• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aidanpryde

Aidan Pryde's November Challenge

Name: Aidan Pryde

Race: Human

Profession: Scout (Cycling is my real passion, I want to gain some strength but it will be to help my cycling get better so not really enough to classify as ranger.)

Goals:

1) Lose 6-8 lbs. My birthday is Feb. 24th. I want to be 220 by then. Currently I am 244. That is 14 weeks. If I maintain my other goals I should have no trouble with this amount.

2) Complete the Power 90 routine. I thought initially about doing P90x but I don't honestly believe that I have the strength base to complete it effectively. I am planning to do P90 first, then P90M, then P90X. The change I will make is that instead of doing the cardio videos of P90 I will do my own cardio. I eventually want to get into sprint Tri's so I will try to run, swim and bike once each week for my cardio.

3) Quit Smoking. Tried it last month. It almost worked but wasn't able to get over the first day. Hopefully this month will be better. I really feel that the smoking is causing me to take longer to recover and is hampering everything I try to accomplish in fitness as well as in life. I hate it, I can't believe I'm still doing it. I have got to get rid of this addiction.

Life Goal:

I am studying for my Linux+ certification. It is two tests for the cert. I would like to go over all of the study material for the first test this month. This way I can schedule and cram for the test as next month's goal.

Oh man, what a start to a challenge. I did an intermittent fast day yesterday from dinner on Sunday to dinner on Monday. That went well and the dinner I had last night was pretty standard. I didn't gorge at all.

Got a migraine though, which helped me not be hungry, but it also prevented me from working out. I am going to try to start waking up earlier so that I can exercise before the rest of life kicks in. We'll see how that goes.

great idea to start the challenge off with a fast! I may steal that next challenge.

Again, feel free to PM me or stalk me on facebook or anything if you need support for quitting smoking. Its unbelievably tough, and absolutely worth it. You can do it!

Thanks, I may just do that. I think I will do it after Thanksgiving. Most of my family smokes and with the stress of getting ready combined with the immersion in smoke, I don't think it will be healthy to do it before then. I'll set my quit date for November 29th. That will give me a month until Christmas too, which should be plenty of time to be able to resist when we get back together.

Another good couple of days. I did one session of Power 90 Sculpt and it really kicked my ass. My upper body is sooo sore, my back especially. I've mainly been a bicyclist and runner when I have worked out, so I have tree trunks for legs and the upper body of a child. My barrel chest hides it, but I am really weak in my upper body. Even though I consider myself a scout, I need to correct that imbalance.

Diet has been going pretty well, no issues there, doing another 24 hour fast today. These feel really good to me, make me feel light and refreshed. It will be interesting to see if it has any effect on reaching my goals.

Another day, more pain.

I, for some reason just do not heal well at all. My upper body is still killing me. I tried to scoot back in bed last night and I lost my breath from the shot of pain that my shoulders gave me. Hopefully this is just my upper body getting used to some hard work. I did not do any type of exercise yesterday, even though I should have. No excuses.

Looking forward to November 29th. I hate these damn dirty things and want to be rid of them. It would be easy to try now but I don't think I'll make it through the holiday without. Stress is my main trigger and prepping for thanksgiving will definitely stress me out.

Diet is doing well, had another intermittent fast yesterday. Ate dinner on Wed. and no food until dinner last night. I had a nice, huge salad from the store salad bar. It was over a pound of veg with some eggs and ham chunks for protein. With some lite creamy Caesar dressing it was delicious. My wife brought some cake from work so I had a bit of that as a snack.

Have a good day everyone, thanks for reading

Aidan

The best part of these intermittent fasts is that I realize how little I really need to eat. When you are used to eating whenever and whatever you want, it seems like every little hunger pang means that you are starving and it is easy to overeat while thinking that you are just fueling you body. With IF I realize that even after a day, the hunger isn't gnawing at me all that bad. The perspective gained is great. I recommend that everyone try it at least once. Maybe it's not for everyone, but if you have a day where you eat too much, try to fast 24 hours after the last meal of that day.

Just a thought that I had to get out of my head.

Later,

Aidan

Oh god, I'm sorry to hear that you have to deal with them as well. They are awful and I don't think I have the worst ones.

I actually haven't had a full blown migraine in about a year thanks to a combination of medicines, and just learning my triggers.

The best part of these intermittent fasts is that I realize how little I really need to eat. When you are used to eating whenever and whatever you want, it seems like every little hunger pang means that you are starving and it is easy to overeat while thinking that you are just fueling you body.

I've noticed that with just calorie counting I find myself less likely to give in to every little bit of hunger and I get by on a lot less than I would normally eat. I have done fasting before for spiritual reasons, and I've found it really is amazing the difference between how much food you need and how much you think you need.

