• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug Does ALL THE THINGS

13 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Went running again today. Each day I ran this week, I increased the distance a bit. Now, I understand the actual Scouts reading this won't be impressed

Of course they will be! They all started somewhere. Unless long distance runners spring from the earth, fully formed, like mushrooms? Anyway, I, a warrior who cannot run, am very impressed. 

• Like 1

Happy Nigel Tufnel Day!

GoodDoug and the band of Scouts he had joined caught up to their quarry, a group of 20 ghouls that had been attempting to flank the Rebellion positions and attack the healers tents. GoodDoug knew the healers tents well, as a patient and as a healer. If the ghouls were able to run amok through the healers tents, the Rebellion would be forced to turn back to deal with the threat. Also, there was talk of another group of the Enemy flanking to Rebellion on the other side of where the ghouls had come from. They could be targeting the healers or could be darting behind to harry the Rebellion when they were over extended.
They were close to the tents now, and some of the ghouls turned to face their attackers while others ran ahead towards the tents. The Scout leader shouted quick orders, "GoodDoug, you take five scouts with you and catch those ghouls that kept running, the rest of us will deal with these."
GoodDoug nodded and motioned to two of the orcs and three of the scouts. They sprinted through the ghouls. GoodDoug maneuvered his group to flank the ghouls, it was a risky move, as they would all reach the healers tents at the same time, but he was hopeful that the Warriors that had been sent back were there and could help in the fight.
The tents came into sight and they heard shouts as the rebels in the healers camp spotted both parties running towards them. GoodDoug zigged in to fall just behind the ghouls and shouted an orcish charge. Warrior guild members came out and met the ghouls just at the tents as the scout party crashed into the ghouls from behind. The fight was quick. GoodDoug left his part with the Warriors, "Keep an eye out for any other attacks, we don't know what the enemy has in store for us here."
The half-ogre ran back to the melee with the group he had left behind, crashing into the rear of the ghouls and turning the tide for the Rebels.
When it was all done, he helped the injured to the healers tents, tending wounds as he could along the way. He was very tired, but his time with the Scouts had proved very useful.

Week recap:

Week 2 was pretty good! My dailies of Duolingo, juggling and tracking all went really well. I meditated all the days I was on the bus. I met my goal of writing 3 times a week. I think I have a better set-up now, but still must work to get the habit in place.

I didn't get anything done in the wood shop this week. I had good intentions, but just not enough time with everything going on. I hope I can get something done this week, but we will have to see. I have a new tool coming tomorrow but that is for something other than the puzzle boxes.

I had a great week with the Scouts, I remembered that I enjoy running and I had some really good runs. I kind of want to keep running this week, but I am with the Warriors this week. I ran the three days I had planned on running and I was able to increase my distance each time. I felt a little wonky on Saturday, but nothing a little stretching and foam rolling couldn't fix.

Saturday I did some fun stuff, but it was only playing around with Monkey, Bear, and Frog variations and some handstand stuff. Otherwise I spent the day doing projects around the house and started making some Christmas gifts with my youngest daughter. Sunday was more play in the morning and then I had to drive 3 hours each way for my older daughter's soccer game. Sitting in the car that long can really make you stiff and sore. But I was able to get a decent walk in while the girls were warming up for their game.

I've been able to use the time change to my advantage, getting up earlier to have more time to do things... but that also means that I'm ready for bed much earlier. I get home around 6pm and I am ready to go to bed by 8pm, though I usually stay up until 9:30.

All in all, I feel good about this challenge so far, and I am excited to sepnd my time with the Warriors.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

you are smashing this challenge :D

Thnx!

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Lot of time in the car! The things we do for our kidsB)

I know, right?

• Like 2

On 11/8/2019 at 1:25 PM, GoodDoug said:

Went running again today. Each day I ran this week, I increased the distance a bit. Now, I understand the actual Scouts reading this won't be impressed, but these are good numbers for me.

