• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverThatBored

NeverThatBored: Never Gonna Give You Up

3 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm pretty excited for the holiday season and new year too. Do you really think you've been particularly unsuccessful? From an outside perspective, it seems like you do really well! Your shins keep nagging and you don't always do everything you hope (you often have very "Rangerly" challenges), but in general you seem to be winning for sure.

I've been unsuccessful in that I set challenge goals and don't do them. Crossfit is a routine thing now that's not a challenge goal (and it's great!), but pretty much anything else I try to do as a goal (food stuff, mobility, personal growth projects, etc.) doesn't end up happening. I feel like I'm struggling to set new goals and work on them in general - for example, struggling to actually use a bullet journal/to do list that I used to use every day, losing track of stuff I need to do like making appointments that used to be super easy to keep on top of, etc.. 

• Like 1

Why do you think you're having so much trouble? Low energy? Too many things in your plate?

I know how it is to want to do all the things, but maybe you can prioritise and start with stablishing only one routine or achieving one goal.

Nice to see you back!

3 hours ago, zenLara said:

Why do you think you're having so much trouble? Low energy? Too many things in your plate?

I know how it is to want to do all the things, but maybe you can prioritise and start with stablishing only one routine or achieving one goal.

Nice to see you back!

It's not even about all the things. Even when I set tiny goals I'm just not doing them. 

I'm not sure exactly what the reason is. Maybe low energy. Or maybe a side effect of living with another person and not knowing how to balance that with working on stuff. Or maybe being unhappy with work. Or maybe feeling like I don't have any big or particularly meaningful goals in my life right now.

It could be a lot of things. 

Those sound like important things to think about. The balancing out life with another person and having a good work situation are big goals. Just a question of how to make those life goals complimentary to or consistent with challenge goals. Not easy but important.

On 11/20/2019 at 3:32 AM, zenLara said:

All the reasons you mention are worth to take a look at. Have you thought about journaling about it and see what comes out?

I journal but it doesn't really tell me anything I don't already know. 

• Sad 1

I'm enjoying CA so far! I thought/feared I'd be bored, which is part of why I decided to go back and forth instead of staying for 6 weeks, but now that I'm here and fine I'm continuing to second guess my decisions. (I do have some good things planned for when I'm back there too though.)

Part of the reason I get bored visiting here is because my parents don't do much - they mainly watch tv or do individual computer things in their free time, so it's hard to find things to do with them and I end up sitting around a lot.

But THIS TIME my mom taught me how to play backgammon, which she's really good at. Like, when she plays online with people they don't come back because she's so good. And she sometimes says she should have tried to play it professionally. But she also never had the patience to teach my sister and I when we were little (she didn't like playing with people who were bad hahaha). 

She says I've picked it up faster than anyone she's taught before and she's impressed that I understand the strategy behind the game so well. We're still at the point where she's basically playing herself because she gives me advice on most moves, but I'm learning! And I understand why she gives the advice she gives, which is the important part of that. And I love that it gives us something to do together. 

Other Stuff:

• I've been hanging out with my one friend who still lives here. He's doing the keto diet, which is SO ANNOYING when we try to go out to eat. I've totally been there from my paleo days so I'm sympathetic and can help some, but it's still pretty challenging. He also doesn't cook, which makes things way harder for him than they have to be. 
  • I've been playing Pokemon Sword. Anyone else here playing and want to trade friend codes??
  • I got a haircut for the first time in a year - whoops! I'm pretty happy with it and I'm even happier not to have it hanging over me. I feel like my old hairdresser in NY would have done a better job, but I haven't found a good replacement for him yet. 
  • I'll stay busy around Thanksgiving between visiting cousins, bonus thanksgiving at my parent's house, my HS reunion, and probably hanging out with my sister one day between all that. 

I want to find some activities to do by myself here too besides Crossfit (which I'm aiming to do around 3x/week while I'm here) but I'm short on ideas. If you guys were on a semi-vacation with a little free time, what kind of activities would you look for? I'm thinking of maybe renting a bike for a few hours and going to ride it on a trail, or of going on a hike, but I'm trying to think of some different options too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

I'tween visiting cousins, bonus thanksgiving at my parent's house, my HS reunion, and probably hanging out with my sister one day between all that. 

I want to find some activities to do by myself here too besides Crossfit (which I'm aiming to do around 3x/week while I'm here) but I'm short on ideas. If you guys were on a semi-vacation with a little free time, what kind of activities would you look for? I'm thinking of maybe renting a bike for a few hours and going to ride it on a trail, or of going on a hike, but I'm trying to think of some different options too. 

Geocaching! There are lots of ones you can do for free on the geocaching. org web site. And you can use your phones' GPS. Are you in southern CA? Just sitting outside in the sun can be a delightful  treat for me. Or eating ice cream in the sun.B)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

Geocaching! There are lots of ones you can do for free on the geocaching. org web site. And you can use your phones' GPS. Are you in southern CA? Just sitting outside in the sun can be a delightful  treat for me. Or eating ice cream in the sun.B)

Oooh, good idea! I've still never tried geocashing. 

• Like 1

I'm shopping-limited where I live, so I try to catch up on some of that stuff. I try to find some places to run (or even a race), which is pretty similar to what you already suggested. Sometimes I can talk my mom into going to the local indoor pool and sitting in the hot tub.

