• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

aramis

aramis becomes Bob the Builder

Week 5, Friday (Nov. 29th)

After work I picked my car from mechanic - turned out it was blocked exhaust... I'm quite relieved it's nothing major with the engine. Oh the joys of driving 20 year old car... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Building self-esteem:

Not being productive today at all. But I have a good excuse - I prioritized family time and I'm fine with that.

Building bond:

Kept my temper with boys. 

As soon as I came home, we headed to Gliwice (really ASAP - I even ate my dinner from a box while on our way - A. was driving :)) to see ice revue "Disney On Ice" as part of F.'s birthday gift (he's from Dec. 1st). Boys loved it as usual (it's third year in a row when we see it). After coming home (just before 9pm) was usual evening routine. 

Building quality time:

Spent great family time together - see above. We had fun too watching the show and singing along :)

Building strength:

As trip to Gliwice took quite long, I decided to cut my back/core workout short and only did pull-ups and hanging knee raises before heading to bed. But short workout is better than none, so I won't be kicking myself for missing it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, aramis said:

As trip to Gliwice took quite long, I decided to cut my back/core workout short and only did pull-ups and hanging knee raises before heading to bed. But short workout is better than none, so I won't be kicking myself for missing it.

This is what impresses me a lot, you got the flexibility down.

Wohhoooo for the OCR!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aramis said:

Week 5, Friday (Nov. 29th)

After work I picked my car from mechanic - turned out it was blocked exhaust... I'm quite relieved it's nothing major with the engine. Oh the joys of driving 20 year old car... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Building self-esteem:

Not being productive today at all. But I have a good excuse - I prioritized family time and I'm fine with that.

Building bond:

Kept my temper with boys. 

As soon as I came home, we headed to Gliwice (really ASAP - I even ate my dinner from a box while on our way - A. was driving :)) to see ice revue "Disney On Ice" as part of F.'s birthday gift (he's from Dec. 1st). Boys loved it as usual (it's third year in a row when we see it). After coming home (just before 9pm) was usual evening routine. 

Building quality time:

Spent great family time together - see above. We had fun too watching the show and singing along :)

Building strength:

Not only not kicking yourself, but I say you get a woot  for doing what you have time for. One of the biggest obstacles for consistency can be that you either have to do something all the way or not at all. Making a choice to do what you can with what you have is the way to keep it consistent

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

you got the flexibility down

4 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Making a choice to do what you can with what you have is the way to keep it consistent

Thank you :) 

I've always been "all or nothing" type, so it's sort of mental training to convince myself "good enough" is really good enough. But I'm doing my mental reps :) 

Besides, I didn't intentionally skip any workout since March. How it would look in my calendar if I didn't put this colorful mark on a workout day? ;) 

• Like 2

Week 5, Saturday (Nov. 30th)

During the day my friend called me and told he has a spare ticket for a rock concert today evening and asked if I want to go. I didn't, but sent A. there (this will do her good, getting some fun with other people).

Building self-esteem:

I was seeing therapist in the morning (still digging through MMPI-2 test), then went to work (saving the world in overtime). After coming home I did my 5+K offroad run, ate dinner and took over managing kids... and later cooking.

F.'s birthday is tomorrow, and he asked for a cake made of same type of dough we did gingerbread cookies couple days ago. So I'm delivering...

Spoiler

DSC_1726.thumb.JPG.9f65c17845b0778caa3269a3cd5aa85d.JPG

That's the top layer. It will be layered with jam, peanut cream, cream cheese etc. 

And after putting kids to sleep I put some music on and started playing with my meat...

Spoiler

...rolling meatballs! More than two hundred meatballs :) DSC_1723.thumb.JPG.dd5e2408b7b7e5f8b0d7920d30de6941.JPG

DSC_1725.thumb.JPG.82c2d13cf50bac3c127c259a04f018cd.JPG

This will make a protein base for my lunch food for next week. And part of it will be used for tomorrow dinner. 

Building bond:

Played with boys some charades, then watched Frozen (again... sigh), then did evening routine. And we did Sun Salutations before bed :) 

Building quality time:

Not much - when I came back from my run, A. was leaving for a concert. 

Building strength:

Looks like switching to more carbs was a good step. As my running was slower and slower for over a month now, today's run went great. I did 28min 22sec (for 5.25km offroad), with 28min flat being my personal best. Considering I ran in nearly freezing temp (it was 2C when I left home and 0C after coming back), I'm really surprised it went so well. 

• Like 3

Week 5, Sunday (Dec. 1st)

Final day. Thank you everybody for your support and kind word during this time. See you again in next challenge's thread.

Time for some sort of summary of this round. 

Building self-esteem:

Sigh. This wasn't very successful goal. Listing daily wins and skills/proficiencies didn't worked as planned. Of course I know I do quite lot of stuff, have good habits in place, can do lots of different things etc... So what? Knowing this doesn't boost my self-worth. If I do stuff, I feel guilty for not spending time with family. When I don't do the stuff, I feel like a parasite. Whatever I do, I always find a perspective from which I can put some kind of blame on myself. 

I think the best thing from this is I finally forced myself to admit I might need professional help and started seeing the psych.  

Building bond:

I work to be better dad for my kids (I know I'm far from perfect, but I try to improve). This round I fought with "angry me". I sometimes fail to remain calm, but I try to stay aware of incoming anger and deal with it before I burst out.

Inviting boys to do stuff together (cooking, cleaning etc.) is way better than pushing them aside and doing said stuff by myself (even if alone I can deal with it faster). And they started to show interest in such way of spending time together, which is great. 

And yoga. Evening Sun Salutations. F. is loving it - he even is able to leave TV earlier to exercise with me. Even if it's every other day or so. I'm happy Ant. starts to join me and F. in this. With time, I wish I will be able to sneak this into boys' evening routine.

Speaking of Ant. - I'm unsure how to deal with his condition. Therapist suspects Asperger's, but they didn't confirm anything yet. Sometimes I'm lost how to read him - is it his condition, or is he simply being a jerk. 

Building quality time:

In terms of computer use in the evening, I did good 99% of the time. Mostly used PC in the evening when A. was at work. 

In terms of actually doing something good about my marriage... this was quite bumpy road at some point, but I think it helped in clearing the atmosphere. I think we both need to actively work to keep our relationship in best condition possible. The key is to talk, to discuss things (even small) that bug us. And don't forget that!

Building strength:

I found there is no magical, mystic "OCR training" routine (or it is so closely guarded secret, I haven't found it). It all comes down to grip, upper body strength (mostly back muscles for puling moves) and core strength/stability. I additionally wanted to make my workouts shorter, because I added too many bells and whistles found on the internet.

New routines are shorter, focused on essentials.

Back muscle workouts are just pull-ups, inverted rows and hanging knee raises - this gives me good portion of grip, pull (both vertical and horizontal) and core work in short time.

For full body workout I decided to replace my routine (various exercises combined semi-randomly) with 20 minute KB workout. Being time-based means I won't stretch it for too long, and it uses kettlebell - the thing I fell in love as soon as I tried it :) 

I still wonder if doing 15min of burpees (I aim to be able to crank it up to 100 reps in this time) on my off/recovery days is doing me good or not, but this needs time. 

And I just learned running 5K in near freezing temperature is absolutely doable :)

Sorting out the nutrition (precisely - macro ratios) also helped - or at least it looks like it for now. Another thing I need to monitor for some time to be sure.

• Like 2