• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter gets lazzzzer focused! 

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Monday

I woke up at 2 because I was hungry and couldn't fall back asleep again until 5-6 am...

Did you try the obvious step of eating something? :P

9 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I lifted the barbell by my elbow creases. Based on my friends reaction it must've looked really silly. :P Buuuut I actually found it super useful! It was very interesting to lift from the bottom up, and bracing at my very deepest squat. Feel like I learned something. Does anyone know the name for these?

ZERCHER! (I sing it in my head like berzerrrrker, but berzercher). And yeah, they are basically a front squat variation with exxxxtra back. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, @mu said:

Love the flips on pole! Years ago, we worked on those in class with a rope. From the floor, holding the rope to the side.  I don't recall managing those at all, I always landed on my bum :lol:

Cool! :D I feel rope would be way harder as you can't use the bottom arm for pushing.

2 hours ago, raptron said:

Did you try the obvious step of eating something? :P

Hahaha I did! But it didn't help. Well it helped with the hunger, but not the sleeping.

Annoyingly enough the same thing happened today - but at least I fell back asleep. Will try to remember to snack before bed tonight!

2 hours ago, raptron said:

ZERCHER! (I sing it in my head like berzerrrrker, but berzercher). And yeah, they are basically a front squat variation with exxxxtra back. 

Ding ding ding! For me it felt like exxxxxtra coooore if anything! It felt very useful. 

Oh happy days, I got my handstand teacher back, the good tunes back and most importantly I finally had a GOOD handstand day! :lol: The class exercises felt really nice, and when I stayed behind afterwards I managed to get some really solid holds with that magic lock. Not super long, but really nice moments of steadiness. The difference in feeling really is night and day.

One of the first shoulder stability drills we did was a chest to wall hold with one hand on a parallette, which a partner was moving around. I wasn't sure I was doing the exercise correctly because I had so much weight on my floor arm and I couldn't feel the movement of my parallette arm affecting my stability, but it turned out that it was because my shoulder was awesome - my teacher even made an example out of it. :wub: Yay I did something right! 

Even if my sessions will go to shit for the next few days/weeks this was a MUCH needed confidence boost, I was really starting to doubt myself.

Also on my way to handstand class (at 4:30 pm) I was greeted by the most amazing sunset I've seen in a while, I wish the picture could do it justice.

IMG_7587.thumb.jpg.84acccba3c915c09d8b0a36405305147.jpg

• Like 8

On 11/5/2019 at 8:52 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Ahhh that's awesome!! So glad you got a reprieve from the patience-testing handstand days you've been having lately. :D

12 hours ago, Korranation said:

Score one for good hand stand days!

Yes, thanks! :D 

• Like 1

SNOW!!! Whyyy oh whyyy I'm not readyyyy!

Anyhow, yesterday I spent some time in the morning prehabbing my shoulder, then I spent the evening heavily abusing it. :P I had a great time in free running class, it felt super fast paced with many, many repetitions. During the first half we worked on cartwheels/aerials, which I enjoy, and during the second half we worked on side flips, which are creeping towards my "this is stupid" list. I do not get along with the movement at all and everything about them feels awkward. And I got another classic cue - "you need to flyyyy, no not like an airplane, like a butterflyyy!" I don't even. :rolleyes: 

Then we finished up with conditioning, which consisted of 2 rounds of 30s of pull-ups, V-ups, weighted lunges, single leg box hops and wheelbarrow walks. I thought it was fun. :) Though I need to get on that pull-up train because I hate that I have to use a band for only 30s.

When I got home the hype was still sooo high and I played on my pole for a bit - before realising I seriously needed to calm the F down so I could go to bed (and not irritate my shoulder even more). It was hard.

Handstands - Straddle 0/1 Core 0/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 0/1 Tuck/straddle ups 0/2+

Drawing - 0/3

• Like 7

Ahhh, that class sounds great! AND HANDSTAND VICTORY DAY!

I'm so impressed you managed to stop when things were going hot and just go to bed! :P

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

SNOW!!! Whyyy oh whyyy I'm not readyyyy!

Yeah, I don't know, better than the constant b1RATZf.png we're getting here...

10 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Did a quick skim to catch up! 

Me too, and my eye got caught on

23 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

When I got home the hype was still sooo high

except, skimming made my brain do s/the hype/I/ and I had to do a double take :P 

22 hours ago, zenLara said:

Seems you're having a great week :) Enjoy!

Thanks! :lol:

16 hours ago, raptron said:

Ahhh, that class sounds great! AND HANDSTAND VICTORY DAY!

I'm so impressed you managed to stop when things were going hot and just go to bed! :P

It took a lot of willpower. :P And mild consideration for my neighbours considering it was nearing 11 pm haha.

