The Hero of Time breaks the curse on the Great Deku Tree... by focusing and improving his life

The Hero of Time

43 minutes ago, Quirky Quinn said:

I wouldn't get too worked up about not finishing!  And I like the fact that you've realised that that is your priority, you can adjust your other tasks accordingly.  These are all things you're chosing to do, if you decide you want to do one more than another then I think thats ok.

Thank you, Quinn. It does help to hear someone say that. This stuff makes sense in my head... but I still have this feeling of failure because I haven't done what I set out to do. That would often result in giving up, but having this outlet gives me that extra bit of motivation to keep going.

15 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Looks like you are really learning a lot about time management

I hope that's what's happening. I hope that I'm learning how to respond if a task takes longer than I expect... but it mostly feels as if I'm just letting myself off the hook.

Current Challenge: More treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

Week 3, day 1 summary - Nov 11th

I had planned three time-boxes, with a double-slot for the story-writing. However, I had to tackle a big task in my to-do list and there was only time left for the story-writing slot.

Target 1: write the third story

I did the double time-box for this (two hours long) and got rest of the second story down. I even managed to trim the word-count. In the word-count trim I've lost a part of the twist that I'd originally planned---I'll have another look today at squeezing it in but I just don't think there's room. Today I plan to do a bit more re-draughting, check the PDF output, and then move on to the third story. I hope I can catch up this delay.

Target 2: Put at least part of the automation live and test it again

I didn't do anything on this.

Target 3: If our BMIs are on target, start counting carbs instead of calories

I didn't do anything on this. My wife's BMI isn't quite there, yet, anyway.  

Target 4: Read the studies that indicate cholesterol levels have no effect on the risk of heart attack and stroke, making notes

I didn't do anything on this. I'm going to have to re-scope this anyway because the Seven Countries study is going to take the whole of the challenge to read.

Target 5: Complete software installation (it takes a while to get things just how I want) 

Other notes

A fair bit of time was taken up by a pressing task that I'd been putting off. The good news is that I managed to finish it yesterday even though I had thought it was going to take a few days. That's helped to reduce the feeling of being overwhelmed.

I'm planning three time-boxes for today:

1. story-writing (2hrs)
  2. carb data (1hr)
  3. computer build (1hr)

Epic Quest: Kokiri Forest | Great Deku Tree | Great Deku Tree, part 2 - boss fight | Meeting Princess Zelda | In the royal tomb | Still in the royal tomb | Treasure-hunting in Kakariko graveyard

___

"A sword wields no strength unless the hand that holds it has courage." --- Hero's Shade, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess.

___

I help research into the Coronavirus with Rosetta@home and World Community Grid. You can too.

7 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

I hope that's what's happening. I hope that I'm learning how to respond if a task takes longer than I expect... but it mostly feels as if I'm just letting myself off the hook.

I hear you on that . Sometimes it is hard to tell. For me, it is often that I way underestimate how long things actually take, so I am getting better at that. But, there is also focusing on what I am doing so that it doesn't take as long

• Like 1

Wisdom 18.5   Dexterity 11   Charisma 12   Strength 16  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

16 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I hear you on that . Sometimes it is hard to tell. For me, it is often that I way underestimate how long things actually take, so I am getting better at that. But, there is also focusing on what I am doing so that it doesn't take as long

I wonder if I can measure it... Today, during my story-writing time-box, I'll write down any occasions I become distracted and start doing something else. Of course, the observation itself will probably change the results but it may give me some information.

I've also become aware that I think too far ahead when I'm writing. Instead of the current paragraph, I'm often rehearsing what happens closer to the end. By the time I get to the end, I've written that part in my head countless times. I also spend a lot of time agonizing over word choice. Perhaps I should start off by writing a very quick, very rough draught and then chip away at it until the sculpture is revealed. Perhaps I should just write down the part of the story I'm rehearsing and then go back to the paragraph I was working on. I'm sure there's a key, somewhere in there, to writing more efficiently.

• Like 1

___

___

Week 3, day 2 summary - Nov 12th

I managed to do the three planned time-slots: story, carb info, and computer build.

I did a two-hour time-box.

I re-draughted to a point where I was happy to print it out and let my wife read it. It's a little difficult to judge her reaction to the writing itself because she's not keen on the violence---I think it surprised her because I've never written anything like that before. Her read-through does indicate that it may be worth re-doing in the present tense---there are flash-backs in the story and I think it would be less confusing if they were differentiated by tense. I'm not exactly sure when I'll do that re-write.

I started work on plotting the third story but I had to do something about the plot template first. Having a plot outline is definitely worth it but the one I've been using doesn't seem to fit my style; or certainly not with Flash Fiction. I had a bit of a hunt around and I came across an article that pares down the story structure to the single most important element---the choice made by the protagonist. To quote:

A story needs to:

1. Require the character to make a choice,
  2. show that choice by actions, and
  3. those actions must have consequences.

That minimal structure suits Flash Fiction very nicely and I'm going to work with that for now. It does seem increasingly likely that I'll make my own plot template but this is a nice starting point.

This third week's story shares a lot in common with the first week's in that it has the same protagonist and deals with some of the same issues. I'm hoping that will streamline some of the plotting. I hope to get the plot set out today.

I did a one-hour time-box for this, which I spent filling in carb data. However, the app changes the order of the food in the list depending on which has been used most recently, and that makes it very difficult to keep track of my progress. I'm starting to think that a better approach is just to fill in carb data as we use the items. I may, instead, do a trial run carb count to see how well the app works with that.

Target 4: Read the studies that indicate cholesterol levels have no effect on the risk of heart attack and stroke, making notes

Target 5: Complete software installation (it takes a while to get things just how I want)

I did a one-hour time-box for this.

