• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Raxie

Raxie Continues Penemue's Quest

My last challenge got totally derailed because of an injury, so I'm going to use the same theme this time around.  I am still obsessing over my new D&D character in a PbP game I'm playing with Wolfie, Starpuck, Jarric and being DMed by DarkRaider.  She's a fallen aasimar warlock and I started delving pretty deeply into her backstory last challenge which I really want to continue with - I haven't really flexed my creative writing skills like that in a while and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. 

I have an insanely crazy month coming up for me though - a dance competition, my birthday, a vacation, hosting thanksgiving, prepping for my volunteer organization's gala (the Human Rights Campaign) that I'm co-chairing the Silent Auction for, and of course my regular load of the myriad of D&D games that I'm DMing and playing in, dance classes, lifting, and my full time job.  So I'm not going to go nuts on the goals. 

I recently got a new bullet journal for anyone who is curious - I was using a subscription service and getting small pre-organized monthly ones for almost six months which was great and really got me into the habit of using them, but I think I am over the hump of needing that and want to be able to just use the content I want to use now.  I have 2 separate journals now, one for to-do lists and one for a work out log, and I'm not going to use either of them in a day planner capacity any more either, that's what I use Google Calendar for and I don't need to recreate it. Making it more simple I think will really help me manage my to-do lists better (my to-do lists get kind of truly insane between DM prep, dance to-dos like stoning my dress and cutting music, my volunteer work, house keeping stuff, and any other randomness that comes my way)

I've been basing a lot of my challenges on my bullet journal and that has actually been largely successful for me, so I'll continue with that. My only two goals will be to share my bullet journaling and to post some Penemue Story :)

Goal 1 - Bullet Journaling

Post pictures of the following each week:

• Daily habit tracker
  • Food log
  • Weekly Spread
  • Workout Log
  • Workout Habit Tracker

Goal 2 - Challenge Updates

• Post 3 "chapters" of Penemue Alya's background throughout the challenge
  • Post a real update aside from Bullet Journal pictures at least once a week
  • Like 7

Reserved for Story Consolidation.

Part One - Penemue

Spoiler

Penemue Alya grew up a normal child on the outskirts of the city of Reth.  While her parents noticed at a young age that she seemed to never get sick or injured, was quite strong, fiercely charismatic, and physically flawless, they decided to not draw attention to these interesting features her daughter possessed.  Because of this decision, Penemue managed to have a fairly typical adolescence, albeit notably easier than most due to her mysterious special nature giving her a leg up in many situations.  Raised by a blacksmith mother and cleric father who regularly sold their goods of weapons, armor, and potions in the main city,  it was no surprise that Penemue grew up quite comfortably - her family's services were always in demand in Reth's famous arenas. Others around town would joke that her parents were an unlikely pair - her mother providing the means to fight while her father provided healing and protection from what her mother's wares may bring. But Penemue never saw it that way - she always innately understood that these aspects of life were eternally and inescapably intertwined. How could and why would one exist without the other?  Violence and battle, and healing and protection were two sides of the same coin of chaos.

Both her mother and her father came from a long line of their respectful trades, and it was clear to Penemue that they each longed for her to eventually choose one of them to apprentice with. While she loved her mother and father dearly, she secretly did not want to follow either of their paths. She wanted to learn battle magic, and she wanted to fight. As she approached adulthood these desires became more and more intense - so strong that she began to have dreams of blood and battle that left a fire in her upon waking that she could not extinguish.  On the night of her 23rd birthday, her dreams were so real she could actually taste the metal, the magic, and the smoke. Suddenly, amongst the frenzy of warfare, a dark, glowing, winged being more beautiful than any person Penemue had ever seen appeared to her, and spoke...

avacyn-the-purifier-flip-side.jpg

Part Two - The Dream

Spoiler

The eyes of the winged being were pupiless and entirely black, as dark as the night sky without stars, and like the emptiness at the bottom of the ocean they seemed to have an unknowable depth.   The feeling that something immense was moving just beyond sight behind those eyes pressed into Penemue’s mind. Penemue was suddenly overtaken by a deafening swirling wind as the battle around them slowed until it was nearly frozen.  The eyes became twin pools of inky blackness and dominated all of Penemue’s focus. The being, an angel Penemue now knew with sudden certainty, spoke directly into Penemue’s mind without speaking out loud. The words were echoing and multi-toned, as if coming from a great distance. The voice seemed to whisper and shout at the same time as its tempo rose and fell with the speed of the wind that surrounded them.

