• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Elastigirl

Baby JackJack-little but POWERFUL/An Elastigirl challenge

Spent 30 minutes decluttering and arranging my linen closet. It looks much tidier now. I think part of the reason I was procrastinating, besides just feeling like I'm tired of the whole declutter thing, is that I have some tablecloths that I am holding on to for purely sentimental reasons. They take up too much room, and it would make logical sense to get rid of them. Particularly this large crochet tablecloth. I never use it. And I don't even know who made it (as far as I know my grandma didn't crochet) but I feel like it must have taken someone a long time to make, and just because I don't know the story doesn't mean I should Goodwill it. But I did fill one large bag full of give away, and when I folded stuff, I made more room. Truthfully it is still to crowded, but it makes me happy to have several holiday and seasonal tablecloths, so I am keeping it. And now I can easily see where things are, so that is good.

• Like 11

7 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Spent 30 minutes decluttering and arranging my linen closet. It looks much tidier now. 

Yay! Good for you. Getting any kind of closet organized always feels like a challenge for me. 

What do you think of the Mari Kondo method? I have heard a little about it, as I follow other minimalists like Matt D'Avella and The Minimalists, and they have commented on her show, but I have never looked into the show or her method.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Yay! Good for you. Getting any kind of closet organized always feels like a challenge for me. 

What do you think of the Mari Kondo method? I have heard a little about it, as I follow other minimalists like Matt D'Avella and The Minimalists, and they have commented on her show, but I have never looked into the show or her method.

I really like it.  One of her good suggestions is to put things in small boxes to help organize. I bought a bunch of clear plastic shoe box sized container. For the linen closet I stored fancy napkins in one, holiday in another, and spring in another. I like her process of deciding what to keep or give based on what brings you joy. I find this more helpful than minimalism. I don't want to be a minimalist, I do believe that it's nice to have things to bring you joy, the problem comes when I have too much stuff I can't find it , so it doesn't bring me any joy

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 5:34 PM, Elastigirl said:

Yes, Mr Incredible really needs to stop skipping Leg Day .:)That is the Mr Incredible in the movie, not mine. My Mr Incredible has nice legs.

:D As long as you are happy ;)

On 11/1/2019 at 9:23 PM, Elastigirl said:

Vitamin is good for our challenge this week, as each day seems a bit out of my comfort zone. Today's was forward rolls. I can do those now without too much fear, but the you try it with a variation like a kick, or from a high squat, and it is kind of scary. I wasn't able to do all the variations, but I pushed myself to try the

Hat's off to you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying! :loyal:

I am looking on one shelf in our back room and trying to ignore the shoe boxes full of photos that m.i.l. gave me. But they at least make me think of you every time.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, Elastigirl said:

No, I didn't. That's super cool. I checked IMBD and  it says they were going to do Lily Tomlin, but Brad did the test track, and everyone liked it so much, they kept him.

From an interview on The Incredibles DVD, it sounds as if they tried several actresses but none could do the voice just the way he wanted. He demonstrated the voice for them but they couldn't imitate it. Turned out to be a win for Pixar because she's one of the best characters.

On 11/1/2019 at 9:50 PM, Elastigirl said:

He's obviously super talented. 

He also directed The Iron Giant and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. He's definitely up there.

That's me out of Brad Bird trivia.

Another of JackJack's powers---he chooses his role models wisely:

wMS9v70.gif

• Like 2

On 11/2/2019 at 2:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

One of her good suggestions is to put things in small boxes to help organize. I bought a bunch of clear plastic shoe box sized container.

Yeah, except now I feel like the house is cluttered with tons of little boxes.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Yeah, except now I feel like the house is cluttered with tons of little boxes.

True, for a while I had lots of extra boxes, now I've used them all. Not sure whether this is bad or goodB)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Week 1:

Adaptable:

I did all 6 of GMB Vitamin days

made a video one day

2 days did the stretching routine

did my crow practice

Laser eyes

wrote out goals for the week

accomplished goals

Spent 30 minutes cleaning out linen closet- done

To do list:

nothing off of that

This week's goals

prepare meal for family in church

set up a time to Christmas budget with hubby

remind hubby to make Christmas list

contact sister about Thanksgiving plans

vote

Mari Kondo 30 minutes

coat closet and  if time my nightstand

• Like 5

On 11/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

One of her good suggestions is to put things in small boxes to help organize.

This is the most helpful advice that a clutter monster like me has ever been given.  It also helps that they sell a wide variety at the dollar store.  I loved her show and it helped me pare down a lot of stuff that I was keeping for no reason, but I'm like you.  I'm not as concerned with being a minimalist as much as I am with having things that spark joy.

Nice job accomplishing all your goals!!!

• Like 3

On 11/1/2019 at 10:32 PM, Elastigirl said:

Spent 30 minutes decluttering and arranging my linen closet. It looks much tidier now. I think part of the reason I was procrastinating, besides just feeling like I'm tired of the whole declutter thing, is that I have some tablecloths that I am holding on to for purely sentimental reasons. They take up too much room, and it would make logical sense to get rid of them. Particularly this large crochet tablecloth. I never use it. And I don't even know who made it (as far as I know my grandma didn't crochet) but I feel like it must have taken someone a long time to make, and just because I don't know the story doesn't mean I should Goodwill it. But I did fill one large bag full of give away, and when I folded stuff, I made more room. Truthfully it is still to crowded, but it makes me happy to have several holiday and seasonal tablecloths, so I am keeping it. And now I can easily see where things are, so that is good. 

Hi! The Incredibles, especially the second movie are big in our house. We were so close to doing a house theme costume with our roommate as Edna and the cat as the racoon. So close. Also our roomie swears our kid is JackJack. Oh dear.

About the tablecloths - so I went though a major purging of stuff about 5 years ago. Ended up departing probably half of what I owned. There was some stuff that had been important to be when I acquired it that I was still wanting to honor. My film camera and my clarinet went on freecycle to (1) a kid taking photo class and (2) an after school program. The kid's dad picked up the camera and the kid called me later to say thank you. I also gave a couple things to a close friend who I knew would really enjoy them - a leather jacket and some artwork. If you know of a place where the tablecloth will fall into appreciating hands, maybe taking a picture of it and passing it on in this way will work for you. The other thing is, you don't HAVE to declutter it just because you're decluttering in general. If you're not gasping for space, there's nothing wrong with mementos.

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Yasha92 said:

#winning!

Thanks!

8 hours ago, Novaurora said:

This is the most helpful advice that a clutter monster like me has ever been given.  It also helps that they sell a wide variety at the dollar store.  I loved her show and it helped me pare down a lot of stuff that I was keeping for no reason, but I'm like you.  I'm not as concerned with being a minimalist as much as I am with having things that spark joy.

Nice job accomplishing all your goals!!!

Oooh, I didn't look at the dollar store. I bought boxes at Amazon, but the Dollar store my have cheaper and more choices.

3 hours ago, DaemonCorax said:

Hi! The Incredibles, especially the second movie are big in our house. We were so close to doing a house theme costume with our roommate as Edna and the cat as the racoon. So close. Also our roomie swears our kid is JackJack. Oh dear.

About the tablecloths - so I went though a major purging of stuff about 5 years ago. Ended up departing probably half of what I owned. There was some stuff that had been important to be when I acquired it that I was still wanting to honor. My film camera and my clarinet went on freecycle to (1) a kid taking photo class and (2) an after school program. The kid's dad picked up the camera and the kid called me later to say thank you. I also gave a couple things to a close friend who I knew would really enjoy them - a leather jacket and some artwork. If you know of a place where the tablecloth will fall into appreciating hands, maybe taking a picture of it and passing it on in this way will work for you. The other thing is, you don't HAVE to declutter it just because you're decluttering in general. If you're not gasping for space, there's nothing wrong with mementos.

Next year your whole house needs to be Incredible themed. The cat as the racoon would be the best!

The tablecloth is rather dated, so no one really wants it. I made space, so I decided to just keep it.

Voted yesterday, so that was off my to-do list. Also ordered pumpkin spice tea as my prize for last week's Mari Kondo. Did my Vitamin workout yesterday and today. Today I also did the general stretching routine. Tonight we are going to see the move Harriet (about Harriet Tubman) and I am super excited.

Today's Vitamin training

• Like 8

On 11/5/2019 at 9:59 PM, ElizeElvinFoxRyder said:

Enjoy the pumpkin spiced tea.

I thought it was Amazon Prime, but apparently it wasn't and it isn't supposed to get here until next week

grumpy-cat-face.jpg

2 hours ago, Terra said:

How was the movie???  

It was really good. Harriet Tubman has always been a heroine for me, so I really enjoyed it. 

• Like 2

Life has been going alone. Enjoying the Vitamin workouts. We are having unseasonably sunny weather, so I have been taking walks and enjoying the sun while I can. Today's plan is to do some decluttering Then in the evening hubby and I are discussing Christmas budgets, so that will be one more thing off the list

Ponderings:

Trying to decide whether to try and do some other short program with Vitamin. It takes about 20 mins so there could be time. However, some times I want it to take longer.

Good old pro/ con list

pro:

I'm concerned Vitamin doesn't have enough muscle stuff

it is easier to just have something already picked out to do _ as opposed to deciding at the time

muscles

keep practice with pull ups (could also do GTG style, if I don't forget)

Con

once I pick something to do , I tend to feel guilty if I don't do- so my method of choose it and then decide at the end of the VItamin session whether to do it or not, if I don't do it, I sometimes tell myself I failed ( silly, but I do)

might make me feel rushed with Vitamin

I can just do weighted walking or rowing instead of lifting

I can just do a random thing after Vitamin for lifting if I have the energy- might be fun to say this sounds fun today to do 

After doing my pro/ con list I am leaning toward having no set program to go with Vitamin, just doing something if I want

• Like 8

On 10/28/2019 at 8:52 PM, Elastigirl said:

This challenge I am doing a program with GMB called Move Better Month. It is their Vitamin program, done live with others, so you can chat with trainers and other GMB people who are doing the same program at the same time. This is going to be my main focus.  Each day you work on a new skill, and also some of the time work on the stretching routine

this is awesome! sounds like you're enjoying it too? 

for something to add.. maybe make a list of things you'd like to work on/test out and then allow yourself to pick something from the list or to do spend extra time on vitamins? 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, KB Girl said:

this is awesome! sounds like you're enjoying it too? 

for something to add.. maybe make a list of things you'd like to work on/test out and then allow yourself to pick something from the list or to do spend extra time on vitamins? 

Great idea, a list would give me some ready ideas to pick from but not as demanding as a program. And on my list have a few easy things so if I'm tired I could just do something non taxing.

• Like 5

Thanks for the recommendation on "Harriet". I just read about it and am intrigued.

What is the move called that you are working on in the video? I didn't try it, but it looked like one of those things that would be harder than it looks (which doesn't exactly make sense but...)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Thanks for the recommendation on "Harriet". I just read about it and am intrigued.

What is the move called that you are working on in the video? I didn't try it, but it looked like one of those things that would be harder than it looks (which doesn't exactly make sense but...)

You are welcome. Kind of neat to go see movies that are base on real life heroes.

The frogger

• Like 1

Good weekend. Had dance on SUnday. Family visiting over the weekend, so kind of busy. I made gf/df brownies that were very good.

Week 2 :

Baby Jack Jack is adaptable

Vitamin done three days yes

stretching routine 2 days a week yes

floating crow practice yes

Baby Jack Jack  has laser eyes

plan for week yes

list

prepare meal for family in church

set up a time to Christmas budget with hubby

remind hubby to make Christmas list

contact sister about Thanksgiving plans- yes I asked her to call me, she has not so this is still on the to do list

vote

I did about 10 minutes of Mari Kondo and finished cleaning out our coat closet. 

So the week went well. Today I have been super draggy and unmotivated. I did do my workout stuff, go for a walk, made some bone broth, and dinner. Also spent about 20 minutes cleaning out my bedside table, which earns me  another prize. 

This week to do

contact sister

make Christmas list

Hotel reservations for trip

have hubby make Christmas list

buy him slippers for Christmas

• Like 4

On 11/2/2019 at 5:22 PM, Elastigirl said:

I really like it.  One of her good suggestions is to put things in small boxes to help organize. I bought a bunch of clear plastic shoe box sized container. For the linen closet I stored fancy napkins in one, holiday in another, and spring in another. I like her process of deciding what to keep or give based on what brings you joy. I find this more helpful than minimalism. I don't want to be a minimalist, I do believe that it's nice to have things to bring you joy, the problem comes when I have too much stuff I can't find it , so it doesn't bring me any joy

Sorry, late to finally reply. That sounds interesting. I feel like I could easily get carried away with something like that. I like to organize my stuff, and I compulsively clean and organized when I hit a certain critical level of stress, lol. I tend to gravitate more towards minimalism (probably from growing up in a crowded house), but the style of minimalism that believes in having things as longs as they add meaning and value to your life. So, a version of minimalism that probably has a lot of crossover with her method.

• Like 2