Yo' DM! Do I get experience points for that?

Challenge Log, Day 9 of 41

We have a Halloween festival tonight, and another Halloween festival tomorrow night.  I love this time of year. :ghost::ghost:

ARM DAY

EZ Curls

• 2 ramping sets
  • 3x8+ strength sets, went 8/8/9
  • 2x12 volume sets in descending weights

Cable Reverse-grip Pushdowns

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/18  (first set shown in video below)

DB Curls

• 4x15+, went 14/12/11/10 -- dual factoring; reps increase to goal before weight increases

Cable Curls

• 4x20+, went 20/20/17/17 -- dual factoring; reps increase to goal before weight increases

Here's the video for the pushdowns.  @WhiteGhost, you asked to see this one:

• Like 3

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

14 hours ago, Hazard said:

Here's the video for the pushdowns.  @WhiteGhost, you asked to see this one:

Ah, thanks.  I don't think I have ever seen this exercise before.  It got me thinking about how one would go about working this kind of motion with bodyweight only, but the closest I can come up with so far is pseudo planche pushups.  Maybe chinup negatives?

• Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

12 hours ago, Mister B said:

I think the easiest way to do this exercise at home would be to buy some resistance bands. You can find them for pretty cheap online. 

Yep resistance bands would work.  I was mostly just trying to find a comparable bodyweight exercise, not because I want to do that exercise, but because it is a fun little brain exercise to see if I can come up with something.  Today when I was working out, I was trying a bunch of things to see if anything came close, and it seems that the closest contender was reverse grip single bar dips.

• Like 1

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Recipe Book   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

On 10/31/2019 at 6:02 AM, WhiteGhost said:

It got me thinking about how one would go about working this kind of motion with bodyweight only

20 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Today when I was working out, I was trying a bunch of things to see if anything came close, and it seems that the closest contender was reverse grip single bar dips. 

Close-ish, but not quite the same, and the bar gets in the way.  The closest bodyweight equivalent would be on rings, starting with your body positioned at the top of a chinup, then transition to the top of the dip position, while maintaining a supinated grip throughout.

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 10 & 11 of 41

Day 10 (Halloween) was a scheduled rest day.   Today, Day 11,  I woke up to 30 degrees (F) weather outside.   I have the vents closed in my gym, so it was a very nice 64 degrees in there.  Pretty much perfect temperature for working out.

The only thing really of note in today's workout is that I changed the exercise order; I moved the standard bench press from last position to first position.

CHEST DAY

Bench Press

• 8 ramping sets
  • 3x2+ strength sets, went 2/2/5
  • 3x5 volume sets in descending weights

Inclined Widegrip Bench Press

• 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/7
  • 3x10 volume sets in descending weights

Cable High-pully Crossovers

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/20

• Like 3

I Stand With Gina Carano

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Close-ish, but not quite the same, and the bar gets in the way.  The closest bodyweight equivalent would be on rings, starting with your body positioned at the top of a chinup, then transition to the top of the dip position, while maintaining a supinated grip throughout.

I had considered that but discarded it for a few reasons.  First, that movement is extremely advanced and very difficult to scale down.   It is essentially the second half of a reverse grip muscle up. Second, while the movement is more similar in terms of arm movement, trying to replicate that on rings (or a bar) would still require significantly more stabilizer muscles and assistance from the lats to accomplish than the cable version. Taking these into account I felt the reverse grip single bar dips were actually closer to using the same muscles even though the movement itself is less similar. 

Level 2 Ninja

1 hour ago, WhiteGhost said:

I had considered that but discarded it for a few reasons.  First, that movement is extremely advanced and very difficult to scale down.   It is essentially the second half of a reverse grip muscle up. Second, while the movement is more similar in terms of arm movement, trying to replicate that on rings (or a bar) would still require significantly more stabilizer muscles and assistance from the lats to accomplish than the cable version.

You asked how one would go about working this kind of motion with bodyweight only.  You didn't ask for easy. :P

I can't think of beginner or early stage bodyweight exercises that are comparable to this cable exercise.  But that doesn't mean there aren't any, of course.  With enough creativity a bodyweight practioner can come up with a way to replicate most anything.

• Like 1

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Day 12 of 41

While ramping up today, I spontaneously decided to do doubles and keep going higher, instead of working at my target weight for the day.  I liked it.  In fact, after 6 months of doing high rep work since re-starting strength training, I feel plenty conditioned and ready to stress myself against more challenging weights again.  Like with my deadlifts the other day, I'll be going forward with my squats as 3x2+ for the top sets.  My legs will still get extra volume with the backoff sets and lunges.

LEG DAY

Squats

• 10 ramping sets
  • 3x2+ strength sets, went 2/2/4

Weighted Lunges

• 4x24+, went 24/24/24/24

Calf Raises

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/20

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

6 hours ago, Hazard said:

Challenge Log, Day 13 of 41

giphy.gif

Love the video!

