• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DaemonCorax

DaemonCorax has goals, and a "Warehouse 13" theme

Ok, so I'm a week late to the party here. Sorry!

Warehouse-13-S4x09-Claudia-brute-force.j

Claudia is my sidekick this challenge. I'm on call at work from 11 pm to 11 am for most of the challenge for all sorts of tech wizardry. Fun. Intense.

We're doing this big >1 month test at work and the week before last involved a lot of arriving to the lab at 4 am to fix something. And then last week involved a LOT of meetings about what went wrong the week before. So yeah. Oops.

The goals are simple:

1. The What: Regain the ability to do a strict pull-up by December.

The How: 10 minutes of working out in the basement 6 days a week. May be substituted with actually making it to the climbing gym or climbing outside

2. The What: No snacking. The work test and the weird hours has me snacking. I used to IF and only eat 2x a day. That's not great for my current schedule or baby feeding.

The How: Bring enough lunch food to work to actually have lunch and no snacks. e.g. today I had breakfast and then have a frozen burrito and Noosa for lunch. Burrito only is highling insufficient. One day I may cook lunch for myself again, but that day is not today.

3. The What: Ride to work at least once a week

The How: Any day that isn't packed with meetings, that I have gotten 5+ hours of consecutive sleep, and that the roads are death-icy, ride my bike. Dial it back if it compromises baby feeding.

4. The What: Balance. The to do list is endless, but we still need to play outside. On the flip side, we have another basement climbing wall project for this winter. There is a financial component to this too. I'm meeting my savings goals, but with some exterior house repairs about to hit the bank account, I'm dialing back credit card usage this month.

The How: Still working on this, as ignoring the to do list is very against type for me. But for starters I'm taking a break from Facebook.

• Like 2

Challenge Week 2 Day 2 update:

Yesterday I rode to and from work. This 17 mi round trip. It used to be what I did everyday. Now I was definitely feeling a bit tired at the prospect of riding home, but the only person who passed me was on an e-bike. The whole sleeping thing improved a few days ago, so I got to sleep from 8:30-ish last night until 3. Had a hard time going back to sleep, but made it until 6 or so. Bug slept through 8 until 6:30 and was in a good mood when he woke up. Made my morning :)

Today's goal was to go to the gym, but a garage door remote loss/repair may get in the way of that. At least we'll make it into the basement for some hangboard and core workout stuff. I did well with the not snacking yesterday.

Work is distinctly less on fire today, so I'm using the opportunity to discover the crippling side effects of the most recent Mac updates. Sigh.

Claudia-Donovan-Allison-Scagliotti-74659

• Like 2

Wednesday morning update. So I definitely grabbed a bit of dried mango from the test-staff table. As snacks go, that's one I refuse to feel bad about.

We did get snarled up in the garage door repair and voting last night, so no basement time. Prioritizing that tonight for sure.

The big work test is happy for now:

tumblr_nly64jvQ411tlg6gpo8_250.gifv

Someone ( @Tanktimus the Encourager?) needs to send me an oatmeal recipe that is (1) quick and (2) tastes like something.

Just now, DaemonCorax said:

Wednesday morning update. So I definitely grabbed a bit of dried mango from the test-staff table. As snacks go, that's one I refuse to feel bad about.

We did get snarled up in the garage door repair and voting last night, so no basement time. Prioritizing that tonight for sure.

The big work test is happy for now:

tumblr_nly64jvQ411tlg6gpo8_250.gifv

Someone ( @Tanktimus the Encourager?) needs to send me an oatmeal recipe that is (1) quick and (2) tastes like something.

What dietary restrictions, if any, do you have? These can include allergies or things you are avoiding for nutrition reasons, or simply stuff you don't like. I can advise you better with that info.

No restrictions at all, but I do my best work on a high fat diet. Last year, when I was climbing a ton I didn't eat breakfast. I ate a bowl of rice with greens and sausage or chicken thighs for lunch, and then a big dinner of stew and bread, something like that. I don't have time for a big lunch anymore, so I'd like a hot breakfast that's healthy, quick to make, and has a sizeable amount of fat in it with a good delivery system. I'm looking at oatmeal recipes that add coconut oil or butter, but don't have 5 million ingredients. Topping it with a banana or something is about my time limit garnish-wise, but getting the liquids and fats right seems to be the trick.

I've been skimming this for ideas:

https://www.outsideonline.com/2242911/oatmeal-still-worlds-best-performance-breakfast

(Also putting this link here helps me not lose it)

• Like 1

Allllllllllllllrighty then!

