A New Capmaign Has Started

I'm Randy. I'm a Father of two boys, a toddler and a preschooler. I play beach volleyball and brew beer as hobbies. I stumbled onto NF poking around trying to find some suggestions for home body weight exercise.  I'm 6'6" and 220 pounds. I follow an intermittent fasting schedule to help with the calorie deficit I need to be in to lose weight.

Main Quest hit a body fat % of 10-15%. Currently at 26%

I need to find a better way to measure this as I currently just get a reading from my bathroom scale, but I understand those to be rather inaccurate. However as long as it is consistently inaccurate I will use this as a reference point for my goal.

Side Quests

1) Morning Workout - body weight 4 times a week for 30 minutes.

2) Drink alcohol less only one time a week.

3) Sleep at least 7 hours EVERY night.

• Like 4

welcome to the challenge.

Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • Discipline is just choosing between what you want NOW and what you want MOST.
  • If your dreams don't scare you, they are too smallRichard Branson
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

For the two weeks left in this challenge period I'm going to be alternating my workouts between the NF kettlebell workout and the NF advanced body weight workout. I think at the end of two weeks I'm going to looking for something more challenging . My requirements are that I be able to do the workout at home with a pull-up bar, yoga mat, kettle bell, and resistatnce band. I'd be willing to buy a minimal amount of equipment. But would prefer to get by with what I have. 

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Hi there! Welcome and good luck with your goals! 

1 hour ago, theRanDMC said:

There are so many ways to make a programme. My recommendations are therefore quite general. Include exercises that cover the six big movement patterns: a horizontal and vertical press, a horizontal and vertical pull, and a hip hinge and squat type movement. Make things more difficult by increasing the reps, the weights, or by doing a more advanced version of the exercise (google "(exercise name) progression"). For example, if you had an adjustable dumbbell, you could do pull-ups, bent over dumbbell rows, pushups, overhead dumbbell press, kettlebell goblet squats, and some sort of kettlebell deadlift. Those are just some ideas, there are probably loads of alternatives. I'm not so familiar with what you can do with a resistance band, sorry. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

On 11/14/2019 at 1:53 PM, theRanDMC said:

II need to find a better way to measure this as I currently just get a reading from my bathroom scale, but I understand those to be rather inaccurate.

Just use a tape measure: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-track-progress/  If your waist is getting smaller while your shoulders/hips/limbs are getting bigger, that's usually an indication of losing fat and gaining muscle.

On 11/15/2019 at 7:14 AM, theRanDMC said:

My requirements are that I be able to do the workout at home with a pull-up bar, yoga mat, kettle bell, and resistance band. 

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-build-your-own-workout-routine/

https://www.runtastic.com/blog/en/resistance-band-exercises/

https://www.nbcnews.com/better/lifestyle/one-month-resistance-band-workout-you-can-do-anywhere-ncna965461

Eventually I'd recommend investing in some heavy stuff to lift (mostly for squats, they're the most difficult to add resistance to with just bands), but you can also just use a sandbag, a backpack with books in it, old tires, plastic water bottles lashed together, etc. You can also use unilateral (ie. one leg or one arm at a time) exercises to reduce the amount of weight you'll need, if that helps.

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

On 11/14/2019 at 3:53 PM, theRanDMC said:

I need to find a better way to measure this as I currently just get a reading from my bathroom scale, but I understand those to be rather inaccurate. However as long as it is consistently inaccurate I will use this as a reference point for my goal.

I completely agree. I suggest doing it first thing in the morning (after using the bathroom but before eating or drinking anything). I think that gives you the most consistent measurements. But whatever works for you is fine!

On 11/15/2019 at 9:14 AM, theRanDMC said:

For the two weeks left in this challenge period I'm going to be alternating my workouts between the NF kettlebell workout and the NF advanced body weight workout. I think at the end of two weeks I'm going to looking for something more challenging . My requirements are that I be able to do the workout at home with a pull-up bar, yoga mat, kettle bell, and resistatnce band. I'd be willing to buy a minimal amount of equipment. But would prefer to get by with what I have. 

Are you looking to also add some cardio?

On 11/16/2019 at 10:58 PM, theRanDMC said:

TI've never been good at pushups and I've always used my height as an excuse for that.

Same here!

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

There are lots of kettlebell workouts out there. Onnit.com has a bunch. The nice thing about kettlebells is that just about every movement is a compound exercise so it can be very efficient. I’d throw together something like like this:

Warm up that includes halos, glute bridges, Russian twists or some other core work,
3-5 Turkish Get Ups,
Goblet squats or lunges,
Superset Clean & Presses and pull ups or rows,
10X10 KB Swings EMOM.

If you’re the sort that likes daily routine and doesn’t get bored, pick up a copy of Simple & Sinister and do that.
https://www.amazon.com/Kettlebell-Simple-Sinister-Revised-Updated/dp/0989892433/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?keywords=simple+and+sinister+revised&qid=1574139547&sprefix=simple+and&sr=8-1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

10 hours ago, Xena said:

Are you looking to also add some cardio?

I def get my heart rate up with the two circuits I do, but pure cardio... I might consider doing some HIIT on the bike... I play doubles sand volleyball two days a week for 1-3 hours. I consider that a hybrid of cardio and strength, (Lots of jumping and sprinting)

I'm Randy. I'm a Father of two boys, a toddler and a preschooler.

Brings back memories of quite a while ago for me. Makes me tired already!

• Like 1
Spoiler

• “We must all suffer from one of two pains: the pain of discipline or the pain of regret. The difference is discipline weighs ounces while regret weighs tons.”Jim Rohn
  • "Is there anything more worthless than excusesEmperor Kellanved (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "I see no value in modest ambitions." —  Karsa Orlong (Malazan Book of the Fallen)
  • "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and freedom." BF Skinner

10 hours ago, theRanDMC said:

I def get my heart rate up with the two circuits I do, but pure cardio... I might consider doing some HIIT on the bike... I play doubles sand volleyball two days a week for 1-3 hours. I consider that a hybrid of cardio and strength, (Lots of jumping and sprinting)

I forgot about the volleyball. Along with the circuit training you are doing is a really good balance.

A sort of fun app for circuit training is the "7 minute workout"...those are all bodyweight exercises. If you don't want to pay (I'm too cheap), you get the basic workout for free and one semi-random workout each day. It could be fun to see what the free workout is and rotate it in if you want.

Xena, Level 14+ Valkyrie Ranger

January 2017  December 2016

Oct/Nov 2016

I'm Randy. I'm a Father of two boys, a toddler and a preschooler. I play beach volleyball and brew beer as hobbies. I stumbled onto NF poking around trying to find some suggestions for home body weight exercise.  I'm 6'6" and 220 pounds. I follow an intermittent fasting schedule to help with the calorie deficit I need to be in to lose weight.

Side Quests

1) Morning Workout - body weight 4 times a week for 30 minutes.

2) Drink alcohol less only one time a week.

3) Sleep at least 7 hours EVERY night.

So I used a handheld body fat measuring device over the weekend. It said I was 17% body fat. I think that is low and the scale report is high. I'm going to go with the visual scale test. When can see some more definition in my abs I'll be happy. I know what I'm doing is working as I'm down 35 pounds and had to buy new pants and belts. I don't want to go "to far" but is a good feeling knowing I can control my body's physical appearance. 

1) I've hit my 4 day morning workout goal. (F,S,M,T) and played volleyball on my rest day. Tomorrow is Volleyball in the evening and then restart the workouts Thursday morning. 

2) I had a few beers with my wife Saturday night while we watched "Yesterday". Hooray for home brewed beer on tap!

3) making sleep a priority has been very rewarding.  The morning suck less. Last nightwas probably the only night I didn't hot my goal and that was because I kept waking up in the early morning. 

• Like 3

Have you tried the Navy calculators. Not perfect but useful for a trend.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/navy-body-fat

Spoiler

7 hours ago, solidify said:

Have you tried the Navy calculators. Not perfect but useful for a trend.

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/navy-body-fat

Interesting... I just punched in my measurements (based on clothing size I'll use a tape measure later)

Height 6'6"

Neck 17.5"

Waist 34"

BF 9.2%

Highly suspect... I feel like a lot of these "one size fits most" calculators really start to fall apart with tall peopleI feel like at 9% I'd look absolutely shredded. I still have a fistful of fat on top of my abs...

3 hours ago, theRanDMC said:

Interesting... I just punched in my measurements (based on clothing size I'll use a tape measure later)

Height 6'6"

Neck 17.5"

Waist 34"

BF 9.2%

Highly suspect... I feel like a lot of these "one size fits most" calculators really start to fall apart with tall peopleI feel like at 9% I'd look absolutely shredded. I still have a fistful of fat on top of my abs...

Hmmm. Looks like that doesn't work for you. Mine appears to be in a decent range based upon pics of women at various bf%. I'm 5'2" so maybe that makes a difference.

Spoiler

You’re mostly worried about changes, if you just pick one method and stick with it you’ll figure out whether you’re getting leaner or not even if the absolute number is incorrect.

For men the only thing you really need to track is your belly, measured at or just above your belly button.

• Like 1

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

On 11/20/2019 at 1:47 PM, theRanDMC said:

How does these work for you?

https://www.calculator.net/body-fat-calculator.html

https://www.brianmac.co.uk/fatgirth.htm

https://www.active.com/fitness/calculators/bodyfat

Any of them that consider wrist size might be more helpful, since it also considers basic frame size? Honestly, they're all pretty suspect, but you hit the nail on the head when you said that it's about tracking the trend, rather than worrying about the specific number. If you really want a better idea of the real bf%, you could see if there are any facilities in your area that offer DEXA scans.

Are you an all-grain or extract brewery? I like BIAB, personally. :P 

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

6 hours ago, Defining said:

Are you an all-grain or extract brewery? I like BIAB, personally. :P 

I've been an AG brewer for 10 years. Wish I would have made the conversion from extract brewing earlier. Right now I have a NEIPA and an oatmeal stout on tap in the dining room and a Chocolate Milk Sout waiting for one of those to kick.Nothing better than having your own beer on tap!

• Like 1

SO i just had a really disheartening workout... I've been doing the routine described at startbodyweight. I really like how all the progressions are layed out and felt like it was super approachable. I flat out missed on two of the movements on my last workout and it really deflated me.

for thos e unfamiliar with the workout here is a link. http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/start-bodyweight-basic-routine.html

For the pullup progression I'm trying to do eccentric pull-ups with 5 second negatives. Over the weekend my sets were 6,6,5 and it was not easy getting 5 on the last set. I tried to add one more rep on my next workout... I actually couldn't get to 6 on my second set... ugh!

Then later in my workout on the handstand pushup progression (I'm on pike pushups) I was supposed to do 6,5,5 and I got 6 on the first set 4 on the secons and could barely do 1 on the third. I'm gonna go back a rep in each of these progressions... but it really upset me to have such a crummy workout.