Scalyfreak regroups and changes her strategy

Scaly Freak

On 11/27/2019 at 4:52 PM, scalyfreak said:

Trying new wines is one of my favorite things to do. I take pictures of the label if I like it. :)

That is a very good idea. I usually try to avoid using my phone when I'm out with others. But obviously, using it as a specific tool for a specific, time-limited purpose and then putting it away is different from just pulling it out and idly scrolling, or even going down the rabbit hole of searching something "useful".

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

That is a very good idea. I usually try to avoid using my phone when I'm out with others. But obviously, using it as a specific tool for a specific, time-limited purpose and then putting it away is different from just pulling it out and idly scrolling, or even going down the rabbit hole of searching something "useful".

Yep. My phone's photo gallery has a folder called Wine, that I created just for this purpose. And using the phone this particular way is a very good conversation starter, especially with other wine lovers.

• Like 2

The Great Reading Thread of 2024

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

1 hour ago, JustCallMeAmber said:

How'd the vegan pumpkin pie turn out? :)

Spicy and delicious! I've saved the recipe for future holidays.

• Like 1

“I've always believed that failure is non-existent. What is failure? You go to the end of the season, then you lose the Super Bowl. Is that failing? To most people, maybe. But when you're picking apart why you failed, and now you're learning from that, then is that really failing? I don't think so." - Kobe Bryant, 1978-2020. Rest in peace, great warrior.

Personal Challenges, a.k.a.The Saga of Scalyfreak: Tutorial; Ch 1; Ch 2; Ch 3; Ch 4; Ch 5; Ch 6; Intermission; Intermission II; Ch 7; Ch 8; Ch 9; Ch 10; Ch 11; Ch 12 ; Ch 13; Ch 14Ch 15; Ch 16; Ch 17; Intermission IIICh 18; Ch 19; Ch 20; Ch 21; Ch 22; Ch 23; Ch 24; Ch 25; Intermission IV; Ch 26; Ch 27; Ch 28; Ch 29; Ch 30; Ch 31; Ch 32; Ch 33; Ch 34; Ch 35; Ch 36; Ch 37; Ch 38; Ch 39; Ch 40; Intermission V; Ch 41; Ch 42; Ch 43; Ch 44; Ch 45; Ch 46; Ch 47; Intermission VI; Ch 48; Ch 49

Last progress report for this challenge:

Physical Stress Management: Probiotics are awesome.  A couple of days ago I realized that Procrastination is very likely to be behind a lot of my reluctance to make my own kombucha, so obviously this means I must learn and make at least one batch just to spite her. As far as challenge progress goes, stomach lining has been restored and digestive system is considerably less fragile than when this challenge period started. Definitely a win here.

Mental Stress Management: Back to meditating every day makes a big difference. Looking at the challenge as a whole though, the trip to Sofia was really the death blow to this particular version of Stress Hydra. Despite it being a long international flight to a new place and a business trip, it was incredibly de-stressing to get away from everything outside work for a week. Highly recommend that particular part of business trips, particularly if you can swing a trip to a country with lots of good local wine.

Increase Happiness Factor:  I have gradually come to terms with the fact that what used to be stress boss fights, are now just regular mobs on the way through the dungeon. This is the new normal, and I need to adjust my stress levels accordingly, or I will burn out and the Flame of Anxiety will consume me. Realizing this has strengthened my mind's ability to resist freaking the fuck out when something unexpected ambushes me at work, and this in turn increases the mind's happiness ability. All of this is, in the end, a good thing.

And now I'm going to go post a new challenge in the free-for-all forum. Good luck finding me! :P 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

I have gradually come to terms with the fact that what used to be stress boss fights, are now just regular mobs on the way through the dungeon. This is the new normal, and I need to adjust my stress levels accordingly, or I will burn out and the Flame of Anxiety will consume me. Realizing this has strengthened my mind's ability to resist freaking the fuck out when something unexpected ambushes me at work, and this in turn increases the mind's happiness ability. All of this is, in the end, a good thing.

This is great. You levelled up. It's a pity you had to get mightier instead of the dungeon getting easier, but mightier is good, too. Very good.

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

36 minutes ago, Harriet said:

This is great. You levelled up. It's a pity you had to get mightier instead of the dungeon getting easier, but mightier is good, too. Very good.

I did level up! I didn't think about that. I shall have to mark this momentous occasion somehow. Perhaps a new avatar. :)

And I disagree. It is never a pity, or a negative, or in any way a bad thing when we become mightier. 💪

In fact, we have no choice but to become mightier, because the dungeon never gets easier. On the (hopefully rare) occasions the dungeon difficulty level changes, it goes up, not down. That is one of the most fundamental elements of game design - the longer we play, the more challenging the game becomes. We also become better at the game, and better equipped to handle the higher difficulty levels as we gain experience and progress through the skill trees, so a higher degree of difficulty might not be a problem or even something we notice if we're lucky. But the dungeon never gets easier.

Thankfully, as we level up it sometimes seems that way because of how strong and powerful we have become, but that's all on us, and it's the game's way of rewarding our efforts.

• Like 1