Actual Scout here. Legitimately impressed :-)

I @Elastigirl's thought and hope your wife can get back into running. Even if you guys aren't the same pace, sometimes it's nice to warm up or cool down together. When I'm running with someone faster than me, sometimes I like it better if we just do part of the run together and split up for part. It feels like less pressure that way. Might be something to consider if you want to start running together sooner rather than later (of course, whatever works for you guys is great).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Actual Scout here. Legitimately impressed :-)

I @Elastigirl's thought and hope your wife can get back into running. Even if you guys aren't the same pace, sometimes it's nice to warm up or cool down together. When I'm running with someone faster than me, sometimes I like it better if we just do part of the run together and split up for part. It feels like less pressure that way. Might be something to consider if you want to start running together sooner rather than later (of course, whatever works for you guys is great).

Haha! Thnx!

She is continuing to run, so I am hopeful that we can start doing a little bit together. Way back when, I would run with her once or twice a week on top of my own runs. Then, after she caught up to me, we would just run together most days that we ran. I'm hoping we can get back to that.

The Rebellion guild members milled about, Scouts and Warriors sharing stories of the big fight they had just participated in. GoodDoug was content to listen and sometimes translate for the orcs that had accompanied them. Once the reverie died down a bit, GoodDoug snuck off to help the healers, he still displayed his Healers Brigade badge proudly and he had learned quite a bit while working with the orcs. The leaders from the Scouts and the Warriors found him while he was washing between patients.

The scout leader started, "Hail, GoodDoug, we appreciated your being with us this week. I don't know that we could have handled the orcs or the ghouls without you."

GoodDoug grinned, "The orcs are alright. I think they trust you now and will follow you even without me here."

The scout leader nodded and the Warrior leader started next, "We agree and would like to ask for your help. We believe there is another arm of the enemy flanking the rebel positions... our group was going to find them and slow them down before we were asked to come here. I sent most of my party ahead, but now I need to get back to them. I'd like to have your sword with ours as we travel to meet back up with the rest of our group."

GoodDoug nodded, it seemed he was going to get a taste of each of the guilds before this was over.

Today was a good first day. I had gone into my lifting app history to see what I had been lifting prior to taking time off and discovered I last lifted in July. Holy cow! And I know that was just a quick jaunt to see if my back was okay. So, I decided to do all the things, but in moderation. I did deadlifts, squats and some push pull arm stuff. For squats, I was pleasantly surprised to find that I could go down all the way and come back up. Before my squats were more like power curtsies. I kept the weight easy, so I could work on form and getting my muscles used to the idea of lifting again. There were a couple of moments I thought, "I could do more..." and then I had the good sense to listen to the me before I got into the gym and not the me at the gym.

I am sore and tired, but it feels good. Now I just want to eat everything.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

There were a couple of moments I thought, "I could do more..." and then I had the good sense to listen to the me before I got into the gym and not the me at the gym.

This level of self control is a key to success. Too many times I have pushed myself when I should have backed off. I am glad you are able to get back in the gym. I am far from a gym rat, but there is always something nice about getting back under weights again.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

There were a couple of moments I thought, "I could do more..." and then I had the good sense to listen to the me before I got into the gym and not the me at the gym.

Very smart! And very hard to do.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

The eternal struggle of being at the gym, amirite? There's always that little voice going "I know I can do more" but it's definitely the smarter, wiser decision to not push too hard too fast! Glad you had a good time at the gym :) 

• Like 1

The group was meeting quite a bit of resistance. GoodDoug kept up with the Warriors, holding his own against the ghouls and raptors they had come up against. They were still hoping to meet up with the rest of the Warriors that had been sent back to guard the flanks, but had been surprised at the number of enemies they were encountering. GoodDoug speculated amongst the other Warriors that perhaps the enemy had put more into this flanking maneuver than they had first thought. If so, it meant some hard work for their group, but it might make things a bit easier for all the other Rebellion members fighting in the war against the enemy.

They ended up at the top of a small rise, hidden by foliage. There they could see a large contingent of ghouls and zombies, looking like they were trying to move East. They could see the undead handlers, necromancers that were directing the undead into a fighting line. The Warrior party leader got a pensive look on his face for a moment and then turned to converse with the rest of the group, "They are making up battle lines, and I have a bad feeling they have our guild mates trapped."

