Return of Kyellan: Mace, Meet Face

Kyellan

Hey guys.

giphy.gif

Uh, it's been a while.

I'm now about a year into being a dad, and while it is perhaps the best thing that's ever happened to me in a life and spiritual sense, it is, hm... NOT the best thing that's ever happened to me in a physical sense.

Because of our schedules, martial arts classes are basically right out for me. I actually thought about venturing out to another one of the guilds since my practice is not exactly monk-like right now, but let's face it, the Monastery is pretty much always going to be my home. =)

So now I need to do something that I've never successfully done in my life: establish a real exercise habit at (or very near) home, the place of all of the screens and distractions and no real good places to work out without a dog in my face.

I've put back on about 30 pounds this year, mostly from just completely ceasing my 3-4x/week classes at the end of last year. I keep hoping to go back, but right now my wife works in the evenings and somebody needs to be here with the little one (and she currently goes to bed at about 6:30pm), so being far away from home at night is basically not an option, and keeping her up until 9 or 9:30 at night also isn't really an option.

Which means that life is coming down to me.

yO6ZJi.gif

I'm hoping that you friends here might have some tips on doing stuff alone. I have kettlebells and I've also ordered a 10lb Steel Mace (because frankly, that looks like super amounts of fun, and thus the title) so my initial plan is to focus on some strength re-building with those simple tools.

Part of the problem is that I don't even know where I'm at. So this first challenge is going to have to be re-establishing a baseline, so that I actually have something to build on.

Any insight would be much appreciated, as I try to figure out some goals for the next few weeks.

source.gif

• Like 5

"You are what you do. Choose again, and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

Challenges

109 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 |

6 hours ago, Kyellan said:

my practice is not exactly monk-like right now

Monking is a state of mind.

6 hours ago, Kyellan said:

I'm hoping that you friends here might have some tips on doing stuff alone.

Lately I've been coming to the realization that one shouldn't fear the screens. One should use the screens. Visual learning is great; I don't need to privilege reading instructions all the time. And when working out at home, it's the next best thing to having some company or feedback, and also keeps your screen occupied with something that isn't distracting. Sure, it's not A+ top grade workout stuff, but, like, that's not every workout problem to be solved.

So use your screens. Don't fight your environment. Exploit it.

• Like 3

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

9 minutes ago, Teirin said:

Glad to see you back!  Lots of options for home workout.  Is jumping around an option?  Or too loud near little one?

Hey thanks! Jumping around could be an option, but sadly all I have are low ceilings. I might be able to use the living room after dark. What did you have in mind?

On 10/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, sarakingdom said:

Monking is a state of mind.

This is so true. I found it so easy to capture this state of mind at the kwoon. I need to find it here at home now. 

On 10/25/2019 at 7:48 PM, sarakingdom said:

Lately I've been coming to the realization that one shouldn't fear the screens. One should use the screens. Visual learning is great; I don't need to privilege reading instructions all the time. And when working out at home, it's the next best thing to having some company or feedback, and also keeps your screen occupied with something that isn't distracting. Sure, it's not A+ top grade workout stuff, but, like, that's not every workout problem to be solved.

So use your screens. Don't fight your environment. Exploit it.

I will endeavor to give this a go. I can see how that could potentially be helpful. I'm going to have to learn the Mace maneuvers up front, so I'm going to be starting out with some YouTube. Maybe best to watch something fun while working on the workout.

Official: I can still deadlift a 10,000 BTU air conditioner and carry it down two flights of stairs. (Approximately 70 pounds, very bulky and uneven weight distribution). It basically wrecked me to do it, but I did it. Maybe this isn't quite as hopeless as it seems =)

• Like 1

Challenges

On 10/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, Teirin said:

If you're game to try it, this is awesome fun and requires no equipment

Ooh I will take a look at that, thank you!

