After a year of lurking, ready to start a challenge

Hey all, so my one year anniversary of joining The Rebellion is today. Seems a fitting date then to start my first challenge. Over the past year, I have made some amazing progress, but there have definitely been a number of respawns along the way...

I'd like to use this challenge period to keep my current progress and momentum going this time, rather than sputtering out. Here goes.

Diet

• Log absolutely everything, honestly, into the My Fitness Pal food diary
    • I have trouble not fudging this, I pledge to be honest with myself about the calories I'm taking in
  • Have no more than two alcoholic drinks each night, two nights a week

Fitness

• Do something my FitBit counts as "exercise" every day
    • If anybody is interested in being FitBit friends, and doing things like the Work Week Hustle, etc that would be fantastic. Let me know.

Level Up Your Life

• 5 minutes meditation daily
    • I installed Head Space on my phone, going to try and stick with a five minute routine every day
  • Like 2

I don't use MFP but I hear you about the honesty. That's where I fall off IF I don't keep track. Can fool my head but can't fool the body.

• Like 1
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

I'm also trying to get a daily meditation habit started. I've been reading about the benefits for years, now I just need to DO it. Good luck with your first challenge :) 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Day 1 is in the books. 

Exercise

Stronglifts Workout A

Squat 5 x 5 @ 105lbs

Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 80lbs

Barbell Row 5 x 5 @ 80lbs

Diet

Everything entered accurately into diary. Even the rather large bowl of ice cream. 

Meditation 

Guided 5 minutes 

So far so good. Thanks for following all. 

• Like 2

Good start to the challenge. I keep saying I'm going to meditation but I don't. Maybe next challenge for me.

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

5 hours ago, Mister B said:

Exercise 

Stronglifts Workout B

Squat 5 x 5 @ 110lbs

OHP 5 x 5 @ 60lbs

Deadlift 1 x 5 @ 165lbs

Looking good! 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Going strong! Looking good!

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

Day 4 still on track 

Exercise 

30 minute continuous run. 3.7 miles, 8'22" pace. Working up to my first 10k using the Zombies, Run! integrated training. 

Diet

Everything logged, did well all things considered. I only had 2(!!!) peanut butter cups. Which really was a feat of will on par with any of the 12 Labors of Hercules. I can hear their Siren song still... 

Meditation 

Guided 5 minutes 

• Like 1

Day 5 already 

Exercise 

Stronglifts Workout A 

Squat 5 x 5 @ 115lbs

Bench Press 5 x 5 @ 85lbs

Barbell Row 5 x 5 @ 85lbs 

+additional 

Face Pulls 3 x 11 20lbs 

Diet 

Well, it's a win and a fail. I logged everything honestly in MFP, but ended up having three drinks tonight. 

Meditation 

Guided 5 minutes 

• Like 1

" but ended up having three drinks tonight.  " but you held the line at 2(!!!) peanut butter cups . Peanut butter cups are a nemesis for me.:P  You're having a pretty strong week.

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I'm amazed that you are getting so much protein on so few calories! Are you on a keto diet? Supplementing with protein powder? Just curious.

Looks like you are off to a great start! Keep it up!

Protein powder, low fat cottage cheese, Fagé 0% Greek yogurt, trident frozen salmon patties, and lots of boneless skinless chicken breast. Not specifically doing keto, but I generally try to avoid breads and processed grains mostly as an easy way to cut calories. 

• Like 2

Day 6

Exercise 

3.1 mile run. A year ago today I couldn't have run one mile. I couldn't have run for 5 minutes. I got winded going up a flight of stairs. Today I ran 5 kilometers and was disappointed that my pace was slower than 9 minute miles. I was just a lurker on the forums during that time, but it's really because of you guys here that I was able to get where I am. So thank you. 

Diet 

Well, it was tacos at Casa de B tonight. Tried to log everything, but I lost count of how many tortilla chips I actually ate. Pretty sure I overestimated in the log. Also, only had two margaritas. And only two more peanut butter cups, but this is less impressive than the other night, seeing as there were only two left... 

Meditation 

Guided 5 minutes 

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Mister B said:

Today I ran 5 kilometers ... it's really because of you guys here that I was able to get where I am.

Happy the forum provided you some support and encouragement, but it's because of YOU that you were able to do these things. Congratulations on sticking with it.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

21 hours ago, Mister B said:

Day 6

Exercise 

3.1 mile run. A year ago today I couldn't have run one mile. I couldn't have run for 5 minutes. I got winded going up a flight of stairs. Today I ran 5 kilometers and was disappointed that my pace was slower than 9 minute miles. I was just a lurker on the forums during that time, but it's really because of you guys here that I was able to get where I am. So thank you. 

Diet 

Well, it was tacos at Casa de B tonight. Tried to log everything, but I lost count of how many tortilla chips I actually ate. Pretty sure I overestimated in the log. Also, only had two margaritas. And only two more peanut butter cups, but this is less impressive than the other night, seeing as there were only two left... 

Meditation 

Guided 5 minutes 

Slow is still go. And 9 mpm is still better than I can do! Congrats. You got there with your work!

Spoiler

44 minutes ago, Xena said:

Happy the forum provided you some support and encouragement, but it's because of YOU that you were able to do these things. Congratulations on sticking with it.

Well, honestly I meant more than just the forums, but the entire Nerd Fitness experience. The forums, sure, but also the great blog articles by Steve and Staci, just all of it. 

I absolutely get what you're saying, and thank you for that. I've had a lot of help though, that's what I'm getting at. 

42 minutes ago, solidify said:

Slow is still go. And 9 mpm is still better than I can do! Congrats. You got there with your work!

Thanks! I wasn't trying to say that a 9m pace is embarrassing by any means, just trying to illustrate how expectations change. A year ago being able to run a single mile seemed like an outrageous goal, now I'm concerned about my pace in a 5k, and training to run a 10k. 

To people reading this that are just starting on your fitness journey, you might just surprise yourself on your progress. 

I'm reminded of my favorite Henry Ford quote, "Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right." 

• Like 1

Day 7

Exercise 

3.5 mile run. So, if anybody tells you that carne asada tacos and margaritas are not a great idea the night before a run, listen well to this person. They are wise, and they are your friend. 

Diet 

Oof. A good friend of mine wanted to go to a local sports bar to watch football. I have tried to dutifully enter all of the debauchery in my food diary. 4,000 odd calories. Yikes. 

Meditation 

Finished the Headspace beginner course, tried 5 minutes of self guided. Not sure I'm getting it. May try rerunning Headspace beginner course. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/3/2019 at 4:11 AM, Mister B said:

This is an awesome transformation. Congrats!

• Like 1

So, yeah. Early last week was a complete and utter face plant.

And therefore, I am going to invoke that +1UP token. Respawn time.

Friday I finally got my act together again, mostly. Exercise and nutrition goals met for all three days, but meditation hasn't happened at all, I will try and restart that tomorrow. So for the exercise portion since Friday we have:

Friday

Stronglifts Workout B

Squats 5 x 5 120lbs

OHP 5 x 5 55lbs

Deadlift 1 x 5 175lbs

Saturday

Ran the Indianapolis Monumental 5k in 25:02 (8'3" pace), which was a PR for an official timed event. w00t? w00t indeed.

Sunday

Did a 40 minute run at a comfortable pace. Around 4.5 miles.

Have dutifully logged everything into the calorie diary for all three days. Friday was over budget, but that was by design, carboloading for the race. Saturday came in under budget, and today was on budget.

• Like 1