“Penemue Alya. You walk in the shadows between darkness and light.  Come with me and step into the darkness. Rain destruction upon the world. You are power.  You bring death.”

The angel suddenly had a huge sword in their hand, but Penemue had not seen them draw it. The blade appeared to be cut from a dark stone, it absorbed all of the light around it and its edge was so fine it was barely visible with turned on its side. The hilt was an intricate pattern that wrapped around the angels hand such that  Penemue could not discern exactly where the hand began and the hilt ended, they seemed to be connected, the opal glowing white skin and the dark rough metal fused and flowing around each other in a way that could only make sense in the deepest of fevered dreams. Penemue suddenly realized the blade was pointed at her.

“Do not deny your true calling. You have been chosen. Come with me. Fall with me.”

The blade flashed toward her and a searing pain shot through Penemue’s chest.  She looked down and saw that the blade had cut an intricate pattern into her skin over her heart. She barely had time to register that it resembled the design of the hilt of the angels sword before a throbbing pain replaced the searing one and began to pulse through every cell in her entire body.  The pain was intense, but it also felt like a great power was surging through her. She saw that the wound did not bleed, but emenated a barely visible dark glow that strengthened and ebbed with the beat of her heart.

“The Akanapeaks hold your power. Find it. Your time in this place grows short.”

The angel lashed out and cut down every fighter on both sides of the battle in one spinning sweep of the blade. Blood dripped from its dark edge and this time the blade itself seemed to speak to Penemue.

“Find your power. Join us.”

Penemue woke up in a cold sweat, clutching her chest above her heart.  She moved her hand and saw with a start that she had a faint scar there, it seemed to be in the vague shape of a snake.  Was it a scar? Or was it a birth mark? Hadn’t she always had it? Why did it startle her so much? She couldn’t quite remember in her dazed state, her dream quickly fading from her mind. All she remembered clearly was battle, along with the power and joy she felt there.  A smile fell over her lips as she tried to hold on to that feeling, her finger absentmindedly tracing the serpent scar. She seemed to also remember a voice telling her that her time in this place grew short. What could that mean?

The last of the dream slipped through her grasp as screams began piercing through the night outside her window.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e617773

Part Three - Awakening

Spoiler

Penemue snapped awake.  Still immersed in thoughts of her dream, she at first could not tell if the smell of smoke and the sound of screams was in her head or actually coming through her window.  Penemues thoughts fully came into reality when her mother, morningstar in hand, slammed open her door and shouted, “Pen - hide!” Glancing out the window before diving under her bed, Penemue saw the bakery across the street was in flames.  The owners, the Goldenfields, were on the street crying. A vicious looking group surrounded them - a red headed human man on a warhorse held a fireball in his hand, a gnome with long flowing hair riding a mastiff circled the family intimidatingly as a shadow swirled around her fist, and worst of all, a strange elf holding impossibly sharp glowing twin daggers was riding what appeared to be a 10 foot long spider.  With a start, Penemue realized the rogue elf must be a dark elf - a drow - but having never seen one she could not be sure. 

From under her bed she heard the drow say “Do not resist, we have no desire to do further damage to you or your town.  We merely require your assistance. This bakery here seemed like such a prosperous establishment we were sure they would be able to give us what we needed, but alas they denied us.  Do not make the same mistake. Your weapon and potions business must be quite profitable, just look at that craftsmanship on that morningstar!” With a growing horror Penemue realized the drow was speaking to her parents.  A smaller voice, presumably of the gnome, added “It really is quite simple, just give us all of your gold and we will leave you in peace. Or do not, and suffer the same fate of this lovely family.” Unable to see, all Penemue heard was a high pitched scream of pain.  

At the sound, Penemues scar began to throb and she heard the faint echo of a whisper in her head, “Join us…” Almost uncontrollably, Penemue burst out from under her bed and ran outside, grasping at her chest with a fury and focus like she had never felt before raging inside her. She saw the gnome had dismounted her mastiff and was pressing her finger against the forehead of Lucia Goldenfield, the mother of the family who owned the bakery. A dark energy was flowing into Lucia and seeping out of her pores as she writhed in pain

Pen! No! Go back inside!” Her father shouted desperately.