Oats are fast or slow based on how whole the grain is. Old fashioned oats are going to have the most fiber and have the greatest health benefits, but take five minutes to cook. You can get quick oats that cook faster, but they have less fiber. Choose accordingly, then cook them according to the directions on the package. 

If you season them, add the dry ingredients to the raw oats and stir. I like some cinnamon, ground cloves, nutmeg and allspice. Experiment with the amounts to see what works for you. Don't forget salt (really). If you want to, you can cook the oats in milk, that adds a super good kick. If you want, you can just cook them in water and add some milk. Add some butter too, that enhances the flavor and gets you that good fat content. For sweetener, honey or maple syrup work great. If you use syrup, make sure you get real maple syrup and not some high-fructose corn syrup knockoff. 

Hello, I just randomly found this oatmeal discussion and thought this might be helpful.

For Oatmeal Transformer, you can blend oatmeal (pretty any type), frozen spinach, milk (or whey+water) and some cocoa powder for quite powerful smoothie. Want it sweeter? Replace spinach for some berries (fresh or frozen) or banana.

The best part is - you can pour it into bottle and store in freezer waiting for that call-to-arms. I make mine in the evening for additional 10min of sleep in the morning (grabbing a readied bottle is way faster than preparing it before work).

For added fat you can use heavy cream. Coconut or MCT oil should work as well, but I haven't tried those yet (might be an issue when stored in the freezer). Almond/peanut butter sounds reasonable too.

But hey, I called it "Transformer". Why? Just pour it into bowl and microwave it at work and you have hot, thick porridge :D

• Like 1

18 hours ago, aramis said:

Coconut

Yeah I think I will try coconut oil or peanut butter.

Last night - well we WERE going to workout in the basement or gym, but the little bug fell asleep in my lap around 5 after not napping very well in the afternoon. So. We didn't. Today I'm going to try to do some core stuff in my office whenever I switch tasks. And then the new rule is that we go to the basement as soon as MFH gets home so that we don't kick the can down the road and get tired. I'm feeling a bit stir crazy. Planning on riding tomorrow.

creamy-polenta.jpg

Image courtesy of epicurious. I didn't photograph my breakfast.

This morning I shopped my kitchen and found polenta. It's just the simple stuff in a tube, but I cooked it up with pat of butter and a splash of cream (We're out of milk) and 2 eggs beaten in. I ate half of that with half an avocado on top. Very yummy, and I have breakfast for tomorrow from the leftovers. I'm sure there's a lot of reasons oatmeal is better, but I'm just happy I got a satisfying hot breakfast.

As for the oatmeal advice: 5 minute oats is totally attainable. I'm wondering how long it take to make polenta from grain - I suspect longer....

• Like 1

If you want to speed up the cooking of the oatmeal, then set it up the night before- if it spends the night soaking in milk it'll cook in a minute or so. 

I prefer my oatmeal in milk, with some extra butter and an egg stirred through.. topped with banana or cooked with raisins x) 

22 hours ago, KB Girl said:

with some extra butter and an egg stirred through.

This is what I did with my polenta.  Good to know it's worth trying with oatmeal too!

Tiny one got some polenta this morning....THEN I read corn is allergen to look for? Weird? He was very very stoked, so he got a few bites of my breakfast to explore.

Last night we. Wait for it. Made it to the gym. I've been climbing 9-10.b just fine at our gym (gym grades are soft), but decided to challenge myself. I climbed:

10a, 11b, 10d, 10c, 10c. I didn't make it all the way up any of them except the first one. The fingers are stronger, but not strong enough for the last 6' or so. Still it was worth the step up in grades. MFH was saying I should try an 11 every time we're there.

Also I treated myself to a second pair of new jeans today. I have one very worn pair right now that I like, another identical pair waiting in my mailbox, and now these. The only other pair (and the pair I'm currently wearing) are probably >4 years old. They've only lasted this long because they're boot cut so I don't climb in them. But they're low rise enough that the bottom of the waistband is getting stuck on the hard ridge of my c section scar, which stinks. I'm trying to be frugal, but it's worth $27 to not deal with this.

giphy.gif

EDIT: Also. I rode today. That make twice this week for 34 mi total.

• Like 2

Soo worth it! And yay for getting to the gym :) 

I didn’t even know corn is an allergen to look for and I’m a dietician.. it’s definitely not common!

Probably not very common but both Hub's boss and my boss's spouses are allergic to corn. His boss's wife is bad enough to carry around an EpiPen. My boss's husband isn't as bad but he gets migraines being around it so movie theaters are generally out for him

Weekend things: Well I spent $1.79 and BOUGHT oats for oatmeal but have not eaten any thus far. Oops.

Saturday: Breakfast out, an errand or two, and then bouldering. Sort of. The boulders at this location are great, but it's about 1.5 mi in and up to get to thiem. No biggie. There were 5 of us but 2 were late. Carrying the crash pad and the baby was something I was wary of because crash pads are big and hit branches, and I didn't want to get thrown off balance. So MFH and our friend took the crash pads. And I took the LR, frontloaded, and the 85 L backpack containing:

3.5 L of water

4 pairs climbing shoes

abbreviated diaper supplies in a dry bag

2 hoodie

assorted warm layers for LR

Fleece/nylon outdoor blanet

Giant chalk pot, "Hector"

2 rolls ritz crackers

cheddar cheese

knife

12 pack of beer

1353690.main_image.jpg?strip=all

Yes. This was in my backpack.

It was not light. There were about 16 lbs of liquid in there alone. The pack weighs almost 6 empty. I was slow.

"Training weight" hehe. Coming back down we made our late friends carry the pack and one of the crash pads. MFH took the tiny one. I took the big pad. I think after schleping it around I will be comfy carrying it w LR next time.

Sunday wasn't really an exercise day. MFH climbed in the morning and I worked on the bikes in the afternoon.

Goal for today: cook black bean stew thing and get basement time. MFH appears to be catching a cold from LR, so might not gym for a day or two.

• Like 2

Since its the beginning of the week, I decided I need to check in with myself on those goals.

Goal 1: So per usual, the hardest part of the pull-up for me is the first couple inches after shoulder engagement. I tend to favor my biceps and my lats need work. There's a tear or scar tissue or some mess in my left shoulder that used to catch a lot in this motion. So right now, if I tap my toe on the ground I can launch past this bit to do a pull-up with a proper lock out at the top. I'm doing a lot of negative and uneven pullups (on ascenders, because bigwall things), to try to get that spot stronger. I DID (hooray!) pull up on our hangboard this week and swing my feet up into the roof crack in our ceiling for the first time. The core is coming back. Slowly.

Goal 2: Well mostly not snacking. There was definitely a 1/2" x 1" x 1/2" piece of fudge this morning. There are snacks everywhere at work. With the exception of a mouthful or so of dried mango, I'm mostly avoiding them.

Goal 3: Last week I got twice! Woohoo! Today was very very icy. We'll see how the rest of the week pans out.

Goal 4: Ugh. MFH and I had some stressed conversations about our morning routine and me not getting out the door on time. We both like hanging out with LR a bit in the morning, letting him get explore bananas or whatever. We're going to reorient and try preloading more in the evening. LR has a more "official" bedtime now around 7:30 and sleeps until 4 or 5 most of the time, so if we don't crash too early we can get the little time consuming bits of workday prep done earlier.

source.gif

We'll see.

• Like 2

Oatmeal experiment day:

Turns out MFH really like oatmeal too, even offered to make it. I followed the instructions on the oats to make 2 servings with water. Then I kept it on heat and added 1 tbsp of coconut oil, two eggs, and some cinnamon and nutmeg. After serving a poured a little whole milk on mine, chopped up a banana and drizzled a little syrup.

It was pretty good. The egg and fats and whatnot helped. A little more on the spicing would be good. I was ginger with the syrup because I don't want sugar for breakfast, but it was a nice touch. Will keep adjusting.

e7a56cad0a0d9c6c8e93052d28b75b41.gif

The Warehouse 13 characters have a frightening consumption rate of oatmeal scotchies. Yum.

I didn't get my basement time yesterday in spite of getting home early. Our local shop had skis in stock for MFH and it was Veteran's Day, so we ate dinner out. I did 7 push-ups before calling it a night.

• Like 2

Got the basement time yesterday. Had oatmeal again today for breakfast - made a double recipe for the two of us: 2 cups of oats, 3 eggs, 2 tbsp coconut oil, spices, added banana, milk, and a tiny bit of syrup. Was pleasantly surprised when I wasn't ravenous at lunchtime.

I got my basement time yesterday evening too even though it was cooking night. I made a black been soup/stew w 1 lb italian sausage, a ton of peppers and spices, and 5 cans of black and kidney beans. Basement workout was an assortment of pull ups, pull-ups on 2x8s, push ups, one-knee/one-leg airborne push-ups etc. We each do 3 sets and play with the tiny one on the floor in between. He giggles like crazy about us doing push-ups, but is completely flummoxed by the idea of crawling.

