: More treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

On 11/14/2019 at 4:56 AM, The Hero of Time said:

Poor little fella. :-(  Here's hoping he gets well soon.

Thanks! He's doing better than I would have expected, honestly. The impetigo has responded really quickly to the meds and is maybe 70% faded already. The hand, foot, and mouth disease is being a little bit slower but he's healthy enough that he went to daycare on Friday at least.

So...mixed news. My husband's soccer team keeps on winning and is now in the official state semifinals! Unfortunately, the final two games are 4 hours away on the other side of the state. We're going to have a lot of logistics to sort out in the next week if everything we need to do is going to actually get done...

Challenge Update:

Quest One: Running

No third run yet, but my goal is tomorrow morning. Got a little sidetracked with the soccer team (semifinal qualifying game was today)!

Quest Two: Diet

Up to about 95% of my current weekly allowance of mac, but still haven't had a beer...or tried any veggie recipes.

Quest Three: Spanish

videos: up to 5 watched (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: up to 4 (out of a goal of 21)
Sofía progress: finally FINISHED!!!

Quest Four: Grad School

Module 11 is due on Thursday and isn't fully posted yet (the professor gives herself until Sunday to get it all up), but I already know it'll include:
2 readings (printed but only barely started)

at least 2 discussion posts

5 more articles for Language Features Research Bibliograpy
I think also the final summary of said Language Features Research Bibliography?

Quest Five: Misc. Odds and Ends

So I have now made my apple cider caramels, though I still haven't finished cutting them (it makes a giant slab and then they have to be cut to portion sizes).

I also bought storage containers to get the next set of outgrown baby clothes put away, though I haven't actually started that work yet. And I also also need to start cleaning out 1 bag of too small/old/unwanted clothes from closet because my school is doing a clothing drive right now and I want to participate (I teach in a very low SES community and a lot of our kids need help being fed and clothed over upcoming school breaks). My plan is to maybe work on that skirt hem some tonight because my husband has been bugging me endlessly to start watching Disney+ but I already know one sweater I've been thinking about donating for like three winters now so I'll at least pull that one out and start a little tiny bit.

• Like 1

Mom. Teacher. Language Enthusiast. Wood Elf :)

Current Challenge: KCAleece's Summer Alliance (Part 1)

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

Today has been both more and substantially less productive than I was hoping...

Challenge Update:

Third run was this morning. I ran the full 1.2 miles!! I've mapped out a slight addition to my route so I can get all the way up to 1.77 miles but a) I'm not sure I want to continue pushing myself so hard, it might be smart to run this distance a few times before I continue trying to extend my runs and b) I think it might have a giant hill in the addition, hahaha. I'm honestly not sure but the street running parallel right next to it is pretty steep so I'm thinking this one is at least a decent incline.

Fresh week, fresh mac allowance. Still need to get going on veggie recipes though.

no progress yet -

videos: up to 5 watched (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: up to 4 (out of a goal of 21)

Module 11 is due on Thursday and includes:
2 readings (1 done)

1 super long video (done)

4 discussion posts

5 more articles for Language Features Research Bibliograpy
Final summary of said Language Features Research Bibliography

Quest Five: Misc. Odds and Ends

I sat down last night to continue on my hem only to realize my needle had gone missing and I can't find my other hand sewing needles. Sigh. But I need to buy a giant pile of them anyway because I am mulling over a Glorious Passion Project for 2020 in my mind that will require a LOT of hand stitching...

• Like 2

Alors je ne lui parlais ni de serpents boas, ni de forêts vierges, ni d'étoiles. Je me mettais à sa portée. Je lui parlais de bridge, de golf, de politique et de cravates. Et la grande personne était bien contente de connaître un homme aussi raisonnable.

So yesterday we got some news that will end up being bad news for me - my husband's school is sending them to the state championship games a day early, on Thursday morning, despite the fact they don't play until Friday afternoon. That means I will have to play single mom with the toddler on Thursday night too...which is my grad school due date...and I also have a hair appointment that evening that would cost me $30 to move and probably push it back 2 months because my hairdresser only works like two days a week. Not to mention other errands like running the dog and all of his things to my sister-in-law's house because the toddler and I are supposed to join my husband on Friday night so we can be at the actual championship game on Saturday. It's going to be a long week at this rate...

Challenge Update:

No fourth run yet, but my thoughts are to go tomorrow afternoon. Today and tomorrow are supposed to be super nice, weather-wise, but today is super busy with errands and things that *have* to happen today and I think the schedule will be more open tomorrow. 

No mac or beer yet - I'm so proud of my lack of beers, I'm doing so well with that! - and I found two veggie recipes to try...does that count?

small progress yesterday, but I know I need to do a LOT more to catch up!

videos: up to 6 watched (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: up to 5 (out of a goal of 21)

2 readings (2 done)

4 discussion posts (3 done)

5 more articles for Language Features Research Bibliograpy (not started)
Final summary of said Language Features Research Bibliography (not started)

• Like 3

Way to go on the no beers!  I hate it when all the things collide to make life super busy. 

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 11/19/2019 at 11:25 AM, Elastigirl said:

Way to go on the no beers!  I hate it when all the things collide to make life super busy. 

