Hutch stages a gradual comeback

cmhutch

It's been a loooong time since I've been here, but a post in the CNF group sparked a desire to come back. I've been struggling with consistency and motivation, and could that special brand of encouragement and support that I know Nerds do best. :smile-new:

let_me_explain_princess_bride.gif.29d04e567c29dacacc26886d9dc68d32.gif

I'm currently 2/3 of the way through a one year English teaching contract in South Korea. It's been a huge adventure, and I love my students (Kindergarten to second graders), but the long hours and lack of a close social group have taken a bit of a mental toll. Add to that the dropping temperatures and shorter days, and you have a recipe for me spending most of my free time with food and Netflix instead of working out or exploring the countryside. I don't want to waste this opportunity to explore Korea while I'm here--especially all of the gorgeous hiking that's available. And I don't want to go home in worse shape than I got here. On the more practical side, I also need to keep my energy up if I'm going to be any good as a teacher to my kiddos--you need to bring your A-game to hold the attention of a room full of six-year-olds! 

Usually, at this point, I make way too many goals for myself, burn out after a week or two, and end up right back at square one. This time I'm going to try to take it a bit easier, have some fun, and gradually work my way toward bigger things. So here's the plan for this challenge:

Health Goal 1: Get a little sunshine

It's dark by the time I finish work, but the sun is still shining before I go in. I'm going to get a little walk in at least 4/5 weekday mornings, and longer walks (hopefully some hikes) on the weekends. This should do me some good both physically and mentally. 

Health Goal 2: Flip my perspective

I wanted some kind of daily activity that doubled as play, and handstand/inversion practice fits the bill! I'll get in at least 10 minutes of practice a day, ideally as part of my morning routine. 

Health Goal 3: Use the tools at hand

I got a set of weights cheap from a teacher who was moving back home, and right now they're sitting in the corner of my apartment, collecting dust. That won't do. I'm going to start a basic lifting program, 3x a week. I'll start slow and see where 5 weeks can get me.  

Life Goal: Conquer NaNoWriMo

I haven't participated in a few years, and my brain could use a break from thinking about lesson planning and test scores all the time. I give myself full permission to write 50,000 words of terrible nonsense, but I will write those words.

giphy.gif.e7eca00e95692c40d0bd7c953e1461ce.gif

That's all I've got for now. Looking forward to getting started tomorrow, and following the other challenges here! 

xx C.Hutch 

• Like 3

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

Member of CNF: TOS

Welcome back to the fold!

Handstands and workouts and walking AND WRIMO?? I thought you said you were trying to take it easy with these goals! :P

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 10/27/2019 at 10:47 PM, Mad Hatter said:

Did anyone say handstands? :) 

Welcome back! 

What an awesome experience to work in SK, what have been the biggest highlights and surprises so far?

Yay handstands! And thanks for the welcome :) 

Highlights in SK include the landscape (I come from Michigan, a very flat land, making the mountains here extra gorgeous!), the food, and my precocious, hilarious, filter-free students. It's also been a great experience in how welcoming and nice people have been--lots of Koreans have gone out of their way to help me out when I needed it, or offered a smile and a bit of conversation using however much English they knew. 

6 hours ago, raptron said:

Welcome back to the fold!

Handstands and workouts and walking AND WRIMO?? I thought you said you were trying to take it easy with these goals! :P

Thanks! It feels good to be back. :)

When you put it that way, it does sound like a lot... :D  But really, handstands and walking only take a few minutes out of my day, so I only have two bigger goals. We'll see how it works out. 

• Like 2

Optimist: someone who figures that taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster, it's more like a cha-cha.

7 hours ago, cmhutch said:

Highlights in SK include the landscape (I come from Michigan, a very flat land, making the mountains here extra gorgeous!), the food, and my precocious, hilarious, filter-free students. It's also been a great experience in how welcoming and nice people have been--lots of Koreans have gone out of their way to help me out when I needed it, or offered a smile and a bit of conversation using however much English they knew. 

