Nothing Works Unless You Do The Work - Every. Single. Day

Discipline has been my watchword for 2019. So far, so good with strength training & cardio. 5 Week Challenge will be working on recomp by dialing in my nutrition more closely as that has been my biggest road block. I do well then crash.

5 WEEK CHALLENGE

Measurement Goal:

• Go down 1" in abs & thighs (for me these are direct indicators of progression - I threw out my scale)

Nutrition Targets:

• Hit protein macro's every day
  • Get 3 cups of veggies every day
  • Hit 1400-1450 calories per day

Workout Targets:

• Tactical barbell strength training 3x per week (continue)
  • TB cardio 3x per week (continue)
  • Arm workout 3x per week (target floppy arms with direct work)

• Like 4
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Getting in protein and veg every day is an excellent goal. What are TB cardio and tactical barbell? 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

"Tactical Barbell: Definitive Strength Training for the Operational Athlete by K. Black" is a series of books written for "tactical operators such as swat, police, fire fighters".  I can assure that that I am NONE of the listed. :barbershop_quartet_ But TB can be used by the ""recreational athlete" which I guess is how I could classify myself. 

I like the concepts promoted in the books of balancing multiple goals - strength, strength endurance, anaerobic & aerobic endurance.  I am not aiming for lifting as much as I can just for the sake of lifting it. I want to have endurance but I don't need to be able to run 100 miles. I'm looking for overall ability in all of these areas. TB gives a methodology to pursue that goal. He provides for flexibility in programming depending upon the person's particular issues/lifestyle and goals.

• Like 2
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

100-110 gm

• Like 1
Spoiler

I like simple goals like this...I also like that you've thrown out your scale! (not sure I could do that :lol: ) here to follow along and watch you crush it!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

2 hours ago, RES said:

I also like that you've thrown out your scale! (not sure I could do that :lol: )

I threw out the scale because weighing myself became counter productive for me. If the weight didn't go down or down fast enough, I would lose all motivation to keep "sacrificing" so to speak. I would give up. So instead I chose to give up the scale and chart progress with measurement instead. That keeps my head in a better place. :tranquil:

• Like 2
Spoiler

Okay. Spending time planning for success. One of the issues I run into when I restrict calories is that I have a tendency to end up eating the same foods over and over and over again. I get bored after a couple weeks and cravings start to drive me crazy. So I'm doing some recipe searching to keep the "taste interest" up. Eating should be tasty & healthy - not boring all the time. So I'm off seeking recipes.

• Like 2
Spoiler

I found some good stuff on fit and fed. You basically batch cook your protein, veggie, and starch once a week, and then make these recipes for the week that incorporate them...I've tried the ground beef, chicken, and pork roast/pulled pork. It's really good and a huge timesaver. YMMV since I'm only cooking for two though! 

• Like 1

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

" fit and fed" - interesting site. Pulled a bunch of recipes off to try this week. Thanks for the suggestion @RES

• Like 2
Spoiler

Okay. And we are off...

Here's starting stats from this morning measuring in:

• Abs (lower) -> 31.75
  • Thigh -> 21.50
  • Bodyweight fat -> 26.4% (navy calculator)

Bodyfat reduction is  not a specific target for me in this challenge but it should be impacted by what I'm doing. I'm curious about the number and how much it changes so I added it as a measure.

(I am aware that the calculator is not "perfect". I'm just looking for a trend.)

I have meal plans for the week. Got my targets set up in my excel spreadsheet. Got my workouts set up to go. Got my discipline over motivation mantra going.

Why does Halloween have to be right smack dang in the middle of THIS week. :devilish:  I WILL not eat chocolate. I will not eat chocolate. :rolleyes:

Here we go!!!

• Like 2
Spoiler

On 10/26/2019 at 8:25 PM, zenabby said:

Wow, great, very specific goals. Love it. My goals are so high level, comparatively.  

But you quests are very specific and workable. You are fine.

Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler

Day 1.PNG

• Like 2
Spoiler

On 10/24/2019 at 4:44 PM, solidify said:

I threw out the scale because weighing myself became counter productive for me. If the weight didn't go down or down fast enough, I would lose all motivation to keep "sacrificing" so to speak. I would give up. So instead I chose to give up the scale and chart progress with measurement instead. That keeps my head in a better place. :tranquil:

I did that back in 2012. For the exact same reason. I didn't throw it away, but I only got on 1x a month. And it was the only time in 20 years of dieting that I ever made goal. It's why I actually didn't get on the scale this morning. I know approximately how bad the damage is, I don't need to see it in red neon letters. And I'm only going to get on it at the end of NFR challenges. 

• Like 1

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

8 hours ago, Mister B said:

Strong start, always a good thing. 

:chuncky: First day is usually the easiest. Motivation at the highest. But a strong start is  good start!

• Like 1
Spoiler

8 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I did that back in 2012. For the exact same reason. I didn't throw it away, but I only got on 1x a month. And it was the only time in 20 years of dieting that I ever made goal. It's why I actually didn't get on the scale this morning. I know approximately how bad the damage is, I don't need to see it in red neon letters. And I'm only going to get on it at the end of NFR challenges. 

LOL -"I don't need to see it in red neon letters". Ain't that the truth. My clothes were telling me. I wait for doctors' appointments to get a check on the weight. That's bad enough as I'm usually fully clothed and mid to late afternoon versus first thing in the morning.  :disturbed:

• Like 1
Spoiler

"If you wait for perfect conditions, you'll never get anything done."

Thinking of that today because it's sooooo gray (and rainy) outside. (Almost November - grayest month in New England). I can't run right after work because of doctor appointment. Packed my workout clothes and am arming myself mentally to run after appointment. It's getting dark early, so I may have to go use the track. The overused Nike saying , "Just DO IT" or "GD Just DO IT".

• Like 1
Spoiler

1270513142_Day2.PNG.224f116cc7965ec8f64fc6fcb7e59d82.PNG

Had doctor appointment. Unfortunately, he was running 1 1/2 hours late. Not the usual visit experience. By the time, I got out it was too late to go for my run. The upside is since it's only day 2, so I can make it up. Just use this as a rest day. At least, I held the fort on other "quests". :encouragement:

One of my past lessons learned is to front load workouts because if I wait to the end of the week I run out of room to get them in. Don't assume I can make it up later in the week because life... 

• Like 3
Spoiler

@zenabbyI created in html and screen shot it. I originally was going to add the html to the post but that didn't work. Hence, the screen shot to create an image. But it's probably something easily created in either excel or google sheets.

• Like 1
Spoiler

I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions. –Stephen Covey

These decisions are large and small. Always think: does this decision move me TOWARD or AWAY from my stated goals. Need to do this as a way of discipline. Every time I push away from a workout or eating properly, I push away from my goals. That's the reality. Need to reflect on the consequences of the choice being made.

• Like 3
Spoiler