I had planned to complete the OS install last week but that was delayed by the late arrival of the NVME adapter. Since then, I've installed the OS but I haven't been able to boot directly from the NVME drive. Yesterday, I discovered this may, in part, be related to the graphics card I was using. This is related to UEFI which is a new technology to me. I do want to use that graphics card so, if it isn't compatible with UEFI at all, I'll have to settle for having a stage-one bootloader on a USB thumb drive.  I plan to investigate this tonight.

Today's plan

1. Story-writing - two hours
  2. Seven Country study - one hour
  3. computer-build - one hour
  • Like 1

___

___

Week 3, day 3 summary - Nov 13th

I managed to do the three planned time-slots: story, Seven Countries study, and computer build.

This was a two-hour time-box.

I set out the plot for the third story. There might be a couple of details I need to clarify but it's pretty much all there. I did this using the protagonist's choice as the focus.

This plotting/planning process is proving to be invaluable. Again, the plot developed quite a bit from my original idea, although the changes were less dramatic than for the second week's story. The character outlines I made in the previous challenge have also proved their worth. The story now revolves around an event in the protagonist's history that I wrote down there.

I tried to measure distractions. Of course, the fact that I knew I'd have to write them down meant that any distractions were nipped in the bud. This means that I don't have useful data on how often I get distracted, but it does mean that I was more focused as a result. Still a win.

Target 4: Read the Seven Countries study

I read some more of this and made notes. I don't think there's any way I'm going to finish reading this study by the end of the challenge.

Target 5: Boot from the NVME drive

I took the graphics card out and relied on the integrated GPU. I was able to boot Ubuntu from the NVME drive (and it booted in just a few seconds). I put the graphics card back in and it no longer booted from the NVME drive.

Two things here: I want to run Debian, not Ubuntu; I really do want to use that graphics card.

Tonight I'm going to update the VBIOS on the graphics card and see whether it makes a difference. If it can then boot Ubuntu with that graphics card then I'll try to install Debian over the top of the partition structure that Ubuntu created. If one of those two things doesn't work then I'll revert to the idea of having a first-stage boot-loader on a USB thumb drive.

Today's plan

2. invoice automation - one hour
  3. computer-build - one hour
  • Like 1

___

___

You could always write a thrilling adventure/action story, and then make a game about it? That way the one will be backup/background for the other.

Would like to know what parts you are using for your computer?

I'll try to catch up on your challenge soon.

• Like 1

Mrs. Van's Latest Challenge

Zechariah 4:6

"Not by might, nor by power, but by My spirit, saith the Lord."

Week 3, day 4 summary - Nov 14th

I managed to do the three planned time-slots: story, invoice automation, and computer build. However, the story-writing time-box took over some of the invoice automation time-box.

This was meant to be a two-hour time-box but it extended into the invoice automation time-box.

I got the whole of the story down in rough form. I managed not to be distracted. Also, I tried not to agonize so much over word choice or think too far ahead in the story. The writing process felt better and had a flow to it. I didn't worry about the word-count, at that point. I feel good about how that went. It's the first time I've been able to do that in one sitting. I think I'm also growing in confidence with this.

A consequence of not worrying about the word count is that the draught is over 1,000 words long. It's going to take some work to get it down to 500 but I'm hoping to do that today. I encroached upon the invoice automation time-box but I'm okay with that.

I'd like to make the ending to my next story a bit more upbeat.

This was a truncated time-box due to spending more time on the story.

I tested out a few ideas to fix the bug but they didn't work. If I can't fix it today, I'm going to have to rewrite that part of the code altogether. That would be frustrating because I want to understand why it's not working in its present form.

After resetting the BIOS settings, the machine booted straight into Ubuntu on the NVME drive, even with the graphics card in. That was unexpected but does mean that the VBIOS update is unnecessary. After some fiddling about with efibootmgr I discovered that one of the boot entries appeared to be corrupted and that may have led to some of the failed attempts to get this working. Currently, I have both Ubuntu and Debian installed side-by-side and I'm able to boot into Debian using Ubuntu's boot-loader. Tonight I'm going to see if I can get things streamlined enough that I can uninstall Ubuntu and still boot Debian.

Today's plan

2. invoice automation - one hour
  3. computer build - one hour
  • Like 1

___

___

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

You could always write a thrilling adventure/action story, and then make a game about it? That way the one will be backup/background for the other.

That is something I've considered. More recently, I've also thought about the idea of doing it the other way around---making the game first and then writing stories based on the game---perhaps even having a patron system that gives access to the stories in exchange for funding the game. It's just a vague idea atm.

5 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Would like to know what parts you are using for your computer?

I'm becoming aware that I'm so out of date that they may not be powerful by others' standards. In any case:

• CPU - Intel i5-2500K at 3.3GHz (I can easily overclock this to 4.5GHz, I'm going to try for 5)
  • RAM - 16GiB of 2400MHz Hyperx Savage dual channel
  • GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX780 (EVGA)
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 with LGA1155 socket
  • NVME drive - 128GB Transcend 110s
  • Case - Antec P-160

There's a previous generation 2.8GHz i7-930 kicking around with some triple-channel RAM. The triple-channel aspect tempted me but all the benchmarks put the i5 on top.

• Like 1

___

___

13 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

I'm becoming aware that I'm so out of date that they may not be powerful by others' standards. In any case:

• CPU - Intel i5-2500K at 3.3GHz (I can easily overclock this to 4.5GHz, I'm going to try for 5)
  • RAM - 16GiB of 2400MHz Hyperx Savage dual channel
  • GPU - nVidia GeForce GTX780 (EVGA)
  • Motherboard - Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 with LGA1155 socket
  • NVME drive - 128GB Transcend 110s
  • Case - Antec P-160

There's a previous generation 2.8GHz i7-930 kicking around with some triple-channel RAM. The triple-channel aspect tempted me but all the benchmarks put the i5 on top.

Just make sure you have enough fans with an overclocked machine. They overheat very fast. The normal fans that come with your CPU unit, isn't always enough to cool things down. But I see with Antec you can choose your own power supply, so check for those fans.