You'll be happy to know that quitting will help with the migranes. I don't get them nearly as frequently, or to the degree, I used to.

Probably the extreme soreness is just DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness), which tends to happen the first few times you work a muscle to a large degree. If you can manage to work past it, it'll go away, and the worst you'll generally face is just muscle fatigue (unless you really kick your butt).

It was an interesting weekend for me. I kind of got stuck eating unhealthy meals, but I was able to plan ahead for them and restrict my calorie intake the rest of the day to compensate for the excessive meals. I think this is one way that even if I don't continue I.F. that it will still help me out going forward in my life. Before, I felt that I always had to eat three square meals, and this led to a lot of excess calories and a lot of unnecessary eating.

I really feel now that I have learned how to eat better in the long-term and not just how to follow a diet. I am not 100% good, so it may slow my weight loss a little bit, but I know that if I can lose weight with the routine I have now, then I should have no problem keeping it off.

I also made it over to a friend's house to hang out on Sat. night. He has a weight set and a power rack so I was actually able to do some strong lifts 5x5 work.

Squats: 170 5x5

Deadlift: 170 1x5

Bench: 90 5x5

Power Clean: 100 1x5

Still no cardio for the week, but that just gives me something to improve upon for next week.

The Good News: Weighed in this morning for my weekly check-in. 239.8 !!!!111!!!!!!11!1!1111

This is the first time in, I don't know how long that I have gotten back into the 230's. The lowest I have seen in my adulthood is only 10 lbs. away. That was 229.5 on my wedding day back in Sept. '07. 4.2 lbs. gone this week. I don't know how I caught the lightning in a bottle but I'm going to try to keep it there.

Later,

Aidan

Dude, nice!! Congrats on the fatloss!

I really feel now that I have learned how to eat better in the long-term and not just how to follow a diet.

This is so great to hear. You are awesome.

I really feel now that I have learned how to eat better in the long-term and not just how to follow a diet. I am not 100% good, so it may slow my weight loss a little bit, but I know that if I can lose weight with the routine I have now, then I should have no problem keeping it off.

Good job. It seems like often following a diet is easier than just making good decisions, but diets end, good decisions are for a lifetime. (Now I just need to start making them. :P )

Awww man, what a weird day, it felt like two really. Woke up fine, but not an hour after getting to work, I started feeling the first twinges of a headache. I don't know if it's the monitor, the ergonomics of my keyboard or if there is something in the air here after the building is down for the weekend, but I almost always have some sort of reaction on Mondays. I did everything I could to make it go away, went for walks, got away from my desk, I even went home at lunch and laid down. All of it helped get me through the day, but it got really bad about 45 minutes before the end of my day.

Thankfully, whatever it is, going home relieves the antagonist. Coupled with a UK basketball game, I was able to get past it by about 7:00. This gave me enough time that I was able to work out before bed.

I did the Power 90 Sculpt video and boy did I push myself hard. Felt good through most of it, if not a little tired. The part that killed me though, at the end of the video there is a session of squats. It's 21 bodyweight squats in quick succession. The exertion itself doesn't bother me so much as the up, down movement does. I've had this happen before but not for a while. Something about the blood flow to my brain gets messed up during squats and lunges at the end of intense exercise.

As soon as I was done, the dizziness, nausea and yawning kicked in. God help me I can't wait to quit smoking because I am 99% sure that getting my lungs cleaned out and getting my blood better oxygenated will probably make this go away.

The good side of the coin is that this only happens when I really push myself. So at least I know I was kicking ass up until that point. I think in the mean time though I will start off the workout doing the squats first so that I don't have to do it near the end. At least until I've quit smoking for a month or so.

As soon as I was done, the dizziness, nausea and yawning kicked in. God help me I can't wait to quit smoking because I am 99% sure that getting my lungs cleaned out and getting my blood better oxygenated will probably make this go away.

I get a degree of that at times just from my allergy/sinus issues. I can't imagine what smoking must do for that. Good for you for pushing through it.

Nothing much to discuss today. Eating was exactly where it needed to be. In fact, after inputting everything into SparkPeople it seems that I was extremely low on my calorie intake. I ate when I was hungry but not more. I think I just ate the right stuff or spaced it right so that I just always felt satisfied.

Did not exercise. I should have done it earlier, but I didn't. Then UK played Washington at 10 EST and that was the end of my workout chances. Oh well, I will have plenty of time to make it up over the extended weekend.

Maybe you could get a note from your doctor explaining that you're allergic to work and need to work from home from now on? It COULD work!

