Starting 2020 Strong

14 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

It sounds like you're making progress & that's awesome! 

Do you have a vision board? That may help you remember your long-term goals (or you could be like me & just use post-it notes on the mirror, dresser, etc).

No, I don't. And I think that is an AWESOME ideal. I've thought about it before...like putting up pics of female athletes doing really strong things beside my weight bench. I need to get ink for my printer so I can actually do it. I should print out pics of myself from last year 20 pounds ago and stick them on the fridge. 

Harriet and Solidify,

My biggest issue is definitely just not remembering...or remembering at the end of the day, within an hour of bedtime, when I'm just too wiped out to workout. That's why I think fitnessgurl's idea of the vision board (and even sticky notes) is precisely what I need. I need to set alarms too...to remind me to go workout. 

I'm reading a calisthenics book. It is really interesting to me. I didn't know it had a name...workout out with your body weight, but it's the type I've always admired. I think it will be fun to try. 

• Like 2

Adulting is Hard. Jesus Helps. 

So I ordered a Calisthenics DVD I think I would actually do -- yay! I am even going to make my husband do it with me. It's only 15 min for upper, 15 min for lower, and 15 min for core. I told my husband we can do at least 15 minutes 3x a week. (Hopefully I can get us to do double up on core eventually, but for now, if I can just get us both into the habit/routine, that will be awesome. Plus, if he starts seeing results, I think he'll be motivated to double up). Sadly, it was not Prime, so it won't arrive till 11/22 - 12/02. So I borrowed a different one from the library (it should arrive in a few days), so hopefully I can borrow that one till mine comes in. And hopefully, I don't hate it. Ha!

I don't think so though. Like I said in another post, calisthenics has always be something I was interested in, I just didn't know it had a name. Meaning, when I saw someone really strong (in a commercial or ad) do something very physically challenging using their body strength, I would always think, I wish I could work out like that. I didn't know it it had a name and that one actually practiced it. I just figured they lifted weights which allowed them to be that strong. I hope that makes sense, lol. 

Eating is still really good. I was a church function this morning and so much junkfood (including chocolate) and other fall bakery things. But I brought my rice cakes with pumpkin cream cheese and ate nothing else. Alas, it is Friday. And EVERY. SINGLE. WEEKEND. I mess up all my week's efforts by over indulging in snacks and chocolate and drinking. So this week's plan is to only give myself one night -- tomorrow -- to indulge, instead of Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. Hopefully, I can still to the plan and actually see a result Monday morning. *sigh*

UPDATE: Tonight got changed to the treat night (cuz we are taking the kids to the zoo Sunday). So now it is tomorrow that I need to have the will power not to drink or snack...hopefully it will easier than usual since the whole reason for the switch is getting up super early. 

• Like 2

I am so far behind in my goals, I should probably redo my quest for this challenge. *sigh*

Main Challenge Goal: Want to hit 169 by end of challenge, ON A MONDAY MORNING (12/2). So that probably means 167 on a Friday morning (11/29). I'm roughly 175.

Everything else still stands. I still want to be 159 by the morning of January 6th. 

My 2-3 supporting quests:

Intermediate Fasting (16 hours most days; 12 hours weekend) Replace chips and cream cheese snack with rice cake(s) and cream cheese 

Low Carb/Glycemic (meaning, I will eat a potato if I want, but no white bread, pasta, or sugar) Reduce 3 chocolate bars on weekend to 1 

Strength Train 6x a week  Um, yea. Hopefully, the calisthenic DVD comes in QUICK! 

