Starting 2020 Strong

Why am here?

Because I am an emotional eater.

And because I am ADHD (which I only found out about a month ago). 

In fact, I'm pretty sure that's how I found out about this site (from an adult ADHD site on emotional eating).

Anyway...last year I lost about 40 pounds with one of those weight loss bet challenges. I went from just over the obese line to just under the healthy weight line and won $1500 right before Christmas. So there was the immediate 5 pound Christmas weight gain. Then another 10 because of something rather emotionally devastating/disappointing. And then more recently, 5 more (when I found out I was ADHD). So that's a full 20. And now Christmas is coming again. I do NOT want to put this weight back on. I was obese for over 3 years. I can't go back there.

So...for this challenge, my main quest is to simply get back to 159. That's about what I was with just the 5 pound Christmas gain. (For my next challenge, I simply want to maintain that over Christmas.) My ultimate goal is at least 149, and my preference would be 134, a weight I did reach in 2012 and maintained for 1.5 years. 

I have Thin Clothes (134ish) and Regular Clothes (155ish) and Fat clothes (162+). I want to start out 2020 in my Regular Clothes. If I live the rest of my life fitting into my Regular Clothes, I will be content. 

I am 41, female, with two littles (3 yrs and 17 mo). My Steampunk/Hogwarts name is Magdalena Ravenclaw. I am currently going to school (just started, so I'm a freshman, only 3 classes in), and trying to launch my own business this coming May. Between homework assignments and trying to keep up on the house, I'm reading ADHD books in an attempt to learn strategies to better adult.  

My 2-3 supporting quests:

Intermediate Fasting (16 hours most days; 12 hours weekend)

Low Carb/Glycemic (meaning, I will eat a potato if I want, but no white bread, pasta, or sugar)

Strength Train 6x a week

No drinking

I know that makes 4, but I'm a rebel, right?

UPDATE for Side Quests:

Finish Book Blog

First Draft of 12-week Bible Study

Finish Living Area House Improvements

• Like 3

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

Welcome and good luck with your goal, and with school :) I have a habit of eating for reasons other than hunger, which I'm trying to address with intuitive/mindful eating. We'll see how it goes, though. Fasting, low carb and strength training six times a week sounds intense. What kind of strength routine do you have? 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

18 hours ago, Harriet said:

Welcome and good luck with your goal, and with school :) I have a habit of eating for reasons other than hunger, which I'm trying to address with intuitive/mindful eating. We'll see how it goes, though. Fasting, low carb and strength training six times a week sounds intense. What kind of strength routine do you have? 

It's not as intense as it sounds. My lifting routine is probably 10-15 minutes, 3 sets of 15 reps per muscle, so upper body is 2 shoulder exercises, bicep curls, tricep dips, and push ups. Lower body is lunge, squats, inner/outer thigh with ankle weights. Hamstrings and calves if I remember. 

The fast isn't really intense either. It just means that if I eat last at 5 pm, I can't have first meal till 9 AM. But I can have coffee as long as it's sugar-free and no more than 100 calories for the creamer. If I last eat at 9 mp, I can't eat till 1. So it's more just trying to cut down eating/snacking in the evening, which is hard for me.  And so far, it's been epic fail, lol. But there's a lot of snack food in the house right now (my mom and grandmom are visiting from out of state so it's "vacation" which has always been license for indulging.)

So really, it's just being slightly active and eating healthy, lol. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Mister B said:

Any fellow Ravenclaw is a friend of mine. :joyous:

I know how hard it can be to stay away from junk food around family on vacation! Instead of trying to avoid it all together, try just having a little less of whatever than you had the night before. 

You've got this, and we're all rooting for you!  

Hello, fellow Ravenclaw! Eat less I did. Much less compared to how much since my mom got here. For tonight's snack, I had low calorie hot cocoa and veggie cream cheese on rice cakes and a couple squares of 90% chocolate. That was a big improvement. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

It's not as intense as it sounds. My lifting routine is probably 10-15 minutes, 3 sets of 15 reps per muscle, so upper body is 2 shoulder exercises, bicep curls, tricep dips, and push ups. Lower body is lunge, squats, inner/outer thigh with ankle weights. Hamstrings and calves if I remember. 

The fast isn't really intense either. It just means that if I eat last at 5 pm, I can't have first meal till 9 AM. But I can have coffee as long as it's sugar-free and no more than 100 calories for the creamer. If I last eat at 9 mp, I can't eat till 1. So it's more just trying to cut down eating/snacking in the evening, which is hard for me.  And so far, it's been epic fail, lol. But there's a lot of snack food in the house right now (my mom and grandmom are visiting from out of state so it's "vacation" which has always been license for indulging.)

So really, it's just being slightly active and eating healthy, lol. 

