• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

On 11/5/2019 at 5:44 PM, raptron said:

While going weakly around the low bar, I started laughing, shot up with 0 momentum, touched the soles of my feet to the high bar and then Wile E. Coyote fell directly out of the sky after making eye contact with my friend who was nearby.

LOL :lol:

Hope the knee heals up sooooon!

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

PANIC MODE is so real! Does gymnastics have a concept of marking through stuff at slow speed while learning the order? Or does that just not translate like in dance where you're not going upside down? Haha.

Haha, we do practice the choreo slow and outside of actually in a routine, but sometimes when you practice skipping over the hard stuff, you get a bit thrown when you add it back in, which is exactly what happened to me. :P 

16 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Sorry to hear on the knee dude, hope it heals up real soon for you and that it's not a tear or anything similarly big.

7 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Hope the knee heals up sooooon!

Thanks, y'all! I think/hope it's minor.

Day 2.3

Rest dayyyy! Weird knee still being weird. I went to bed late but not like LATE LATE, so we're doing fine today. I applied to one more job. 

Gymnastics: choreo 4/6, floor routine 4/3, bhs on beam 3/5, vault 0/3

Conditioning: 1/3

Balancing: 3/6

Jobs: 9/15

Updated plan

Th - lifting and maybeee I'll go to another partner acro class because I just got invited and I bet I can swing it after lifting. 

F - lifting + see Parasite w/gym friends 

S - gymnastics + pole class + maybe stay in and like, do laundry and dye my hair and clean

S - lift + RENT

Let's ignore that I might have two two-a-days here. THEY AREN'T REALLY TWO WORKOUTS.

Then, next week things get very wild because I go down to NYC on Monday for a work training on Tuesday, come back Tuesday, help train new staff Wednesday -Friday, then fly out to New Orleans for a wedding and general debauchery until the following Tuesday. I AM SO FUCKING PUMPED FOR NEW ORLEANS! 

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, raptron said:

Haha, we do practice the choreo slow and outside of actually in a routine, but sometimes when you practice skipping over the hard stuff, you get a bit thrown when you add it back in, which is exactly what happened to me. :P 

Ahh yes, that'll get ya!

S - gymnastics + pole class + maybe stay in and like, do laundry and dye my hair and clean

I AM SKEPTICAL OF THIS PLAN, but it seems sensible!

THEY AREN'T REALLY TWO WORKOUTS.

Whatever you gotta tell yourself :P

(Coming from the guy who REGULARLY does CrossFit and also teaches or practices dance in a day - I recognize I live in a glass house :D

Then, next week things get very wild because I go down to NYC on Monday for a work training on Tuesday, come back Tuesday, help train new staff Wednesday -Friday, then fly out to New Orleans for a wedding and general debauchery until the following Tuesday. I AM SO FUCKING PUMPED FOR NEW ORLEANS! 

Dang, sounds like a ridiculously fun week, enjoy Louisiana!!!

• Like 1

Your first update in this thread with the muscle pump aversion and the crawly skin thing made me laugh so hard x) 

So ehm, who the F is getting married during your nationals??! :P

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raptron said:

New Orleans for a wedding and general debauchery until the following Tuesday. I AM SO FUCKING PUMPED FOR NEW ORLEANS! 

Sounds awesome. We expect you to write in loving detail about the food. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, raptron said:

then fly out to New Orleans for a wedding and general debauchery until the following Tuesday. I AM SO FUCKING PUMPED FOR NEW ORLEANS! 

Enjoooooy! Sounds amazing!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

I AM SKEPTICAL OF THIS PLAN, but it seems sensible!

I already blew it and made out of the house plans. Hahahah. I do have about 3 hours between gymnastics and pole where I can do a bunch of life admin stuff, though. :P 

21 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

(Coming from the guy who REGULARLY does CrossFit and also teaches or practices dance in a day - I recognize I live in a glass house :D

I WAS THROWING SOME SIDE EYE THERE, DON'T WORRY.

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Be sure to go to cafe du monde and get some chickory in your coffee.