The goblin looked up and turned to Penemue, pulling her finger from Lucia who unconsciously slumped to the ground.  She sounded amused as she said, “Well aren’t you quite the pretty girl. Come to save your parents and tell me where you keep your money and valuable supplies? We could certainly use some of those expensive healing potions as well, now that I think about it

Penemue took in the scene fully now - the two still conscious Goldenfields were staring at their burning home with glassy eyes. Karella, the baker's daughter who was only a year younger than Pen looked so small as she grasped at her mother’s hand.  The wizard playfully bounced the fireball between his hands from his horseback, taking in Penemue’s home and waiting for the word to burn it down. The drow’s fingers twitched above his daggers and looked impatiently towards Penemue’s parents, clearly wanting to simply kill them all and take their goods and move on to the next town. Only the gnome maintained eye contact with Penemue as a surge of anger shot through her. “No.” Penemue said simply

“I was hoping you’d say that” replied the gnome, smiling and clenching her fist., Shadows surged around her hand as she launched her small body towards Penemue.  Penemue heard both of her parents shouting, but she couldn’t make out the words or the direction the sounds were coming from. All she could see was the gnome running towards her with her hand outstretched.  A sense of stillness and calm washed over Pen, she again heard the echo in her mind, “Join us…”. This was it, this was battle, this was what she had been waiting for.  

The gnome reached her and wrapped her small hands around Penemue’s neck.  Penemue felt a deep cold energy begin to flow through her from the gnomes hands, but it was only a nuisance in the back of her mind that for some reason was not affecting her.  The gnome pulled back, a confused look in her eye. She began to say “Why isn't…?” when suddenly Penemue pressed her hand against her serpentine mark on her chest and screamed unintelligibly on the top of her lungs - she had no specific goal or intention behind the scream, only adrenaline pumping through her and the single focus of destroying her enemy.   She felt her back erupt in an explosion of energy that was so cold it burned. Looking up she saw the shadows of skeletal wings spanning at least 7 feet beginning to unfold around her

“I said, no.” Penemue repeated calmly, as the gnomes eyes went wide with fear and crying out, “What...are you?” as she retreated towards her mastiff.  Penemue shot glances at the human and the drow, each of which let out a small yelp and began kicking their mounts to flee the town as quickly as possible, the gnome not far behind.  

Satisfied, Penemue glanced at the Goldenfields.  They were looking at her in fear, as if Penemue had not seen this family every day of her life.  With tears in her eyes, Karella repeated what the gnome had said, “What are you?!

Penemue tried to turn to look at her parents, but in a sudden wave of dizziness, she collapsed into unconsciousness.

skeltaltags-764453.jpeg

• Like 5

Yaaay following.  I really want to see more behind the scene stuff for Pen.  I'm kind of obsessed with her.

Good plan on keeping things simple and tight during the crazy month!

Raxie!!! Here for you and excited to hear about all the dancing! Which comp are you doing?

Also, I'll be in NYC the weekend of the 7th for a comp - lemme know if you wanna meet up or get the spectating deets. :D

On 10/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, Starpuck said:

Yaaay following.  I really want to see more behind the scene stuff for Pen.  I'm kind of obsessed with her.

Good plan on keeping things simple and tight during the crazy month!

I am so excited to dive into Pen a little deeper! She's definitely the most fun I've had with a character in a long while.

On 10/24/2019 at 4:55 PM, Elastigirl said:

Following!

:) Yay thanks!

On 10/24/2019 at 5:14 PM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Also following. 

Hooray welcome aboard Tank :D

On 10/24/2019 at 6:28 PM, NeverThatBored said:

Following! I've been enjoying all of your memes and dancing videos on instagram lately. :)

Hahah thank you! Meme collecting is definitely one of my favourite hobbies XD

On 10/25/2019 at 2:27 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Raxie!!! Here for you and excited to hear about all the dancing! Which comp are you doing?

Also, I'll be in NYC the weekend of the 7th for a comp - lemme know if you wanna meet up or get the spectating deets. :D

Paragon Open! They do it super Halloween themed so it was really fun/cool.

Ahhh boo I am leaving for my vacation on the 8th :( Which comp is it?

EDIT: WAIT do you mean November or December? If it's November I won't be here, but I know Columbia's Big Apple comp is that weekend in December so I'm hoping maybe you mean then instead because I WILL TOTALLY COME WATCH YOU OMGGGG THAT WOULD BE SO GREAT!!!

On 10/26/2019 at 12:40 PM, darkfoxx said:

*insert pom poms here*

giphy.gif

16 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Totally following along

Glad to have you!

• Like 2

Also PS I found a @Jarric earlier this month wandering around NYC! I never shared it because of how busy I was last challenge but still wanted to get it out there because nerd meet ups are the absolute best :)

iF_Jpu-7ogg0FhrMF6gv0OQ-QpAPmbVPPX1VM90P

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Raxie said:

Also PS I found a @Jarric earlier this month wandering around NYC! I never shared it because of how busy I was last challenge but still wanted to get it out there because nerd meet ups are the absolute best :)

iF_Jpu-7ogg0FhrMF6gv0OQ-QpAPmbVPPX1VM90P

Nerd meetups are the best! Thanks again for introducing me to NYC.