GoodDoug spoke up, "If we ran around from the South, we could meet up with your group and bolster them."

The Warrior leader got a sour grin, "Heh, we are not Scouts, we don't run unless dinner is ready."

Another Warrior spoke up, a buff looking gnome, "I say we head straight for the nearest necromancer and take it down. Our buddies will see that and will hopefully come out and fight."

The Warrior leader nodded, "Direct, violent, and no running. Sounds like a plan!"

GoodDoug would form the point of the spear as the largest among them. He would need to trust the others to protect his flanks as he charged for the necromancer. If they could cause enough chaos here, and if they could take out this one necromancer, it could all work out for them.

I forgot how sore lifting makes me. DOMS. I haz dem.

Yesterday was a bit of a wash, as I worked from home and didn't manager to get a walk in like I should have. I did some exercises and stretching in the morning, and got in my juggling and Duolingo. I also managed to track my food... all the crap I put into my body. I'm generally okay with it, as I didn't go too overboard, but our favorite pizza place had a special and we haven't gotten pizza in quite a while... so... I ate lots of pizza.

Today, I lifted again. I did a very similar workout to Monday's. My squats were a bit shaky as I was still a bit sore, but deadlifts were way too easy again. I think I will change it up a little on Friday and do much lower weight on squats and really bump up the deadlifts. I also did some different push/pull weights as well as a good warm up and some cool down stretches. It feels good to lift and I am hoping this will motivate me to incorporate this into my next challenge. I may see if I can alternate running and lifting with some bodyweight thrown in. It is a bot early to be thinking of the next challenge, though.

And thnx all for your kind words and support, it really does help.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

I forgot how sore lifting makes me. DOMS. I haz dem.

That is the one thing I don't miss about lifting-- but then again... that's how you know you're getting those sweet, sweet gains! I'm excited to see how you keep incorporating lifting into your future challenges. Keep up the good work, Doug!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

deadlifts were way too easy again. I think I will change it up a little on Friday and do much lower weight on squats and really bump up the deadlifts.

Yessss heavy deadlifts for the win!!! 

14 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Anyone who measures their pizza intake by any other unit of measurement than "lots" is lying.

Oh, I just ate the tiniest little piece of pizza. Although they brought me enough for three people, I simply ate the exact, nutritionally correct amount for my 6'4" frame, and then made polite conversation for the rest of the evening without even thinking about pizza. I completely forgot it was even there! Also, I turned down the wine, dessert, and water with bubbles because I hear it's bad for your teeth. I had plain tap water, but not too much. Also, I floss regularly and never have envious or judgemental thoughts. 

• Haha 5

Ode to the Foam Roller

Oh foam roller, you exasperate me to no end...
But your ability to make me moan loudly
  is why we are such fast friends.
Calves scream - hamstrings pop
Quads cry out...
  pleasure or pain? They know not.
My glutes are your playground,
  taking on my knots
In you I believe I have found
  Something better than cortisone shots

• Like 2

The group of Warriors quickly and quietly approached the large group of undead, working to get closer to the necromancer closest to them. At a nod from the party leader, GoodDoug broke cover, brandishing his large sword, running towards the rotting horde.

The group cleaved through the ghouls and zombies efficiently, the half-ogre forming the point of the spear and concentrating on forward movement while the others protracted his flank. After a flurry of fighting, GoodDoug found himself facing the necromancer. The undead leader looked surprised to be facing him, and hastily readied a spell. The half-ogre muttered a quick counter spell and went in for the attack.

A wave of sickly green energy washed towards him, weakened by the counterspell, but still with some teeth. GoodDoug fought through the necrotic energy and swung his sword at the necromancer. The other Warriors fanned out to keep the undead away from the half-ogre and his quarry. GoodDoug's first swing went slightly wide, but his return swing was on target, catching the necromancer on the leg. The necromancer swung his staff at the half-ogre's head. Ducking, the large Ranger shoved the necromancer, hoping to break his concentration and swinging once again. This swing was true and caught the enemy in the midsection. 