The boys' and my computers aren't top of the range anymore but funny enough theirs (which is our old computer upgraded a bit) can still keep up with most of the games out there, except the really big games driven by graphics overload. I don't think a lot of gamers (well not here in South Africa anyway) can afford such big machines. Hubby says your system looks good enough to get some good gaming development going (he is a Delphi developer, not games). You will need more hard drive space though.

The boys' desktop is an i3 with 8Gb ram, nVidia GTX660, with 2x500Gb hard drives. They have a very old box, but it works fine after we put a new power supply in. I can't remember what m.board they have, and their playing at the moment, so I can't look up what i3. Can't remember those details you know :D We both run 64bit Windows systems and it manages fine. But your machine looks great! I think you can do a stellar job on it. And obviously you'll be able to run office suites or at least a writing programme, although I don't know what MS Word needs nowadays. We use LibreOffice and have no problems. But then you'll probably use something specifically for writing/authors. (Talk about being out of the loop :D working from home).

I have an i5-6500 (3.2GHz) with 8Gb ram, and a nVidia GTX950 GPU. I can't remember which motherboard exactly (but I prefer Intel run). We don't use solid state HDs as it is too expensive and you still need the actual space. We just don't think (for us and our not so serious gaming and uses) that the speed increase is worth the price tag. We put a little more money in our screens though. We also don't have top of the range, but the boys have a 17" and I have a 21" or 23" (memory thing again) full HD 1920x1800 LG brand. I like the bigger screens because I frequently have two programmes running at the same time. For instance when I'm proof reading, the reading app is on the left, and the writing app on the right to note mistakes. No Alt+Tab-ing anymore between views. Hubby uses two/three screens at work for development purposes, but here at home his laptops are also 17" full HDs. Also doesn't mess up your eyes as much.

Enjoy your baby! I think (mho) it is a great machine to start off with and get you going for the foreseeable future.

• Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 8:09 AM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Just make sure you have enough fans with an overclocked machine. They overheat very fast. The normal fans that come with your CPU unit, isn't always enough to cool things down. But I see with Antec you can choose your own power supply, so check for those fans

Those parts, including the case, come from his son's old (recently upgraded) machine. He had done some overclocking so, thankfully, the cooling is pretty decent. There are two case fans and the CPU fan is pretty chunky. They're also all aligned to provide mostly uninterrupted airflow from the front to the back of the machine. I intend to stress-test it using a programme called s-tui until I find a stable set-up. There's a decent PSU in there - an EVGA Supernova 850G.

Hubby says your system looks good enough to get some good gaming development going

That's reassuring to hear from someone who's more current with hardware. I did worry that the new system may be obsolete already.

he is a Delphi developer, not games

I had a go with Delphi soon after college. Nowadays I use mainly Python. That's how I'm doing the invoice automation I've mentioned.

For the game development, I'll be using Godot (certainly for while) and doing the modelling in Blender. One advantage of Godot is that the native scripting language is very Python-like.

You will need more hard drive space though

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I'll be moving the 2TB Toshiba DT01ACA200 from my current machine (a 4GiB, 3GHz Core 2 Duo I built back in 2009) once the new one is up and running. That hard disc has reasonable performance but was chosen for its reliability.

But your machine looks great! I think you can do a stellar job on it.

Thank you. :smile-new:

And obviously you'll be able to run office suites or at least a writing programme, although I don't know what MS Word needs nowadays. We use LibreOffice and have no problems. But then you'll probably use something specifically for writing/authors. (Talk about being out of the loop :D working from home). 

I run Linux rather than Windows, and I use LibreOffice for Office-like work (LibreOffice is great). For my writing, actually I use a plain text editor and the Markdown lightweight markup language. I then use pandoc to produce the output in various formats that I want to submit---usually PDF but it can produce MS Office or LibreOffice documents if I want. This allows me to conform with varying formatting requirements without having multiple versions of the source document. I'd use LyX if I were to use GUI writing software (it allows me to concentrate on the content and structure rather than the formatting) but, by using Markdown, I can also use my phone for writing.

I have an i5-6500 (3.2GHz) with 8Gb ram, and a nVidia GTX950 GPU

It's amazing how they can get so much more performance out of each clock cycle with successive generations. Your Geekbench benchmarks are:

• single-core - 912
  • multi-core - 2948

whereas my 2500K come out as:

• single-core - 814
  • multi-core - 2686

We don't use solid state HDs as it is too expensive and you still need the actual space. We just don't think (for us and our not so serious gaming and uses) that the speed increase is worth the price tag

I agreed with you here up until the point of building this machine. The 128GB Transcend 110S NVME SSD is the only component (apart from its adapter) that I've bought myself and I got it for 26 quid, including delivery. This will contain only the OS and some performance-critical files (such as exports of the games I create). The key here was to get DRAM-less. The DRAM on normal SSDs functions as a buffer to improve performance and longevity but greatly increase the cost of the device. DRAM-less drives off-load that job to the PC's own RAM. The Transcend has great read performance (especially as it's NVME) but not so great write performance. However, the only times I'll be writing to it are when doing software updates and game exports, so that trade-off works just fine for me. I agree that buying something like a 2TB SSD is prohibitively expensive.

We put a little more money in our screens though. We also don't have top of the range, but the boys have a 17" and I have a 21" or 23" (memory thing again) full HD 1920x1800 LG brand.

I have a 23" Dell screen. TBH, I've always found it to be disappointing. The size is great but the colour-reproduction is not good. It's fine for text-editing but not for photography.

I like the bigger screens because I frequently have two programmes running at the same time. For instance when I'm proof reading, the reading app is on the left, and the writing app on the right to note mistakes. No Alt+Tab-ing anymore between views.

The larger screen is great for that. What sort of proof-reading do you do?

Hubby uses two/three screens at work for development purposes

I really should get a second screen.

I think (mho) it is a great machine to start off with and get you going for the foreseeable future.

It is good to hear that. Thank you.

May I ask your sons' favourite games?

