• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
aidanpryde

Aidan Pryde's November Challenge

Ahh, it is sooo nice to breathe easy. No matter what else happens during this challenge, if I can keep up my quit, I will give myself an A+. Nothing else I can do in one month will impact my well-being as much as this.

Damn straight!

Oh ya, another day down. For those keeping score at home that is three days without a smoke. I took your advice Alethea and did some cardio. I came home from work and did not pass go, did not collect $200, put on some warm clothes and went out for a C25k run. It was cold as ish outside but it felt marvelous all the same. I actually for the first time running, felt like my legs were just as tired as my lungs. It was a nice feeling. It was right around 2 miles for the whole deal, running and walking.

As for eating, it was not bad but could have been better. I woke up and rather give in to a cigarette craving, I gave into a food craving and went and got McDonalds for breakfast. Boom, 1000 calories and 90 g of carbs before 8:30. I never realized how dense the sausage biscuits were. Oh well, like I said yesterday, still worth it compared to quitting smoking. The rest of the day wasn't bad but it won't matter with that bomb added in.

I woke up this morning and took my mid-week weigh-in, 239.8. Back to the weight I was before Thanksgiving week. So even with quitting smoking and the supposed massive weight gain that is supposed to happen, I have still lost a pound this week and there are still three days to go!

One of my best friends quit smoking and took up running just so she couldn't go back without giving something up, and is she wouldn't gain weight. It's worked great for her. Don't sweat the Mickey D's too much. We all need treats every now and then, especially when it's the lesser of two evils.

Thanks y'all.

I think my goal now is to train for a sprint tri some time this spring. I will have to check the calendar to see when there is one that matches the description. The biking shouldn't be a problem with the amount that I have already biked. Running will be a little bit of an issue but shouldn't be too bad. Really, I think swimming will be the hardest to pick up. I can swim, but I just have a lot of trouble with swimming distance. It will take a lot of laps to get good enough.

Wow, I think I passed my first real test with mild colors. I got a call from my dad last night right before I went to bed. Worst time of the night to talk on the phone. Well, it seems that my wonderful family has stirred up the shit pot very close to Christmas. Without boring you with the gory details it was a very stressful and unfortunate conversation that I had to have. My sisters are the ultimate drama creators and I have no choice but to be drawn in.

So I get off the phone and man does the craving of all cravings hit me. I was so close to getting in my car and buying a pack. Thankfully I have some nicotine left in the house in the form of eCigs from a previous quit attempt. I have not used them so far in this quit but i needed something today. I do not like the fact that I had to use it as I know that any nicotine that I allow in my system only prolongs the withdrawl, but if I have to choose between a little clean nicotine versus picking up a nasty cancer stick, so be it. I never want to smoke another cigarette in my life and I will do what it takes to make that happen. I know that now, it may not be the perfectly clean break that I had hoped, but I will get it one way or the other.

I think I am going to mix up some nicotine free eCig liquid and try that out for my really bad cravings, maybe just the action even without nicotine will help a bunch.

did an IF day today, no breakfast, just allowed food from 12-8PM. Had beef stew for lunch and Chili for dinner, and a bowl of cereal as a little snack. Not bad for another cig free day.

I think I am going to mix up some nicotine free eCig liquid and try that out for my really bad cravings, maybe just the action even without nicotine will help a bunch.

I know a several people who quit smoking and said they suddenly found themselves unsure what to do with the hand they normally held their cigarette in. Then they'd get antsy. Maybe having the motion will make things easier. Good for you on sticking with it though.

Don't stress the bi of nicotine. You're still doing what is healthier.

Awesome job taking that hurdle! You made a good choice. : )

When I quit, it was cold turkey, but I carried around nicotine gum with me everywhere. When I felt like I absolutely could not handle it anymore, I'd break and reach for the gum. Even a half-stick was enough to keep me going.

Instead of cutting off all crutches, give yourself a different fall-back crutch. It's another shield between you and the death-sticks.

Sorry for the delay in posting. It turned into a very busy weekend+ for me.

For the week, I weighed myself this morning and the scale read 241.6 That is another .8 gain. I'm not freaking out, this is actually a lot smaller than it could have been considering the fact that I quit smoking this week.

The nicotine-free eCig is performing admirably. I am now on day 9 and I just can not see myself picking up another cigarette. The thought of bumming one from someone, or worse, buying a pack is shameful and revolting to me now. I love the fact that my chest doesn't hurt and that my mouth doesn't taste like a zombie's armpit. I like the fact that I can go on a long drive in the cold and not have to constantly roll the window down. I like that I can take a full, deep breath and not hear or feel a crackle or tightness.

Patches and other nicotine replacements never work so well for me because most of my withdrawal tends to be psychological rather than physical. The nicotine withdrawal for me is mild, but the desire for the habit is huge. So having a perfect replica without the nicotine and the nastiness is great.

I feel that I have really turned the corner as of this weekend, so I want to get back to my goals this week. I need to get back into a regular exercise routine and start back on eating better. I want to finish this last week off strong and hopefully work hard enough that I can finish the challenge under 240, even if only by a tenth of a pound.

Another day another victory for the non-smoker. We had our Holiday Luncheon at work on Tuesday. I knew this was coming so I did an IF knowing the feast would soon arrive. I feel like considering the circumstances I did really well. I filled my plate with vegetables and protein, then added just a bit of the starchy stuff so that no one would feel bad that I didn't try their dish. Used a small desert plate for seconds and only got what I really wanted, then got a small piece of desert. Even with that I was stuffed for most of the rest of the day.