No drinking  Reduce 2 nights of drinking to 1 night (pineapple vodka in carbonated pineapple-orange water)

UPDATE: I guess I should explain the above...it looks like I'm a cracker-binging chocoholic lush. HAHAHAHA. My husband and I just fell into this weekend habit of getting the kids (3 and 18 months) to be and binge-watching TV while eating crackers and veggie cream cheese, eating dark chocolate (90%), and having a couple drinks.  I think it is because we don't really have a social life, and we don't watch TV much (if at all) during the week, because we are studying, researching, or writing. So we just use the weekends to let loose. It would probably be okay if it was just one night, but it is almost always 2 and sometimes even 3 (crackers and chocolate, but minus the drinking on Sunday/work night). So...I'm trying to cut it back to 1 treat night. So far, have not been very successful. Here's hoping for this weekend!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

I am so far behind in my goals, I should probably redo my quest for this challenge. *sigh*

Do whatever motivates you most. If your reaction to redoing the quest is *sigh*, maybe a new plan is warranted. If you're excited by calisthenics, the assassin's guild might be the right place for you. They've got some cool acrobats who are a nice example of what's possible with dedication and time. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 11/16/2019 at 7:29 AM, Harriet said:

Do whatever motivates you most. If your reaction to redoing the quest is *sigh*, maybe a new plan is warranted. If you're excited by calisthenics, the assassin's guild might be the right place for you. They've got some cool acrobats who are a nice example of what's possible with dedication and time. 

I believe you are right. I think my focus needs to be more on fitness than on trying to diet "perfectly."

• Like 1

Okay, so I stuck to the only 1 night of drinking. AND only 1 night of snacking (crackers and cream cheese). Last night, while watching movies with hubby (we are doing a 10-movie chronological Star Wars marathon leading up to the release of Episode IX), I did NOT eat chocolate (which means I successfuly did not buy chocolate). Nor did I snack. I ate 2 rice cakes and had a few sugar-free Life-Savors.

Tonight (currently watching SOLO), I did cave in and buy 85% chocolate. But I did NOT drink. And I did not snack beyond rice cakes. And dinner was healthy. That's a really big improvement me for me. Oh, and I even worked out...solely because I bought the chocolate. That was completely unplanned. 

Anyway, like I mentioned to Harriet, I think I need to switch my focus to fitness rather than the perfect diet. I will continue to turn to rice cakes instead of crackers because that is a really yummy alternative; plus I will continue to plan out my meals for the week (I bought and cooked 5 pounds of chicken breast in the crock-pot yesterday to make a week's worth of meals). And I will limit drinking to one weekend night because I think that's the major reason my weight fluctuates right back up again Monday morning. But other than that...I think I will focus more on fitness, and try to make 5-6x a week workouts a habit. I might even try to get a HIIT workout in. And some yoga. 

• Like 4

On 11/13/2019 at 11:43 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

It's not that the WHY isn't enough to remind me to look past instant gratification, it's the ADHD...proper levels of dopamine is what regulates the ability to see past instant gratification and remind one of their goal. When you have ADHD, your brain does not have normal levels of dopamine. Nicotine will fire dopamine, eating will in general, and chocolate and caffeine does in particular. I smoked from age 14 to 31, and then vaped up until 3 years ago. I've been nicotine free completely now for over 2 years. Eating/Snacking and caffeine has replaced nicotine. And, to no surprise, the last 2 years have been my most difficult trying to lose and maintain even my normal adult weight. I only just found out I have ADHD, and I'm trying to learn strategies that allow me to avoid medicine. Not that I am against medicine, I just want to exhaust all other options first (one, I'm afraid of long term effects; two, I am concerned about the expense; and three, I don't like the idea of being depressed one weekend a month when I have to take the doctor-recommended break from meds to ensure your brain doesn't stop making dopamine all together). 

Interesting. Nobody ever considered me an ADHD kid in my life. I was just a slacker who liked to sleep and procrastinate a lot. (And my mom called me a fat boy who just happens to be obsessed with exercising because of my insane sweet tooth. This year my therapist put me on meds, and it was literally a life-changer. I was able to sit still and finish something on the computer without having to change position every 15 seconds, I was able to actually drive long-distance for more than an hour at a time, and food cravings don't seem to bother me as much. The downside is I don't crave exercise either.

On 11/15/2019 at 5:59 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Everything else still stands. I still want to be 159 by the morning of January 6th.

If this is an absolute non-negotiable [dopamine] goal, you can totally excrete out like 7-11 lbs. of water in 5 days (the way weight class athletes do). It's called weight cutting. Like with everything, there are some risks involved if you don't know what you're doing.

On 11/18/2019 at 12:23 AM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Tonight (currently watching SOLO)

What did you think of it?