Immediately, the zombies around them lost cohesion, milling about and striking randomly. At the same time, more Warriors emerged from the woods to take the fight to the other necromancers. The fighting was intense but short lived. GoodDoug's group mowed through the undead around them heading for another necromancer. This time the Warrior leader made a heroic leap over the heads of the last line of defense to take out this second necromancer in one quick swipe of his sword.

The warriors mopped up the remaining undead and GoodDoug got to work healing those that needed it. In the end, half the original group of warriors were out of commission, some because of injury and some that would not be rising again. To make sure they wouldn't the Warriors built large funeral pyres. The healing work was therapeutic for the half-ogre.

His time with the Warriors was at an end. It was time to get to the front lines again.

Week recap:

Not bad at all. I had a little week 3 slumpage, but basically got it mostly done. Juggling and Duolingo was consistent. Tracking was consistent... even when I ate like crap I tracked it. I was on point for protein at the very least so yay.

I got a new tool for the woodshop, a drum sander. So I've spent some time getting that set up, but did nothing else for woodwork. I'd like to get some more time to do some work, but it isn't likely I will get much more time until the break next week.

Lifting was good. I decided to lift somewhat lighter but more consistently. Monday and Wednesday I did a set of squats and deadlifts along with some different upper body push pull exercises. Squats were kicking my ass but deadlifts were too easy, so on Friday I did just deadlifts at a much heavier weight. It felt pretty good to push to what felt was my max effort. But, I remember now that lifting makes me stupidly hungry. I know I need to eat more when I lift, but damn, son. I'm trying to get back on track a bit for the coming week, but I definitely need to take this information into account when thinking of the next challenge.

I'm ready to hang with the Assassins this week.

• Like 6

GoodDoug crept forward, he was with a group of Assassins tasked with rescuing a group of captured orcs. The intel they had received put the orcs at a prison camp behind enemy lines,. The orcs were waiting to get changed into ghouls, and the Rebellion had no intention of letting that happen. Working with the Assassin's guild had been different, he could sneak and climb, but not nearly as well as they could. Watching one of the lithe assassins in front of him press themselves up against a tree, hiding and then suddenly scampering up to the lowest boughs... only to leap across noiselessly to the wall surrounding the prison yard, he marveled at how they moved. He felt clumsy with them, but they were patient and taught him what they could.

GoodDoug crept the rest of the way to the wall at the leader's signal and scaled it. He wasn't sure what waited on the other side, but it was bound to be exciting.

OK, Assassin's week. I've been working on my handstands for a while now. Most of my workouts the last few months have me doing a few kick-ups and my handstand has gotten a little better over that time. But I haven't taken time like this to really focus on handstand training. So far this week, I've done morning workouts that have consisted of warm ups, then ten to fifteen minutes of chest to wall handstand practice, followed by some kick ups and finishing with core work (dead bugs and this other exercise that is hard to describe) and cool down stretches.

To start, I am able to hold myself upside down feet on and off the wall as needed in the chest to wall holds for about 45 seconds at a time. Before I had timed it, I thought it was closer to 15 seconds... so it turns out I am a bad judge of that. I am also surprised at the muscles I can feel engaging when I do it for that long and concentrate on form (shoulders strong, hollow body, toes pointed, balancing on the balls of my hands and not the heels.) In particular, I can feel my mid back muscles fluttering as I balance. Yes I feel it in my shoulders, but that mid back wasn't something I expected, though now that I think about it it makes total sense.

I did a bit of underpants gathering this weekend looking at more handstand tutorial videos for any tips. The best cue I got was to balance more on the balls of your hands than the heels of your hands. It is a little tougher, but gives you a lot more control.