After work I went home and went for a run. Did the C25k podcast. Still first week since I haven't really done more than 1 a week. I started on the running portions and WOW what a difference. I was breathing great and the jogging seemed almost effortless at the beginning. Of course as time went on my muscles started to get tired, but my lungs felt great. My throat not so much, as I was coughing up so much stuff from my lungs and my sinuses; god I hate winter. On the last two running sections I still had enough energy to do some sprinting.

My body felt lighter, more in tune. I can tell that there was something that was chaining me down and it is gone. Allan Carr talks about the moment of revelation. I believe that I had that last night. Rarely have I ever felt so connected to my body. It was an experience. If anyone looked out their windows they would have seen a crazy person for all the whooping and clapping I was doing.

I think when I run again on Thursday I will switch to the week 2 podcast. This was just too effortless to spend any more time on week 1.

The nicotine-free eCig is performing admirably. I am now on day 9 and I just can not see myself picking up another cigarette. The thought of bumming one from someone, or worse, buying a pack is shameful and revolting to me now. I love the fact that my chest doesn't hurt and that my mouth doesn't taste like a zombie's armpit. I like the fact that I can go on a long drive in the cold and not have to constantly roll the window down. I like that I can take a full, deep breath and not hear or feel a crackle or tightness.

i think steve should add a thumbs up smiley just so i can use it to reply to this post :)

I'm tired today. Went to the UK game last night and didn't get home until 12:30. Still had to take a shower and stuff, only ended up getting about 5 hours of sleep.

It was so worth it though, had a great time with the family and got to see a nice win.

On the daily stuff, ate well, had a little bit of popcorn at the game, but not more than a couple of handfuls. I have created a workout routine for the resistance bands that I bought. I did that at work yesterday on my breaks and it really worked on my arms and chest. Gonna try a leg workout on Friday but I think it will be hard to work legs with the resistance bands. I'm having a hard time already doing rows without some support.

Feeling good, passed the 10-day mark. I am going to try the week 2 workout of C25k tonight, it will be interesting to see how it feels, but I'm not too worried. I probably won't be able to sprint like last time, but that's ok.

leg-work pretty much requires hooking the other end to a stationary object. Then you can get one end around your ankle and work sides/front/back, whatever. Bit of creativity is required, but definitely do-able.

Thumbs up! 10 days and counting! You are rocking, my friend.

Here we are, at the end of another challenge. Let's see how I matched up to my goals.

Goals:

1) Lose 6-8 lbs. My birthday is Feb. 24th. I want to be 220 by then. Currently I am 244. That is 14 weeks. If I maintain my other goals I should have no trouble with this amount.

I weighed in this morning at 240.6. That is a loss of 3.4 lbs. Not the 6 lbs. that I was hoping for but with everything else this month, that may have been a little adventurous. This is especially true with Thanksgiving thrown into this challenge. Grade: B

2) Complete the Power 90 routine. I thought initially about doing P90x but I don't honestly believe that I have the strength base to complete it effectively. I am planning to do P90 first, then P90M, then P90X. The change I will make is that instead of doing the cardio videos of P90 I will do my own cardio. I eventually want to get into sprint Tri's so I will try to run, swim and bike once each week for my cardio.

It is tough to decide how well I did on my exercise goal for the month. I didn't really follow the letter of the goal, but I did do a lot of exercise. I did a couple of P90 workouts, but I did a fair share too of resistance band training. Also, I didn't do any biking or swimming, but I have been doing the C25k program pretty faithfully for the past two weeks. Not a perfect month, but pretty good. Grade: B

3) Quit Smoking. Tried it last month. It almost worked but wasn't able to get over the first day. Hopefully this month will be better. I really feel that the smoking is causing me to take longer to recover and is hampering everything I try to accomplish in fitness as well as in life. I hate it, I can't believe I'm still doing it. I have got to get rid of this addiction.

I DID IT!!!!! Looking at my quit calendar right now, I haven't had a cigarette in 2 weeks, 9 hours and 35 minutes. Booyah! I finally made my mind up, and have stuck with it and it has been fairly pain free. It usually is when it is what you really want and from the beginning I could feel the difference. My heart was in it this time and the two weeks has just flown by. Grade: A+

Life Goal:

I am studying for my Linux+ certification. It is two tests for the cert. I would like to go over all of the study material for the first test this month. This way I can schedule and cram for the test as next month's goal.

Didn't do any of this at all. I feel pretty bad but it just got past me. Something to work on next month. Grade: F

Overall:

Looking at the month as a whole, if I had to give myself a grade, I would have to give it an A+. I know what you're thinking, I had two B's and an F. Well, the A+ that I did get trumps anything else I could have done this month short of cutting a limb off. There is nothing else I could have done in two weeks that has added more years onto my life than quitting those nasty cigarettes. I still worked out, both before and after the quit and the quit took all of the concentration I had. There was none to spare.

I feel so much better today than I did at the beginning of the month. My chest doesn't hurt, I don't get as many headaches. I can go for a jog in the cold without feeling like my lungs are going to shatter. I can see a difference in the mirror from the strength training. My arms are bigger, my chest is getting firm. I'm fitting into clothes that I couldn't just a couple months ago. I went for a run yesterday with snow falling all around me. At the beginning of the month the only reason I would have stepped out into the snow would have been to huddle and shiver while I sucked death into my lungs. Now I was breathing life, my ears filled with the sound of feet on pavement. It was wonderful. I know that I will never again be a smoker and being able to say honestly means that I passed this month's challenge with flying colors.

Damn right A+!! If you gave yourself anything less I'd have smacked you.

There aren't words to say how happy I am for you, man. As former addicts, both myself and my partner have been cheering you every day.

Sign in to follow this