Intro + Confused

I found this site, loved a lot of things about it, want to start challenge, but also confused.

Is this where I do intros? And set my quests? Why don't I see many people here? Is it one thread per intro? I would love to interact with many people on a daily basis to keep myself accountable, and enjoy the journey.

In any case: I'm female, mid 40s, 2 teenage girls, doing well at work (really well), but fitness is not great (really, not great). I'm overweight, and can see age catching up, which scares me. I'm great in knowledge, bad at execution; need accountability. Love challenges and goals and data.

My overall goal is to get into shape and be lean reasonable soon (not very SMART, I know)

My 4 week quests are as follows:

1. Diet Goal: No snacking throughout the day. Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner; and 1 snack (12 almonds) with 1 beverage (green tea, black coffee or 1 cup coconut water)

2. Diet Goal: Have a vegetable with lunch and dinner.

3. Fitness Goal: Workout 3 times per week (1 hike, 2 gym visits)

I do (3) most of the time; I do (2) 50% of the time and I snack all the time. My goal is to be consistent.

Please let me know if I am not in the right place or should be doing something different. I really want to make this work.

• Like 4

Hi welcome to NF.

This is indeed the place for first time challenges. @Hazard is your guild leader and he has an ask me anything thread that might be useful to look at.

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/102294-questions-for-guild-leader-hazard-ask-me-anything/

Your challenge looks good. The only advice I’d give you is to post regularly, good or bad, that seems to be the key to success for a lot of folks.

Good luck.

• Like 2

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Hey Zenabby,

I just signed up too. Also female in mid-40's. And I'm looking for a buddy to check in / interact with every day too.  I haven't posted my quests yet. Did you create a character? It's optional, but fun. I'm not sure how or if it links to here. I'm still trying to figure that all out. 

-- CrimsonMoon

• Like 2

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

Welcome! There aren't a huge bunch of people because the challenges only go for 6 weeks (including the preparation or "zero" week) and we've just started a new one. The challenges are a great place to get feedback, support, and accountability. Good luck with your goals! Snacking is hard, I know. 

• Like 2

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

10 hours ago, CrimsonMoon said:

Hey Zenabby,

I just signed up too. Also female in mid-40's. And I'm looking for a buddy to check in / interact with every day too.  I haven't posted my quests yet. Did you create a character? It's optional, but fun. I'm not sure how or if it links to here. I'm still trying to figure that all out. 

-- CrimsonMoon

I would love to have a buddy as well. I did my "avatar" so to speak, but not sure what happened to it. Add your quests, let's keep each other accountable.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, zenabby said:

I would love to have a buddy as well. I did my "avatar" so to speak, but not sure what happened to it. Add your quests, let's keep each other accountable.

Added my quests (and changed my name). My thread is called Starting 2020 Strong.  I'm now ready to go.

Except my house is full of junk food and Halloween is this Thursday.

But other than that, I'm ready to go. Ha!

• Like 1

I signed up a few days ago. GOT TO GET my nutrition in line. So good luck with next five weeks! And then the weeks after!

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Good luck with the challenge. You have some great specific "quests" to challenge you. Let's go!

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

" Halloween is this Thursday. " - had to dodge around the candy yesterday. I should just buy stuff I don't like. :nonchalance:

Spoiler

Hi - in California, so internet/power was out yesterday and could not update. First day went okay, though I stumbled a bit. 

1. I was able to stop snacking and stick to only meal times (though I did have a sugary dessert during dinner. I'm Indian origin, so Diwali sweets). I'm trying to not have processes sweets but I realize even having greek yogurt is a problem since they are flavored.

2. Vegetable w/ lunch and dinner - done

3. Gym - not yesterday, but will be going today.

Today, Day 2 is going well so far with lots of water and good breakfast of 2 eggs.

• Like 5

Day 2: Sigh! I could not stay away from snacks. I was stressed, we had a small fire at home due to power line snapping, and now we have huge repair work, even though very thankful no one was hurt. And some other things in life could be slightly better, but still - these will keep happening and I'm annoyed I could not control myself. I skipped dinner to make up.

I did go to the gym, do heavy weights (I am a newbie and have a trainer) - I did squats with weights, chest press and bench press, plus a lot of core. I want to go to a meditation session today, because keeping my mind in the right place is the hardest. But my family needs me, and so I take back seat today.

Today, just for 1 day, I will not snack, have no sugar and eat clean.

Hey, if you snack all the time, are your main meals big and satisfying enough? Or would it work better for you to have a planned, healthy snack? Sometimes when I can't stop grazing/going back to the kitchen to see what's available, it's because there's a deficit of either calories, carbs, or pleasure in my planned meals.  

1 hour ago, zenabby said:

I did go to the gym, do heavy weights (I am a newbie and have a trainer) - I did squats with weights, chest press and bench press

Yes, lifting for the win! 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 10/29/2019 at 6:14 AM, solidify said:

I should just buy stuff I don't like. :nonchalance:

That's exactly what I do. I just also throw a party / eat baked stuff while I hand it out. 

So sorry about the fire! Glad nobody was hurt!!! 

Yea, life is the #1 enemy of an emotional eater on a diet. Good job on lifting. I've found in the very least it helps one not gain. 

On 10/30/2019 at 2:52 PM, zenabby said:

I skipped dinner to make up.

Skipping meals can encourage weight gain through slowing down your metabolism. (Unless you build it into a schedule as part of a diet.)

Your body says "Ooo damn, seems there is not as much food around, I better start storing some energy in fat reserves."

If you want to reduce calories, try to stick to eating regular meals all the time, but just smaller portion sizes.

https://www.piedmont.org/living-better/what-happens-to-the-body-when-you-skip-meals

You can do it! :)