Nothing Works Unless You Do The Work - Every. Single. Day

3 hours ago, Mister B said:

Well said, and even though you missed a planned cardio day, you still got in an exercise so I'm scoring it a win.

I'll take it!!! :cheerful: 

@Mister B

• Like 1
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

day 3 a.PNG

• Like 3
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Okay. Finally got my first cardio in for the week. I really do hate the treadmill but it was windy and pouring rain today so had to take it inside.

day 4.PNG

• Like 2
Spoiler

external-content.duckduckgo.com.jpg

And today's inaction are tomorrow's regrets. Just a reminder when I am straying or my mindset is weakening. Tomorrow will not be any different than today if I don't change what I'm doing today.

• Like 2
Spoiler

20 hours ago, Mister B said:

BOOM! I'm liking all those green check marks. =) 

I too loathe the dreadmill. 

:lol:

Spoiler

day 5.PNG

• Like 2
Spoiler

Part of the issue is that during the week, I have a schedule. I also only have access to food that I bring which I can control easily enough. The weekend weakness is access to the refrigerator. So keep myself busy with some weekend goals such as online classes. Don't let the downtime become bored time which becomes eat to fill the time. Started the day off right with a Cardio. Even better with my daughter on the treadmill next to me.

• Like 3
Spoiler

5 hours ago, Mister B said:

Speaking of having a pretty strong week... =) 

Pure bullheadedness. First week is usually the easiest for me. Except for Halloween candy. Keeping track keeps me on track also especially nutrition-wise.

• Like 1
Spoiler

day 6.PNG

• Like 1
Spoiler

day 7.PNG

Climbed Wachusett Mt with my lovely daughter for last Cardio of the week. Beautiful clear Fall day. Could see the Boston Towers from the mountain. Feel great about the week. Some days tougher than others but that's always true. Earlier this year, I decided that motivation sucks and that discipline rules. And that if I wanted change, then I would have to build the daily habits that moved me away from where I was toward where I wanted to go. I focused on the workout side of that -> got into the strength/cardio 3x each per week. Now, building the nutrition habits that will help me support that.

• Like 2
Spoiler

I used to try to fool myself by ignoring what I was eating. But the body doesn't ignore it. It does its job, uses what it can and stores the rest. I'm not a horrible eater and I'm not overweight (over fat maybe). I do need to take better portion control. Also, with looking at starting to really increase the weight on the bar, I am now seriously focusing on protein levels to achieve my muscle building goals. Trying to make up for decades of muscle neglect. Won't happen in a week or a month. But setting the nutrition paths during this 5 week challenge should help me lay the groundwork for the next year.

• Like 2
Spoiler

apparently you have to.jpg

• Haha 2
Spoiler

On 11/2/2019 at 4:32 PM, solidify said:

Don't let the downtime become bored time which becomes eat to fill the time.

Indeed. I know this danger well. 

7 hours ago, solidify said:

Trying to make up for decades of muscle neglect. Won't happen in a week or a month. 

Me too. I started off normal weight but reeeeally skinny-fat. It is taking a long time to very slowly increase my strength and muscle while staying about the same weight. I thought I'd get stronger more quickly but I guess I was looking at success stories from people who had started off reasonably active, not those who'd been sedentary for ten years. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

6 hours ago, Harriet said:

Indeed. I know this danger well. 

Me too. I started off normal weight but reeeeally skinny-fat. It is taking a long time to very slowly increase my strength and muscle while staying about the same weight. I thought I'd get stronger more quickly but I guess I was looking at success stories from people who had started off reasonably active, not those who'd been sedentary for ten years. 

I have to balance hurting my joints with trying to push the weight up on the bar. A year ago I went too fast and my shoulders paid the price. Then I lost time working out so I could heal. Now I'm hopefully smarter. Strength for me is slow but at my age I have the patience. -_-

• Like 2
Spoiler

"Past Performance Is Not Indicative Of Future Results"

SEC Rule 156 requires mutual funds to tell investors not to base their expectations of future results on past performance before they invest.

I need to apply this rule to myself  I had a good week last week and my goal stats went down. Yay.

But historically, I get comfortable and then backslide into old habits and lose my results.

That's why I am doing this challenge. I know that because I post publicly, I have a powerful incentive to follow through.

The REAL goal of the 5 week challenge is to ingrain these nutrition habits into my life- NOT just for 5 weeks.

• Like 3
Spoiler

day 8.PNG

Just squeaked by with the protein target today- just over 100gm. Had to chow down some extra yogurt to do it. But got it in. Felt really strong on the squats today but overhead press was a struggle. It's the last move I do so I think it's getting harder mostly because the weights on the previous moves are getting heavier. We'll see on Wednesday how it goes.

• Like 2
Spoiler

day 9.PNG

dreadmill2.jpg

Just getting my mindset to run on the treadmill (dreadmill -> best description yet) for the next few months. Looks like snow on Friday. I may just have to invest in some warm outdoor running clothes. I've hesitated to do this for a while since I nearly blew out my knee sliding on ice one year. Today did LSS and only lasted 40 minutes. Usually go an hour. Just have to suck it up buttercup. :dread::lol:

• Like 2
Spoiler

day 10.PNG

I really am missing running outside. I strength train in my basement so I feel like I'm going into a cave. Now I run in a fairly dark PF. Oh well. At least I have a place to workout. Time to stop whining.

• Like 2
Spoiler

Was on vacation last week and missed all this awesomeness! You're really starting strong with your goals! Great job!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for

Current: RES: SET but not always ready

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

6 hours ago, RES said:

Was on vacation last week and missed all this awesomeness! You're really starting strong with your goals! Great job!

Thanks. Bound and determined this time to get this nutrition right.

• Like 1
Spoiler