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Machete said:

What did you think of [Solo]?

Hahaha, it is not my/our first time watching it. My hubby writes one of the premier Star Wars chronologies (The Star Wars Chronological Companion) that is even mentioned by Star Wars author Pablo Hidalgo in one of his books. His personal Star Wars library is nearly 1000 books strong. Point is, he is NOT one of those anti-Disney, Disney ruined the Franchise type. If it is a Star Wars movie, he is in love. 

As for me, it's okay. I'm more of a Harry Potter fan (surprise, surprise). And after that, LOTR. 

In my opinion, the best made film / plot is Rogue One (which we are watching tonight, immediately followed by A New Hope).  But my favorite movie (so far) is Episode VIII. But I'm a Raylo (I know, pathetic), so I'm not sure if I will love or hate Episode IX. Hahahaha!

What about you? Did you like Solo?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So . . . once again, I haven't been on for awhile . . . BUT

I've lost weight!!!!

I donate plasma 2x a week to help with groceries. How much you have to donate depends on your weight. 825 ML is 149-174.9. 880 is 175+. 

Every Monday for over a month, I have had to donate 880 (due to weekend eating).

Every Wednesday (after being good for two days), I only have to donate 825. 

This week, I donated 825 both Monday and Wednesday. That means I was under 175 on a Monday night for the first time in over a month! And they weigh you in shoes. So drinking only the 1 night last weekend really made a difference. ESPECIALLY considering that I ate Burger King for lunch (fired chicken sandwich, a small fry, and 2 honey mustard packets) both Monday and Tuesday. 

Apparently, my body metabolizes a fast food lunch MUCH better than it metabolizes alcohol late at night, two nights in a row. 

But this is good info to have. It makes me VERY motivated to only drink one night again. Which happens to be tonight. Right now. While watching Rogue One and A New Hope (on our 10-movie SW marathon approaching Episode IX). I have full confidence that I will not drink tomorrow night.

In fact, I ended up eating what I wanted for dinner for lunch, so when dinner came around, I didn't even want anything. Also, I forgot(?) to pick up my normal snacking chips (that I eat with veggie cream cheese), so I simply put the veggie cream cheese on rice cakes. So my snack, which is already considerably less than usual and which doubled as my dinner, is all I've eaten tonight (along with my 90%  cocoa chocolate bar). 

Don't get me wrong, the 2 burger king days were NOT planned.  

Monday, I took the boys to the YMCA pool. My 18-month old HATES the water. I mean HATES. As in TRAUMATIZED. Even if he is in a bath with just enough water to cover his feet while standing up. So I filled out the whole YMCA financial aid packet and they approved it and so I held my son (in an infant life jacket) and walked the lazy river for over an hour with him in my arms BARELY tolerating the fact that he was in water. My mother-in-law was with my 3-year old and it was an overall a very nice morning, at the end of which, she offered to take us to lunch. I have the BK app, which means I can feed me and both boys for $4.99 which was too tempting to resist. 

The very next day, my 3 year son underwent a 4-hour autism evaluation. He was seen by a Occupational Therapist, a Speech Therapist, a Physical Therapist, and a Psychologist (I get the results in 2 weeks). He did so well, which for a normal toddler would be amazing, let alone an autistic toddler. He loves Burger King and so I wanted to treat him. So once again, lunch was BK. 

And yet I lost weight.

For the first time in over a month.

Evidently, alcohol slows my metabolism far more than a fattening lunch. I am honestly dumbfounded. I feel like my whole life has been about either deprivation or bingeing. And now, I am thinking, it's okay to eat the occasional (weekly or twice weekly) fast food, if I can keep  my weekend "bingeing/snacking" to one night. This is actually very encouraging, because it means I've found what works for me. For my body. For my lifestyle.

I hope that makes sense. 

I'll be much more motivated to "deprive" myself of a certain something if I KNOW it will yield results.

• Like 2

I wish I could log on to NFR and say I had a really successful week. That I worked out all week long. That I ate well every day.

I wish I could say that my husband and I were fitness enthusiasts.

But we are not.

I’m ADHD.

My husband is Level 1 Autistic.

