Mad Hatter gets lazzzzer focused! 

Mad Hatter

Sounds like you have been having a lot of difficult handstand days, but what I am seeing is a bunch of consistency, even when it isn't going well.   Good on you for pulling through the slog

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

Woot, woot for being excited to do handstands even when you have meh days!!! Maybe you  are just enjoying the movement, and putting less pressure on yourself to be perfect. I find dynamic stretching so much easier to make myself do than static. Hopefully you figure out some ones to incorporate so you can work in your backbend- I'm still jealous of all your bendiness, I can't do a backbend at all

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

On 10/30/2019 at 12:05 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Very well done!

On 10/30/2019 at 3:13 AM, Tobbe said:

Great thing about working out at a place with other people - Those other people can cheer you on.

It's people like you, someone who boosts the mood of those around you, it's those kind of people that makes it great to train in a group. Keep being awesome Thumbs Up

Thanks!

On 10/30/2019 at 4:00 PM, raptron said:

Aww, boo! I hope your regular teacher is back soon!

You sound like you were way more patient than I would have been, lol. 

Next week! :D 

Weeeell, I'll admit that when he said that "it's so easy for me" I got a wee bit snappy. Besides a small amount of natural flexibility nothing comes easy to me when it comes to physical training. But he's one of those really nice puppy-people I changed tact very quickly. :P 

14 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Sounds like you have been having a lot of difficult handstand days, but what I am seeing is a bunch of consistency, even when it isn't going well.   Good on you for pulling through the slog

Thanks!

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Woot, woot for being excited to do handstands even when you have meh days!!! Maybe you  are just enjoying the movement, and putting less pressure on yourself to be perfect. I find dynamic stretching so much easier to make myself do than static. Hopefully you figure out some ones to incorporate so you can work in your backbend- I'm still jealous of all your bendiness, I can't do a backbend at all

Perfect in handstands will never come, so I'm definitely not worrying about that. :P Honestly the meh days are mostly frustrating and not enjoyable. But I think I might finally be learning to enjoy the grind, haha. ;) 

Yeah me too! It might not always be the most effective or deepest stretching, but better than not doing anything. It will be fun to experiment with I think.

Give it time. And patience and consistency right? ;) 

• Like 1

Wednesday

I felt like shit most of the day. I skipped the morning gym and left work early to try to gather some spark of energy before free running class which I really didn't want to miss! It didn't work that well, I measured my HRV for funsies right before I left and the app told me that my capacity for complex thought was at all of 2%. :lol: That's what it felt like too.

Somehow I managed to pull through most of the class without dying, until the last 15-20 minutes where I started to cough like mad. Maybe it was stupid to train, but I had fun until that point. The funniest moment was when I tangled up my hair so badly in my hair tie I had to ask the coaches for scissors. :lol::hopelessness: I need a hair cut haha.

I worked mainly on macacos and back handsprings, mostly because I didn't feel very jumpy. But honestly I don't really know how to structure my practice. We often have a bunch of different stations with very different movements, and changing between them is confusing. For example, last night there were stations for wall flips, wall macacos, back handsprings, spotted back flips, side rolls + misc tricks off of a block.... It's too much for my 2% brain to handle. :P I just want someone to tell me what to drill for 15 minutes and then the next thing! Buuut that's not how these class work, which is a good thing really, but it means I don't know which skills to work on in a given session. On one hand I feel like I'd make more progress drilling basics on a few selected skills, and maybe if I get comfortable with one thing it will boost my confidence overall? Then again maybe it's good to try different types of movements to increase general air awareness at this point, and to make sure I don't avoid less comfortable movements? @raptron do you have any tips or thoughts?

Thursday

Still feeling like garbage, but the cold hasn't won yet! Fighting it with ginger and honey and books.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

I worked mainly on macacos and back handsprings, mostly because I didn't feel very jumpy. But honestly I don't really know how to structure my practice. We often have a bunch of different stations with very different movements, and changing between them is confusing. For example, last night there were stations for wall flips, wall macacos, back handsprings, spotted back flips, side rolls + misc tricks off of a block.... It's too much for my 2% brain to handle. :P I just want someone to tell me what to drill for 15 minutes and then the next thing! Buuut that's not how these class work, which is a good thing really, but it means I don't know which skills to work on in a given session. On one hand I feel like I'd make more progress drilling basics on a few selected skills, and maybe if I get comfortable with one thing it will boost my confidence overall? Then again maybe it's good to try different types of movements to increase general air awareness at this point, and to make sure I don't avoid less comfortable movements? @raptron do you have any tips or thoughts?

When we run classes, we  also normally do stations with a set amount of time at each station. It's mostly to help people get familiar with the different movements and to actively discourage people from spending their whole time bashing their head against the wall trying to work on just one or two movements for way too long. I think drilling a few basics is a good idea for sure, but wouldn't recommend you totally write off doing the other drills! There are so many things to work on, so I totally understand the question of priorities. Picking something you're excited to work on along side the basics could be helpful? Sorry, this response isn't very clear in terms of recommendations.