• Like 2
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Challenge Log, Days (14, 15, & 16) of 41

I've gotten behind on posting updates,  so this one'll be a 3-day info dump.  :witless:

ABS DAY

Landmine Twists

• 4x10+, went 10/10/10/18

SHOULDER DAY

Overhead Press

• 8 ramping sets
  • 3x3+ strength sets, went 3/3/6
  • 3x6 volume sets in descending weights

Cable Lateral Raises

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/16

Rope Facepulls

LEG/booty DAY

Deadlifts

• 5 ramping sets
  • 3x2+ strength sets, went 2/2/3

Romanian Deadlifts

• 4x10+, went 10/10/10/13

Calf Raises

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/23

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Great price on the pork.

" I've finally admitted to myself that I'm lazy when it comes to salads.  If I buy all the ingredients to put one together from scratch, I usually end up ignoring them until they go bad.  I discovered these pre-prepped salad kits at the store and figured I'd give them a shot.   It's theoretically cheaper to make my own salads from scratch.  But since I tend to let the ingredients go bad instead of eating them, it isn't actually cheaper.  Rather than give up on having salads at home, I figure it's better to suck it up, accept the few extra pennies spent and just buy the kits.  I've been doing these salad kits for about a week now, and so far I like them.  "

Just scanning your pages. This is so me. Thrown out more lettuce/greens than I care to admit. I do agree that the pre-packaged are cheaper in the long run.

• Like 1
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Challenge Log, Days (17 thru 21) of 41

Another multi-day workout dump.   I had a few nights of interrupted sleep, so I'm not at my best right now.  But life marches on, and so do I.  On Sunday I ramped up to a 1-rep max test on the flat bench press.  Video's below.

DAY 17 - ARMS

EZ Curls

• 2 ramping sets
  • 3x8+ strength sets, went 8/8/10
  • 2x12 volume sets in descending weights

Cable Reverse-grip Pushdowns

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/17

DB Curls

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/12 -- dual factoring

Cable Curls

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/22

DAY 18 - scheduled recovery

DAY 19 - CHEST

Bench Press

• 13 ramping sets to a top Single  (Top Single shown in video below)

Inclined Widegrip Bench Press

• 5 ramping sets
  • 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/8
  • 3x10 volume sets in descending weights

Cable High-pully Crossovers

• 4x15+, went 15/15/15/17

DAY 20 - being lazy

DAY 21 - LEGS

Squats

• 6 ramping sets
  • 3x2+ strength sets, went 2/2/5

Weighted Lunges

• 4x24+, went 24/24/24/24

Calf Raises

• 4x20+, went 20/20/20/22

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

Challenge Log, Days (22 thru 24) of 41

I got my Back workout done today.    But letting myself not work out on several days over the past week when I could have worked out ---> is just me being an idiot.  We'll be nipping that in the bud before it can become a trend.  I'll go back to posting daily updates, instead of these multi-day updates.  Daily updates make me more likely to exercise in the mornings, to avoid public shame. :lol:

DAY 22 - being lazy

DAY 23 - being lazy

DAY 24 - BACK

Landmine Rows

• 4x8+, went 8/8/8/14

Widegrip Pulldowns

• 3x5+ strength sets, went 5/5/11
  • 3x8+ volume sets in descending weights

Straight-arm Pulldowns

For fun, today's video is a flashback to my first year on Nerd Fitness.  With a special rare guest appearance by Mrs Hazard!   This was back when I was a noob Assassin, and America Ninja Warrior hopeful. :ph34r:.   I didn't follow through with my Ninja Warrior aspirations, but I still like playing The Floor is Lava. :)

• Like 4

I Stand With Gina Carano

19 hours ago, Hazard said:

I got my Back workout done today.    But letting myself not work out on several days over the past week when I could have worked out ---> is just me being an idiot.  We'll be nipping that in the bud before it can become a trend.  I'll go back to posting daily updates, instead of these multi-day updates.  Daily updates make me more likely to exercise in the mornings, to avoid public shame. :lol:

Haha, good job. Stopping that before it gets its boots on is an excellent idea. Also, I'm here for the public shame (jk, if you tell me you didn't work out for three weeks I'll tell you you needed the break and you should be gentle with yourself. Hmmm. You need someone with better public shaming skills).

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 11/14/2019 at 2:09 PM, Hazard said:

to avoid public shame

Guilt is superior to shame. Guilt is feeling bad about something you've done (or haven't). Shame is feeling bad about something you are (or aren't). Since guilt is centered around action, feeling it is more likely to lead to a different action. Shame tends to create a negative downward spiral. 

• Like 1

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

55 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Guilt is superior to shame. Guilt is feeling bad about something you've done (or haven't). Shame is feeling bad about something you are (or aren't). Since guilt is centered around action, feeling it is more likely to lead to a different action. Shame tends to create a negative downward spiral. 

Bernard Williams has entered the chat.

• Like 2

I Stand With Gina Carano