• Like 1

___

___

Week 3, day 5 summary - Nov 15th

Friday seems such a long time ago... I'm hoping it'll start coming back to me as I write this. After jogging my memory with my previous post, I'm sure I did the three planned time-boxes.

I managed to get the story edited down to (just) under 500 words. This is the first time I've been able to do a whole story without needing extra time after Friday... and I didn't start this one until Tuesday. I'm pretty pleased that I was able to do this. The double time-boxes made a difference, as did the fact that I was more aware of distractions and less willing to succumb to them.

I printed it out for my wife to read. She found it confusing, but it does have two locations and three time-settings in five hundred words. It's possible that I was too ambitious with doing that. Having said that, she is dyslexic and isn't keen on stories that jump from one time to another. I quite like the story but I wish it had a better ending. There may be some re-draughting during zero-week of the next challenge.

I did an hour on this and managed to fix the obstinate bug. The script is now able to generate invoices for more than one customer in the same pass.

I did an hour on this.

I managed to get to the point where I could uninstall Ubuntu and still boot Debian. This is what I learned:

The Debian installer, on this machine, creates a corrupt UEFI boot entry at position 0001 when it tries to install grub. From memory, the error I get complains it couldn't run the command "grub-install dummy" and says that it's a fatal error. I ignored the error and carried on regardless.

Installing Ubuntu alongside Debian removes the corrupt boot entry and adds one of its own (actually, two). It also adds a grub menu item that allows me to boot into Debian.

If I then boot into Debian I can successfully add a non-corrupt UEFI boot entry by running, from the command-line:

sudo grub-install /dev/nvme0n1 --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi/
after mounting /dev/nvme0n1p1 as /boot/efi/. I then had to configure the grub menu and I used the grub-customizer to do so.

At this point I was able to boot to Debian using the Debian UEFI boot entry.

The next steps were to remove the Ubuntu partition, resize the Debian partition, and use efibootmgr to remove the orphaned Ubuntu boot entries:

sudo efibootmgr -b <bootnum> -B

"bootnum" is likely to be something along the lines of 0003 but run efibootmgr with no arguments to find out.

At this point, the machine was booting just how I wanted and I was able to play with the Debian install. However, I'd forgotten one, unrelated but important, detail. I hadn't set up a swap partition because I intend to use the one that's already on the Toshiba hard disc when I move it over. I believe this resulted in the installer using a swap file instead. However, I use a btrfs root partition and that does not like swap files, especially when hibernation is involved. Sure enough, after a couple of hibernate cycles, I started getting errors from that filesystem. It looks as if I may have to go through that whole installation process, including the UEFI boot entry juggling, tonight.

Talking about hibernation, I'm concerned that a hedgehog who lives in our back garden hasn't started hibernating yet. It's bloody freezing outside.

Whole week summary

I'm really pleased that I was able to get a whole story down and edited in the space of one week, without the need for extra time on the weekend. I'm also pretty pleased with the progress made with the computer-build, despite the hibernation frustration.

My target names have got way out of sync. I think this tells me that some quests aren't as well suited to having weekly targets.

Non-writing and computer-build targets did slip. This was expected when I doubled the writing time-box lengths and I'm okay with that.

Fitness

My right ankle has been a little sore and swollen for a couple of weeks now. I think it was caused by some of my exercises but I couldn't tell you which. Unless it feels a lot better during the strength training tonight, I'm going to skip the interval training this week in the hope that will give it chance to recover.

I tried doing the twisting thing with my lunges but it didn't seem to make them all that much more difficult. I'm going to try doing them with the dumbbells tonight.

My wife put on a little weight (~1lb) while my weight stayed the same. This means that I'm still under my target weight while she's still over hers. We're talking about putting together a yoga routine she can do in the afternoons in the hope that will burn a few extra calories. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Today's plan

Today looks pretty busy so I'm only going to plan for two time-boxes:

• writing - two hours
  • computer-build - one hour
  • Like 1

___

___

3 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

That's reassuring to hear from someone who's more current with hardware. I did worry that the new system may be obsolete already.

Brandt is rather up to date, me not that much anymore, but I'm trying to catch up again as Brandt is looking to buy a new computer, and he likes discussing the options. He's looked at Python at one stage, but most of his work is with Delphi, SQL, C++, C#, and then whatever else (like drawing programmes, etc.) he might need for whatever job he is on. At the moment some of the guys at his one office uses Json a lot, so he is teaching himself that to be able to help them at times. I just catch some of the talk if I have to see him at his office, so I'm really not too clued in on whatever they are using.

I agreed with you here up until the point of building this machine. The 128GB Transcend 110S NVME SSD is the only component (apart from its adapter) that I've bought myself and I got it for 26 quid, including delivery. This will contain only the OS and some performance-critical files (such as exports of the games I create). The key here was to get DRAM-less. The DRAM on normal SSDs functions as a buffer to improve performance and longevity but greatly increase the cost of the device. DRAM-less drives off-load that job to the PC's own RAM. The Transcend has great read performance (especially as it's NVME) but not so great write performance. However, the only times I'll be writing to it are when doing software updates and game exports, so that trade-off works just fine for me. I agree that buying something like a 2TB SSD is prohibitively expensive.

When we looked at SSD for my computer about three years ago it was R2500 for a small (I think) 100Gb (so about 10x your price). I don't think it was NVMe though. Brandt has probably read about it, but I'll show him your comment.

I run Linux rather than Windows, and I use LibreOffice for Office-like work

Awesome! I used to run Ubuntu as a dual boot with Windows on my old computer. When I upgraded to Win10 I had so much trouble installing as a dual boot that I just gave up and started using Windows. I know I could have installed a virtual windows, but the hassle with everything just because I wanted to play games was just too much for what I was willing to work out or learn. So I stuck with Windows but I fondly think back to Ubuntu. At one stage I got quite handy with Linux code, but at the moment I can't remember anything! I've forgotten so much through the years.

