• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Siferiax

Eating in the US?

Hi,

My BF and I have been successfully eating low-carb for 3 months now and we're feeling great!

(We don't identify as keto)

However living in The Netherlands, choosing low-carb food is relatively easy. Good cheese and good meat are easy to come by.

However next year we'll be visiting the US for a vacation and we're a little worried about our food options/choices there.

We're wondering about any tips or tricks you can provide, such as where to shop and how to read US labels. Our labels are super easy as they have per 100gr of food stuff. And I understand US labels are not that straight forward. We aim to eat foods that have no more than 5gr of carbs per 100gr of food stuff.

Also we'll be going to Orlando FL. Meaning we'll be visiting all of the theme parks. So anyone who has tips for those, we would much appreciate it.

Thanks for any help ^^

Sif

PS. We'll be staying at a house, so home cooking is an option we'll likely use a lot too.

Low carb at restaurants is extremely difficult. However, if you are cooking, it's not that hard. The same foods that are low carb over there are low carb over there. Your biggest adjustment is probably going to be non-metric measurements on nutrition labels. Micro and Macro nutrients are usually metric, but serving sizes usually aren't. Use a unit converter on your phone.

Here's an info graphic. Ignore the sugar-industry propaganda about fat being bad.

8ND-17MI4kHG6PAdov-PRPr1e0sLaRDKgS4P4KhC

Restaurants; If you order a meal that has meat, veggies and a starch (potatoes or rice) ask to swap out the starch for a second serving of veggies. If you are at a burger place , dump the bun

Grocery stores; usually have roasted chicken (if you are looking for pre cooked food) and a lot of them either have packaged salads or  a salad bar. The packaged salads may contain things that up your carb (craisins, sugared nuts) but they are usually in individual packets that you can dump

theme parks; nicer restaurants; the same as above. Grocery  stores also sell hardboiled eggs. I'm visiting DW next month, and I'm hoping that  I can grab some of these to stick in our fridge for breakfast. Also deli meat-, it may have some sugar added, but it is better. If you get a sandwich or hamburger, just dump the bread.  They usually offer  apples as a side, which dies have carbs, but it is a better choice then fries. You can get salads, but most are pre made, so any extra goodies are going to be on there (hopefully dressing is on the side) I've tried being super low carb while at Disneyland, and it was doable , but pretty hard( I was hungry). What worked better for me, was just to make the best choices I could (for example the apples slices) and not overly worry about it.

Ah Nice, that's good to know ^^ thanks so much both of you!

Any grocery stores to specifically look for or avoid?

I do know there are differences, but I'm not sure what all the places are called :P

Grocery stores are so regional it's hard to know what to tell you without knowing your itinerary, and then local people would need to give you tips.  When I see ask reddit threads about people visiting the U.S., people always mention a lot of European visitors are unprepared for how large the landmass of the Continental U.S. is. Our states are like European countries. Florida alone is four times the size of the Netherlands by surface area.