Sounds amazing!

15 hours ago, cmhutch said:

When you put it that way, it does sound like a lot... :D  But really, handstands and walking only take a few minutes out of my day, so I only have two bigger goals. We'll see how it works out. 

True! :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

On 10/30/2019 at 10:47 PM, Manarelle said:

Following for the handstands and scenery. :) Would you have a chance to take/ post pictures of the mountains at all? 

I can definitely post some pictures! It will give me an excuse to get them uploaded on my computer and organized :) 

16 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

Late getting here but following for handstands and Korean adventures.  Nice to have someone else here in a similar timezone :) 

Weird timezone buddies! Where are you based? 

Week One Update

This week has been crazy busy at work, preparing for and throwing a Halloween party for all the students. It was worth the effort, though, and everyone had a blast. I made a Thor costume out of mostly cardboard and duct tape, and throughout the day most of my students found that they were worthy to wield Mjolnir. :D

IMG_20191031_122458.thumb.jpg.89f520ffc7fd5ff684eddb483ca3e033.jpg

Now on to the challenge stuff...

1. Get a little sunshine

My usual walk to work only takes about two minutes, but 4/5 days this week I left early and extended my route to about ten. The extra sunshine and fresh air definitely had a positive effect on my mood, and I'm hoping to get out even earlier this coming week to walk a little longer.

On Saturday I went out to dinner with a coworker and we walked the two miles to the restaurant. Today I made a similar trek to one of the bigger supermarkets in town (not having a car can be a good fitness boost!). No mountains climbed this week, but my walk today did take me through a park with some pretty fall colors on display--and giant leaves. :o

IMG_20191103_131555106_HDR.thumb.jpg.5f3429d03e75c665b69ebbee84fe94c0.jpgIMG_20191103_133725748.thumb.jpg.1b2b3e693da6ea2158bd52cb4a9e8d36.jpg

2. Flip my perspective

I got my handstand practice in every day except Saturday--and learned how poor my core strength and balance have gotten since the last time I attempted this. I'm basically starting back at square one, but at least I'm starting, right? Going to focus on core exercises and wall walks moving forward...and a little extra wrist mobility work because I need it. 

3. Use the tools at hand

I did 2 of my 3 strength workouts, and it felt really good to deadlift again, even if it wasn't much weight.

My struggle with strength training is timing. I haven't been waking up early enough in the mornings because my sleep has been worse than usual lately, and my motivation levels by the time I get home after 10 hours of teaching are pretty near empty. My plan for week 2 is to bite the bullet and get up early, in the hopes that the added exercise will lead to better sleep moving forward. 

4. Conquer NanoWriMo

This is going great so far, since morning writing sessions this weekend have put me ahead on my word count. I'm hoping to keep up the momentum through the week by replacing my usual after-dinner Netflix time with writing. Luckily I work pretty fast, so I only need an hour or so of focus to stay on target. 

Conclusion

I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to this week, but for as busy as I was, and for starting a set of new habits, I feel pretty good about it. Here's to making Week 2 even better! 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, cmhutch said:

Weird timezone buddies! Where are you based?

I'm in Beijing, so one hour behind you

3 hours ago, cmhutch said:

I got my handstand practice in every day except Saturday--and learned how poor my core strength and balance have gotten since the last time I attempted this. I'm basically starting back at square one, but at least I'm starting, right?

Absolutely.  Getting in regular handstand sessions, even terrible ones, are going to do way more than the occasional session

Love all the kids posing with Mjolnir :) 

HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread   Challenge Log   Bodyweight Exercise Library   Shuffle Club 

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

The kids look so great! I love your Mjolnir. :D And dang, big leaves indeed! Awesome job with your week.

• Like 1

Raptron, alot assassin

On 11/3/2019 at 3:19 AM, cmhutch said:

Conclusion

I didn't accomplish everything I wanted to this week, but for as busy as I was, and for starting a set of new habits, I feel pretty good about it. Here's to making Week 2 even better! 

