Cultivating Gratitude

KeysMcGee

Now's probably as good a time as any for an end of week reflection on how the challenge is going.

Even though I started the challenge off pretty strong, I think, mentally, I started the week on a rough note. I think I was a little disappointed that I wasn't able to celebrate the beginnings of Halloween / the first cool-weather party of the year, and that put me off on a bad foot. Turned out that the wife and I ended up having a fantastic time hanging out between just the two of us, but we ended up making some decisions that weren't exactly in the best interests of our physical health. We might have eaten candy for dinner a couple of nights during the week. Good news is that we managed to stretch our rations out further than originally planned (eating candy for dinner will do that for ya).

All that decadence spilled over into other things. Ended up buying more beer than usual. Ended up sleeping later and later each day. Might have skipped a workout or two. Might have let my books go un-closed for longer than I'd intended.

But today, I came back. Did the weight-lifting thing (didn't want to, but I still did). Planned out next week's rations. Got the books updated. Even managed to get in a little CISA study and piano practice. Got back into the meditation.

And here's the kicker. At no point did I play any video games during the challenge. Total video game hours played? 0. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

And technically, since I lifted weights on Monday, Wednesday, and Today, I'm still at 100% with challenge 3, too. So there.

My mood's great, right now. Haven't crawled down any weird psychological holes or plastered my insane ramblings on NF for all to see for a while, so that's a plus.

The money front is going well. Just knowing that I'm checking in on the books daily makes them easier to deal with, and I've got the beginnings of what could become a solid stream of income from my investments. Granted, it's about $1.16 this month, but it's a start. More importantly, it's 1.16 that came from just letting my money sit there. I literally made money this month.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

"If you know the way broadly, you will see it in all things." -Miyamoto Musashi

7 hours ago, theflyingaccountant said:

I got no complaints. Rave away!

That name, John Petrucci, sounds familiar to me for some reason.

He's done a lot of solo projects and collabs over the years, so that's not entirely surprising.

More piano playing, from one of my favorite classical pianists, Robert Wells. His rendition of the Bumblee Boogie is one of my favorites. :) 

Reading Challenge Thread 2022

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

Sorry for the slow response - powered paragliding is only cheap compared to buying your own plane!

As a comparison, you can get a used Cessna is 50k plus, a used ultralight aircraft for under $20k vs one powered paragliding company offers package deals brand new (wing, motor, cage, harness) for under $9k.  Training will obviously vary in price depending on who and where.   The other price considerations are you don't have to pay for a hanger, you don't need a pilot's license, and you can put a paramoter setup on your trailer hitch and fly from a variety of places.  Fuel isn't AV Gas, just regular gasoline and 2-stroke oil.  

There is a powered paragliding group out in Falcon, CO that I will start talking to and getting more info over the next few months.  

Hope this adds some options!

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

1. Meditate for at least 5 minutes ever day.

Done.

2. Meal prep once per week.

Meal prep status:

Week 1: Done.

Week 2: Meal 1 prepped. Meals 2 and 3 to be prepped tomorrow.

3. Maintain Stronglifts 5X5 workouts for at least 3 days out of the week.

Rest day today.

4. Reconcile main accounts to $0.00 daily.

Done.

5. No video games for the duration of the challenge.

Hours played: 0.

• Like 1

"When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." -Henry Ford

"The older I get, the more I understand that the only way to say valuable things is to lose your fear of being correct." -Malcolm Gladwell

Done.

Meal prep status:

Week 2: Meal 1 prepped. Meals 2 and 3 to be prepped today. Meal 3 is gonna have to wait till tomorrow when I can pick up some beef / sausage for the spaghetti.

Squat: 80 lb.

Bench press: 60 lb.

Barbell row: 60 lb.

No failures.

Done.

On 11/2/2019 at 11:01 PM, Murphy's Roommate said:

Sorry for the slow response - powered paragliding is only cheap compared to buying your own plane!