Yes! It's soooo good. I was there for Mardi Gras several years ago and because Cafe Du Monde is 24 hours, we went at maybe 4 AM, picked up beignets and chicory cafe au lait, and I had maybe like 1/3 of my coffee and went straight to bed, woke up to find the rest still on my nightstand like some kind of magical gift from past self to present AND I FELT AMAZING. 

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Your first update in this thread with the muscle pump aversion and the crawly skin thing made me laugh so hard x) 

:D Welcome back!

16 hours ago, KB Girl said:

So ehm, who the F is getting married during your nationals??! :P

One of my very best friends from high school so there is no way I would miss it. It's ALSO in New Orleans, so I'm very excited to go twice in six months because it's such an awesome and fun city. It is kind of cool that I can compete in prelims still because that'll be either Thursday or Friday, but I am so sad about missing being able to cheer on my teammates if they make finals and also the banquet and the photoshoots and all of the team bonding on Saturday. :( 

5 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sounds awesome. We expect you to write in loving detail about the food. 

OH, yes. Very much yes! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

AW469680_03.gif

Day 2.4

It was a DARK AND STORMY NIGHT. I had the right footwear but my jacket is only water resistant and I didn't have an umbrella, so I got a bit soaked by the time I walked to the gym. It was the first time I've been happy the heat was on when I got there, haha. My gym things were mostly dry though, soI was able to warm up pretty quick!

Deadlifts: 4 x 4 x 225#, 3 x 255#, 2 x 275#, 2 x 290#, 14 x 235# (fuuuucking AMRAPS why. also at these weights I feel like I'm just stopping when I am mostly out of breath, not really because of any muscle limitations.) 

Deficit deadlifts: 3 x 8 x 205#

CGBP: 4 x 8 x 115#

DB rows: 4 x 10 x 45#

Toes-to-bar: 4 x 8

About halfway through my accessories, I considered my options for the night. I could cut the workout off a tiny bit early and head right to the partner acro (taking a lyft in the rain to get there) class or just finish up my workout and do some hand balancing practice in the warm-up room, go grocery shopping, and cook food for the next 3-4 meals. I've been spending kinddddd of a lot of money lately and decided the second option was the better choice financially and maybe to give myself at least a minute of downtime. I practiced some regular holds, tuck holds, and attempts at straddle holds but my butt was wobbling around a lot. I decided to lean into the wobbles and try some transitions. I did a one good handstand to straddle w/feet hovering near the ground and back up, and then managed a handstand to crow transition that starts and stops like crazy, but lol, somehow worked out! 

I made brown rice, chicken peppers and onions with a lot of gochujang, and like a cabbage and egg stir fry situation. I read some of the book that I'm loving, but haven't given a lot of time to lately (Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead). 

Gymnastics: choreo 4/6, floor routine 4/3, bhs on beam 3/5, vault 0/3

Conditioning: 1/3

Balancing: 4/6

Jobs: 10/15

• Like 8

48 minutes ago, raptron said:

Yes! It's soooo good. I was there for Mardi Gras several years ago and because Cafe Du Monde is 24 hours, we went at maybe 4 AM, picked up beignets and chicory cafe au lait, and I had maybe like 1/3 of my coffee and went straight to bed, woke up to find the rest still on my nightstand like some kind of magical gift from past self to present AND I FELT AMAZING.

One of my undergrad professors and yet again one of my seminary professors each got their Doctorates at New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary. They both drank Cafe Du Monde super strong. I learned a lot from them.

I love the squeal of joy at the end of the video when you went from handstand to crow!

• Like 1

DUDE, what program are you running that has you doing all these AMRAPs? Clearly you're just too strong and that's why you're running out of breath before the muscles give out.

1 hour ago, raptron said:

I already blew it and made out of the house plans. Hahahah. I do have about 3 hours between gymnastics and pole where I can do a bunch of life admin stuff, though. :P

Hahahaha I'm shocked! :P But yes, a couple hours is totally enough to do basic life admin.