Our 3-year-old is most likely Level 2 Autistic (results Dec 2nd).

We are parents in our 40’s. After a long day, we are tired. Bones hurt. Muscles hurt. Working out is not something we WANT to do when the kids are finally in bed.

But we want to be there for our kids in their teens. And their 20’s. And their 30’s.

We eat well ONLY when I stick to my meal plan.

I exercise ONLY when I remember (which most times is right before bed / too late).

This week, I convinced my husband to try the calisthenics DVD from the library Tuesday night when it came in. He literally dozed off lying on the floor between exercises while the guy explained the next exercise.

I did most of the exercises and was so sore the next day it hurt to squat / sit on the toilet. HAHAHAHA!

My point is, please don’t give up on me. I know I/we are probably not the typical, hardcore exercise enthusiasts who join NFR. I know our lifestyle (of snacking or turning to food for comfort) is not the norm of those who are here. I’m not trying to make excuses. I just feel like NFR is a very, VERY tiny part of my life right now. I wish I could make it (and my/our fitness goals) a MUCH larger part. But that just isn’t where life has allowed us to be right now.

Hopefully, what I/we can give at this point, is enough. And if I/we can get into a healthy weight range in the hopes to be healthy for our kids, then we have accomplished the most important thing . . . even if we aren’t super buff and trim and thin and the paradigms of fitness.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Evidently, alcohol slows my metabolism far more than a fattening lunch. I am honestly dumbfounded. I feel like my whole life has been about either deprivation or bingeing. And now, I am thinking, it's okay to eat the occasional (weekly or twice weekly) fast food, if I can keep  my weekend "bingeing/snacking" to one night. This is actually very encouraging, because it means I've found what works for me. For my body. For my lifestyle.

I hope that makes sense. 

I'll be much more motivated to "deprive" myself of a certain something if I KNOW it will yield results.

Interesting. It's great that you're experimenting and finding out what works for you, both in terms of motivation and results.

12 hours ago, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

My point is, please don’t give up on me. I know I/we are probably not the typical, hardcore exercise enthusiasts who join NFR. I know our lifestyle (of snacking or turning to food for comfort) is not the norm of those who are here. I’m not trying to make excuses. I just feel like NFR is a very, VERY tiny part of my life right now. I wish I could make it (and my/our fitness goals) a MUCH larger part. But that just isn’t where life has allowed us to be right now.

I don't think the typical nerdfitness denizen is as hardcore and together as you expect. I think what's typical around here is struggling and trying and failing and seeing little successes over time. It's things going well one month and taking a nosedive the next month. It's smashing your fitness goals but struggling with mental health. Or smashing your life goals but dropping the ball on exercise. Some of us have found a sport we love, which makes things a lot easier. Some have been working on their journey for many years so they're a bit further ahead. Lots of us are still struggling with diet, body image, exercise, other life habits, mental health... No one will give up on you. If you keep trying and posting we'll be here to chime in encouragingly :) 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

You're being too hard on yourself. Knock it off.

Never ever compare your progress to someone else's. Only compare yourself to yourself. You've made progress & figured stuff out. That's part of the journey. Keep going. You got this!

image.png

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

On 11/22/2019 at 11:52 PM, Magdalena Ravenclaw said:

Hahaha, it is not my/our first time watching it. My hubby writes one of the premier Star Wars chronologies (The Star Wars Chronological Companion) that is even mentioned by Star Wars author Pablo Hidalgo in one of his books. His personal Star Wars library is nearly 1000 books strong. Point is, he is NOT one of those anti-Disney, Disney ruined the Franchise type. If it is a Star Wars movie, he is in love. 

As for me, it's okay. I'm more of a Harry Potter fan (surprise, surprise). And after that, LOTR. 

In my opinion, the best made film / plot is Rogue One (which we are watching tonight, immediately followed by A New Hope).  But my favorite movie (so far) is Episode VIII. But I'm a Raylo (I know, pathetic), so I'm not sure if I will love or hate Episode IX. Hahahaha!

What about you? Did you like Solo?

350?cb=20180513084001

It was okay. I didn't have high expectations or anything. It did not leave me in tears like Rogue One did. XD