Ah, okay. I was imagining a 90 minute powerlifting session every day :D  Yeah, I find it hard to stick to routines and dietary habits when relatives come to stay. I try to stay chill and just get back to it when everyone is gone.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Welcome! I was also diagnosed with ADD later in life (I'm almost 31, and was 29 when diagnosed).  From what I have been reading, that actually happens a lot more with girls.  There are some interesting articles I can link you to if you're interested.  Just here to wish you luck in your journey!  I'll be around!!

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

" Intermediate Fasting  " -> glad this works for you. My sister does it and she likes it. Me, I get a headache if I don't eat.

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Ugh. Eating today was even worse. And tomorrow and the next day will be even worse. BUT.....then it's hard core. AND...at least I worked out.

Calves                   2x15   (Bodyweight)

Step Ups               3x15   (Bodywieght)

Leg Extension      3x12  @  50lbs

Outer Thigh Lift   3x25  @  3lbs

Inner Thigh Lift    3x50  @  3lbs

So, meal-wise, eating was pretty good. Low-sugar Protein Shake for Lunch. And Barbecue Chicken with sandwich on 100% whole wheat roll and sugar-free barbecue sauce, plus 50% less sugar Busch's Baked Beans* for dinner. It was the snacking...in-between...far too much. 

(*1 can of Baked Beans and 1 can of regular red or pinto beans; rinse the beans and put them in a container, dump the Busch's on top and stir. Stick in fridge overnight to allow the sauce to permeate the new beans. Tastes EXACTLY the same and you get 1/2 half the sugar per serving, because now when you have a 1/2 cup you are really only eating 1/4 of the Busch's and 1/4 of the regular.) 

• Like 1

I thought I posted here yesterday, but looks like it didn't go through. 

Looks like you're off to a great start. I like the 15 minute workouts - much sustainable. Do you use dumb bells and do it at home?

As for snacking, I have exactly the same problem. I ate well during the day, worked out as per plan, but dang, I snacked in between. I had 2 slices of garlic bread, and some chips. And perhaps some nuts. I skipped dinner to make up for it, but that's not the way it should be.

How about we do one clean day at a time @Magdalena Ravenclaw since we seem to be having the same problem. Just for today, clean eating, no snacking other than pre-planned snacks?

11 hours ago, zenabby said:

How about we do one clean day at a time @Magdalena Ravenclaw since we seem to be having the same problem. Just for today, clean eating, no snacking other than pre-planned snacks?

I only just saw this, sorry!!! Want to do this Friday? My mom leaves first thing Friday morning and I'm hitting the diet hard core. But today was baking with the littles for tomorrow's trick or treat party. Fortunately, we don't go trick or treating, we stay at home and hand out candy (in costume, I'm Ravenclaw, hubby is Gryffindor, 3 year old is hufflepuff, and 17 month old Mr. Trouble is Slytherin!) Point is, after tomorrow, there won't be any more junk or snacks in the house. Yay!

Normally, I wouldn't have even started my diet until next Monday, but 1) the challenge started this week and I already didn't sign up last challenge because of something, and 2) I'm hoping that by at least attempting to diet I won't gain more weight.  However, just starting a diet "for real" on Friday shows that I really am committed, because I would never have done that. I always would have delayed until Monday...but I REALLY, REALLY want to get back to 159 before 2020, and with Christmas coming, I know that I don't have a minute to spare. 

• Like 1

Just some thoughts based upon my experience. Please don't take as a lecture.

What's your WHY?  

You have a goal or two. What’s your underlying WHY for your goal? WHY do you want to achieve that goal? Is your WHY important enough/ heartfelt enough/ scary enough to make real change in your life? Is your WHY enough to REMIND you that gratification in the moment is not worth not accomplishing your goal? Is your WHY in your head when you wake up in the morning and set your day in a positive way. Make the statement: Today I am going to do x/y/z and move that much closer to my goal. Bottom line: for me I have found that the WHY underlying the goal is more important than the goal to keep me on track. The WHY helps keep you on track because progress can be so slow.

What's your WHY?

Why are you snacking so much? When I go into a binge cycle (and I do binge), I’m constantly reaching for food. I’ve realized that I need to stop looking at what I’m eating and look at what’s eating me. What I mean is – when I binge I’m trying to FILL a hole in my life/BURY something in my life – boredom, anger, frustration, lack of excitement about life, fear, loneliness, jealousy, etc.  Usually something I don’t want to confront or deal with.  Also, I just get rid of the stuff I would binge on and not have it in the house. Sometimes that's difficult because other people in the house want it. 

What's your WHY?

Snacking could just be a simple habit that you need to address.

What's your PLAN?

If you know you have a behavior you don’t want, you need to have a plan to head off the behavior when your habit is triggered. Instead of snacking, write about why you need to snack or how your goal is more important, drink water, take a walk, etc. Something that you are replacing the habit with.

• Like 2
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

Hey everyone...don't think I've bailed.

I've been swamped with homework due to my mom's visit, so I went into panic mode all last week. I am finally caught up now, and feeling pretty good. Happily, I did not binge all week, regardless of the stress. I didn't snack. I didn't eat chocolate. However, I completely forgot to workout, and I chose to drank on the weekend to relax my brain from the tough week. Needless to say, I've not lost, but I did maintain, so I guess that is something.