This is me showing up. Also, some goals now that I've had a bit of time to think:

1) Food Journal. I hate to do this again (like really) but if I don't make myself accountable, my appetite just runs amok. So I'm not doing a full MFP thing (I just... can't) but I am keeping a new digital journal and making note of what I ate that day. There's no reason for this not to be every day. It's simple, it takes very little time, and it keeps me interacting with the shiny new tech I just purchased that I've been saving towards for, like, two years. (I got myself a Microsoft Surface Pro tablet. It's glorious.)

2) Anything is better than nothing. Move more. Minimum 3x/week I want to be doing strength building. I got the mace yesterday, and did some baseline form/function determinations while I watched some of Stranger Things 3 (first run through, no spoilers plz, thank you sarakingdom that was a really good idea). There's a lot of potential there. It's a lot like the kettlebell, sort of, but the format allows for more martial movements. There's something about trying to hit things that just lights up the good parts of my brain. Minimum 1x/week I want to do some real aerobic exercise, whether that's the thing Teirin gave me above or a mile+ power walk or something that gets my breath and heart rates up. 

3) Show up. It's too important to let this fall by the wayside. It's too easy to just let it slide. I'm a sucker for lounging in front of a screen, and I'll do it all the time if I let myself. Can't happen anymore.

• Like 3

Challenges

Congratulations for showing up. You know what's in front of a screen? Nerd Fitness. You can sit in front of two screens at once, and show up. Just saying. :D

I felt like I could run forever, like I could smell the wind and feel the grass under my feet, and just run forever.

Current Challenge: #24 - Mrs. Cosmopolite Challenge

Past: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6,  #7#8, #9#10, #11a & #11b, #12, #13, #14, #15, #16, #17, #18, #19, #20, #21, #22, #23

OK, so week 1 wasn't perfect, but it was a heck of a lot better than nothing.

Food journal going well. It's still not a habit so I actually did miss a day, but I was able to backfill the day without major issues. I ended up writing sort of a long-ish journal entry (read: "rant") about how much Halloween at the office sucks. Long story short, there's an admin assistant at our Boston office that LOVES Halloween, and so she sends up a giant box of candy every year for my office. Except the problem is, I'm usually the ONLY ONE at my office on most days in my section of the building, and so it ends up being me in a losing staredown with a giant pile of sugar every year. I actually did okay, but the force of will it took me to not eat literally ALL of it left me totally dead on Thursday night.

I really kind of hate Halloween, guys. But anyway, that's over, and now on to two more whole months of food-focused holidays! :grey:

Managed a second really serious mace workout on Friday night. It felt good to sweat like that even though the evening was a bit chilly. Took the dog on a 2.2 mile hike on Sunday and that was also a good workout with lots of... I dunno, altitude variation? Lots of good hills, anyway.

Not a perfect week, but I'm here and committed to doing better in week 2. Something is better than nothing, no reason to stop now!

• Like 1

Challenges

Week 2 is better so far. I did my yearly physical and blood screening this week and... well, the answers ain't good. Upshot is that I'm actually down a few pounds since September, but the downside is that my cholesterol numbers are in the B-A-D zone. I haven't really been kind to my body this year; giving in to all kinds of stress and basically dropping all exercise from my routine all at once was a powerfully bad combo.

The good news is, I do have some control over my life. I just need to use it.

I haven't been able to work up the energy to try the half-hour kickboxing video yet (though it is on my list) but I've managed to do some work with the mace even when feeling exhausted in the evenings. There's something cathartic about swinging a 10-lb maul around. I can use the fundamentals of my martial arts training to make sure that I'm moving well and supporting everything to avoid injury, but also swing like I'm trying to bash through a crowd of invisible skeletons or whatever. The rotational energy just feels good everywhere, and it's easy to work up a good lather.

Also, I cannot say enough good things about Netflix's Voltron show. I had left off at the end of Season 5 and forgotten to go back, so now I'm pressing through to finish it up. GOD it's such fantastic storytelling. 

giphy.gif

Speaking of kids' entertainment that's better than it should be, any other 80s/90s kids really looking forward to Disney+ ? They're going to be streaming all of the classics: Tale Spin, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers, Goof Troop and way more right from the get-go. I'm unreasonably excited thinking about actually seeing ALL of those shows instead of the 5-10 re-runs that were always on the off-days when I could catch them.