A good challenge takes some time, sound like you're making great strides, though. Love the pictures, and yay for a fun Halloween!

• Like 1

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

On 11/5/2019 at 3:49 AM, Manarelle said:

A good challenge takes some time, sound like you're making great strides, though. Love the pictures, and yay for a fun Halloween!

Some progress is better than none, right? Thanks! 

On 11/5/2019 at 12:41 AM, raptron said:

The kids look so great! I love your Mjolnir. :D And dang, big leaves indeed! Awesome job with your week.

It was so much fun to see all the kids dressed up! Best Halloween I've had in a while. Thanks for the encouragement! 

On 11/3/2019 at 10:24 PM, Chris Tarly said:

Good luck conquering WriMo!

Thanks! We can do it!!

On 11/3/2019 at 9:04 PM, WhiteGhost said:

I'm in Beijing, so one hour behind you

Absolutely.  Getting in regular handstand sessions, even terrible ones, are going to do way more than the occasional session

Love all the kids posing with Mjolnir :) 

Nice!

I've definitely noticed a little improvement, even with my short daily sessions. It's encouraging! 

On 11/3/2019 at 7:06 PM, Mad Hatter said:

YES!

Love the giant leaf, so pretty!

:D

• Like 1

I've been sick half the week, so my check-in is going to be short as well as a bit late. Most of my energy is going towards making it through work (hooray for Korea and the nonexistence of sick days here :ambivalence:).

Week 2 Report

I started to beat myself up about how poorly I did this week, but when I look back, I actually didn't do terrible. Especially with the whole feeling like death thing. Here's the breakdown:

1. Get a little sunshine

My weekday walks didn't get any longer, but I still got them in 4/5 days. Took a longer walk on Saturday, which was a bit more than my body was ready for, but it was pretty and mostly worth it (pictures to come). 

2. Flip my perspective

Four solid days, then my sinuses struck and both going upside down and doing anything that involved too much strain led to a pounding headache. Hoping to maybe get back at it tomorrow. 

3. Use the tools at hand

Two strength workouts--and deadlifts were feeling easier!--and then aforementioned sinuses/illness stopped me. I'm on the mend, so maybe I'll finally get all three in Week Three!

4. Conquer NaNoWriMo

I have kept my word count on target, if only just. Definitely not writing anything beautiful and profound, but I'm having fun and enjoying the creative outlet. :)

Alright, that's all I've got for now. Planning to actually get on here during the week this week and be more active keeping up with y'all. Until then, I will sleep. :sleeping:

• Like 3

4 hours ago, cmhutch said:

I've been sick half the week, so my check-in is going to be short as well as a bit late. Most of my energy is going towards making it through work (hooray for Korea and the nonexistence of sick days here :ambivalence:).

Oof, that's rough. They just expect you to show up, sick? While teaching kids? Seems.... counterproductive. Nice work on the goals; imo, self care takes precedence, so if I've got a good record on healthy days, I count it as a win. Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Manarelle the Level 60 Amazon Assassin

Challenges: 1-1011-2021-3031-4041-50, 51-60, Current

Agh, sorry you're out with a cold. Hope you recover soon and dang, it sure sounds like you still did a lot of work toward your goals. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

On 11/11/2019 at 11:46 PM, Manarelle said:

Oof, that's rough. They just expect you to show up, sick? While teaching kids? Seems.... counterproductive. Nice work on the goals; imo, self care takes precedence, so if I've got a good record on healthy days, I count it as a win. Hope you're feeling better soon. 

Yeah, basically if you're not in the hospital, you're expected to show up. The kids all come in sick, too, so it's a bit of an endless cycle this time of year. :grumpy:

On 11/12/2019 at 12:29 AM, raptron said:

Agh, sorry you're out with a cold. Hope you recover soon and dang, it sure sounds like you still did a lot of work toward your goals. :)

Thanks! Definitely feeling better--hope to get back on the workout wagon today! 

• Like 1