Yo' DM! Do I get experience points for that?

Welcome to the last full challenge of 2019!

Push play on that youtube music video, and let's get some ***hype*** up in here!!!

dbuo8id-7be15435-0364-4b2d-83f0-ba94d4e0

OVER-FAT UNDER-MUSCLED RECREATIONAL BODYBUILDER

& KING OF THE NOOBS

5'9" ____________ 174 cm

196 lbs __________ 89 kg

Primary Stat: 

Endurance/Stamina/Constitution

About Me

My Muggle name is Chris.  I'm a 42 year old full-time father happily at home taking care of my 3 year old daughter.  It's the best job ever!  There's no pay, but the benefit package is adorable and calls me Daddy.  <3

I'm also not new to Nerd Fitness.  If you're a Level 1, then I'm your Guild Leader.  I've been around NF for going on 6 years now, and I've been a Guild Leader almost that entire time.   I'm a resource.  I'm here to help you.  So make use of me.

My Current Training Rotation

• EVERY DAY
    • ~40 minutes Elliptical
    • ~20 minutes Cable Rowing

1. CHEST day
    • incline widegrip bench press
    • cable crossover
    • normal bench press
  2. LEGS day
    • squats
    • weighted lunges
    • calf raises
  3. BACK day
    • widegrip lat pulldowns
    • straight-arm pulldowns
    • landmine rows
  4. ABS day
    • landmine twists
  5. SHOULDERS day
    • overhead press
    • cable laterals
    • cable facepulls
  6. LEGS day
    • deadlifts
    • romanian deadlifts
    • calf raises
  7. ARMS day
    • EZ curls
    • reverse grip pushdowns
    • DB curls
    • cable curls

Hit that Follow button for my challenge thread!

And remember...

a97b23c04b6dcfc1c87af9b39c94ba22.jpg

• Like 5

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 1 of 41

I was dragging a good bit when I woke up, and started off with only 10 minutes on the elliptical and about 5 minutes of rowing.   No worries though, my energy levels skyrocketed during my workout and I was still riding high when I got done weightlifting, so I hoped back on the elliptical and finished off my workout with 50 minutes of cardio.

As for the weightlifting?  Here we go!

CHEST DAY

Barbell Inclined Widegrip Bench Press

• 9 ramping sets
  • 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/12 (first set shown in video below)
  • 3x10 volume sets in descending weights

Cable High-pully Crossovers

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/18

Barbell standard flat Bench Press

• 6 ramping sets
  • 3x2+ strength sets, went 2/2/3
  • 3x5 volume sets in descending weights

And here's today's workout video for your viewing pleasure:

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

This thread is so masterfully crafted to create momentum and motivation that I'mma gonna use it like you were a resource!

Play pushed, follow button hit, ready to hit the training field. Let's Rock, baby!

• Like 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

Are you taking requests for exercises to video?  If so I would like to see what the following are:

Landmine rows

EZ curls

Reverse grip pushdowns

I have seen these exercise names before but I am not sure what they are.

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 10/23/2019 at 7:21 AM, WhiteGhost said:

Are you taking requests for exercises to video?  If so I would like to see what the following are:

Landmine rows

EZ curls

Reverse grip pushdowns

You betcha! 

I've gotta catch up and make Day 2's training post for Legs in just a few minutes here.   But I did video landmine rows for you this morning, so you'll get to see me do those when I make Day 3's post later today.

• Thanks 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 2 of 41

Always fun to have a good leg day.   I woke up, went straight into my cardio, had breakfast after, then got right to work on my squat warmups.   I was on cruise control and did my thang.  :encouragement:

LEG/Quads DAY

Barbell Squats

• 8 ramping sets
  • 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/8

Weighted Walking Lunges

• 4x24+, went 24/24/24/24 (part of the second set is shown in the video below)

Barbell Standing Calf Raises

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/26

For today's viewing pleasure, a brief mid-set clip showing how I do my lunges "walking":

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 3 of 41

My daughter's caught a cold or some-such.  She woke up repeatedly throughout the night crying in frustration from the symptoms.  Which meant I was awake repeatedly throughout the night, too.   Can never tell in advance how a workout's going to go after poor sleep.  But it's usually worth starting the workout anyway and giving it a chance.  My workout today went great.  Hit all my reps and then some.

BACK DAY

Widegrip Lat Pulldowns to Lap

• 3x8+ strength sets, went 8/8/10
  • 3x12 volume sets in descending weights

Straight-Arm Pulldowns

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/16

Barbell Landmine Rows

• 4x8+, went 8/8/11/20  (second set is shown in the video below)

My landmine rows, @WhiteGhost:

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 4 of 41

ABS DAY

Landmine Twists 

• 4x10+, went 10/10/10/14

The middle day in my exercise rotation is really a recovery day.   Meaning  cardio only, for the same time as usual but at a relaxed pace.   But I've been moving this ab exercise around to different days and trying it "there" for a few weeks each time, testing to see where it sits best in the rotation.  So for the next few weeks the mid-week recovery day is "Abs" day.  And we'll see if I like abs being on this day or not.

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

On 10/25/2019 at 9:24 AM, Hazard said:

My landmine rows, @WhiteGhost

I can see the connection with the landmine twists :)  I was a bit confused because the exercise I learned as "landmines" was single leg hops so trying connect those with twists & rows was confusing my brain.  The videos are much more clear than some of the exerxise names describe. 

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 10/25/2019 at 11:11 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I can see the connection with the landmine twists :)  I was a bit confused because the exercise I learned as "landmines" was single leg hops so trying connect those with twists & rows was confusing my brain.  The videos are much more clear than some of the exerxise names describe. 

Landmine refers to the piece of equipment.  Any exercise done with it can be called a "Landmine (insert exercise name here)."   My understanding is that the pivot is called a landmine because that's what the original circular-base version of it looked like to WW2 vets when it hit the U.S. market.

• Like 2

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Days 5 & 6 of 41

The weekend was off-plan.  Saturday I woke up with a very sore throat and decided to push Shoulders back a day.  Sunday I got my cardio in, but right as I was prepping to start lifting I had to break off and take a trip to an E.R. because my little love appeared to have swallowed a broken piece of glass.  No worries, X-ray was clean.   That wasn't quite how I pictured my day going though.  But in any case, Shoulders tomorrow.

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 7 of 41

Back on track this morning.  I got all my cardio and prehab/warmup stuff done, ate my typical pork & oatmeal breakfast, then did my workout.  Afterward I made a nice little lunch of baked chicken and salad. 

I've finally admitted to myself that I'm lazy when it comes to salads.  If I buy all the ingredients to put one together from scratch, I usually end up ignoring them until they go bad.  I discovered these pre-prepped salad kits at the store and figured I'd give them a shot.   It's theoretically cheaper to make my own salads from scratch.  But since I tend to let the ingredients go bad instead of eating them, it isn't actually cheaper.  Rather than give up on having salads at home, I figure it's better to suck it up, accept the few extra pennies spent and just buy the kits.  I've been doing these salad kits for about a week now, and so far I like them. 

SHOULDERS DAY

Overhead Press

• 8 ramping sets
  • 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/8 (second set shown in video below)

Cable Lateral Raises

• 4x15+, went 12/12/13/13 -- dual factor; reps increase to goal before weight increases

Rope Facepulls

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/18

Today's workout video for your viewing pleasure:

• Like 5

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 8 of 41

My higher reps-per-set deadlifting was fatiguing my back mid-set, making me more likely to break form on later reps.  I was getting concerned at how easily all it would take is one moment of lapsed concentration during mid-set fatigue to end up hurting myself.  It's unnecessarily risky. 

I've decided to instead drop my deadlift work into a very low rep range, treating it as a power exercise in my routine.  Today I ran up the weight for a max single test, to see where my deadlift strength is at presently.  I'll be taking about 10% off that weight and, going forward, probably progressing via doubles, using something like 3x2+ of sets across.  I've also ditched backoff sets on deadlifts and reintroduced romanians into my routine instead.

LEG/booty DAY

Deadlifts

• 14 ramping sets up to a top single  (top pull in video below)

Romanian Deadlifts

• 4x10+, went 10/10/10/14

Calf Raises

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/26

The video for today's deadlift:

• Like 6

I Stand With Gina Carano

22 hours ago, Hazard said:

If I buy all the ingredients to put one together from scratch, I usually end up ignoring them until they go bad.

Oh my, and I thought I was the only one! Props for working with reality rather than theory. Double props if you manage to not let the kits themselves go bad in the fridge after some time.

Also, those quads, man!

• Thanks 1

Legally bound to hug people in need.

Living life as a Druid is about walking with the beasts. It's about being scared, looking your fears in the eyes and going on anyway. Dread doesn't go away, you just learn to know it. It's still a beast, it still has fangs, but you walk among it.

1 hour ago, Hazard said:

I've decided to instead drop my deadlift work into a very low rep range, treating it as a power exercise in my routine.  Today I ran up the weight for a max single test, to see where my deadlift strength is at presently.  I'll be taking about 10% off that weight and, going forward, probably progressing via doubles, using something like 3x2+ of sets across.  I've also ditched backoff sets on deadlifts and reintroduced romanians into my routine instead.

Awesome lifts. Is that 335lb?

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru