• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
lwow

Sing it again, rookie biatch!

I am an ogre at 5'8" and 197 lbs aiming to break 180 by March by losing fat and gaining muscle. Working to become a Ranger, I've done 2 half marathons and a handful of 5ks this year so I started to like running, but I think the 5/10ks are my favorite distance. Last month I started body weight circuits and am looking into starting crossfit. I also found a winter 3 v 3 basketball league and I am so excited, but I need to get into good shape (sprinting/endurance) for that so I don't embarrass myself.

However...in the last week or so I tweaked my low back, it is an existing injury but hasn't been a problem since I was rowing in college. I am really angry with myself, but motivated to keep moving. If I can drop some weight and stabilize my core with muscle, I should be able to keep my back healthy.

I'm going to chiropractor/physical therapist today so hopefully I'll find out what I can and cannot do, and might be revising my goals to include physical therapy. I am already icing and stretching like crazy. In any case, this means I need to be vigilant about eating right.

Goals:

Nutrition:

Keep tracking weekday calories and mindful weekend eating

Aiming to keep between 1600-1800 calories of quality fuel food

Fitness:

Weekday morning weights at home 30 min/4 days week

Friday morning 6 am Body Combat class at gym; mixed martial arts cardio workout

Yoga once a week either Wednesday night or Saturday morning

Active weekends-gym, hiking, city exploration, maybe visit sport rock

And as always, have to walk to work a little over a mile each way

Life:

Last weekend, I went to an open figure drawing class with live models. I haven't kept up with drawing since college, and I always mean to. I had so so so much fun picking up charcoal and drawing great big pictures. This month I got a small moleskine notebook, and I have to fill it up. What a fun blank slate!

Judging from last challenge, I know you'll do well this time again! You barely need us for motivation to get your butt in gear and I admire you for that!

Make sure you rest and to fully recover from your injury before anything else, train smart. And it is a good idea to work on your core if your back is bothering you as it might be a case of balancing your body out. Keep your core strong enough to avoid injuries everywhere else.

Good luck Lwow!

Hey there,

You are close to where I was in June. I was able to take the weight off with diet and exercise. If you have an iPhone or iPod touch, there is a great app for tracking calories called Lose It. It really helped me. I am about an inch taller (depending on the shoes I am wearing ;) and was at 198 when I started (164 now).

Injuries do suck, but I know you can do it!

Thanks for all the encouragement, I think this month will be tougher than last with the injury issue so as Martinpanduh says "training smart" is what it is all about and I won't be able to make up for bad eating with workouts, so everything that goes in must be good food and not too much of it.

I have been tracking calories with caloriecount.com when I have time, or just keeping a running tally in my head. I have gotten pretty good at estimating, and I eat a lot of the same stuff so I know it already, just have to make sure that I am keeping portion sizes consistent and eating enough protein.

The last 2 days eating has been great, but the challenges are ahead. I have friends in town this weekend, and then next weekend is thanksgiving, so I have to be super good now to indulge a little then.

For working out, I am focusing on upper body weights and lots lots of stretching, and of course walking about 1.5 mi to and from work every day. Yesterday I did an upper body circuit, and I am feeling it today for sure. I have never been able to do a pull up. I gave the assisted pull up a shot yesterday, and could do 5 with it helping with 120 lbs. It is encouraging to me that it will be easier as I lose weight and get stronger which are my main goals anyway.

Don_Dudley-congrats on your success, I hope I can be where you are 5 months from now :)

Last night I went to the physical therapist/chiropractor to get my back checked out. When they started poking around my back, I yelped it hurt so bad, which was embarrassing. But clearly something is wrong. They took xrays and I'll hear more on tuesday. Till then no running or cardio more than walking.

Oh wow, I really didn't think anyone would get the reference. Can I vote to get 67alecto some extra points for this month? I am simultaneously thrilled and anxious to hear about plans for a sequel...how can it possibly measure up to the original?

Speaking of measuring...this morning I did my baseline measurements, and even though I have had to take it easy with working out I continue to get smaller since the end of last challenge, so that is excellent. Eating is going mostly well, last night I had to work late and the company got us a huge dinner which I housed. At least I realized I had made a mistake. Acknowledging the problem is the first step.

I have friends in town until Monday, so working out will be a challenge, but I plan to eat well and keep up stretching/icing for back so I am ready to get into it next week. Next long weekend (for thanksgiving) I have plans to be extremely active and shockingly few plans for extreme eating, so it should all balance out in the end.