33 minutes ago, Mad Hatter said:

Thursday

Still feeling like garbage, but the cold hasn't won yet! Fighting it with ginger and honey and books.

Fighting the good fight!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 10/31/2019 at 8:57 PM, GoodDoug said:

Get better quickly!

Thanks! Much better already. :) 

On 11/1/2019 at 12:35 PM, Norgaard said:

I dare you to say presses every day until you believe you will get them one day!!!!

Ok ok, but next year when/if I'll start press work. :P 

On 11/1/2019 at 4:23 PM, raptron said:

When we run classes, we  also normally do stations with a set amount of time at each station. It's mostly to help people get familiar with the different movements and to actively discourage people from spending their whole time bashing their head against the wall trying to work on just one or two movements for way too long. I think drilling a few basics is a good idea for sure, but wouldn't recommend you totally write off doing the other drills! There are so many things to work on, so I totally understand the question of priorities. Picking something you're excited to work on along side the basics could be helpful? Sorry, this response isn't very clear in terms of recommendations.

Not bashing my head against the wall is a good recommendation. :lol: I think what you're saying makes sense. Problem is that it all feels equally exciting but also equally inaccessible right now. :P 

On 11/1/2019 at 8:09 PM, Korranation said:

Following

giphy.gif

H therei! :D 

• Like 1

Friday I still felt rubbish. I went to the office for half a day, mainly to not get bored alone at home. And because my Iranian friend was making halva. Sadly the occasion was the death of her granddad and it's usual to have halva at funerals. It's an odd dichotomy of being excited about a fun treat to try and to help make (and by help make I mean being there as moral support and stirring occasionally) and the reason why she was making it in the first place. For her it was a way of honouring her granddad in a small way, and she shared some memories of her granddad as we were hanging out in the kitchen. Not quite the regular office day!

Oh and while waiting for people to arrive in the morning I did a bit of light shoulder myFlex exercises as prehab.

In the evening I was in a super weird mood and couldn't concentrate on anything, and I was restless and tired at the same time. My brain wasn't working at all, and in the end I played a game of Civ to switch it off. Which was dumb because I didn't finish until very, very late. Or early depending on how you look at it. :P 

Saturday I absolutely regretted that decision, it was so dumb. I need my sleep! The weird mood continued and I tried to journal it off, I tried to walk it off, multiple times, being inside was hard, I tried to dance it off. I tried handstands too but they were nowhere to be seen and I'm beginning to think I dreamt about those one or two good handstand weeks. :P I also played with some cartwheel stuff that all failed and getting comfortable with getting my hips over my head by doing bridges against the wall and pushing off with my legs. I wouldn't call any of this productive though, it was just me messaging around with no plan and no warm ups.

I also scrubbed the floors and the bathroom and did laundry because that seems to be needed whenever I'm coming out of a weird mood.

Handstands - Straddle 0/1 Core 1/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 3/1 Tuck/straddle ups 3/3+ (My handstand today don't warrant an increment)

Drawing - 4/4+ Haven't done any since Tuesday... It'd be such a nice thing to be able to do when I'm tired or sick, but right now the process requires a lot of concentration.

• Like 5

Halva, brown halva in particular is just absolutely delicious :wub: Sorry for your friend's grand pa.

10 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

. I tried handstands too but they were nowhere to be seen and I'm beginning to think I dreamt about those one or two good handstand weeks.

You already know but: all of this has happened before and it will happen gain!

giphy.gif

:D

It actually looks like a good week for HS training, it doesn't always mean a victory, but the important bit is just to hit practice time. Everything will unfold from that. You are hitting it, so you will be fine :)

Drawing - 4/4+ Haven't done any since Tuesday... It'd be such a nice thing to be able to do when I'm tired or sick, but right now the process requires a lot of concentration.

Or some kind of head space? I have never managed to find the head space on a regular basis for drawing. It comes and goes.

• Like 1

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS

13 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Saturday I absolutely regretted that decision, it was so dumb. I need my sleep! The weird mood continued and I tried to journal it off, I tried to walk it off, multiple times, being inside was hard, I tried to dance it off. I tried handstands too but they were nowhere to be seen and I'm beginning to think I dreamt about those one or two good handstand weeks. :P I also played with some cartwheel stuff that all failed and getting comfortable with getting my hips over my head by doing bridges against the wall and pushing off with my legs. I wouldn't call any of this productive though, it was just me messaging around with no plan and no warm ups.

I also scrubbed the floors and the bathroom and did laundry because that seems to be needed whenever I'm coming out of a weird mood.

Handstands - Straddle 0/1 Core 1/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 3/1 Tuck/straddle ups 3/3+ (My handstand today don't warrant an increment)

I'm late, but here to follow your handstand work! Thanks for posting details about what you work on for the folks (like me) who are working their way from the bottom. 

Sorry you're dealing with a weird mood, but good on you for trying different things to shake it :)  Even if it isn't always effective, it beats doing nothing. 

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

16 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

Friday I still felt rubbish. I went to the office for half a day, mainly to not get bored alone at home. And because my Iranian friend was making halva. Sadly the occasion was the death of her granddad and it's usual to have halva at funerals.

5 hours ago, @mu said:

Halva, brown halva in particular is just absolutely delicious :wub: Sorry for your friend's grand pa.

What a positive way to honor her granddad's memory :)  I've never had halva. I've seen it in the store, and I've read about it, but never actually tasted it. And I had no idea there was also a brown version. What's the difference between regular and brown halva?

6 hours ago, @mu said:

It's sooooo good!

6 hours ago, @mu said:

It actually looks like a good week for HS training, it doesn't always mean a victory, but the important bit is just to hit practice time. Everything will unfold from that. You are hitting it, so you will be fine :)

Yep yep. Though three days off, or even one or two tbh, feels like too much of a break for me! It always takes a day or so to get back.

6 hours ago, @mu said:

Or some kind of head space? I have never managed to find the head space on a regular basis for drawing. It comes and goes.

That too. But I'm thinking that if you know what you're doing then there's always something you can doodle on auto pilot?

3 hours ago, cmhutch said:

I'm late, but here to follow your handstand work! Thanks for posting details about what you work on for the folks (like me) who are working their way from the bottom. 

Yay! Everyone starts their way from the bottom. ;) 

3 hours ago, cmhutch said:

Sorry you're dealing with a weird mood, but good on you for trying different things to shake it :)  Even if it isn't always effective, it beats doing nothing. 

And it sure as hell beats avoiding it! :) Learning this the hard way...

37 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

What a positive way to honor her granddad's memory :)  I've never had halva. I've seen it in the store, and I've read about it, but never actually tasted it. And I had no idea there was also a brown version. What's the difference between regular and brown halva?

I'm not sure if there's such a thing as regular halva - but the most famous, Turkish, halva is made from tahini and often includes pistachios for example, and it's absolutely delicious when fresh and made well. In Poland/Russia etc it's made from sunflower seeds, but I feel it's a poor man's substitute. At least I haven't had any good sunflower halva. Brown halva is quite different and is made from browned wheat and butter, flavoured with rose water, cardamom and saffron. I believe it's something that needs to be made fresh and not bought really.

Feeling back to normal! :D Which, as per usual, means silly training. :P 

I did handstands, and while not great, I did begin to get the feeling back. Phew! I suffered a bit from sweaty palms again which somehow made it harder to grip the floor.

I played a bunch on my pole. I tried shouldermounts for funsies to see if I could miraculously do them again without any training, and it turned out that yes I can. Yay! :D Also I call that core training, my abs are already hurting.

I also tried doing flips on the pole. I couldn't bring myself to do a backflip, but I have some ideas for progressions to try out. Front flips went better, though I can't make them look good yet. They sort of go sideways, I'm not extending enough through the hip, and I'm landing kinda funny. But I'm not even sure what they're supposed to look like. I guess whatever goes as long as it looks cool. ;) Either way, here's some work in progress! @WhiteGhost I included the handstand entry in the video, but how's the current YT situation? Should I post it to insta too?

Then I looked at my challenge goals and noticed I haven't done any straddle work and I really, really didn't want to do it, I just wanted food at this point. Then I sucked it up and did it while my food was heating up and actually it was quite "nice" and I'm very happy that I did it. It was a good day too, I got my calves solidly on the floor. It's weird how much flexibility I lost, but how my middle splits stayed kinda ok.

And now I'm going to go climbing! :o Or you know, hang out with friends at the climbing gym.

Handstands - Straddle 1/1 Core 2/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 4/1 Tuck/straddle ups 4/4+

Drawing - 4/4+ 

• Like 8
11 hours ago, Mad Hatter said:

I also tried doing flips on the pole.

Oh my gosh, I had no idea these were a thing and now I have this overwhelming urge to go try them out :D 

should I post it to insta too?

No need, I am able to access Youtube for the time being :) 

I included the handstand entry in the video

Ah, now I see what you meant.  I was trying to keep my pole hand around shoulder height which doesn't lead to very good support.  Now that I have seen how you do it, I will give it another go next time I am at the park.

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Oh my gosh, I had no idea these were a thing and now I have this overwhelming urge to go try them out :D 

Yes, you absolutely should! It's super fun! And there's sooo many variations to learn.

5 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Ah, now I see what you meant.  I was trying to keep my pole hand around shoulder height which doesn't lead to very good support.  Now that I have seen how you do it, I will give it another go next time I am at the park.

Excellent! In the video I'm using my shoulder for a bit of extra support, but once you get used to the movement you can stand a bit more to the side of the pole so that you only use the hand for support.

Climbing was really fun - buuuuuut I did something to my shoulder... Oh climbing why do you hate me so much? :( I was doing a move where I was pulling sideways on my right, while pushing with my left hand and something in the front of my left shoulder went KATHUNKKK. It didn't hurt but it was rather unpleasant. And today my shoulder's still achy. I don't think it's injured, only stiff and inflamed and that it needs some babying for a few days...

On the plus side, my climbing felt good and I was even projecting the same things as my friends. I excepted to have plummeted yet another grade level since I stopped climbing, but it's holding up. :) 

• Like 2

Week 1 summary

I'm glad I started tracking two days early - it makes my stats look better than they are. ;) Then again, I was feeling crummy for a few days so it balances out.

Handstands - Straddle 1/1 Core 2/1 Prehab 1/1 Mix it up 4/1 Tuck/straddle ups 4/4+

I'm very happy with this, though I wish I had more handstand sessions last week. My favourite thing was adding acro bits and bobs after handstand practice, training dessert so to speak. :) 

Drawing - 4/4+

Less happy here. I can do better.

Digital consumption

This was terrible, and I do not understand why, though I have some guesses. But I got it out my system now. 

• Like 4
On 11/3/2019 at 8:03 AM, Mad Hatter said:

Then I looked at my challenge goals and noticed I haven't done any straddle work and I really, really didn't want to do it, I just wanted food at this point. Then I sucked it up and did it while my food was heating up and actually it was quite "nice" and I'm very happy that I did it. It was a good day too, I got my calves solidly on the floor.

Yesss, good work! 

Climbing was really fun - buuuuuut I did something to my shoulder... Oh climbing why do you hate me so much? :( I was doing a move where I was pulling sideways on my right, while pushing with my left hand and something in the front of my left shoulder went KATHUNKKK. It didn't hurt but it was rather unpleasant. And today my shoulder's still achy. I don't think it's injured, only stiff and inflamed and that it needs some babying for a few days...

Dang it! Why are you doing this shoulderrr?

On the plus side, my climbing felt good and I was even projecting the same things as my friends. I excepted to have plummeted yet another grade level since I stopped climbing, but it's holding up. :) 

!! Woo!

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

13 hours ago, raptron said:

Dang it! Why are you doing this shoulderrr?

I mean, it could have something to do with the abuse I put it through in one day. :P But it's ok, it's healing up quickly!

10 hours ago, Mike Wazowski said:

Way to get that straddle work in! And I love the concept of training dessert, haha!

Thanks! Haha, maybe it'll help to treat straddle work as my spinach too. ;) 

Monday

I woke up at 2 because I was hungry and couldn't fall back asleep again until 5-6 am... Somehow I still made it to morning gym, but I took it very easy because of my shoulder with a slooow exploratory warm up. For my handstands I only did some split handstands against the wall, as both the entry and exit have the least dynamic impact I could think of. I can get into them completely statically and I can bail from them without torquing my shoulder by dropping the leg.

Then I did some jumping drills and squats, but it turned out that the shoulder really didn't like any standard barbell squat position. So I ended up putting the safeties about a foot off the floor, and I lifted the barbell by my elbow creases. Based on my friends reaction it must've looked really silly. :P Buuuut I actually found it super useful! It was very interesting to lift from the bottom up, and bracing at my very deepest squat. Feel like I learned something. Does anyone know the name for these?

In the evening I was dead but I still did a few hours of editing of a blog post for the side project.

Handstands - Straddle 0/1 Core 0/1 Prehab 0/1 Mix it up 0/1 Tuck/straddle ups 0/1+

Drawing - 0/0+

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Mad Hatter said:

So I ended up putting the safeties about a foot off the floor, and I lifted the barbell by my elbow creases. Based on my friends reaction it must've looked really silly. :P Buuuut I actually found it super useful! It was very interesting to lift from the bottom up, and bracing at my very deepest squat. Feel like I learned something. Does anyone know the name for these?

I'm not quite visualising it? maybe you could draw it if you don't have a vid?

Yeah for climbing and boo to grumpy shoulder!

Love the flips on pole! Years ago, we worked on those in class with a rope. From the floor, holding the rope to the side.  I don't recall managing those at all, I always landed on my bum :lol:

Challenges #1 | #2 | #3 | #4 | #5 | #6 | #7 | #8 | #9 | #10 | #11 | #12 | #13 | #14 | #15 | #16 | #17 | #18 | #19 | #20 | #21 | #22 (current)

Battle log The Assassin's Path (current)

Woot: first 1mn free HS | first press to HS