It is not my intent to diagnose you, but I found a lot of my headaches were caused by constriction in my arteries, which led to a horrible badness in the base of my skull, temples and eyes. On the plus side, long term ways to improve it are quitting smoking, managing insulin response (proper diet of low sugars and carbs), losing weight, and having regular physical activity, so you're rocking or plan to rock on all of those. In the short term, caffeine or asprin work wonders to get things flowing again. I'd suggest green tea over coffee or pop, since the one has it's own problems and the other is really high in sugar (see managing insulin response).

And no thanks are needed for stalking you! I'm cheering for you, man!

Alright, looong weekend over, it's time to get back to work.

I think I did fine over the weekend. I decided that I was not going to worry about calories and macronutrients and everything else during the holiday. It's one day a year that we get together and feast and boy was I going to enjoy it.

And let me tell you what I did. Mmmm, soo much good food. I actually had two feasts since my family gets together on Thursday and my wife's family has a tradition of getting together on Saturday. So it was eat,rest,eat rest for the days.

I actually did get some exercise in, especially on Saturday. I woke up and helped my aunt move a bunch of furniture in her house. She has a lot of real wood furniture and a bunch of old CRT TV's so my arms are sore as hell still. Then I got plenty of cardio that evening chasing three boys ranging in age from 2-7 that were trying to beat their uncle up.

Other than that not much in the way of structure. I did do an IF on Friday night/Saturday morning to make room for the meal that night.

The weigh-in this morning told me exactly what I thought it would. 240.8. That's exactly 1 lb. gain from last week. I can deal with that. It still means that I'm down 3.2 for the challenge as a whole and I have no fear that I will get rid of it and more this week.

Also, as of 1:05 AM this morning, I am a non-smoker. I finished the last cigarette in my pack right before bed and I am carrying through this time. I swear to myself. Been fine for the most part so far. Really worse than anything right now is that I kind of forget that I have quit. I will be sitting here and think, Hmmm, I think I'll go have a smoke. Then I realize that I quit so I won't. I'm a little tingly but not too bad.

Gotta love the 2 family dinner scheme for the holidays. I got to deal with it too for Thanksgiving, and it will be the same story for Christmas. We all need a break though, and that's what holidays are for.

Congrats on quitting smoking.

I actually did get some exercise in, especially on Saturday. I woke up and helped my aunt move a bunch of furniture in her house. She has a lot of real wood furniture and a bunch of old CRT TV's so my arms are sore as hell still. Then I got plenty of cardio that evening chasing three boys ranging in age from 2-7 that were trying to beat their uncle up.

Sounds like the best exercise program in the world.

Made it through my first day of the quit. Wasn't too bad really and so far today has been pretty easy as well. That's the way it is usually, tomorrow will probably be the really terrible day if past experience holds true.

I really have to thank the Allen Carr book for the help though. The little mental tricks really make it easy. I also brought my resistance bands to work so that whenever I get a craving I just pump a little instead. Normally I would walk but it is raining today. I like the extra resistance training though. I bet I could be a lot healthier if instead of smoking 20 times a day, I did 5 minutes of exercise. I might try that. Every hour, I will do jumping jacks or pushups etc. to fill up 5 minutes.

I am not really focusing too much on diet this week, it's just too much to deal with on top of the quit. I am keeping away from bad food though. I will try to eat veg or protein before I pick up sweets. Hopefully this will keep the calorie count down while I am going through withdrawal.

You are right Lynny, it is especially great exercise when you find out that they have learned that punchin' in the nuts (their words) is the best fighting strategy. I got a lot of core work as I was twisting as well as running most of the time X(

Those little monsters. It sounded fun until you mentioned THAT. :?

Congrats on the quitting!! Am so proud of you, you're going to rock this. Also suggest you do heavy cardio work every couple of days. Your ability is going to skyrocket in the next 2 weeks, and gives great motivation to realize you'll lose it all if you break.

Ya, thankfully they only got me once and it wasn't all that bad.

OK, so another day with no cigarettes. Sitting here on day 3 and the cravings have really not been all that bad. I think I was able to really put myself in the right mindset this time.

Ate too much yesterday, not sure how much exactly because I have been bad about tracking. Not a big deal though, if I have to trade a pound this week to not smoke, I will gladly take it. If I can make it through this week I feel like it will be all much easier from there.

Like you said Alethea, I am doing little blasts of resistance and cardio as often as possible to remind myself of how wonderful I feel without all that junk in my body!

Ahh, it is sooo nice to breathe easy. No matter what else happens during this challenge, if I can keep up my quit, I will give myself an A+. Nothing else I can do in one month will impact my well-being as much as this.

Sign in to follow this