What sort of proof-reading do you do?

Oh I basically read my favourite authors' books before they launch them on Amazon (and all the other e-book sites). Some (indie) authors ask for people to help to cut down on their costs, and you have to both find errors, and write a review. In return you get the book for free. I check for everything from punctuation to spelling, grammar, sentence structure, correct word use (homophones and things like 'rather use teenager instead of teen aged child), but also things like story-line (what did they say about this character or place in one book, or at the beginning of the story, and what are they saying now). The authors have a group of readers who do this job for them.

At the moment I'm helping two ladies in Australia, and one in UK, although the one in UK I basically only do ARC reading for. Her books are very long and I just don't have the time to read it in the three to four days she normally gives, but apparently I still manage to find problems like story line and character glitches, if they are there, which the other readers don't pick up on. She even used my sons in one of her books! :D We became very good friends.

May I ask your sons' favourite games?

In summary: fps (mayhem and destruction), then animals and building games.

Minecraft* of course, then old favourites like Ark Survival* (and some of its add-ons), Jurassic World Evolution*, Spore*, Scrap Mechanics*, Sims 4*, the old War Craft* and Star Craft*, and of course some of the Lego games*.

FPSs: Halo (Halo Wars on PC), Call of Duty, Star Wars*, Battlefield 1*, Team Fortress 2*, Titanfall 2*, Fall Out 4* (and more in its series), Doom 2016* and Doom II*. Assassins' Creed, and BioShock (although some of these are on XBox and not PC*).

Their computer struggles with Ark nowadays and Doom2016 (a little bit, not much).

• Like 1

Week 4, day 1 summary - Nov 18th

I did the two planned time-boxes of writing and computer-build. However, the writing time-box was a little truncated due to other tasks.

Target 1: write the fourth story

I concentrated on filling out the character profile. It strikes me that these profiles are more detailed and take longer than necessary for this length of story. However, it gives me practice for thinking about the things I want in a character background (treating it as a skill) and this character (or variation thereof) will also be used in next week's story.

Target 2: Implement and test next selected part of the automation, or find a way to enhance the live automation

I didn't do anything on this. However, it should be noted that this target will have to be renamed anyway.

Target 3: Make bug-reports to the Waistline app for ways in which usability for carb counting can be improved (for instance, when you add a recipe, the total calories and fat are shown but not carbs)

I didn't do anything on this. However, since writing this target I've discovered that a new version of the app is in the works that already addresses most of my concerns. I think I need to spend the next time-box for this quest reassessing it altogether.

It didn't go well. I can no longer format, remove, or resize the btrfs partition in order to do a reinstall. Although it's true that btrfs doesn't like swap files or hibernation, it's also possible that process simply uncovered a fault with the drive. My reading suggests that NVME/SSD drives should support SMART so I'll ask it to do a SMART self-test in order to gauge its health. This is a frustrating set-back.

Today's plan

• Writing - two hours
  • Seven Countries Study - one hour
  • Computer build - one hour (I may start the SMART self-test early and let it run while I'm doing other things)

My ankle still is not right so I'm going to skip the interval training tonight.

___

___

19 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Brandt is rather up to date, me not that much anymore, but I'm trying to catch up again as Brandt is looking to buy a new computer, and he likes discussing the options.

You still qualify as more up to date than me.

He's looked at Python at one stage, but most of his work is with Delphi, SQL, C++, C#...

It sounds like an odd thing to say, but I really love SQL. It has an elegance to its construction. My first programming job used FoxPro (I'm sure you'd be good at that :friendly_wink:) (before it became F#) and you could write SQL directly in the code. I miss that language.

At the moment some of the guys at his one office uses Json a lot, so he is teaching himself that to be able to help them at times

I think the power of JSON comes when you use schemas to give it semantic meaning. Given the right web site/service it's possible for it to become the transport format used to treat the web as a database.

20 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

When we looked at SSD for my computer about three years ago it was R2500 for a small (I think) 100Gb (so about 10x your price). I don't think it was NVMe though. Brandt has probably read about it, but I'll show him your comment

I think DRAM-less modules, finally, are starting to have a realistic price-tag. NVME is even faster---SATA is no longer the bottle-neck.

At one stage I got quite handy with Linux code, but at the moment I can't remember anything! I've forgotten so much through the years. 

homer-learn-something-new.png

It does feel like that sometimes. I'm sure it would come back, though. I haven't run Windows on one of my own machines since 1997, so I don't have much practice with dual-booting. However, the advice seems to be to install Windows first and Linux second.

Oh I basically read my favourite authors' books before they launch them on Amazon (and all the other e-book sites). Some (indie) authors ask for people to help to cut down on their costs, and you have to both find errors, and write a review. In return you get the book for free.

That sounds like a nice little number. Would you be willing to proof-read the (very) short story I have in the spoiler tags in this thread's first post? Unfortunately, I don't have anything to give in exchange. If you are willing to do so, then please be honest.

Minecraft* of course, then old favourites like Ark Survival* (and some of its add-ons), Jurassic World Evolution*, Spore*, Scrap Mechanics*, Sims 4*, the old War Craft* and Star Craft*, and of course some of the Lego games*.

FPSs: Halo (Halo Wars on PC), Call of Duty, Star Wars*, Battlefield 1*, Team Fortress 2*, Titanfall 2*, Fall Out 4* (and more in its series), Doom 2016* and Doom II*. Assassins' Creed, and BioShock

I'm suddenly reminded of my twenty-year gap in gaming. The only ones on that list that I've played are Doom and Call of Duty. Assassin's Creed is on the to-play list, as are some of the Lego games.

I'm looking for inspiration to make my game. I don't see myself doing an FPS, unless it's more like Metroid Prime. I want the story to be big part of it. When I think of something I'd like to make, I keep coming back to Zelda: Ocarina of Time (and the thing I remember most is the story)... but I can't just make an OOT clone. May I ask your favourite games?

• Like 1

___

___

21 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

That sounds like a nice little number. Would you be willing to proof-read the (very) short story I have in the spoiler tags in this thread's first post? Unfortunately, I don't have anything to give in exchange. If you are willing to do so, then please be honest.

Yes, sure. I'll do it tonight, if you don't mind. First some school work, other admin, extra-murals for the boys. I'll pm you when I'm done.

21 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

When I think of something I'd like to make, I keep coming back to Zelda: Ocarina of Time (and the thing I remember most is the story)... but I can't just make an OOT clone. May I ask your favourite games?

More recent (within the last 10years :D ) games for me: Two Worlds (original), Fable III, Mystery/Adventure games which is basically solving puzzles, hidden objects (Grim Legends, Eventide, Kingmaker, Trine), Scribblenauts, Fallout Shelter, Civitatem, Epistory Typing Chronicles, This War of Mine, Heaven's Vault, House Flipper. Another interesting game is 80 Days, based on the novel, and there is also Avatar. Another interesting game (pixelated) which is quirky and based on 80s cops' shows, is Beat Cop.

At the moment I would honestly say that Epistory, Heaven's Vault, and the Mystery/Adventure games with puzzle solving, are my absolute favourites. With Heaven's Vault there is an archaic language (pictoglyphics) which you have to figure out and I spent hours trying to solve the language.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Yes, sure. I'll do it tonight, if you don't mind. First some school work, other admin, extra-murals for the boys. I'll pm you when I'm done.

I don't mind at all. I really appreciate it. Thank you.

32 minutes ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

More recent (within the last 10years :D ) games for me: Two Worlds (original), Fable III, Mystery/Adventure games which is basically solving puzzles, hidden objects (Grim Legends, Eventide, Kingmaker, Trine), Scribblenauts, Fallout Shelter, Civitatem, Epistory Typing Chronicles, This War of Mine, Heaven's Vault, House Flipper. Another interesting game is 80 Days, based on the novel, and there is also Avatar. Another interesting game (pixelated) which is quirky and based on 80s cops' shows, is Beat Cop.

At the moment I would honestly say that Epistory, Heaven's Vault, and the Mystery/Adventure games with puzzle solving, are my absolute favourites. With Heaven's Vault there is an archaic language (pictoglyphics) which you have to figure out and I spent hours trying to solve the language. 

Well, it looks as if I'm even more out of touch than I realized. I haven't heard of any of those. Avatar brings two things to mind but both of those are probably wrong (film and anime). I will look up all of them. It sounds as if you're more interested in puzzle/problem solving rather than shooting things. Are any of those games particularly story based?

The newer games I'm playing (Call of Duty and Bayonetta 2) seem to lead you through the story by the nose. I wonder whether that's the trend nowadays. I miss the feeling of freedom and exploration from the likes of the 3D Zeldas and Metroid Prime.

• Like 1

___

___

Week 4, day 2 summary - Nov 19th

I wasn't very disciplined with the time-boxes. I started looking at the computer-build early (because I was worried about the NVME drive) and that took over from a lot of the other plans. However, I did work on the writing in between and made decent progress. Unfortunately, the Seven Countries time-box fell by the wayside.

This was meant to be a two-hour time-box but the computer build interrupted it a lot.

I worked on the plot, using the new plot template, and it went well. I made good progress and I'm happy with the way things developed. I think I've done all the plotting necessary so far.

I'm just taking a moment to think through the reasons that the plotting went well:

The plot didn't change all that much from the original idea. Would it have changed more if I'd been more focused on this and not distracted by the computer build? I may find an answer to that as I do more of this.

The simpler plot template allowed me to focus on the main points. It worked well for such a short piece.

I knew what I was doing. Having done this a few times now, I knew what I wanted from it. I knew the points that needed to be clear before I started writing. I knew the details that needed to be set and how to flesh out the couple of sentences that described the initial idea.

It just seemed to fall into place this time.

Target 2: Implement and test next selected part of the automation, or find a way to enhance the live automation

Target 3: Make bug-reports to the Waistline app for ways in which usability for carb counting can be improved (for instance, when you add a recipe, the total calories and fat are shown but not carbs)

I had planned to do this but the computer-build took over.

This went better than Monday. This was supposed to be an hour but I worked on it, on and off, for the whole time. It was bugging me that I may have to send the drive back, and face further delays, so I couldn't leave it alone. I started working on this pretty early.

smartmontools wasn't on the Ubuntu live CD image so I booted from a Grml thumb drive. It turned out that the drive had been set to read-only. The SMART attributes didn't give me a reason but I can only assume it was due to the problems with the hibernate cycles. I was pretty close to putting it back into its box and sending it back but I wanted to make sure I'd tried everything. After some reading I found the "nvme" command. After reading the man page and trying a few different things I was finally able to bring it out of its read-only state by issuing the command:

nvme format /dev/nvme0n1

I then did the install dance with Ubuntu, then Debian, then Ubuntu again. I'm so glad I wrote down the process, above, to get the UEFI boot working because I followed it to the letter. I now have Debian booting from the NVME drive again. The first thing I did was to disable hibernation. The second was to disable swap. The third was to set:

Storage=volatile

in /etc/systemd/journald.conf so that systemd-journald doesn't write logs to disc.

I will be keeping a close eye on the health of this drive but it seems to be working fine for now. I'm undecided whether to work on overclocking or software installation next. Contrary to my original plan, it makes some sense to wait until after I've found a stable overclocking profile before tackling the software installation. I also want to look at moving /var/log/ from the NVME drive to RAM in order to reduce the number of disc writes.

Today's plan

I have a hunch that the computer-build is going to take over some of the day again. In any case...

• writing
  • Seven Countries Study
  • computer-build
  • Like 3

___

___

Week 4, day 3 summary - Nov 20th

I wasn't very disciplined with the time-boxes again. I wanted to leave the new computer running with a stress-test while overclocked, so I started on that early; unfortunately, that didn't go so well. This meant that, again, the Seven Countries time-box didn't make it.