• Like 1

I went to a yoga class at the local studio over the weekend. It was my first time going there, and it was a nice thing to do. I've gotten more comfortable driving around in my mom's car, which is great! I would've gone on a hike, but the trails were closed after we got a bunch of rain over Thanksgiving. I did get in a nice walk though. 

Tomorrow, I head back to VA for 2 weeks before I come back here. I have fun things planned for the next 2 weeks, but also ughhhhh. I'm just anticipating all the jet lag and thinking about the $$ I could have saved if I'd just stayed here for 6 weeks instead of going back and forth. 

When I come back, I want to try to go on a bigger drive and explore a little further. I feel so much better and more relaxed when I can start to drive places without using a GPS/without being too nervous about it. My boyfriend tends to drive when we go places, which is great, but I think I also get out of practice and it probably isn't great for me. 

I signed up for a 3 hour Japanese review session next weekend, and I am EXHAUSTED at the thought of preparing for/going to it. I'm debating whether I should take the Winter semester off if I'm feeling this burned out on Japanese. 

On one hand, I don't want to be a quitter. Or rather, part of me wants to prove to myself that I can stick with something? Have some mental toughness? I feel like I never get to the point with hobbies where I actually get good with them. If I push through the next 2 semesters of Japanese, I'll be done with the 200 level and I can really start to focus on speaking/listening comprehension. It might be smarter to power through. 

On the other hand, this is just a hobby I do for fun and it's taking up a lot of time. I feel like I need more space in my life to work on bigger life stuff and I feel like Japanese becomes an easy distraction from those things. I could use a few months to slow down and work on other goals that I've been neglecting, which are a bigger priority for me. And taking a semester off won't be a big deal - I did it last year when I was in CA and I was still ok going back into it. 

• Like 1

I would def consider taking a semester off if you're burning out. With the caveat of making sure you don't entirely ignore it on said break - listen to music, watch some anime, go back and redo exercises in your textbook, etc. That way it will be pretty easy to pick up more or less where you left off when you go back to a class. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, fleaball said:

I would def consider taking a semester off if you're burning out. With the caveat of making sure you don't entirely ignore it on said break - listen to music, watch some anime, go back and redo exercises in your textbook, etc. That way it will be pretty easy to pick up more or less where you left off when you go back to a class. 

Yeah, I'm thinking if I at least do some vocabulary/kanji practice, maybe some grammar practice once a week or so, I should be fine. 

I wasn't amazing about actually doing work the last time I took a break though. 😔I'm apparently very motivated by having a class to prepare for. 

I've got a kanji website I really like and can use. I need to take some time to find an app that uses the textbook's vocab - I think there are a bunch and that might make me more consistent than trying to make myself sit down with flashcards.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

Yeah, I'm thinking if I at least do some vocabulary/kanji practice, maybe some grammar practice once a week or so, I should be fine. 

I wasn't amazing about actually doing work the last time I took a break though. 😔I'm apparently very motivated by having a class to prepare for. 

I've got a kanji website I really like and can use. I need to take some time to find an app that uses the textbook's vocab - I think there are a bunch and that might make me more consistent than trying to make myself sit down with flashcards.

I know the feeling. I was always horrible about actually practicing during downtime. 

Idk what kind of vocab you're working on, but off the top of my head I know Duolingo, Memrise, Anki, and Mango Languages offer Japanese.

4 hours ago, fleaball said:

Idk what kind of vocab you're working on, but off the top of my head I know Duolingo, Memrise, Anki, and Mango Languages offer Japanese.

We use a popular line of Japanese textbooks called Genki, and I think some apps out there specifically cover the vocab from the textbooks (I think Anki might be one of them actually). Learning/catching up/getting ahead on the book vocab is probably the #1 thing I can do to make class easier on myself since it will speed up exercises, etc..

• Like 1

I signed up for a Japanese review session on Saturday, but at the time I didn't realize it would take 40 (driving) to 90 (metro) minutes to get to my teacher's house where it's being held. I've been dreading the session for the past couple of weeks, so I decided to see if I can get out of it. I've already paid, so I might be stuck, but it never hurts to ask, right??

I'm stuck on CA time and it's very annoying - I'm going to Cfit in the evenings this week because I cannot fall asleep at a reasonable hour, but that also means I didn't get to see my Crossfit buddies! #grumpy 

On the bright side, I made Japanese style chicken fried rice for dinner and it was A++. I can see myself making it regularly. 

• Like 1

I ended up going to the Japanese study session, and it was fine. I hadn't done anything to prepare for the session, but I was able to follow along well enough anyway. 

I keep going back and forth on whether to continue next semester or take time off. After the review session I started thinking about how if I skip a semester, I won't be have the same classmates anymore! And I've been with them for 4+ classes now. And I do really want to push through the next two classes to finish the 200-level content.

BUT when I mentioned it to my boyfriend, he immediately agreed that a semester off would probably be good. And even though I'm feeling more tempted than before, I think it will probably still be good to have some time to focus on other things without the constant spectre of Japanese homework hanging over me. I've been feeling really uneasy about life lately (thanks, high school reunion!) so I really want to be thoughtful and avoid burying my feelings in too many activities. 

It's hard for me not to #doallthethings if there's not a compelling reason not to. I try to remind myself that you can like two options equally and still pick just one of them...not EVERY decision has to be "why not both?" /unconvinced/

• Like 1