WhiteAntiqueBluebreastedkookaburra-size_

• Like 1

Challenges

Week 3: In Which Kyellan Gets Sick and Everything Goes to Pot

Welp, Week 3 was basically a lost cause. I got sick last weekend and spent the whole week feeling miserable and basically doing the bare minimum to get by. Life is tough enough when you're sick, add a demanding job and a 1-year-old, and suddenly it's all about survival instead of doing anything proactive.

I'm mostly better at this point, I think better enough to start clawing my way back from survival mode. 

There's so much to think about when there's a kiddo involved. I spent an hour yesterday trying to figure out the best solution to getting her a snowsuit. Do I look for a combo suit from Amazon? Do I wait for my sister-in-law to see what she can find in the stuff from the thrift store she works at? Do I assemble one piecemeal from stuff from Target, which includes a light jacket with the heavy coat, or do we buy all the pieces separately? WHAT SIZE IS SHE ANYWAY? She's 12 months old, but some of her 18m clothes barely fit her (because she's tall for her age just like my whole family) but she's longer in the torso than the legsAAAARRRRGGGHH

Breathe, me. You figured it out eventually.

• Like 1

Challenges

On 11/18/2019 at 8:06 AM, Kyellan said:

I spent an hour yesterday trying to figure out the best solution to getting her a snowsuit

It never even occurred to me that a one-year-old would need a snowsuit. Then again, I live in the south. I only have a snowsuit because of work and being a weenie when it comes to cold.

It is so hard to size kids. I didn't start buying clothes for a kiddo until they were 3, and had slowed down slightly on growing. I can't imagine trying to keep up with 0-1year growth. They go from like a little bitty fuzzy ball to a fully mobile mini Godzilla. And SHOES!! Ack. She's 11 now and buying shoes still sucks.

But yes, you will figure it out.

I'm glad you're feeling better.

• Like 1

Gah, tiny humans are incredible. Stressful, but I imagine in a lot of ways that it's because your heart's full and you're looking to pour it out without spilling.

That's a tough place to be; nevertheless, I do believe in your ability to figure this out and be good. :)

I mean, besides. It's not like you've decided to sub her in for the maces or the bells or anything.

The challenge is nearly over now, and while I didn't get as much of my STATED goals accomplished as I wanted, I did discover a few things:

- Journaling food let me make some adjustments to my regular meal plans, and also found me a few reliable places where I could cut out extra calories that had wormed their way into my food budget

- Time for exercise is still really difficult, even more so now that I've been working from home more often

- Showing up: still difficult, but I didn't disappear again entirely, so a passing grade (if not a good one) on that front

I've continued the downward trend in weight and lost about 5 more pounds--pretty much entirely by adjusting intake based on food journal. If nothing else, I'm happy to take that as a win for this time as I try to drag myself back onto the tracks of a reasonably healthy life. I don't think the 4-times-a-week training is going to be a thing for me again anytime in the near future, but I do have to fit into an already-purchased cosplay costume by PAXEast at the end of February, so I do have a concrete goal in mind.

Another small win: I recently read a short article about the difference between overeating and binge eating. I've been guilty of both in my life, but the difference that this person marked actually resonated with me. Binge eating is accompanied by feelings of shame and being out-of-control. Overeating is just a part of life sometimes, like at holidays--something that you plan for, and that carries no other negative emotions along with it.

Somehow, at Thanksgiving yesterday, that minor distinction stayed firm in my mind. I ate a lot, but never felt guilty or out-of-control--just enjoyed the good food and time with family. It was nice not to feel like the food was running away with me. Maybe that little distinction will continue to help me in the future as I try to sort out my food issues before I inflict them on the child...

• Like 1

Challenges