GoodDoug Does ALL THE THINGS

JuiceeTarget

Hiya, Doug! I absolutely LOVE your goals for this challenge and the idea of borrowing from each of the guilds. I may have to borrow this idea once my knee is up to it! :friendly_wink:

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Current Challenge:  NicBot-5000 enters Recovery Mode

Previous Challenges: 12, 3,  4, 5, 6

PRE REBOOT CHALLENGES: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Various links and sundry: Battle log, Respawn post

Quick update, still busy at work. The last week of GMB Elements is kicking my butt... hopefully it will be good for me. I ate a bunch of crap yesterday, and I can feel the effects. Guess that should teach me to not eat a bunch of crap until the next time I do it.

I haven't gotten into the wood shop this week, but I will try and do a little something tonight.

• Like 7

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

Isn't it awful how with like most things in life, you do it once and bad things happen - you don't do it again.   Eat like a jerk?  Over and over and over.   :) Damn taste buds have a ridiculously high spell save DC!

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Isn't it awful how with like most things in life, you do it once and bad things happen - you don't do it again.   Eat like a jerk?  Over and over and over.   :) Damn taste buds have a ridiculously high spell save DC!

I think the real issue is that sometimes it is a Con save and sometimes it is a Wis save and every once in a while it is an Int save.

• Like 5

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I have this re: feeling poorly and not exercising.

Body: you feel bad, stay on the couch
Brain: you feel better if you are active
Body: but COUCH
Brain: **gives in**

**Finally getting to the active bits again**
Body: wow I feel so much better
Brain: no kidding

repeat :wacko:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Current Challenge

Gnome |  Druid/Ranger | Level

2021 Goals: Hour walk without pain | Freestanding headstand | Back squat Tiny Human's weight
Goodreads

5 hours ago, Starpuck said:

It may or may not have something to do with the fact that food tastes good.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

14 hours ago, Tova the Vibrant said:

I have this re: feeling poorly and not exercising.

Body: you feel bad, stay on the couch
Brain: you feel better if you are active
Body: but COUCH
Brain: **gives in**

**Finally getting to the active bits again**
Body: wow I feel so much better
Brain: no kidding

repeat :wacko:

This... is accurate.

• Like 2

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Quick update, I need to get some stuff done then I'll try and knock out some of this story later today.

Yesterday was pretty good. I avoided the candy almost omcpletely. I had to take the small handful of Whoppers my daughter offered me from her bag. Otherwise, I did eat a bit of pumpkin bread, my daughter used my recipe to make a bunch of muffins to take to her friends house and left the rest for me to make a loaf for everyone else. It was good as usual. I spent some time last night making a big batch of stew. I start by frying up a piece of bacon in the dutch oven, take that out and add chopped onion. Just before the onion is really brown, I add some garlic and as soon as it smells awesome, I take it all out. I season a large chuck roast (aka seven bone roast) with salt and pepper and then coat it with flour. I sear both sides, cooking the flour and getting some color on the meat. Once I feel that is good, I add back in the onions and garlic, add cut up potatoes, carrots and some boiling onions and then cover with wine (1 bottle) and some beef stock I had thawed out for this. I added a sprig of rosemary and a bay leaf and then transferred to a 325F (163C) oven after tasting for salt. Basically, I let that cook covered for 2 and a half hours. Then I turned the oven off and left it all in there. Got up this morning and it was still pretty warm, scooped some up and into a container for lunch and I can't stop thinking about it. I've made this recipe for years and it is so rich and good, I am glad it got cold enough for everyone to want this again. (Hah! Now you have to avoid @Tanktimus the Encourager and me when you are hungry!)

I did the penultimate workout for GMB Elements today and I have to say I am so glad I did it, but I can't wait for it to be over. I feel like it is good to push really hard this week, but my body is starting to complain loudly that it isn't getting a day off. Foam rolling has really helped, but now my shoulder is complaining along with my hip and back. Once I've finished tomorrow, I will take Sunday as an off day and then get into running on Monday morning. Looking forward to it, and very interested to see if all this work I've been doing (not running) will help with my running endurance. I have a feeling it will help a little, but won't know until I try it next week.

• Like 5

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

1 hour ago, GoodDoug said:

(Hah! Now you have to avoid @Tanktimus the Encourager and me when you are hungry!)

Welcome to the club. That sounds amazing.

• Like 2

Current Challenge

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Ha ha such a Ranger challenge :D Lurking!

On 11/1/2019 at 6:23 PM, GoodDoug said:

Looking forward to it, and very interested to see if all this work I've been doing (not running) will help with my running endurance. I have a feeling it will help a little, but won't know until I try it next week.

