In which Duo kicks butt

(We'll save taking names for later.)

Main Quest: get my grad school poop in a group

1. Complete 1 scholarship essay each week

a. I already know one will involve the United 811 incident. Yes, I am an aviation geek.

2. Sort through clothing. Remove what doesn't work. Donate it. 

a. Week one - shirts

b. Week two - pants

c. Week three - jackets/sweaters (I do live in Minnesota...)

d. Week four - everything else

Side Quests:

1. Practice ASL each day - even five minutes counts. I'm putting this as a side quest because while I don't technically need it for grad school, I am losing my hearing. I'd rather know sign well before I need it.

2. Yoga twice a week. Bonus points for extra sessions.

• Like 3

Grad school is tough. My daughter is now in her Physical Therapy rotations but two years of class work were a duck down/keep plodding/what's a social life? time.  Sorry about hearing. Good luck during the challenge!

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Ohh...grad school...I remember school challenges! Welcome to the rebellion!

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda

Welcome to the Rebellion! 

Level 74 Wood Elf Druid

Druid: || 59 | 60 | 61 | 61.5 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 ||

Ranger: || 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 ||

||Char/RPG||
STR: 57 || DEX: 59 || STA: 52 || CON: 47 || WIS: 59 || CHA: 59

BTW what exactly is a scholarship essay? Got my MBA years ago. We didn't have those.

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

5 minutes ago, solidify said:

BTW what exactly is a scholarship essay? Got my MBA years ago. We didn't have those.

Essentially, essays used to apply for scholarships. Think of search engines like fastweb or cappex. There are a lot of scholarships out there that can be used for masters programs. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duo said:

Essentially, essays used to apply for scholarships. Think of search engines like fastweb or cappex. There are a lot of scholarships out there that can be used for masters programs. 

Thanks. I thought it was part of your program.

Spoiler

October 29:

- did some ASL

October 30:

- did a yoga

- watched a Deaf YouTuber sign about the absurd amount of fingerspelling in ASL.

Of course, as soon as I set a challenge, my body decides to go berserk. Still not quite sure what my body is trying to do, since the symptoms keep fading and rising and moving to different locations. 

• Like 3
17 hours ago, Duo said:

Of course, as soon as I set a challenge, my body decides to go berserk. Still not quite sure what my body is trying to do, since the symptoms keep fading and rising and moving to different locations. 

What's troubling you?

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

7 minutes ago, Harriet said:

What's troubling you?

Current verdict is that my intestines are being weird again, causing significant pain. For the record, I have multiple known GI conditions. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Duo said:

Current verdict is that my intestines are being weird again, causing significant pain. For the record, I have multiple known GI conditions. 

Ah, sorry to hear that. I understand digestive disorders can be mysterious with multiple triggers that aren't easy to track. I hope you feel better soon, though.

Let cheese and bread and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination.

6 hours ago, Duo said:

Sorry to hear that. I have a friend who is dealing with intestinal issues. She can barely eat consistently. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Spoiler

October 31:

- ASL (Bill Vicars, lesson 5)

November 1:

- Did some reading from Lifeprint regarding Deaf culture, interpreting, etc.

November 2:

- Did a yoga

- watched someone sign

- Sorted through shirts

• Like 2

You've had a productive week

Spoiler

On 10/31/2019 at 6:55 PM, Duo said:

watched a Deaf YouTuber sign about the absurd amount of fingerspelling in ASL.

I don't much about ASL. Are you saying that there is a ton of fingerspelling because there aren't enough specific signs for words?

Hope you start feeling better soon.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

27 minutes ago, Xena said:

I don't much about ASL. Are you saying that there is a ton of fingerspelling because there aren't enough specific signs for words?

Hope you start feeling better soon.

That was basically the point the guy was trying to make. However, he himself spells out a lot of LGBT+ terms that have signs because he doesn't like those signs. Which is fair enough, given that some of those signs are either demeaning or crude. This is the original video on fingerspelling. There are captions available, they just need to be turned on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tr9-R7lhFpI

• Like 3

Great week 1! I appreciate the video, never thought of it as an issue in ASL but I see how it could be considering all the issues we have in the spoken word.

RES...and I want to live days worth dying for...

Current: RES: CUTE 2021 - is consistent

Spoiler

Growth happens when you care more about the well being of your future self than the comfort of your present self!

"Pass on what you have learned. Strength, mastery. But weakness, folly, failure also. Yes, failure most of all. The greatest teacher, failure is." -Yoda