This was meant to be a two-hour time-box but it got squeezed to the end of the day and I only did an hour. However, I did make pretty good progress and felt more relaxed than usual while writing. I'm starting to worry that the story is a little predictable but I'm going to go with it and see what happens---there's a little bit of a twist. I'm hoping to get the first draught finished today.

I had planned to do this but the computer-build took over.

This didn't go well and I ended up with a read-only SSD again. When this happens, I do see some errors that suggest the device isn't compatible with Linux Native Command Queueing. My current plan is to try again with NCQ disabled. Then, if it still doesn't work, I'll send it back.

Today's plan

I plan to work on the computer build and the story writing. I doubt I'll manage to stick to time-boxes.

___

___

On 11/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, The Hero of Time said:

I concentrated on filling out the character profile. It strikes me that these profiles are more detailed and take longer than necessary for this length of story. However, it gives me practice for thinking about the things I want in a character background (treating it as a skill) and this character (or variation thereof) will also be used in next week's story.

I think it's good to flesh out more than you need - even if the background you have put together never actually comes up in the story. A character's background would inform their decisions, so knowing that background helps you write how they respond to things. I think the same applies to worldbuilding - authors like Tolkien wrote huge amounts of information that was never meant to be published, and even without reading any of that information the world feels more alive because of it.

On 11/20/2019 at 10:00 AM, The Hero of Time said:

The newer games I'm playing (Call of Duty and Bayonetta 2) seem to lead you through the story by the nose. I wonder whether that's the trend nowadays. I miss the feeling of freedom and exploration from the likes of the 3D Zeldas and Metroid Prime.

Games like Call of Duty certainly do, because they're basically online FPS games with a single player campaign tacked on at the end. The Fable games did a reasonable job of leading you through the story a little more gently, without having the full open-world freedom of an Elder Scrolls game or similar.

2 hours ago, The Hero of Time said:

I'm starting to worry that the story is a little predictable but I'm going to go with it and see what happens---there's a little bit of a twist.

I wouldn't worry too much about this. A lot of the time when we read stories we know that good will triumph/the hero will get the girl/they'll live happily ever after etc. etc. These stories are still fun to read though, even when we know where they're going. Depends on the genre and style, but plot twists aren't always necessary.

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

"Shit is going down, but I am not." - iatetheyeti

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Forum Posts: Current Challenge - Worms - 2021 Road Map - Make a House a Home

External: Epic Quest - Instagram - Strava

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

On 11/20/2019 at 12:00 PM, The Hero of Time said:

Well, it looks as if I'm even more out of touch than I realized. I haven't heard of any of those. Avatar brings two things to mind but both of those are probably wrong (film and anime). I will look up all of them. It sounds as if you're more interested in puzzle/problem solving rather than shooting things. Are any of those games particularly story based?

Avatar is the game version of the movie taking place on Pandora planet, with the blue people :) It is based on that story, and things go basically along the same lines as in the movie, but you get to a point where you decide whether you are pro humans or pro Na'vi. You have some leeway to roam around and do things, but it is pretty much scripted what follows on. I tend to like this combination, but also where there are multiple endings depending on your choices, which is what Fable III tried to do. You have a reputation that changes according to your choices. Heaven's Vault also has a story line with different endings depending on your choices, but you have more freedom to follow whims, but you end up having to go past certain particular points. What I read is that depending on your choices, certain other choices or side story lines might not even show up in your game.

I have played fps games, and my all time favourite is still Soldier of Fortune I and II. I seriously dislike online games, and multiplayer games. I want to play by myself, enjoy myself and do what I want to do. For some or other reason other fps' that I've tried just doesn't tally up to SoF, and that puts me off. I tried the boys' Halo games but it is on the XBox and I also dislike the controller. I'm a keyboard player. My fingers can move crazy fast over those keys, but put me on a console and I'm all thumbs and toes and don't know what is what. Probably comes from all the years of touch typing. I know where the keys are. The controller frustrates me endlessly. Another action game I tried was Tomb Raider, Anniversary edition. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't play for long stretches of time, thus loose the thread, and forget the keys and then it takes forever to get up and playing again. So I loose interest and just push it aside.

The only shooting game I'm playing at the moment is Reload. It is a basic shooting practice game, that takes you through pistols, rifles, shotguns, and then various scenarios in which you have to shoot. All on ranges, like in real life. It helps with reaction time and aiming in real life. And if you hold your breath when shooting in a standing position, or anytime with the rifle, you learn breathing too. I would love to have a touch screen with laser pistol so that I could have the real life feel and weight of a 9mm pistol when I shoot though.

2 hours ago, Jarric said:

I wouldn't worry too much about this. A lot of the time when we read stories we know that good will triumph/the hero will get the girl/they'll live happily ever after etc. etc. These stories are still fun to read though, even when we know where they're going. Depends on the genre and style, but plot twists aren't always necessary.

Yip.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

I'm all thumbs and toes

I've never come across this phrase before, but I really like it!

I'm also a keyboard and mouse gamer. Particularly for FPS's, I can aim so much faster and more accurately moving a mouse than a stick on a controller.

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Don't say "I don't have enough time", say instead "that's not a priority right now" and see how that makes you feel.

Spoiler

Previous Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46

Old Stuff: Battle Log - My Introduction - 2017 Road Map - 2018 Road Map - 2019 Road Map

Week 4, day 4 summary - Nov 21st

I didn't really use time-boxes again. I spent most of my time on the computer-build because I had to do the installation tango again, but worked on the story on the occasions it was downloading and installing files or running stress tests.

I worked on this intermittently during breaks in the computer build. As a result, I didn't quite get the whole story down. This story is a little more upbeat and I like that. I still plan to complete the editing of the first draught today.

This was mostly better than the previous day. I did the installation dance, this time installing Debian and Ubuntu only once each.