Thanks!! I'm really happy that I was able to get back on top of the beer habit so quickly; I genuinely thought it would be harder. I'm sure it's partly because I've switched to eggnog - hey, it's the holiday season! - but also the longer I go without it, the less I even feel the urge for one. 

Trying to get as much set up today as humanly possible to make Thursday (and Friday, to a smaller extent) as easy as possible!

Challenge Update:

No fourth run yet, but scheduled for today. Now just to cross my fingers that a) my husband gets home when he thinks he will, despite the fact he's hosting some local media at their soccer practice today due to the upcoming championships and b) it doesn't start raining (too bad) - it's supposed to start around 5pm and hopefully I'll be running around 4:30. I don't mind some rain but it's supposed to be a big storm...

No mac or beer yet and also no new veggie recipes. Probably not until next week.

reasonable progress yesterday, but I know I still need to do a LOT more to catch up!

videos: up to 8 watched (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: up to 7 (out of a goal of 21)

2 readings (2 done)

4 discussion posts (4 done)

5 more articles for Language Features Research Bibliograpy (1 done, 1 more found but the write-up isn't done yet)
Final summary of said Language Features Research Bibliography (not started)

• Like 1

Progress! Tomorrow will be busy for you though.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

19 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Progress! Tomorrow will be busy for you though.

Oh yes, it was been a bad karma kind of day...but we got to the tournament halfway though the first game and were able to spend the next day and a half with the team and some of my family that lives in the area. And we won the state championship!!! It was close by the end...we were up 4-0 and the final score was 4-3, so there were a lot of heart attacks!!! But we were both the only team from our city to win a championship this year and also the only inner city school to win a soccer championship since (we believe, we couldn't find quite all the records online) the 70s, so it was a heck of a win. 

Challenge Update:

4th run was done in 2 chunks - first part came back at 1.18 miles, then I walked for about .2 miles, then ran the last 0.42 to be precise. The new route did add in some hills but none that are too bad. There's 1 that's a really long, slow, shallow climb and two that are much shorter but steeper. None that are super god awful though (we do have plenty of those in our neighborhood!) so I'm thinking these will be a really good start. Hopefully I can keep making great progress on the new route too! Thinking about either today or the upcoming weekend for the next run, but today will be easier schedule-wise if I can get it to work out.

I had a beer over the weekend, but that's been it! Planning on "cheating" and trying both my new veggie recipes for Thanksgiving, is that bad?

no progress over the weekend, officially, but my husband's school might as well just name Spanish their official language (they're over 98% Hispanic) so I definitely got in some listening practice (mostly, I did a very very little bit of speaking).

videos: up to 8 watched (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: up to 7 (out of a goal of 21)

Module 12 isn't due for two whole weeks! Thank the gods for Thanksgiving...not everything is up yet because my professor is mentally on break already too but I know it'll include:
3 readings (0 done)

at least 2 discussion posts (1 done)

a major assignment I need to learn more about but it has something to do with unit planning using corpus data

• Like 3

Congratulations, and tell your hubby congratulations! Well  done on keeping it to one beer over the weekend. Yes, enjoy Thanksgiving. I don't call it cheating, I call it a treat. Savor it and enjoy, and then go back to your regular scheduled program.

• Like 1

Wisdom 18   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

On 11/27/2019 at 8:49 AM, Echoceanic said:

Honestly, I'm impressed with how well you're organising. 

Thank you so much! That means a lot to me actually.

Whew! Thanksgiving break is never much of a break for us with two Thanksgivings and a birthday all in a three-day span. But I made a little progress nevertheless! ...not as much as I needed, but a little is better than nothing.

Challenge Update:

5th run never happened due to thunderstorms followed by head cold, but I did a body weight workout at home to “make up for it”. Based on the 2 days of soreness that followed, I did pretty well hahaha. Calling this completed (A)!

I had too much beer over Thanksgiving, but I still don’t feel the urge to have a ton more and it was a holiday, so I’m not too concerned about it. Mac and cheese has gone better than expected - with NONE! over the holiday - but I only tried one new veggie recipe, which was basically leek confit. It was super tasty on top of some sourdough toast though! In the spring when leeks are cheaper, it may be in the rotation...right now they’re just too expensive to buy regularly ($4/pound! Eesh!) Giving myself an A-

Gods I sucked at this. I have a slight revamp for next challenge though that I think will help.

videos: Ended at 11 watched, 18 if you count the days I was sick as check marks anyway (out of a goal of 42)
writing posts: ended at 7, about 10 if sick days counted as checks (out of a goal of 21)

Giving myself a for not-negligible but wholly unsatisfactory progress

Module 12 is due this Thursday; I did less over break than I meant to, but I still got:
3 readings (1.5 done)

at least 2 discussion posts (1 done)

a major assignment I need to learn more about but it has something to do with unit planning using corpus data

Otherwise I got everything done on time except my...I think it was called Corpus Quests or something silly? It was a set of 3 very short assignments that didn’t lead into anything else that I just plain ran out of time for. Not at all happy about that, but it probably won’t drop my grade much, if at all, so at least there’s that. I probably still have an in class, though I don’t know for sure because my professor is weeks behind on grading.

• Like 2