I WAS THROWING SOME SIDE EYE THERE, DON'T WORRY.

:D :D :D :D :D I live for it!

OMG I need this in my life - definitely taking notes for when I head to New Orleans in June!

8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

DUDE, what program are you running that has you doing all these AMRAPs? Clearly you're just too strong and that's why you're running out of breath before the muscles give out.

Hahha. The deadlift portion is swiped from a tough dl focused program that has weekly increasing heavy doubles and then 8+ amrap sets after to help with work capacity and I could use the work capacity for gymnastics season anyway, so I'm obliging. 

8 minutes ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Hahahaha I'm shocked! :P But yes, a couple hours is totally enough to do basic life admin.

:P 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 3:09 PM, raptron said:

One of my very best friends from high school so there is no way I would miss it. It's ALSO in New Orleans, so I'm very excited to go twice in six months because it's such an awesome and fun city. It is kind of cool that I can compete in prelims still because that'll be either Thursday or Friday, but I am so sad about missing being able to cheer on my teammates if they make finals and also the banquet and the photoshoots and all of the team bonding on Saturday. :(

Sad but definitely lots of silver lining! 

• Like 1

Very impressive HS to crow! 

On 11/8/2019 at 4:28 PM, raptron said:

I read some of the book that I'm loving, but haven't given a lot of time to lately (Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead). 

Added to the library queue. :) 

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Day 2.5

I feel like Friday was a very chill work day. I applied for one job right after the day ended and then went to the gym. My knee didn't blow up after deadlifts on Thursday, so I was maybe feeling a bit too optimistic about its recovery status and decided to squat after all. It felt fine while squatting but immediately started swelling up again after I finished my sets, so I think that was probably NOT the right call. Oops. 

Squat: 4 x 3 x 250#

Paused squats: 8 x 3 x 185# 

Paused bench press: 5 x 5 x 135#

Glute ham raises: 4 x 8

Dips: 4 x 8 

Lat raises: 4 x 10 x 15#

I had the movie times wrong. /sob. So we didn't see Parasite after all, and my friend and I just had dinner and drinks after the workout. 

Day 2.6

Saturday morning practice. I knew I wasn't going to tumble to let my knee chill out a bit more. Instead, I worked on my floor routine choreography and did two dance throughs to get my floor pattern right and re-add back in a section I had forgotten when I was practicing on Monday. It went better, definitely. This may all come together soon, haha. I am going to adjust a section that's on the floor because there is a weird transition in there that I don't think is any good to look at, but otherwise, we're almost done.

I did uneven bars, focusing on connecting my free hip into a toe-on again. I actually did connect 3, but didn't catch any of them. Baby steps. I did a bit of high bar uprise + free hip + flyaways as well, but had a DEEP TIREDNESS in my body. I hemmed and hawed and did my back handsprings on low beam. Two had weird hand things happen, which always shakes me a little because that is how I broke my finger last year and also just feel really bad and make me feel super inconsistent. But, it's all good. I did some other beam skills and then finished up.

I visited with my aunt who isn't doing so well (she's 85 with severe lung disease so she's at home on bedrest with oxygen 24/7) and saw my second cousin there. Another one of my cousins will be visiting her next week, so I will probably try to schedule some more family time to see her and my aunt again. My aunt and I aren't very close, and I had not made the time to go see her and felt guilty about it to the point where I was almost avoiding it more because of that, thinking she'd chew me out for not visiting sooner. Of course when I did stop by, she was just happy to see me and caught me up on a bunch of family drama. :P 

I went home, ate a late lunch, and was right back out to go to pole class. I had a different instructor this time and I REALLY liked her, haha. We spent more time getting into a loose state of mind/performative mental space before learning some tricks for a combination. I liked some of her cues better and she encouraged you to make things your own without giving you no instruction. We also did two back spins which I thought were THE MOST FUN -- one reverse hook spin and one uhhh, backwards spiral? She also walked us through a headstand/handstand sit-up thing too, which I feel like I didn't quite understand the technique for but was able to kind of just muscle through. She was great; it was great. I wish this studio was easier for me to get to, but I may buy a class pack and throw one in here and there over the next few months. My bruises have started coming in and they are plentiful.