As a comparison, you can get a used Cessna is 50k plus, a used ultralight aircraft for under $20k vs one powered paragliding company offers package deals brand new (wing, motor, cage, harness) for under $9k.  Training will obviously vary in price depending on who and where.   The other price considerations are you don't have to pay for a hanger, you don't need a pilot's license, and you can put a paramoter setup on your trailer hitch and fly from a variety of places.  Fuel isn't AV Gas, just regular gasoline and 2-stroke oil.  

There is a powered paragliding group out in Falcon, CO that I will start talking to and getting more info over the next few months.  

Hope this adds some options!

- Murphy's Roommate

It does. Thanks! Definitely gives me some food for thought. Still a long ways away for me to pull the trigger on it (gotta get my money right), but it definitely sounds like a more cost effective way to get into flying.

Great!

I assume you're the type that loves reading about what you want to do?  If so, there is a book called the Powered Paragliding Bible, and while not cheap ($40), it is a depth of information on the sport and may guide your decision making.  I've been reading and re-reading it to make more informed decisions regarding the sport.  

- Murphy's Roommate

• Like 1

Nope.

Meal prep status:

Week 2: Meal 1 prepped.

Still haven't prepped meals 2 and 3. Legit worked until about 9:15 pm last night, at which point I hung out with the wife listening to a podcast and then went to bed since I also had to get up at 5 am this morning. Wife says she can pick up the meat for meal 3 (spaghetti), so I guess we can just take care of those when I get off work. Good news is that I'm not doing Stronglifts today, so that frees up a little bit of time.

Kids, this is why we meal prep on the weekends.

-Meals 2 and 3 prepped. Wife did it for me.

Most amazing woman in the world she is.

Off day today.

Done.

Personal cash was off by 12 bucks. Had I waited till this evening or later to reconcile, I might have missed that and overdrafted.

Kids, this is why we reconcile our books daily.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Murphy's Roommate said:

Great!

I assume you're the type that loves reading about what you want to do?  If so, there is a book called the Powered Paragliding Bible, and while not cheap ($40), it is a depth of information on the sport and may guide your decision making.  I've been reading and re-reading it to make more informed decisions regarding the sport.  

- Murphy's Roommate

You assume correctly, and that book has now been added to my "Must Read List."

11/6/19.

Nope.

Meal prep status:

Week 2: Done.

Week 3: Planning.

Squat: 85 lb.

OH Press: 65 lb. *FIRST FAILURE on the 4th set!*

Deadlift: 85 lb.

Done.

Busy last couple of days. Rest of the week promises to be more of the same, but hopefully I can begin to catch a little bit of a breather.

• Like 1

11/7/19.

Did a full 10 minutes non-guided meditation. Just turned on my little insight timer app and let loose to see what would happen. That one's been knocked out at least.

Meal prep status:

Off day.

Done.

On 11/2/2019 at 1:02 PM, scalyfreak said:

And of course, there's Nightwish, who are one of my favorites, and do some crazy stuff both instrumentally and vocally. Because why not?

@scalyfreakOh my gosh! Nightwish! Hardly anyone here knows about them & their music is so cool!

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

I'm interested in learning piano as well & actually have one; but it is pretty damaged. It's way out of tune & the keys are very yellowed & have that sticky dust on them because it has not been played for a very long time. Not sure what to do about it. :(

Anyway, all that to say I'm inspired by your quest to learn & am going to try to figure out how to repair my piano.

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

1 hour ago, fitnessgurl said:

Oh my gosh! Nightwish! Hardly anyone here knows about them & their music is so cool!

NIghtwish is one of the greatest bands of all time and everyone in the band is a bloody genius. Refusing to agree with me on this is a deal breaker for friendship. :P

• Haha 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37

11/8/19

Nope.

Meal prep status:

Nope.

Done.

• Like 2

I like how your updates say something is done "after work".