For core work, I am sticking with dead bugs and this other thing I sorta learned about... I can't do it like they did it in the tutorial, but I think it is really helping. Down in an extended push up position, then push your weight forward past your arms, feeling the muscles in your shoulders, and pushing forward until you are about to fall on your face. Then use your abdominals to drag your feet up to your hands. I can drag my feet quite a bit, but then have to kind of hop the quarter meter or so.  I feel like it strengthens my core as well as my shoulders. And I feel like it is preparing me for more hand balancing stuff. I think it is a standard exercise for doing press to handstand training.

As you can tell, I am enjoying this. I am sore, but not as sore as Warrior week made me. But sore in very different places.

I'm still tracking my food, and I'm still eating like crap. Today I am going to try and be very careful about what I eat and see if I can't get myself back on track. I know it will take a couple of days of hard work before it gets easier again, but I need to do it.

I missed Duolingo yesterday... the only excuse I have is that I had to sit next to chatty people on the bus yesterday and then was just way too tired to do it before bed last night. I hate that my streak got ruined again and it was tough to start it up this morning but I did it. Time to restart the streak.

• Like 7

The assassins made their way through the prison camp. Guards were a mix of undead and bandits. Bandits manned the outer walls and zombies were surrounding the inner pens where the orcs were kept. GoodDoug could hear the loud snores of sleeping orcs, but he also knew they wouldn't have left themselves without some orcs keeping watch at night. The half-ogre watched as two of the assassins systematically took care of the guards leading to the gate. Their plan relied on a quick surgical strike, freeing the orcs and getting them out the front gate and away before the prison camp's garrison could respond. There were Rangers approaching that would help them once they got out of the prison compound, but inside, they were on their own. The assassin next to GoodDoug grinned and whispered, "Watch this."

She slinked out of hiding, crouched almost impossibly low as she approached two of the guards. Slipping her knives from their sheathes, she quickly leapt up, plunging them both into the neck of one guard, spinning him so he was between her and the other guard. The other guard reacted, but not quickly enough as she pirouetted around his dying companion and jammed her knife into him before he could yell out a warning.

GoodDoug snuck up next to her and the two bodies, "I'm glad you are on our side."

Quick recap:

The handstand training is going well. I'm glad to finally take some time to focus on handstands and see how far I can take them now. I am still spending a bit of time upside down and am working on form and balance as much as I can. I feel like it is a little better, but we always wish we could just do a couple days of hard work and suddenly everything is awesome... and my form is better and I can spend a bit more time upside down in balance than when I started the week. I've also done some kick-ups and that is going fine. No big leaps there, but I was already doing a couple of kick-ups a day for a while. Now I need to kick up and stay up.

Also working on my core. I took it easy yesterday, as I was starting to really feel it in my abs, to the point of grunting when getting out of bed in the morning. I feel good about the core work, as I know it will really help me.

Everything else is going fine, tracking and protein intake are doing well. I ate much better yesterday than I have in a while. It is hard to go back to eating correctly (read that as no extra processed sugar) as my body tries to tell me I am hungry when really it is just craving carbs. I feel like I've gotten pretty good at noticing the difference between hunger and cravings... but I have to actually let myself notice it.

I did some writing today and I am liking it when I take the time to write. I feel like I am moving to a better place with it. Before, I had to push to make time to write... and then I would waffle on what I should write about. Now I just start writing about whatever I happen to be thinking about at the moment. Today I started writing just after juggling and wrote about that. I wrote about how when I started juggling, I would get really frustrated by drops. I would find myself getting angry and discouraged, making me not want to practice any more. I knew I needed to keep practicing to get where I wanted. I remembered something I had read about the physical act of smiling releasing chemicals in the brain that helped you be happy. So, I resolved to force a smile whenever I bent over to pick up the balls after I dropped. That has become such a habit, that I found myself smiling today every time I dropped and bent over to pick up the balls. What a wonderful gift to my future self from my past self. 

Maybe I can use the same tactic with handstands... every time I come down before I want to, force a smile...

• Like 6

I really like the idea of forcing  smile when you are practicing a skill. Smiling really affects your mood. And I hate it when it goes wrong and makes me grumpy. Forcing a smile will remind me to be grateful for what I can do, and remind me that this is something I enjoy.

• Like 1