That's an interesting experiment. I don't like any form of cardio, so I don't do any at all and I don't feel that it has hampered my training (which is more strength/flexibility related). However I started a new job back in June and I'm going there by bike (~40mn back and forth). At first it was a bit difficult because I hadn't biked in ages ...so all the DOMs.  But I don't think it was shameful either (at least for the level needed by my commute - I'm not planning the Tour de France obviously :D ). I have to say it's also probably helping my training a little bit because my legs have become stronger. Not sure about the cardio bit, but it can't hurt for sure...

• Like 2

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

I'm not a big fan of beef stew but your description sound so gosh darn good!!

On 11/1/2019 at 1:23 PM, GoodDoug said:

Foam rolling has really helped, but now my shoulder is complaining along with my hip and back. Once I've finished tomorrow, I will take Sunday as an off day and then get into running on Monday morning.

I hope today was a good rest day! If your shoulder, hip, and back are still sore in the morning, make sure you get a good warm-up in! Are you going to follow a running plan for this week?

• Like 1

Level 4, Amazon Ranger

Came for inspiration.

Left satisfied!!

Your food stuff sounds amazing.  And man, that shared baking goodness with the daughter just warms my heart.     Good stuff there friend, good stuff.

I've also been experiencing floating body complaints.  It's like one spot starts a complaint, and all these others are piping in, "ME TOO!"   I need a fix, like a hard reboot or something lol.

• Like 1

Level 83 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

82 | 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87 | 88 | 89 | 90 | 91 | 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96 | 97 | 98 | 99 | 100

16 hours ago, NicTheRugger said:

I'm not a big fan of beef stew but your description sound so gosh darn good!!

I hope today was a good rest day! If your shoulder, hip, and back are still sore in the morning, make sure you get a good warm-up in! Are you going to follow a running plan for this week?

My running "plan" is that I plan to run MWF. I have a just over 2 mile route that I followed this morning, and I am hoping to go farther on Wednesday. Not much of a plan, but I'm trying to read my body.

2 hours ago, Starpuck said:

I've also been experiencing floating body complaints.  It's like one spot starts a complaint, and all these others are piping in, "ME TOO!"   I need a fix, like a hard reboot or something lol.

I've rediscovered foam rolling and the complaints aren't as bad now. But I need to make a point of foam rolling every day. But in the end, getting old is painful.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Congratulations on completing Elemtents

Thnx! I feel great having done it. The last day was tough, but I liked seeing how far I had come.

• Like 3

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

GoodDoug approached the magical grove carefully. He was protected by some spells from the Druids, and he had his own tricks up his sleeves, but this was going to be a dangerous fight. His job was to get in close and take out one of the chimera before it could do too much damage while the other druids worked to keep the half-ogre alive. Then it would be a straight fight with the other chimera.
He saw the beasts, and tried to find a time when one of the six heads wasn't turned towards his hiding spot... but that was futile. The chimera was on high alert, so he decided to charge out when he knew he could take the attention of the beast closest to him.
Knowing magical creature anatomy as well as he did, he struck at the serpent head first. The beast was slow to react, probably a result of the blur spell he had on him. He was able to take two good swipes at the creature before it could react. Dodging the lion head he swung to keep the chimera he was engaged with between him and the other one. The other chimera was moving slowly, he was glad to see that the slow spell had taken effect.
The first chimera was hurt, but not out of the fight, it attempted to leap on him, but he was able to dodge and take another swipe, but was caught by the beast's claws before he could retract. Rather than pull away, as his instincts were screaming at him to do, he pushed forward and brought his hand up to the goat head. Speaking the words of the spell he had learned just a day before, he unleashed the power of nature into a spray of poison.

The beast backed away, he knew it was only a matter of time before the poison finished what his sword had started and he turned to face the other creature. Being magical in nature, it was already shrugging off the effects of the slow spell and was working to flank the Ranger, but that is when the druid emerged from hiding. Bolstered by their spells and the might of the half-ogre with them, they fought as well as any warriors and took the beast down.

The group immediately got to work setting up the grove to support the rebellion's push. GoodDoug helped where he could, but he mostly stayed out of the way. He was relieved when a Scout came in with new orders.

"We need you to help us communicate with the orc representatives. They are great runners, but not great listeners." 

GoodDoug said his goodbyes to the Druids and then ran off with the Scouts. This was going to be a "quick" week.

Recap:
Week 1 wasn't bad! Juggling, Tracking and Protein, Duolingo and meditation were all good. Did them every day.
I had a goal of writing 3 times a week and I got 2 days... it is something I want to do, so I need to find a way and a time to get it done. I find that I need some focussed alone time in order to write, so I have to find a way to get that for myself. I'm hoping with the time change I can have a little more time in the morning for it.
I got two more puzzle boxes done, and need to find some time to cut one more this week.

I feel really good about the start of the challenge. I finished GMB Elements last week, and thus did my time in the Druids guild. I am proud of myself for finishing it, but it was really hard at the end. Elastigirl had asked if it had helped my endurance, and I feel it had an effect on it, though not huge. 

My Saturday doing something fun didn't really happen. I did the last day of Elements, and it has a little bit of a Play element to it, but I ended up spending the day doing projects around the house. While that was useful and good, I would like to make sure I incorporate more Play into my workouts.

I am ready for this week with the Scouts Guild!

• Like 8

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

In late, but your puzzle boxes are REALLY RAD!!!

Glad to hear you're kicking this challenge's butt so far!~

• Like 1

Tell me, if you had the strength to take another step, could you do it?

Level ?? Bard & Monk of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

GoodDoug ran alongside the other scouts and their orc guests. It would take a day or two to be get his endurance up to where he wouldn't be holding them back, but he was glad for his time with the orcs prior to this.

The group was tracking a pack of ghouls. Right now, they were shadowing them, staying within reach and just keeping track of where they were, reporting to the main rebellion on their movements. So far, it was unclear what the ghouls' objective was, but they were definitely trying to flank the larger rebellion. The orcs were ready to attack, but the scouts were waiting, hoping to use their movements and target to help suss out the larger plan of the Enemy. The half ogre was a big asset, not only as a translator, but as a voice of reason for both sides. He assured the orcs that they would attack the ghouls, but they had to wait until the time was right. He assured the Scouts that the orcs weren't going to run off on their own and start the fight before they were ready. For now, they just ran to keep near the ghouls and figure out where they were going.

Quick update:

Went running on Monday and today, so on track with that. Did my "active recovery" yesterday, which is just the active recovery from the GMB Elements course I just finished, it is good to keep up with the stretches. I also did a little bit of handstand work yesterday, just to keep from getting too rusty. Keeping up with Juggling and Duolingo as well so this week is already full of win.

I am really enjoying running again. On Monday, I got a great sunrise view. This morning, it was too foggy for sunrise goodness, but I was able to figure out a problem I was having at work, so yay. Though I am really tired this week, and I'm pretty sure it is from the running. 

• Like 4

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

The Scouts were relentless, they ate up the miles and looked like they were on a pleasure stroll. The half-ogre Ranger among them was keeping up, but didn't look as fresh as the scouts or their four orc companions. They had been following this large group of ghouls for a while and now the enemy's target became clear. They were going after the healers tents in the back.

The leader of the scouting party paused a moment and gathered everyone around, "We have a call out to the Rebellion for help, but they are both busy and unlikely to get back in time to make a big difference. It will be up to us to stop these ghouls. Coming back to defend the rear is not something the guilds can afford right now with their push to take back territory," she paused to let that sink in, looking at everyone in the group, "They are sending a few Warriors back to the healers tents, but they are just there as a last line of defense, it is up to us to take these ghouls out _before_ they can get to the wounded. Now it is time to really run."

The orcs smiled and cheered, finally, a fight! GoodDoug had to admit he was ready for a straight fight now and the scouting party took off running. After the first mile, the scout leader had to remind the orcs (and the half-ogre) that they needed to go fast, but not so fast they ran out of energy. GoodDoug told the orcs to get behind the leader and match the pace. The Scout leader was wise in pacing and distance, and they would be smart to follow the lead.

GoodDoug was glad for the pacing, it was hard, but not so hard he couldn't keep up for the distance they were going. They knew they were very close to the ghouls and to the healers area, one last burst of speed brought them close enough to engage the ghouls.

Went running again today. Each day I ran this week, I increased the distance a bit. Now, I understand the actual Scouts reading this won't be impressed, but these are good numbers for me. For Monday I ran just over 2 miles at just under a 10 min/mile pace. Wednesday I ran just under 2 and a half miles at a 10 min/mile pace and today I ran over 3 miles (but just not quite 5k) at a 10 min/mile pace. But today I started out and noticed I was getting winded early, looked at my pace and it was at 8 min/mile. When I was running regularly, I could do that, but just getting back into it, that was way too fast. So I had to slow down, but not so much that I wouldn't be pushing myself. One thing I am now remembering about running is that figuring out the correct pace is a difficult art. Back in college, I ran with some buddies and they usually set the pace, now that I run on my own (or with my daughters) I am finding that pacing is tough. Luckily I have my watch to help guide me, but even with that, I have to look at it and assess how I'm feeling along with the data my watch is giving me. I know I'll get better at it if I keep it up, but it is a little frustrating right now. But I'm still happy with my times and distances. 

Also, my wife went running again for the first time in a couple of years. Once she started having back issues, she stopped running, which sucked, because she enjoyed running and enjoyed how it made her feel and how it made her look. She is starting out slow, and I am very hopeful we will be running together again soon.

Food and juggling and Duolingo have all been going well still. Now I need to find time to be creative and hang out with the family. This weekend is another one filled with driving all over the Bay Area for soccer games, so that will be "fun"

Have a great weekend everyone!

• Like 5

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries