• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

GoodDoug

GoodDoug Does ALL THE THINGS

22 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

That has become such a habit, that I found myself smiling today every time I dropped and bent over to pick up the balls. What a wonderful gift to my future self from my past self. 

This is friggin awesome. So cool that it worked like that.

• Like 1

On 11/22/2019 at 2:25 PM, GoodDoug said:

Quick recap:

The handstand training is going well. I'm glad to finally take some time to focus on handstands and see how far I can take them now. I am still spending a bit of time upside down and am working on form and balance as much as I can. I feel like it is a little better, but we always wish we could just do a couple days of hard work and suddenly everything is awesome... and my form is better and I can spend a bit more time upside down in balance than when I started the week. I've also done some kick-ups and that is going fine. No big leaps there, but I was already doing a couple of kick-ups a day for a while. Now I need to kick up and stay up.

That is awesome. It sounds like all your hard work is starting to pay off. 

Everything else is going fine, tracking and protein intake are doing well. I ate much better yesterday than I have in a while. It is hard to go back to eating correctly (read that as no extra processed sugar) as my body tries to tell me I am hungry when really it is just craving carbs. I feel like I've gotten pretty good at noticing the difference between hunger and cravings... but I have to actually let myself notice it.

I don't know if this is an issue for you or not, but I found that if I significantly reduce sodium and salty foods for a few days, it really helps with sugar cravings. Obviously this only applies if you eat salty/high sodium foods. I tried it after reading somewhere that eating too much sodium makes you more hungry than you really are. Something to consider if it applies to you :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aquarii said:

don't know if this is an issue for you or not, but I found that if I significantly reduce sodium and salty foods for a few days, it really helps with sugar cravings.

I will have to try that

On 11/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, GoodDoug said:

I knew I needed to keep practicing to get where I wanted. I remembered something I had read about the physical act of smiling releasing chemicals in the brain that helped you be happy. So, I resolved to force a smile whenever I bent over to pick up the balls after I dropped. That has become such a habit, that I found myself smiling today every time I dropped and bent over to pick up the balls. What a wonderful gift to my future self from my past self. 

I've heard that before and applied it to some things, but I'd never thought of apply it to physical training. I will have to experiment with that now.

• Like 2

I remembered something I had read about the physical act of smiling releasing chemicals in the brain that helped you be happy. So, I resolved to force a smile whenever I bent over to pick up the balls after I dropped. That has become such a habit, that I found myself smiling today every time I dropped and bent over to pick up the balls. What a wonderful gift to my future self from my past self. 

Maybe I can use the same tactic with handstands... every time I come down before I want to, force a smile...

What a wonderful idea!! Definitely a great gift from past you to current and future you. Keep up the great work!

• Like 2

On 11/22/2019 at 9:25 PM, GoodDoug said:

I wrote about how when I started juggling, I would get really frustrated by drops. I would find myself getting angry and discouraged, making me not want to practice any more. I knew I needed to keep practicing to get where I wanted. I remembered something I had read about the physical act of smiling releasing chemicals in the brain that helped you be happy. So, I resolved to force a smile whenever I bent over to pick up the balls after I dropped. That has become such a habit, that I found myself smiling today every time I dropped and bent over to pick up the balls. What a wonderful gift to my future self from my past self. 

Maybe I can use the same tactic with handstands... every time I come down before I want to, force a smile...

I love this! I should try it for my tumbling practices where I have a tendency to get into my head.

Sounds like your handstand progress is going really well!

• Like 1

I had a fun experience with smiling too! Before my last marathon the speaker (Deena Kastor, an olympic medalist) said you should smile during the race...partly because it releases endorphins etc. but also because then all the volunteers will see you smiling and think you are having fun and get sucked into running the thing next year. As I ran along, I smiled and thought about tricking people into signing up for the suffering. And that made me smile even more.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Xena said:

I had a fun experience with smiling too! Before my last marathon the speaker (Deena Kastor, an olympic medalist) said you should smile during the race...partly because it releases endorphins etc. but also because then all the volunteers will see you smiling and think you are having fun and get sucked into running the thing next year. As I ran along, I smiled and thought about tricking people into signing up for the suffering. And that made me smile even more.

Haha! Before soccer (football) games I tell my kids to smile during the game. At least pretend you are having fun. It drives the competitors nuts! This past weekend my older daughter was playing wing and a fullback was punching her in the back. My daughter smiled big and whacked her with her elbow and the other girl got a warning. My daughter should have had the warning as well, but got away with it.

• Like 1

GoodDoug the half-ogre helped to dispatch the guards in the prison camp. They couldn't get all of them, but made sure there was a clear line from the pens holding the orcs to the exit they were planning to use. It was hard work, but they managed to do it quietly until the very end. The Assassins stormed the holding pens, some taking out guards and some opening the locks. The orcs were quick to realize what was happening and grabbed the weapons from the fallen guards and started to fight. GoodDoug quickly spoke in orcish and got the orcs to start moving to the exit they had planned.

The half-ogre ran towards the exit, noting that there were some assassin and orc bodies mixed with the guards and zombies. They knew this was a dangerous mission, but it was pivotal for the Rebellion. Now these orcs wouldn't be tools of the enemy, and the orcs were more likely to trust the rebellion from here on out.

Week 4 recap:

Blah-blah, tracking food... yada-yadda, juggling and writing... all going fine. I made some adjustments to my food intake that I think will help, but otherwise it is all going to plan.

I did a bunch of handstand training this week and feel really good about it. I took it a little easy on Thursday and worked hard on Friday. Then Saturday I spent a whole bunch of time upside down. I even filmed a little bit of it... noticed my legs were splayed funny and the next film I could see myself making the correction. I can hold it free for almost 10 seconds, which is forever for me. I feel good about this week overall.

Current week:

Running with the Rangers this week, running, handstands and bodyweight are the name of the game this week. I already went for a run yesterday (Monday) and did some handstand and bodyweight stuff this morning. I am also doing a lot of housework for the holiday coming up (American Thanksgiving) and spending a lot of time in the woodshed, so that is great.

Sorry I haven't been on much, but busy, busy, busy!

Thnx!

• Like 4

Thanks all, quick recap for the final week... oops.

I did great Monday and Tuesday. I went running, did lots of handstand stuff and kicked ass.

Then I got really sick on Wednesday... and I still had tons of prep to do for Thanksgiving dinner, so I used all of my energy to get through that on Wednesday and Thursday. Spent a bunch of Friday cleaning and recovering and started to feel human on Saturday. So, stopped tracking food and did nothing for exercise, but kept up with juggling and Duolingo. I don't feel too bad about the week, because I know I can jump back into it now that I'm feeling good and am back into a routine with work.

So, I'm going to say that GoodDoug the half-ogre took the fight to the enemy and then suffered a big set back. But I'm still fighting. I'll do a full recap tomorrow and start up the new challenge after that.

• Like 2

Full challenge recap:

Prepare:

• Juggling every day
  • Food tracking every day
  •  protein greater than 100g every day

Except for the last week, I did great

Practice:

• Duolingo every day
  • Write 3 times a week
  • Get 4 more puzzle boxes done

I did this again except for the last week. I got 4 boxes done, I got Duolingo done every day (even when I got sick) and I almost wrote 3 days a week.

Push:

• Workout MWF (which workouts depends which weeks)
  • Active recovery TTh 

This turned out great. Again, stumbled that last week, but otherwise I feel really good about this. I liked doing something different every week as it allowed me to shake things up and to try some things back on to see how they fit. I think it will really inform the next few challeneges going forward. I may do this "all the guilds" thing again in the future.

Play:

• Saturdays are for doing something active that is fun.

I really didn't do this. Maybe a little, but not in the way I wanted to.

Ponder:

• Stay active on the forums and reach out to the other guilds
  • Meditate on the bus
  • Sundays will be for planning workouts for the next week.

I stayed active on the forums, but only meditated a few times on the bus. I didn't really use Sunday to plan out the next week, other than, "I'm going to run this week, MWF!" So, if you can call that planning, then I did that.

Overall, it was a great challenge. I had fun mixing it up and felt like I got stronger and fitter while having some fun with it. For food, I tracked and made sure I got my protein in, but I also did a bunch of sugary snacks that I could have done better without. I may try and make that a focus in the new year. Getting sick sucked, but I am not letting it get me down. Life happens, I am dealing with it and moving on. I could have started back a little sooner, but decided that I wanted to do a full recovery and not worry about hurrying to catch back up.

I apologize for not finishing out the story this time, but I'm just not feeling it right now. 

• Like 4

story lines are optional, I love the challenge that you had.

now, with all the guilds posting in the same place- its so timely.  looking forward to the continuing adventures of GoodDoug

• Like 2