I'll be following along for the narrative, D&D and general madness, of course.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

It is, in fact, Big Apple at Columbia!!!! See you there!!!!!!!

SQUEEE YESSSS!!!!!! So pumped to see you compete! You're officially in my calendar :D :D

1 hour ago, Jarric said:

Nerd meetups are the best! Thanks again for introducing me to NYC.

I'll be following along for the narrative, D&D and general madness, of course.

Of course! I had a blast. If you're ever back in the area there's tons more food to be sampled (because that's really the best part of the city tbh) :)

• Like 3

I really want to meet @jarric some day!  If we do, we will absolutely have to plan a one-shot though!  I refuse to meet him and NOT D&D live with him!

• Like 3

On 10/29/2019 at 2:40 PM, Raxie said:

SQUEEE YESSSS!!!!!! So pumped to see you compete! You're officially in my calendar :D :D

Love it!! I'm planning to make my dance partner come with me to Empanada Mama cause it's that dang awesome (and it's NOT hard to convince him to join me for food adventures lol).

On 11/4/2019 at 1:02 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Love it!! I'm planning to make my dance partner come with me to Empanada Mama cause it's that dang awesome (and it's NOT hard to convince him to join me for food adventures lol).

Yayyyy! If you want more company I will literally never turn down an Empanada Mama feast haha (I ended up taking jarric there as well when he visited, even though we had literally just eaten dinner. XD) 

I'm seriously so excited to see you guys dance!!

Wow this challenge really got away from me, which I kind of figured it would which is why I made it so low threat.

I got back earlier this week from a 9 day trip to Mexico and it was such an amazing trip I can't even begin to describe how wonderful it was and how much I needed the decompression.  I for sure have been slacking since I returned though, and for the last week and half of this challenge I'm going to step it up.  I'm hosting my family for thanksgiving (~15 people will probably be making an appearance throughout the day) and cooking a giant feast, because I can't help myself, so I'll need the organization and structure being accountable here provides me with to get through it.

This week's been a crazy return home from vacation.  I had 4 dance classes in a row on Tuesday, and HRC meetings Tuesday night, Wednesday night, and also tonight. Luckily Tuesday and tonight was/is a call in.

Here are all my bullet journal pictures I was supposed to share in week 1 and 2, some of them are monthly so it has this first half of week 3 in it as well.  For the October food log and workout log stuff I didn't start tracking until zero week of this challenge so that's why the first half of it's blank.

I have a few other pages to share but I don't have time to take and edit the pictures at the moment, so I'll post those tomorrow.

October & November Food Logs:

So my eating has been pretttyyyyy all over the place (red dots to the left of the entry indicate what I would consider days I ate like an asshole).  I'm getting back on track today though.

Spoiler

6-9CvwNk4ivCPCvHmRfCLn6N-4tYIXAd0znJvoRa kF_MSECbltz3BUyplVJeZWgN4un-VQCnkwHL7ZYQ

Weekly Spreads:

Pretty self Explanatory. My to-do lists are nutso.  I don't expect anyone to actually look at or understand this, it's more just for accountability that I had spreads for all the weeks and used them.

Spoiler

ojvUP4RKWq0XyVCusmcadvFyRuT7h8QCWmPIsyJA

Qu6IWGeOgKiqeziiUH7NwhXDVW-H68bwce20-St7 TQ-2pNjEl8Ax8NyJMyMADNzbvJ52cGLu19WEVLMk

Work Out Tracker:

This is my new favourite thing I started this challenge! I love the visual so much, and it really  helps me see that even when I'm feeling like I'm slacking I still basically do something every single day. FYI, the "other" for all the days mid-November were while I was on vacation and it was swimming/snorkeling :)

Spoiler

7BxRmCVMpescdWPr0qppJ-qNGscQnacnfVFvjUcs y-bjV6L2m8G1PglXCMAEF8Hf1kCMZMi6LZ8tE4ko

• Like 5

Dude, that workout tracker is a really cool concept! Great way to remind yourself that you're still doing lots!

Best of luck with all the Thanksgiving prep, and enjoy the time hosting!!!

• Like 1

Lol I knew this challenge was gonna be a bust up front.  My birthday, a 10 day vacation, and Thanksgiving all falling in it was pretty much a recipe for neglect.  But that's OK.  New challenge time!