A for Accountability. :)

• Like 1

11/9/19

Soon.

And done. Only 8 minutes left in the day, too.

Time for bed.

Meal prep status:

Soon.

I feel mighty...oh so mighty...I feel mighty and flighty and strong!

Squat 90 bl.

Bench press 65 lb.

Low row 65 lb.

No failures

Done.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I like how your updates say something is done "after work".

A for Accountability. :)

I know, right? Can't decide whether to replace them when I update their statuses or leave them and do a strikethrough. I'm tempted to take the second option just to drive the point home, especially since two of my challenges I didn't even do yesterday.

11/10/19

11 minutes.

Meal prep status:

Week 3: In progress. Just cooking for one since I'm going out of town next week. Sausage and peppers, Boston butt, and turkey sandwiches to get the wife through the week.

Rest day today.

Traveling to Nashville next week. Gonna have to get in my lifts before I leave. That way I'm not missing too much time between workouts.

Not yet.

Done.

Week-end retrospective time.

Had a couple of hiccups along the way, but I think I've also made a good bit of progress as well.

My regular time spent meditating has gone from 3 minutes to 10 minutes. In several cases, this has been without the aid of a guided meditation, which is pretty cool.

Meal prepping seems to be going fine, though I'll probably have a better idea once we get to the end of this week. We actually managed to do our prep on schedule this time around, so we'll see how it goes.

Had my first failure this week in Stronglifts. That means that I can actually start seeing myself get stronger with at least one lift (Overhead Press). Since I'm traveling next week, the idea is that I would do my lift first thing tomorrow morning. Tuesday is a rest day, so the only day I'd end up skipping would be Wednesday. Considering that I'm coming home Thursday afternoon, that means that I can still get my workout in, but only be offset by a day (and I may go poke around downtown Nashville Wednesday, so I'll probably be doing a lot of walking, anyway).

It's been nice seeing that my books are up to date. Sure, I could always use a little bit more cash, but just knowing that I have a clear picture of where everything is is helpful.

And still no video games played. Legit don't even miss 'em.

• Like 2

11/11/19

Happy Veterans Day Er'body!

11 minutes.

Meal prep status:

Week 3: Done.

Week 4: Not sarted.

Squat: 95 lb.

OH Press: 65 lb.

Deadlift: 95 lb.

No failures.

Hittin' the road now. Next lift will be Thurs evening.

Done.

On 11/3/2019 at 3:26 AM, scalyfreak said:

More piano playing, from one of my favorite classical pianists, Robert Wells. 

Scrolling through a random thread, and Sweden Robert Wells is mentioned Note. At first I was like "that's funny, I know of a piano player with that name. Could it really be him". Then I clicked on the link, and sure enough! No mistaking that hair! :P I had no idea he was known outside of Sweden. TBH I only know the name because he used to be on a popular music themed game show on TV. I thought that was his only claim to fame. But I was obviously wrong :) 

2 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Scrolling through a random thread, and Sweden Robert Wells is mentioned Note. At first I was like "that's funny, I know of a piano player with that name. Could it really be him". Then I clicked on the link, and sure enough! No mistaking that hair! :P I had no idea he was known outside of Sweden. TBH I only know the name because he used to be on a popular music themed game show on TV. I thought that was his only claim to fame. But I was obviously wrong :) 

1. I grew up in Sweden. ;)

2. He was invited to Så Ska Det Låta (one of the most entertaining TV shows ever!) because he was famous already, from his Rhapsody in Rock concerts. The idea was his name would help the show reach a larger audience.

2 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

1. I grew up in Sweden. ;)

2. He was invited to Så Ska Det Låta (one of the most entertaining TV shows ever!) because he was famous already, from his Rhapsody in Rock concerts. The idea was his name would help the show reach a larger audience.

Well, that settles it. Now I HAVE to listen to some Robert Wells. 

And I’m not from Sweden. Have always wanted to visit, though. That counts, right?