I am feeling much calmer, and should be able to balance more now. I have even planned out a menu that actually includes the weekend, which is where I give in to temptation so often. I also think I will adjust my challenge to allow drinking one weekend night. Life is pretty stressful right now, and I feel so much better and mentally refreshed the next morning. I know that probably sounds weird, but it resets my brain after "brain-frying" it all week with school, lol. 

Today, I took the day off and just read an ADD organizational book and binge-watched hoarders (to motivate me to go on a cleaning spree tomorrow, the house suffered from my 10-day homework catch-up too, hahaha). I can't believe how good it felt to not do school. I've been staying up till 1 and 2 am.

I will work out tomorrow and post my menu. 

• Like 1

On 10/31/2019 at 5:51 AM, solidify said:

Just some thoughts based upon my experience. Please don't take as a lecture.

What's your WHY?  

What’s your underlying WHY for your goal? Is your WHY enough to REMIND you that gratification in the moment is not worth not accomplishing your goal? 

What's your WHY?

Why are you snacking so much? 

What's your PLAN?

Something that you are replacing the habit with.

Hi Solidify!

The Why: I don't want to cringe when I pass the mirror. I want to enjoy being intimate with my husband. I really want to be able to go clothes shopping. And I REALLY want to dress up for stuff and feel good about the way I look. I want to buy a steampunk wardrobe and make it part of my image, but I won't at this weight.

It's not that the WHY isn't enough to remind me to look past instant gratification, it's the ADHD...proper levels of dopamine is what regulates the ability to see past instant gratification and remind one of their goal. When you have ADHD, your brain does not have normal levels of dopamine. Nicotine will fire dopamine, eating will in general, and chocolate and caffeine does in particular. I smoked from age 14 to 31, and then vaped up until 3 years ago. I've been nicotine free completely now for over 2 years. Eating/Snacking and caffeine has replaced nicotine. And, to no surprise, the last 2 years have been my most difficult trying to lose and maintain even my normal adult weight. I only just found out I have ADHD, and I'm trying to learn strategies that allow me to avoid medicine. Not that I am against medicine, I just want to exhaust all other options first (one, I'm afraid of long term effects; two, I am concerned about the expense; and three, I don't like the idea of being depressed one weekend a month when I have to take the doctor-recommended break from meds to ensure your brain doesn't stop making dopamine all together). 

The PLAN: I am reading various ADD books on incorporating strategies into my life. I'm also looking into natural remedies for boosting dopamine levels, and I'm trying to find an exercise I like enough that I will WANT to do it, because exercise also raises dopamine levels. Happily, I have found a sugar-free coffee cream that I am IN LOVE with, which helps, because caffeine is the new nicotine, lol. And since finding the creamer, I let myself have a second cup (by cup I mean a 20 oz in my awesome Harry Potter tumbler) on days that I feel I need the extra boost. Most times I can successfully overcome the snack craving if I give myself an extra coffee. 

Thanks for checking in!

• Like 2

" proper levels of dopamine is what regulates the ability to see past instant gratification and remind one of their goal. When you have ADHD, your brain does not have normal levels of dopamine. "

This is interesting. Never had to deal with this so I googled (of course). Found this which you probably already know:

" but the current opinion in pharmacology is that dopamine instead confers motivational salience;[3][4][5] in other words, dopamine signals the perceived motivational prominence (i.e., the desirability or aversiveness) of an outcome, which in turn propels the organism's behavior toward or away from achieving that outcome.[5][6] "

That gave me an Aha moment in understanding what you are dealing with. That does add a huge obstacle to getting to your goal. Now I'm curious about what the ADD books recommend.

Spoiler

11 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Happily, I did not binge all week, regardless of the stress. I didn't snack. I didn't eat chocolate.

Excellent! 

10 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

It's not that the WHY isn't enough to remind me to look past instant gratification, it's the ADHD...proper levels of dopamine is what regulates the ability to see past instant gratification and remind one of their goal. When you have ADHD, your brain does not have normal levels of dopamine. Nicotine will fire dopamine, eating will in general, and chocolate and caffeine does in particular.

The PLAN: I am reading various ADD books on incorporating strategies into my life. I'm also looking into natural remedies for boosting dopamine levels, and I'm trying to find an exercise I like enough that I will WANT to do it, because exercise also raises dopamine levels.

I've been reading a lot about dopamine recently and it's fascinating. It's why we reach for our devices and check our social media so often, among other things. But the things that give us quick spikes of dopamine are not necessarily the things that keep us calm and happy long term. I've been relying on endless little "rewards" to get through my days. Food, tea, wine, internet, things like that. I'm now trying to establish habits that promote my long term wellbeing instead. It's HARD.

It sounds like you're making progress & that's awesome! 

Do you have a vision board? That may help you remember your long-term goals (or you could be like me & just use post-it notes on the mirror, dresser, etc).

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria