Bringing it all back into alignment

Hi all,

I'm Wolfhound (was Wolfhound665 but decided to drop the digits off) I'm on the cusp of 50 and have fallen off the wagon of fitness and nutrition.  In my 30's I ran every day and lifted light. in my early 40's I discovered powerlifting and crossfit and did that for 6 years, then injured myself and rolled over to self defense for 10 months'ish and then back to 6 months of crossfit before realizing I just wasn't motivated to have someone program 3x25 burpees into my workout and dropped off the fitness map, rolled into the local tavern and started enjoying brews a bit too much.

So after a elk season realizing the extra 30 lbs I've put on in the last few years (eat big, lift big right?) are hindering me more than helping I've decided I need to drop lots of weight and get back to some form of programming.  To do this I intend to:

Main Quest

Prepare for the spring powerlifting meet

To do this I will:

1. Clean up my diet.
    1. One alcoholic drink a week
    2. Minimize snacking (10am and 2pm) and only eat fruits, veggies or nuts for snacks.
    3. Stop eating after 7pm
    4. Get back to 80/20 paleo or at least cooking at home most of the time.
  2. Introduce conditioning work
    1. Kettlebells, slamballs, and jump rope are my friends
  3. Reestablish my strength training routine.
    1. Start with Starting Strength intermediate level at a safe weight and increase until I'm close to my old lifts.
    2. Stretch and roll out every night.

I'm 5'7 1/2 (I'm shrinking darn it!) and currently weigh in at 195.  I would like to get down to the 165-175 range.  Running any distance at my current weight causes my knees to ache.  My last powerlifting meet I weighed in at 190, the one before that was 179.  The strength I gained was not worth the weight I gained so I need to rebalance things.

@Hazard Did I do this thing right for a first challenge?

Wolfhound

• Like 3

Hey wolfhound!  Welcome to NF.   

7 minutes ago, wolfhound665 said:

@Hazard Did I do this thing right for a first challenge?

You've got the gist of it.   My only concern is I think you might be aiming for too many different dietary changes to try to tackle in a one month challenge.  That usually doesn't work out well for people, from what I've seen on NF over the years.  I'd advise picking maybe two of the diet subquests to focus on this month.  Spend this Challenge getting a handle on those two, then next Challenge tackle the other two.  That's my suggestion anyway.  I think you'll have a better success if you do that.

You haven't seen my Final Form

I Stand With Gina Carano

5 minutes ago, Hazard said:

Hey wolfhound!  Welcome to NF.   

You've got the gist of it.   My only concern is I think you might be aiming for too many different dietary changes to try to tackle in a one month challenge.  That usually doesn't work out well for people, from what I've seen on NF over the years.  I'd advise picking maybe two of the diet subquests to focus on this month.  Spend this Challenge getting a handle on those two, then next Challenge tackle the other two.  That's my suggestion anyway.  I think you'll have a better success if you do that.

Thanks for the reply.  So if I dropped it to one drink a week and no eating after 7pm it would be better?  I can do that.  

Welcome and good luck with your goals! I'm super interested to see how the powerlifting meet prep turns out. I love lifting, but I definitely feel too self conscious to compete. Must get stronger. Also, burpees are unnatural and wrong. I believe they cause pain and sadness and possibly wars, famine and crime. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

Thanks Harriet!  I've done two meets so far (every two years and I want to change that).  The association I compete in is very friendly and supportive.  I feel very self conscious about myself as well but when you step onto the platform to compete the most amazing thing happens.  Everything around you just vanishes.   It's just you,  the bar and the head judge.  The first time I walked up to the bar there was a group of young ladies having a very loud and animated conversation in the first row behind the judges.  As soon as I took up the weight of the bar it's like I had tunnel vision and their voices vanished.  It was amazing.   Everyone I've talked to seems to have the same experience (though I'm sure some don't,  we're all different right?).

I would say  go for it.

As for burpees... We Hates them,  nasty exhausting exercise!(done in my best Golum voice) :-)

• Like 1
13 hours ago, wolfhound665 said:

when you step onto the platform to compete the most amazing thing happens.  Everything around you just vanishes.   It's just you,  the bar and the head judge. 

Sounds like an awesome experience! One day, perhaps. 

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

On 10/30/2019 at 1:28 PM, wolfhound665 said:

Thanks Harriet!  I've done two meets so far (every two years and I want to change that).  The association I compete in is very friendly and supportive.  I feel very self conscious about myself as well but when you step onto the platform to compete the most amazing thing happens.  Everything around you just vanishes.   It's just you,  the bar and the head judge.  The first time I walked up to the bar there was a group of young ladies having a very loud and animated conversation in the first row behind the judges.  As soon as I took up the weight of the bar it's like I had tunnel vision and their voices vanished.  It was amazing.   Everyone I've talked to seems to have the same experience (though I'm sure some don't,  we're all different right?).

How heavy were you lifting when you did your first meet?

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

33 minutes ago, solidify said:

How heavy were you lifting when you did your first meet?

For my third lifts I squatted 300#, benched 185#, and deadlifted 365#.  Two years later I did 315#, 198.5#, and 385# respectively.  A few months ago I was squatting 3x3@285#, benching 3x4@165# and deadlifting 3x3@300# 

If I can just get my mindset back on the diet and training I could get back to those numbers in March.

Wolfhound

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mister B said:

That's really impressive to me. I'm a seriously novice lifter, and just amazed at how much weight people can lift. 

It's really about consistent training, adding weight to the bar and not getting scared or the iron or letting your ego/competitiveness get you in trouble.  That said you also can't get frustrated when someone out lifts you.  On the second meet outside of the teen class I was probably the second weakest male lifter there.  I would have been the weakest if the 70 year old gentleman hadn't had shoulder surgery that spring ("Doctor told me not to lift but <shrug> it's what I do so...").  

The human body can do so much.  It's really amazing.

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Mister B said:

That's really impressive to me. I'm a seriously novice lifter, and just amazed at how much weight people can lift. 

I'm still amazed and envious at how much others can lift, too. Oh well. I like lifting enough to do it unimpressively. 

20 hours ago, wolfhound665 said:

It's really about consistent training, adding weight to the bar and not getting scared or the iron or letting your ego/competitiveness get you in trouble.  That said you also can't get frustrated when someone out lifts you.  On the second meet outside of the teen class I was probably the second weakest male lifter there.  I would have been the weakest if the 70 year old gentleman hadn't had shoulder surgery that spring ("Doctor told me not to lift but <shrug> it's what I do so...").  

The human body can do so much.  It's really amazing.

I'm down with the consistent training. It's the "not getting scared" that has been holding me back. I'm self taught lifted - Starting Strength book, Greg Nuchols' guides, videos etc. so I was worried about hurting myself. Finally booked a session with a Strong First certified instructor. She gave me confidence that I was lifting fine. She also gave me so minor fixes and good advice about lifting. So I'm on my way. Just time to get to the higher weights. I take it slower because of being so much older that my joints need to catch up with my muscles.

• Like 2
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

On 10/31/2019 at 10:24 PM, wolfhound665 said:

As a pretty slow but enthusiastic/dedicated/serious runner, I completely respect this.

Good luck in getting back to where you were, and beyond!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

On 11/1/2019 at 5:03 PM, solidify said:

I'm down with the consistent training. It's the "not getting scared" that has been holding me back. I'm self taught lifted - Starting Strength book, Greg Nuchols' guides, videos etc. so I was worried about hurting myself. Finally booked a session with a Strong First certified instructor. She gave me confidence that I was lifting fine. She also gave me so minor fixes and good advice about lifting. So I'm on my way. Just time to get to the higher weights. I take it slower because of being so much older that my joints need to catch up with my muscles.

I agree on the taking time.   Get your form solid at light weights.  Treat every lift like you have 500# on your back. Perfect form whether it's the bar or your working weight. 

On 11/2/2019 at 7:08 PM, Xena said:

As a pretty slow but enthusiastic/dedicated/serious runner, I completely respect this.

Good luck in getting back to where you were, and beyond!

Thanks Xena, I used to run every day when I did Weight Watchers in my early thirties.  Never over 5 miles and I actually started getting the runners high which I never expected.  I've got a jog scheduled for my Saturdays. Hopefully I will manage it. 

I'm hopeful that I can get my groove back.

Last week I was focused on figuring out the whole challenge thing and trying to get a handle on food.   Halloween kinda cratered the food side of things.  But this weekend I  looked at what I want to do for my workouts and divided them up and created a schedule. 

So last night I ran out and bought groceries and we had pitas, carrot sticks,  and some chips (should throw them out) and I baked a few sweet potatoes. 

I got up this morning got dressed and went to lift,  realized I forgot to put my hunting gear away and had to spend some time doing that.  Realized I didn't have time for it all and just focused on some solid lighter squats and weighted lunges.  I'll make up for it by walking at lunch and doing gym workout 6A tonight at a lighter weight. 

Finished the workout and took a couple baked sweet potatoes and diced them and sauted them with spinach at my daughter's request and topped with a couple fried eggs. 

On a side note I showed my wonderful wife the site and she signed up for it as well.

Wolfhound 

• Like 2

"On a side note I showed my wonderful wife the site and she signed up for it as well. "

Fabulous!

Spoiler

On 11/4/2019 at 7:06 PM, Xena said:

Welcome to Mrs. Wolfhound :-)

She's been reading through the mindset section.  Soon she'll be doing a challenge.

On 11/4/2019 at 10:56 AM, solidify said:

"On a side note I showed my wonderful wife the site and she signed up for it as well. "

Fabulous!

It's a good thing to have support in the home.

Today was a pretty good day.  Ate correctly and cleanly.  Got a short walk in at lunch, did my lifts tonight.  Loss of sleep is my big hiccup.  Gotta figure out how to get more.  On to tomorrow!

Wolfhound

• Like 2
10 hours ago, wolfhound665 said:

She's been reading through the mindset section.  Soon she'll be doing a challenge.

It's a good thing to have support in the home.

Today was a pretty good day.  Ate correctly and cleanly.  Got a short walk in at lunch, did my lifts tonight.  Loss of sleep is my big hiccup.  Gotta figure out how to get more.  On to tomorrow!

Wolfhound

Could I have YOUR wife speak to MY husband. :lol: He supports me but won't join me. Kids and I working on it.

Sounds like you had a great day. Keep up the work!

Spoiler

On 11/6/2019 at 6:00 AM, solidify said:

Could I have YOUR wife speak to MY husband. :lol: He supports me but won't join me. Kids and I working on it.

They have to be ready, it can't be forced.  What's it that Dave Ramsey says...You have to be sick and tired of being sick and tired.

Another good day.  I've hit all my workouts (even walked at lunch), parked at the far end of the parking lot at work, eaten only the things I brought with me (vs being sucked into the work cafeteria snack area of doom).  

I've kept the lifts light.  Tomorrow I'm planning on doing snatches and OH squats.  will probably be really light.  The dumbbell OH squats showed my that my balance isn't what it should be and I need to focus on it as well.

Wolfhound

• Like 1
On 11/6/2019 at 8:00 AM, solidify said:

Take the support where you can get it, and see if there are ways he can join on his own terms. Leave an opening and maybe some day he'll take it. Just my thought.

On 11/7/2019 at 11:52 PM, wolfhound665 said:

Another good day.  I've hit all my workouts (even walked at lunch), parked at the far end of the parking lot at work, eaten only the things I brought with me (vs being sucked into the work cafeteria snack area of doom).  

Keep it up!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

22 minutes ago, Xena said:

Take the support where you can get it, and see if there are ways he can join on his own terms. Leave an opening and maybe some day he'll take it. Just my thought.

Keep it up!

I hear you. It's just his health is at risk and he thinks he's 25. The kids are just as worried about him as I am. But you can lead a horse to water ...

• Like 1
Spoiler

Well <hangs head in shame>

It's been a rough week.  Almost no exercise (got a few lunch time walks in), diet was fine up until Thursday night then it nosedived.  Ate too much, drank more than I should have...

I'd blame the goings on of the week but really if I'd held fast I could have.  Might have been too grumpy if I had held fast so I don't know.

Bright sides...I did walk.  Even though I over ate several meals and drank a few too many drinks I was good about the food overall.  My weight is still down so I didn't throw the balance off too much.

Goal for this week is to get back to the garage gym and eat properly.  Fingers crossed I can do it all week.

Have a good week everyone.

Wolfhound

• Like 1
14 hours ago, wolfhound665 said:

Well <hangs head in shame>

No shame. Just give yourself some compassion and try again this week. The gym awaits.