I went home, showered, and then was out for the night. 

Day 2.7

Sunday, I was up early, had diner breakfast, and took a short power nap before meeting one of my lifting friends at the gym. I obviously was going to skip squatting or anything too heavy and deep knee bendy. It didn't seem to mind any of these things? I think?

Bench: 5 x 3 x 140#

Walking lunges: 3 x 8 x 35# dbs

Romanian deadlifts: 4 x 8 x 195#

One legged reverse hypers: 4 x 12 x 50# 

Curls: 4 x 8 x 20#

KB swing interval situation that I'm counting for conditioning

I took another power nap, showered, and then saw RENT. It was great. There were tears, as usual. We got some snacks and drinks at our friend's restaurant in Southie and then went to bed. I probably should have gone to bed earlier, but I didn't. OH WELLLL.

Gymnastics: choreo 5/6, floor routine 5/3, bhs on beam 4/6, vault 0/3

Conditioning: 2/3

Balancing: 6/6

Jobs: 11/15

I'm still behind on my job search quest, but I realized I hadn't intended to really count zero week anyway, so it's not as bad as I thought. I'll keep chipping away and hope I hear back from some of the new applications soon. The floor routine work is going well. BHS on beam are fine. I haven't vaulted yet and have no desire to do that until my knee seems okay. If I vault in week 4 or 5, I'll pretty much consider that goal a success. :P I've been putting in more handstands just because I'm like "oh  yeah, that's a goal!" so it's having the intended function, too. 

• Like 6

Yay for pole dancing! Awesome that you had a better time now. :) 

35 minutes ago, raptron said:

Of course when I did stop by, she was just happy to see me and caught me up on a bunch of family drama. :P   

So drama is a family trait then? :P 

• Haha 1

Ooof, bummer on the knee stuff. But huzzah for finding a great pole instructor!!

And if you weren't gonna count zero week, aren't you technically ahead on your job search?

On 11/11/2019 at 10:18 AM, Mad Hatter said:

So drama is a family trait then? :P 

I feel like it's a trait in every family. ;)

On 11/11/2019 at 2:21 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

And if you weren't gonna count zero week, aren't you technically ahead on your job search?

Yes, I will accept this, haha.

giphy.gif

Day 3.1 + 3.2

Rest days from workouts. I took the train down to NYC on Monday morning, worked out of a co-working space with my friend who was up from DC, walked a bunch because it was really nice and warm out, and then went to our colleague's place for an awesome dinner of homemade lasagna. After dinner, I met up with my friend whose place I was crashing at, went out for some beers for longer than intended, and then went to bed.

The training on Tuesday was 10 am - 4 pm, so that was pretty much the day. After, four of my coworkers and I got dinner and then two of us drove back up to Boston listening to an intense like ballad sing-a-long playlist, which was great. Back home and in bed around midnight. Nice little jaunt to the city and back! 

Gymnastics: choreo 6/8, floor routine 5/4, bhs on beam 4/6, vault 0/3

Conditioning: 2/4

Balancing: 6/8

Jobs: 11/15

W - lifting (will probably squat again because the knee is somewhat improved)

Th - lifting + maybe seeing my cousin who is in town?

F - yoga and conditioning work out at the work gym + fly out to New Orleans

No time for gymnastics this week. :[ 

• Like 7

On 11/11/2019 at 10:42 PM, raptron said:

My bruises have started coming in and they are plentiful.

I suspect pole has the highest bruise rate of any physical activity :D 

• Haha 1

giphy.gif

Day 3.3

Work was very middle of the road yesterday, but I had a good amount of things to catch up on from my training and travel day so it wasn't completely boring.