I've elected to use ext4 as the filesystem this time---I'm reluctant to think that btrfs was causing the problems but, given the issues I've been having, I thought it was wise to opt for something safer. I've used LVM to allow flexibility with the partitions (I was going to use subvolumes with btrfs). I repeated the whole thing with disabling swap and hibernation (although apparently I didn't fully disable suspend).

Everything seemed stable so I started to experiment with overclocking. I stress-tested, using s-tui, with various BIOS settings. I discovered that I couldn't push it to 5GHz (on all cores) without it overheating straight away. At 4.7GHz the temperature also peaked higher than I wanted, so I've settled with 4.6GHz. I want to experiment with fan controls to see if I can push it a little further. I have the RAM clocked at 2.133GHz and I'll see if I can push that a little further, too.

Infuriatingly, upon returning to the computer at the end of the evening, it had put itself into suspend mode. Waking it up made the system hang. However, after booting, everything seemed to be working properly. To my eyes, the SMART attributes suggest that this drive doesn't support power-saving modes so that could explain this and some of the other issues. I have since run the command:

sudo systemctl mask sleep.target suspend.target hibernate.target hybrid-sleep.target

According to Thomas Hartung this should well and truly disable suspend and hibernate modes.

Assuming I don't end up with the drive in read-only mode again, I'm going to make a to-do list (I know how you love those, @Jarric :friendly_wink:); otherwise I'll lose track:

• configure /var/log so that it no longer writes to disc
  • upgrade the kernel to 5.2 or 5.3
  • look at fan-speed control options
  • buy drive bays for the case
  • buy molex cables for the modular power supply
  • see if I can overclock the RAM a little more
  • configure the graphics card for best performance
  • make a list of software installed on my current system and try to replicate that on the new system
  • make backups and exports of the security keys from my current system, import them to the new machine
  • transfer the mechanical hard drive from the old system
  • merge the configurations from the old system

That list may well grow for a time as I remember other tasks.

Today's plan

I'm going to stick to the computer-build and story writing again. There have been significant delays to the computer build, as a result of the NVME drive issues, and I really want to catch up. However, that doesn't lessen the priority of the story-writing.

• Like 2

___

___

22 hours ago, Jarric said:

I think it's good to flesh out more than you need - even if the background you have put together never actually comes up in the story. A character's background would inform their decisions, so knowing that background helps you write how they respond to things. I think the same applies to worldbuilding - authors like Tolkien wrote huge amounts of information that was never meant to be published, and even without reading any of that information the world feels more alive because of it.

I think you're right. It feels a little odd going into so much detail for a 500-word story but I can see times where it's already paid off. There was an Ernest Hemingway quote... *leafs through some notes*... Ah, there it is:

The dignity of movement of an ice-berg is due to only one-eighth of it being above water. If a writer of prose knows enough of what he is writing about he may omit things that he knows and the reader, if the writer is writing truly enough, will have a feeling of those things as strongly as though the writer had stated them.

When I was reading through tips for writing flash fiction, they all said to include a twist. However, that's resulted in a most of this challenge's stories having a rather downbeat ending. Maybe you're right and I should trust my instinct for story writing a bit more.

Games like Call of Duty certainly do, because they're basically online FPS games with a single player campaign tacked on at the end. The Fable games did a reasonable job of leading you through the story a little more gently, without having the full open-world freedom of an Elder Scrolls game or similar.

I've never actually played the multiplayer mode of CoD, mainly because I think I'd die in the first few minutes. I've heard of Elder Scrolls and I'll do some more reading on that and Fable for inspiration.

The more I think about it, the less likely I am to make an FPS. I want story and exploration to feature heavily. Although the Metroid Primes have both of those, while also being first-person, I prefer the idea of third-person. I'll have to think about what sort of combat system I want.

Avatar is the game version of the movie taking place on Pandora planet, with the blue people

I loved the film (I wonder when they're going to come out with a 4K version). If the game is half as good, I can see why you like it so much.

on the XBox and I also dislike the controller. I'm a keyboard player. My fingers can move crazy fast over those keys, but put me on a console and I'm all thumbs and toes and don't know what is what. Probably comes from all the years of touch typing

18 hours ago, Jarric said:

I'm also a keyboard and mouse gamer. Particularly for FPS's, I can aim so much faster and more accurately moving a mouse than a stick on a controller.

Although I spend most of my time on a PC, and I'm a fast touch-typer, I've always done my gaming on a console (apart from the original Doom). I feel more at home with a controller in my hand and I do my gaming on a Wii U nowadays (that's also where I do my exercises). Given that games I write will probably be played on PC, I should think about keyboard-based control schemes. Can either of you think of games that do that particularly well?

For the record, I use the Wii Zapper for aiming in CoD. I wouldn't like to try that with just an analogue stick.

21 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Another action game I tried was Tomb Raider, Anniversary edition. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't play for long stretches of time, thus loose the thread...

That's on my list. I'm trying to include as many classics as I can. It should provide some more inspiration for third-person, camera, exploration, and combat systems. Having said that, I saw a bit of a video walkthrough of the latest Tomb Raider and it looks like another one that leads you through the story by the nose.

21 hours ago, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

...multiple endings depending on your choices...

I'd like to do something like that. Maybe not for my first game, but...

• Like 2

___

___

19 minutes ago, The Hero of Time said:

Given that games I write will probably be played on PC, I should think about keyboard-based control schemes. Can either of you think of games that do that particularly well?

They mouse does so much in PC games that it's hard to get the controls wrong I think. WASD to move and strafe, mouse to look around, left and right click for the main actions you are regularly doing.

I think the trick actually is to avoid the temptation to use every key on the keyboard. Every time I pick up Skyrim again I have to pull out the manual to remember what keys do what because there's so many of them:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/elderscrolls/images/f/f1/Kbd-elder-scrolls-v-the-skyrim.svg/revision/latest?cb=20180421181218

• Like 2

Level 15 Wood Elf Ranger

IAgreeWithTank™

Spoiler