Today. Well. I think we're trying to pick out a cat for our (my) extremely social cat. Yep.

perfect-matches.jpg

No, this isn't us. But it will be.

• Like 3

Oatmeal continues to be a success. We're out of eggs, but the cocunut oil/spices combo is good. I got my basement workout last night in spite of being very tired. I can now do 7 real push-ups, up from 0 a month or so again. The dead hang-to-pull up motion is still a bit of a mess but there's progress.

b55ffe1998b24b8eb94a8f353ee9838c.gif

• Like 2

Aaaaaaaaa. And things were going so well.

Friday was nothing special. Saturday was a project day. I got a bit stressed because MFH and I brainstormed a project, but then I was on LR duty while he got to execute the project. And while I certainly don't mind cuddling LR, I felt stuck, and my brain was still in project mode....sigh.

Saturday night MFH got struck down hard by a stomach bug. I got hit with a lesser version of it around noon, but we were both so exhausted we stayed home Monday. I stayed home Tuesday too. MFH wished he had. I finally made it to the grocery store yesterday (yay) and bought more oatmeal (and everything else, yay), but zero exercising has happened. The dehydration also killed my ability to feed LR properly, so we sent him to daycare yesterday with formula to mix 50/50 in his bottles. I was tired and was able to pick him up early, and I know he's fine with this mix, but it was still heartbreaking to come up short. I'm doing better today as I get healthier, so hopefully we'll revert to normal. We've also been sharing our oatmeal with him rather than make him a separate "baby cereal" in the morning to experiment with. It's been adorable, messy fun.

claudia_pout.gif

Oh. And we got a kitten. MFH and LR picked him out. He's very sweet, but the above chronicled overload has me wishing we'd gotten a young cat instead. Fortunately I hear kittens grow into cats (that can manage stairs, etc).

• Like 2

Hehe. The kitten is a girl. MFH took her to the vet yesterday for her lingering respiratory problem. No matter. It might explain why our cat is confused by her - he's tried to befriend every cat he's met w me, but they've all be adult male cats like him. She's something new. We're going to give them a few weeks to sort out their interactions. She's very sweet, but our resident cat is the final judge of whether she stays. Technically we are fostering her right now (our friend runs the org we got her from and her husband is super allergic, so we took her early). Either way, she is a nice personable little cat, and if she and our cat can't coexist our friend knows she will find a permanent home easily. I hope it doesn't come to that. I have mixed feelings about having a kitten, for sure, but I don't want her to experience a bunch of instability. I'm also not willing to stress out my cat for a year of "getting to know you." We'll see.

Oatmeal continues.

Last night I made soup with chicken thighs, chickpeas, fingerling potatoes, bone broth, lemon zest+juice, salt, pepper and oregano. Yum. When there's more room in the pot I'm going to add kale too. It was delicious with a bit of parmesan and warm bread.

So I really owe an end-of-challenge summary. There was a weekend this challenge where MFH and I got a stomach bug, and the following weekend LR got it too. He threw up for a whole Sunday, poor little guy. I stayed home Monday with him to let him nap and rehydrate. Then we got over a foot of snow :) Tuesday and Wednesday of last week, work was closed. I went in briefly Tuesday morning, but then we got to go play in the snow. We had rigged up a bike trailer with some free skiis and got to take our first test voyage right in our neighborhood and around the lake. It was great :) We also got to go to the gym 4x in the past week. 2 days it was just us, so lots of bouldering. Then Sunday, we had a friend come out so there were 3 adults. We got to rotate, and I got to lead climb for the first time in the gym in about a year. I'd led outside a little while back with MFH on a date day. I feel a lot calmer and know how to rest better while leading than I did pre-pregnancy. It's super interesting. But hanging out to clip bolts really highlighted my weaknesses, as my shoulder got super tired. Then MFH and I took our date day yesterday. Because the weather was too warm to ski and too wet to climb outside, we went back to the gym. We climbed for a steady 4 hours, with one 20 min break, before picking up LR early from day care. I did a lot more leading. My shoulders were tired on the first route, but didn't get markedly worse for a while. It was really nice to get some much exercise in. I'm climbing the same gym grades I was pre-pregnancy, but I know I'm down on brute strength in some places - if I had to go jug and aid route right now, it might kill me. Lol.

e1197f12fc5065494501c5f265d5a65b.jpg

This isn't us, but it's very similar to what we did.

In other news, I've enjoyed being off Facebook. I'm still feeling intermittently like I'm too busy - I have so many small tasks (babyproofing, getting wills and other paperwork taken care of) that I still feel overwhelmed. I'm trying to trust that it will all happen when it needs to.

• Like 2