Deadlifts: 4 x 4 x 235#, 2 x 255#, 2 x 280#, 3 x 2 x 300# (felt really good), amrap 245# to 14 again though this time was less cardio and more challenge

Deficit deads: 3 x 8 x 210#

Bench: 8 x 3 x 135#, 2 x 3 x 140#

Hypers: 3 x 25 x 25#

Then I was just done because I was fully dead from deadlifts. I have a lunch workout planned for Friday where I can just do all of my missing accessory exercises as needed. I picked up some scant groceries to cover meals for the next few days before the trip to NOLA, cooked dinner, did two loads of laundry, dyed my hair, trimmed my bangs, went through some packing options/clothing considerations for the trip, and then went to bed at like 11 pm at the latest -- second laundry load still in the dryer and henna still in my hair (wrapped of course). I woke up around 2 am to shower/de-henna, and fell soundly back asleep right after. THOSE DEADLIFTS, MY FRIENDS. THEY GET YA.  

Gymnastics: choreo 6/8, floor routine 5/4, bhs on beam 4/6, vault 0/3

Jobs: 12/15

I'm going to apply to at least two jobs today, maybe book my flights home for Christmas, finish packing, paint my toes, and probably grab a drink with my friend who is also going out tomorrow to stave off our jealousy about our friends who are already in the city today. 

• Like 4

On 11/13/2019 at 5:59 PM, raptron said:

I feel like it's a trait in every family. ;)

LOL truth.

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

I suspect you're correct.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Any circus apparatus, really. My frequent bruises/burns/other skin discolorations from rope, trap, and silks were very dramatic. At my yearly physical one year I had a nurse ask me if i had a safe place :rolleyes:

37 minutes ago, sylph said:

Any circus apparatus, really. My frequent bruises/burns/other skin discolorations from rope, trap, and silks were very dramatic. At my yearly physical one year I had a nurse ask me if i had a safe place :rolleyes:

Classic. :P

Day 3.4

I had a phone interview where I was pretty sure both me and the interviewer were thinking "wait, why did you decide to screen me for this position? I don't REALLY do most of the things you are looking for" but then she scheduled me for a second round, so idk. We'll see, haha. 

I decided to squat anyway. It wasn't as bad as last week but still wasn't great. Also, being tentative around it makes squatting harder in general, but nothing hurt still. It's okay though. It's all okay. We're just doing our best here. I practiced my choreo in the warm-up room between squat sets too.

Squat: 4 x 2 x 265# (so slow), I dropped the amrap set because knee things

Paused squats: 4 x 3 x 225#

Bench: 5 x 5 x 125# (paused)

Kneeling db press: 4 x 8 x 30#

Reverse hypers: 4 x 15 x 50#

I met my friend for buff chick pizza and beers, packed for two hours (in which 1h45m was spent dancing in my bedroom and/or trying to move my buttcheeks rhythmically), and went tf to sleeeep. 

Gymnastics: choreo 7/8, floor routine 5/4, bhs on beam 4/6, vault 0/3

Jobs: 13/15

I'm going to do a workout at lunch (mostly upper body accessories, maybe some lunges or split squats, + hand balancing for fun). My flight out isn't until 9:30 PM and I'm having all of the FOMO while many of my friends are already in the city. A guy I've seen a few times is insisting on driving me to the airport, so I said I'd buy him a burrito first, haha, so that's my dinner plan. Then, ideally right to the baaar from the airport. I might pack some nips to make catching up a bit easier. 

• Like 5

Quick update just so I don't forget.

1.5 mile warm-up run that I'm totally calling cardio conditioning this week bc it was relatively high intensity

db bench press: 4 x 10 x 45#

db rows: 4 x 10 x 45#

pull-ups: 4 x 2-3

reverse db flyes: 4 x 15 x 15#

bss: 4 x 8 x 30#

Plus some choreo and balancing in the yoga room. I had a couple nice little holds, including this straddle that goes up with the ugliest lazy legs/feet of all time. :P

Gymnastics: choreo 8/8, floor routine 5/4, bhs on beam 4/6, vault 0/3

Conditioning: 3/4

Balancing: 7/8

Jobs: 14/15

• Like 4