Scalyfreak regroups and changes her strategy

Scaly Freak

4 hours ago, h3r0 said:

That's why I like to read. 

I love reading too. My idea of paradise is a huge library where I can play whatever music I want, and there are cats and good food. :) 

• Like 3

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

16 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Before those thoughts started, I completed multiple short stories and poems. Some of them are good, some of them are pretty horrid. Most of them are somewhere in between.

I guess that's the most important point. When we let the thoughts decide, we don't make the things. Making things is good, even if not every thing that is made is good. 

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

And a person at work just asked me whether Germany is a part of the UK. :blink:

Yes! Yes, it is. It used not to be. But in the 70s it was miniaturised and scooped out of the Pacific Ocean (it used to be an island) in order that it might be transplanted into Wales. Fun fact: every time you see Angela Merkel on television talking to other politicians, it is actually a projection scaled to full size. She was miniaturised, of course, along with everyone else. The dachshunds are really small! 

• Haha 3

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

I guess that's the most important point. When we let the thoughts decide, we don't make the things. Making things is good, even if not every thing that is made is good. 

Yes, it is. The process of creating something is a worthy goal in itself, and can bring joy and satisfaction even if the result isn't what we wanted and strove for.

When I wrote poems, it was for the pleasure of expressing something. I'm not there with my NaNo project yet, but I'm slowly working my way back to that place with my writing, and it feels great.

• Like 3

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

14 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Yes, it is. The process of creating something is a worthy goal in itself, and can bring joy and satisfaction even if the result isn't what we wanted and strove for.

When I wrote poems, it was for the pleasure of expressing something. I'm not there with my NaNo project yet, but I'm slowly working my way back to that place with my writing, and it feels great.

Awesome. I will try to do the same.

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

Physical Stress Management: Probiotic food is a new staple food in my life. It is here to stay. Thanks to eating little living bacteria who thrive in fermented food 5-6 times per week, my stomach has made a full recovery from the damage it took from all of Stress Hydra's attacks. My local co-op store has coconut milk yogurt that becomes quite affordable when it is on sale, so I am going pt keep an eye on this development. Also actively looking for kvass in local health food stores, so I can find out if I like it or not, and what it's supposed to taste like, before I try to make some on my own. The first part of this quest, to help my stomach heal and recover, can be marked as complete.

Now part 2 begins: Maintain good stomach health by making smart food and drink choices. I know what Stress Hydra attacks with: Copious amounts of coffee, for one. Heavy and greasy food, pure sugar (like candy), and alcohol. So part two is to make smart food choices with my stomach lining's best interests in mind.

I am also starting an experiment to see if decreasing my dairy consumption will make my stomach lining stronger and more resilient. I am not going to eliminate dairy, because that's not something I can keep doing for the rest of my life. However, I'm going to eliminate all dairy except certain cheese, and pay attention to what that does.

Mental Stress Management: I'm on a 20-day streak with Insight Timer, which is great, because this means that I am not only remembering to meditate over weekends, I am actually taking the time to do it. Weekends are fun and not stressful, so it's easy to shrug off meditation as something to do later. This has been a thing for me since I stared meditating back in Chapter 2 or so, so making progress on weekend meditation is long overdue.

I have also started to actually read the newsletter that Insight Timer sends to paying subscribers, and it is genuinely helpful and filled with good content. Currently I'm re-reading and contemplating a sorely needed reminder on how to be gentle with yourself. I highly recommend anyone who has ever had a really bad day, mental health wise, and who looked back at that day and thought some version of, "why did I do that to myself?" to read this article.

Increase Happiness Factor: Recently, Husband and I have had long and in-depth conversations about possibly making a big change in our life together. (No, we're not having a kid.) Making this change would dramatically level up the Mental Happiness stat for both of us, though it would be a painful grind to get there. Unfortunately, large life changes are some of the most potent fuel available for stoking the Flame of Anxiety.

Strategies for dousing the flame and keeping it contained include, but are not limited to:

• Talk it out. With Husband, and with Therapist
  • Mediate every day. Start with this guided session and go from there.
  • Eat gentle foods. (See Physical Stress Relief quest above!) Because the Flame of Anxiety causes heartburn otherwise.
  • Crack down on sleeping habits, again. More to come on this later.
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

Physical Stress Management: Probiotic food is a new staple food in my life. It is here to stay. Thanks to eating little living bacteria who thrive in fermented food 5-6 times per week, my stomach has made a full recovery from the damage it took from all of Stress Hydra's attacks. My local co-op store has coconut milk yogurt that becomes quite affordable when it is on sale, so I am going pt keep an eye on this development. Also actively looking for kvass in local health food stores, so I can find out if I like it or not, and what it's supposed to taste like, before I try to make some on my own. The first part of this quest, to help my stomach heal and recover, can be marked as complete.

Now part 2 begins: Maintain good stomach health by making smart food and drink choices. I know what Stress Hydra attacks with: Copious amounts of coffee, for one. Heavy and greasy food, pure sugar (like candy), and alcohol. So part two is to make smart food choices with my stomach lining's best interests in mind.

I am also starting an experiment to see if decreasing my dairy consumption will make my stomach lining stronger and more resilient. I am not going to eliminate dairy, because that's not something I can keep doing for the rest of my life. However, I'm going to eliminate all dairy except certain cheese, and pay attention to what that does.

Oof. This. Yes. I just got a package with probiotic supplements I ordered.

Stress --> Bad/lazy food choices --> upset stomach --> more stress --> bad sleep --> ALL THE COFFEE! --> Can't sleep --> alchohol --> Even more stress, even worse stomach :(

Or something like that.

• Like 2

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

27 minutes ago, Chris Tarly said:

Stress --> Bad/lazy food choices --> upset stomach --> more stress --> bad sleep --> ALL THE COFFEE! --> Can't sleep --> alcohol --> Even more stress, even worse stomach :(

This was my September.

The lack of food in this downward spiral is not a coincidence. There is none. There is only desperate scarfing of whatever is quick to obtain and devour, before moving on to the next dumpster fire that needs attention,which of course makes the stress worse. And the spiral turns further downwards...

Do you have a link to the supplements you ordered? I would prefer to manage my stomach recovery by snacking on kombucha and non-dairy yogurt, but I'm about to go on an international business trip, and supplements is the perfect solution the challenge of having access to probiotics while travelling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scalyfreak said:

Do you have a link to the supplements you ordered? I would prefer to manage my stomach recovery by snacking on kombucha and non-dairy yogurt, but I'm about to go on an international business trip, and supplements is the perfect solution the challenge of having access to probiotics while travelling.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y8MP5VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That's the one I ordered. This will be the second time I've used them. My reasons for this one are:

1) It was on a list of well reviewed probiotics

2) It was one of the cheapest on said list

3) No refrigeration needed

4) I used them earlier this year, and they seemed to do something for me. At the very least, I had fewer stomach problems after I started taking them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

=====================================================================================================

--Stronkey Kong--

3 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y8MP5VA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

That's the one I ordered. This will be the second time I've used them. My reasons for this one are:

1) It was on a list of well reviewed probiotics

2) It was one of the cheapest on said list

3) No refrigeration needed

4) I used them earlier this year, and they seemed to do something for me. At the very least, I had fewer stomach problems after I started taking them.

I found the capsule version at the grocery store I just returned from. Bought a bottle and put it straight into the Box of Things That Go In The Carry-On. Thanks again! :) 

• Like 1

Increase Happiness Factor: Recently, Husband and I have had long and in-depth conversations about possibly making a big change in our life together. (No, we're not having a kid.) Making this change would dramatically level up the Mental Happiness stat for both of us, though it would be a painful grind to get there. Unfortunately, large life changes are some of the most potent fuel available for stoking the Flame of Anxiety.

Exciting! But stressful! But exciting! You're opening an alpaca farm, right? Alpacas are so soft. But seriously, best luck in getting the anxiety under control. Excellent job on the 20 day meditation streak. I've been using insight timer (really just the timer) and the consecutive days count is kind of motivating. 

Currently I'm re-reading and contemplating a sorely needed reminder on how to be gentle with yourself. I highly recommend anyone who has ever had a really bad day, mental health wise, and who looked back at that day and thought some version of, "why did I do that to myself?" to read this article.

I will read this now. Thanks for the link. 

• Like 2

So it is just after 10:00 PM, and I am typing this post in the lounge restaurant of hotel Intercontinental, in Sofia, Bulgaria. I am on the tail end of the first day of a week long business trip, and I will be here until Saturday morning, when the first leg of my flight home lifts the wheels off the runway at 07:00 AM.

The trip to Sofia went well, aside from unpleasant turbulence between Amsterdam and Sofia. On the 10 hours flight between Salt Lake City and Amsterdam, the seat next to mine was empty, which hardly ever happens! The airplane food was good and the hotel comfortable with good service. The business partner/vendor I'm visiting is great, the local trainer and I are on the same wavelength about almost everything, and we have a solid plan in place for the rest of the week.

This was supposed to be Round 3 against Stress Hydra. This was supposed to be the big project this challenge period that really put me at risk of losing control of the Flame of Anxiety and helplessly watch it turn into a wildfire. Instead, so many other things in my life have been so stressful that I looked forward to getting away from the stress of day-to-day, and last night when I was all alone in my hotel room I was fully able to relax for the first time in a long time.

And now I'm sitting in a mahogany and marble decor restaurant with dimmed lights, listening to instrumental Marvin Gaye covers played with a disproportionate amount of guitars and saxophones, enjoying a gourmet dinner on the company dime, and thinking to myself that Bulgarian wine is quite underrated, and I wonder if I can get my hands on some when I get home.

Life is currently surprisingly peaceful.

Stress Hydra, minus 40% health in one blow.

• Like 5

51 minutes ago, scalyfreak said:

last night when I was all alone in my hotel room I was fully able to relax for the first time in a long time.

And now I'm sitting in a mahogany and marble decor restaurant with dimmed lights, listening to instrumental Marvin Gaye covers played with a disproportionate amount of guitars and saxophones, enjoying a gourmet dinner on the company dime, and thinking to myself that Bulgarian wine is quite underrated, and I wonder if I can get my hands on some when I get home.

Life is currently surprisingly peaceful.

Stress Hydra, minus 40% health in one blow.

Awesome. Gotta love those moments when all is well and there's a nice glass of wine. 

• Like 1

Instrumental Marvin Gaye and a glass of wine sounds nice. Stress I stab at thee! 

• Like 1

LEVEL 4 - Half Elf - Sword Assassin

STR: 9          DEX: 4          CON: 8          INT: 6          CHA: 7

SKILLS: Swordsman 

EQUIPMENT: Padded Armor, Wooden Sword 

BADGES: Stormrider

A little more than an hour ago,  I woke up really hungry for the first time in months. Decided that IE trumps IF, and descended on the breakfast buffet. It was small, but varied and with high quality foods, as well as good coffee.

There was also fresh honey by the tea station.

20191119_080759.jpg

• Like 3

I am back home! Yesterday afternoon Husband picked me up at the airport, and we had a nice evening of watching sports and catching up on lost snuggle time. Happy Sidekick was bouncy super-happy and brought toy after toy over to me, while grinning and wagging her tail like a maniac. The cats were a bit more subdued and dignified about my return, but insisted on being near me the entire evening, and on sleeping on top of me when I went to bed.

It's good to be home. :) 

Physical Stress Management: I didn't get any working out done at all during the trip, but eating went very well. It's easier to eat non-greasy stomach friendly foods when there is a buffet of options available, or a large restaurant menu to choose from. Dairy was avoided as well, and though alcohol was had, it was either wine or beer with dinner, which negates almost all of the stomach liner damage, unless consuming more than food (which did not happen). And holy crap does Bulgaria have good wine. Why did I not know about this before? Why can't I get Bulgarian wine where I live?

For the first time I can remember, I managed to completely avoid any appearances of "travel stomach" the entire trip. This is also the first international trip I've taken probiotic supplements every day. I don't think this is a coincidence, so those white capsules have made it onto the carry-on contents checklist for future trips.

Mental Stress Management: Traveling across a large number of time zones makes it really easy to destroy a daily streak in Insight Timer. No big deal, since I can get one back easily enough. I did sleep meditations every night, and will go back to meditating every morning now that I'm back home. While in Sofia, I went on walks in the streets around the hotel every evening, exploring and people watching, and it felt great. Will have to consider adding daily walks to my routine now that I'm back home.

Increase Happiness Factor:  Thanksgiving is almost upon us. Due to various family-related factors involving travel, Husband and I will have Thanksgiving by ourselves this year, just the two of us. I am really looking forward to this, especially being able to actually eat everything on the table for once. The gravy and mashed potatoes will be lactose free, and I have spent a part of the morning reading vegan pumpkin pie recipes online. The 14 pounds turkey is in the fridge, defrosting, and will be cooked using the cajun seasoning that was suggested to me in the Shit Warriors Eat thread a while back.

Did I mention it's good to be home? :)

• Like 3

Excellent and excellent. You've been making and drinking kombucha as well as taking the probiotic tablets, right? How do they compare? 

Walking, wine with dinner, and snuggly animal companions all sound good. So does cajun spice turkey. Yay! 

10 hours ago, Harriet said:

Excellent and excellent. You've been making and drinking kombucha as well as taking the probiotic tablets, right? How do they compare? 

Not making, no.Not yet. Still undecided if I have the time and energy to do that. :) 

I would prefer to eat yogurt or drink kombucha, instead of eating the supplement, but while traveling that did not seem like an option at all. I'm going to go back to them now though, since I need an afternoon snack anyway, and I really enjoy the kombucha..

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Not making, no.Not yet. Still undecided if I have the time and energy to do that. :) 

I would prefer to eat yogurt or drink kombucha, instead of eating the supplement, but while traveling that did not seem like an option at all. I'm going to go back to them now though, since I need an afternoon snack anyway, and I really enjoy the kombucha..

Me too. It's delicious. It's got some added sugar, but damnit, I can't quit everything. I my view, pleasure should be treated as an essential macronutrient.

9 hours ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

.. Because you don't live in Bulgaria? 😛

Unfortunately that seems to be a major factor. Bulgarians don't seem like they're exporting a lot of their wine, and only to fellow European countries. This gives me a great sad, when I think about it.

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Me too. It's delicious. It's got some added sugar, but damnit, I can't quit everything. I my view, pleasure should be treated as an essential macronutrient.

It is one. Seriously, look it up. :)

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

It is one. Seriously, look it up. :)

If we're talking about the same macro, then yes, it is enjoyable, but its powers are limited, for I don't feel comfortable incorporating it into breakfast and lunch.

11 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

Unfortunately that seems to be a major factor. Bulgarians don't seem like they're exporting a lot of their wine, and only to fellow European countries. This gives me a great sad, when I think about it.

You could move to Europe. There are no mountain lions, very few bears, and we have charming cobblestones. But there must be good wines available in America. I don't know much about American wines but there must be some great ones. What about Chilean and Argentinean wines? 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

You could move to Europe. There are no mountain lions, very few bears, and we have charming cobblestones. But there must be good wines available in America. I don't know much about American wines but there must be some great ones. What about Chilean and Argentinean wines? 

Fortunately for me, I live in a state that has wineries. Several of the local ones are phenomenal, and there's a lot of importing going on from all over the world as well.

The only thing that has potential for being better than an Argentinian Malbec is Bulgarian Mavruda. :)

• Like 1

On 11/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, scalyfreak said:

Fortunately for me, I live in a state that has wineries. Several of the local ones are phenomenal, and there's a lot of importing going on from all over the world as well.

The only thing that has potential for being better than an Argentinian Malbec is Bulgarian Mavruda. :)

I've never even heard of Mavruda. In Australia, there are a few varieties that are pretty reliable, so I didn't really branch out much. Meanwhile, Europe is so large and its climates so varied, that it's hard to get to know the wine regions and grapes. I guess you just have to try things, and try to remember what you tried. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harriet said:

I've never even heard of Mavruda. In Australia, there are a few varieties that are pretty reliable, so I didn't really branch out much. Meanwhile, Europe is so large and its climates so varied, that it's hard to get to know the wine regions and grapes. I guess you just have to try things, and try to remember what you tried

Trying new wines is one of my favorite things to do. I take pictures of the label if I like it. :)

Happiness factor update: A couple of minutes ago I put my first ever pumpkin pie in the oven to bake. I have never baked one, and I really dislike the bland store bought pumpkin pies that are the only kind I have tried to eat since moving here.

So, inspired by the discussion with @spezzy in her thread, early on in this challenge period, I have been exploring vegan baking recipes online, and located one for a creamy vegan pumpkin pie. It came with a recipe for pumpkin spice, and after following that recipe to make my own, my opinion of the store bought spice blend is even lower. The pumpkin filling smells good, so I have high hopes for tomorrow's dessert. :) 

• Like 1