15 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Um... you do know you live in Finland, right? Snow is kinda their thing (That and the hydraulic press channel). 

But, but, I live in Helsinki, not Lapland. :P Also it's quite standard to question your life choices this time of year. ;) 

Haha, learn something new every day!

11 hours ago, KB Girl said:

Did a quick skim to catch up! Love that you're loving the focus :) 

Yeah it's saving so much mental energy to treat handstands as my main thing and everything else as treats. :D 

10 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Yeah, I don't know, better than the constant b1RATZf.png we're getting here...

I guess, but I'm really not ready for 6 months of living in grayscale... I already miss colours!!

• Like 1

Thursday was weeeeird again. I don't like rest days. My body is too tired to train, but I also get really, really restless from not moving. I did do a lot of swooshing around on the floor throughout the day, and I went for a looong walk in the evening as I felt cooped up inside. It helped. The restlessness is mostly annoying because it's incredibly difficult to draw, or even read books...

Friday morning I did handstands. Since I didn't want to push my shoulders too much I focused on kick up consistency, staying for a few seconds and then coming down controlled through a tuck or straddle.

Also my abs are really, really sore.

Handstands - Straddle 0.5/1 Core 0/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 0.5/1 Tuck/straddle ups 1/3+ (Giving myself some half points because of the floor work) 

Drawing - 0/4

• Like 6

Way to train smart! And I love long walks for a rest day, or like gentle yoga flows (though in my life, rest days are kinda a foreign concept....)

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thursday was weeeeird again. I don't like rest days. My body is too tired to train, but I also get really, really restless from not moving. I did do a lot of swooshing around on the floor throughout the day, and I went for a looong walk in the evening as I felt cooped up inside. It helped.

Long walks are greaaat. If you feel like that's not enough in terms of like enrichment though (missing out on reading books), you could listen to an audiobook or podcast or something and feel like you are still being "productive" maybe? :P

6 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Friday morning I did handstands. Since I didn't want to push my shoulders too much I focused on kick up consistency, staying for a few seconds and then coming down controlled through a tuck or straddle.

Ooh, smart approach. 

• Like 1

On 11/5/2019 at 10:43 PM, raptron said:

I lifted the barbell by my elbow creases. Based on my friends reaction it must've looked really silly. :P Buuuut I actually found it super useful! It was very interesting to lift from the bottom up, and bracing at my very deepest squat. Feel like I learned something. Does anyone know the name for these?

I had never heard of these, but I think I am going to try replacing my front squats with these to try them out

On 11/6/2019 at 1:22 AM, Mad Hatter said:

. I wasn't sure I was doing the exercise correctly because I had so much weight on my floor arm and I couldn't feel the movement of my parallette arm affecting my stability

Yeah, that sounds to me like you were all over that drill. And yay do the regular teacher being back :)

On 11/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, Mad Hatter said:

during the second half we worked on side flips, which are creeping towards my "this is stupid" list. I do not get along with the movement at all and everything about them feels awkward.

I am so with you on these.  I cannot get my body to spin that way, even using a trampoline or a foam pit.  I just can't.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:05 AM, Mad Hatter said:

I guess, but I'm really not ready for 6 months of living in grayscale... I already miss colours!!

helsinki_sunset.jpg.15f0830252e7884106b96258aa913a18.jpg

grayscale... :rolleyes: :P  

• Haha 1

On 11/8/2019 at 6:01 PM, Mike Wazowski said:

Way to train smart! And I love long walks for a rest day, or like gentle yoga flows (though in my life, rest days are kinda a foreign concept....)

It happens occasionally. ;) 

On 11/8/2019 at 6:06 PM, raptron said:

Long walks are greaaat. If you feel like that's not enough in terms of like enrichment though (missing out on reading books), you could listen to an audiobook or podcast or something and feel like you are still being "productive" maybe? :P

Ooh, smart approach. 

Heh when I'm in that mood I can't even take in podcasts, my head's too loud! Listening to the sounds in nature helps calm it down though.

On 11/8/2019 at 6:56 PM, Elastigirl said:

I hate it when I'm too restless too read.

Yeah it's such a weird mood!

On 11/9/2019 at 7:39 AM, WhiteGhost said:

I had never heard of these, but I think I am going to try replacing my front squats with these to try them out

Yeah, that sounds to me like you were all over that drill. And yay do the regular teacher being back :)

I am so with you on these.  I cannot get my body to spin that way, even using a trampoline or a foam pit.  I just can't.