I am slacking. Need to pick things up in both activity and eating. Injury is not an excuse. Social obligations are not an excuse.

It could be worse. But it could be a whole lot better.

Unless you can talk them into it, or distract them somehow ("Here, watch this movie, I'll be back in half an hour". Or just stretch when you go to bed. Or get up in the morning. There are ways, you just need to find them!

Great advice, but I did not do well. It was another instance of me doing worse than I have been, but not as badly as I would have pre nerd-fitness, so not a total fail. But I already feel worse, more sluggish etc.

Tomorrow I am going to doctor to get my back xrays looked at and start on some kind of chiropractic/phys therapy regimen. I think I have been kind of holding out for this. My doctor is right next to my gym, so this will get me down there for sure. Also I can either be assured that it is ok to use my back or if I need to figure out something different to do workouts.

So here is to getting back on track.

ok, things are getting rolling again, did a morning workout on wednesday morning, then yesterday hit the gym for a cardio lifting class and then went for a 2 mile run and then walk with the awesome dog we are dog sitting for the weekend. I went to a thanksgiving buffett. I didn't eat great, but I held back from what I would have done in the past. Today we are having a post thanksgiving party at my house I got some low sugar mixers so I can drink not so bad stuff, and healthy food options, so I should get through the day ok. My sister is flying in in about an hour and we are planning to do a run of the DC monuments (about 4 miles) but it is raining so I might see if she wants to do the gym today and run tomorrow. I have off through monday (wheeee!) so I am going to start food logging again on tuesday, and be mindful until then and work out a lot.

Overate for Thanksgiving. It was lots of fun, I have also been hitting the gym hard and working toward getting my back healthy so doing really well despite the holiday :)

I think I could be doing better with eating, so that is where my focus is going next. I have a week off next month at Christmas, and I am going to visit my parents in Florida so I am looking forward to having a whole week to do outdoor fun workouts, running, swimming, kayaking wheee. Can't wait

Overate for Thanksgiving. It was lots of fun, I have also been hitting the gym hard and working toward getting my back healthy so doing really well despite the holiday :)

I think I could be doing better with eating, so that is where my focus is going next. I have a week off next month at Christmas, and I am going to visit my parents in Florida so I am looking forward to having a whole week to do outdoor fun workouts, running, swimming, kayaking wheee. Can't wait

Hahaha what did you have for thanksgiving? Great job with strengthening your back!

ha! more like what didn't I have for thanksgiving :)

We had an amazing smoked turkey with all the traditional sides-stuffing, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, crescent rolls, brussels sprouts (not sure how traditional that one is) and pumpkin pie. My room mates are rather gourmet at times like this so everything was amazing. I made the cranberry sauce and mashed potatoes.

While some of these sound kind of healthy, I assure you everything was smothered enough in cream, butter, cheese, sausage etc so it was a shadow of it's former healthy self. But it was well worth it, and I kept somewhat in check. Kept desserts and drinks reasonable anyway and went for a run in the morning.

Today has been good on eating, and planning on keeping it that way till Christmas :)

So a bad eating and activity weekend (but productive for christmas shopping and work) has prompted me to get back into a routine of morning circuts and evening stretching. It's my best way to keep consistent. Also actually tracking calories, not just keeping track in my head.

Going to visit parents in FL in 2 weeks for 10 days. I plan to do really well down there and work out for at least an hour a day enjoying some sunshine.

In general, it has not been a great month. But I have a few successes that I am really proud of.

1-Working through injury-my back is feeling 100% again and I am committed to keeping it that way

2-I am awesome at work-My job title is Administrative Assistant, and while my administrative skills kind of suck and maybe I should make that a goal next month, I am doing awesome work outside my job description. Here is the link to the app that I had the idea to do, found a great company for, and guided design for. Execs in my company have been wanting someone in the company to make an app, and I just grabbed that opportunity by the horns and got something out in less than a month, we have improvements to make, but it is out! It's quite fun to play with, please download :) Follow the link or search "pepco" in the itunes store, it is the Pepco Holiday eCard

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pepco-ho ... 69673?mt=8

Hey, brag away! What are these threads for if not listing accomplishments, after all! Thats awesome, way to take initiative and be noticed by the higher-ups. Well done indeed! I wish I could look at it, but no itunes on this comp. I bet it rocks, though.

Also glad to hear you're 100% injury free. Rehabilitation sucks bigtime, but good job slogging through it instead of rushing yourself and going back to square one.

Sign in to follow this