Have fun! :D 

I still find it very useful. It really forces me to lockout my shoulder and focus on keeping it locked out. It's also great for building strength - even if I couldn't feel the difficulty of the exercise my shoulders obviously still have to do the work to keep stable. I also like that it highlights the discrepancy between the left and the right shoulder. Definitely not over the drill. :) 

So glad to hear it's not just me!! :lol:

18 hours ago, Tobbe said:

grayscale... :rolleyes: :P  

Point taken. :lol: Though to be fair that was before the snow. :P Which incidentally is all gone now...

Friday (pm) I came to the conclusion that if I really want to learn the drawing thing then I can't sit around and wait for the mood to strike, because it will probably never happen. Not until it becomes a habit, which it obviously won't if I don't draw. So I did a few drawing exercises.

Saturday was great, I finally managed to quieten my head and it was glorious. I went for a long walk in the morning, then I practiced handstands (including a little press work), followed by a bit of experimenting on the pole and then I did the straddle module of myflex (go me!). After that I was wrecked, but caaaalm.

I took some video from the front to check how wonky I was. Pretty wonky indeed, and it's coming from many places, but that's a problem for much, much later. What I found more immediately useful is that my right arm is not locking out properly, and I'm not even sure my left (stronger arm) is. My elbows hyperextend a tad and if my arm were at full lock out I think I'd expect to see that in the video. This was however at the very end of the session and I was quite fatigued, but it's worth keeping in mind. If there's anything I learned from these past two months is that the push is everything.

I added this second video mostly because of the beautiful facial expressions. :lol: What I was tryyying to do is to break down the mechanics of a shouldermount flippy move by doing it statically. This is part of a grand scheme of getting more comfortable with flips and using momentum and going backwards and all that. The last attempt is actually not bad, I just need to get the hips a little higher still to avoid rolling over my arm, and drop my head, but I only have a few shouldermounts per session in me at this point. Honestly I was really surprised to see I have as much control as I do. Well perhaps not on my left. :P 

Afterwards I tried to take a nap, I didn't fall asleep but it was super nice anyway. Then I went for another walk, and in the evening I did some more drawing. Good day. And such a relief to have my head quieten down!

Handstands - Straddle 1.5/1 Core 1/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 1.5/1 Tuck/straddle ups 2/4+

Drawing - 2/6

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

I finally managed to quieten my head and it was glorious

Yay! :angel:

And - loving the vids! I'm so impressed you manage to counter the wobbliness and stay standing on your hands. I'd fall right over as soon as the weight started to shift... Your wobbles look so controlled, almost as if you mean to do it.

23 hours ago, Tobbe said:

And - loving the vids! I'm so impressed you manage to counter the wobbliness and stay standing on your hands. I'd fall right over as soon as the weight started to shift... Your wobbles look so controlled, almost as if you mean to do it.

There is a reason why it's called hand balancing. ;) 

• Haha 1

On 11/10/2019 at 3:31 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I came to the conclusion that if I really want to learn the drawing thing then I can't sit around and wait for the mood to strike, because it will probably never happen

This is a very good insight, and while it seems like it should be obvious, it is something that I need to be reminded of.  Probably frequently :D 

You called your video Handstand Wobble Bus, but they looked pretty darn stable to me.  Compared to your previous videos, you were very solid.  The improvement is pretty clear

Guys I just ate my lunch as second breakfast, PLUS a cinnamon roll, and I'm still hungry. :( To my colleagues endless amusement. :P I don't know what's going on but my stomach has turned into a bottomless pit these past few weeks. I keep waking up in the middle of the night because I'm hungry, and after a few days of eating something I realised that I'm just reinforcing that habit so now I'm just trying to go back to bed hungry and sad. Actually yesterday night I sketched to try to distract myself. (Bonus points!) I don't know how to eat more food, or even if I should, or if it's just a temporary glitch...

Anyhoo, Sunday morning I ended up in that same restless state, and I couldn't really concentrate on anything at home, so I went to open training. Partly to get into a purely training environment and partly to see if I could find someone to chitchat with. It was a good call, and I got in a really good handstand session! I focused a lot on cleaning up my kick ups. I.e. no sinking through the shoulders to save an under balanced handstand, and no flicking my right knee or foot to slow down... Of course that led to other compensations, but that's fine. :P I also played with tiny weight shifts to see what it would feel like to load my right shoulder more, and I got some nice straight -> straddle HS reps in.

In the evening I called my dad because it was father's day here plus his birthday was on Friday (which I missed because my mum didn't tell me) and I doodled on my iPad through the conversation. It was a long, intense discussion for reasons that I can't be bothered to write up and he seemed rather stressed and aware about his own mortality. He's only 55 (or 56)! It's just so difficult to talk with him when he gets so easily defensive and upset about everything I say - it's really draining trying to diffuse a bomb every 2 minutes...

Handstands - Straddle 1.5/1 Core 1/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 1.5/1 Tuck/straddle ups 3/5+

Drawing - 3+/7

• Like 3