Back to Reg. Life (but better)

PinkNinja

I went to Iceland. It was awesome.

We did lots of cool things and several things I've wanted to do since I was a kid, like see whales and hike on a volcano.
My favorite though, I did a for real glacier climb, like crampons, ice ax, harness, and all. I was super proud of myself for it because it was hard and fun and I didn't die. I don't like the pictures of me doing it though, so I never posted any on FB. But I really wanted to show you guys. So here's me propped up in a crevasse making everyone else wait on our guide to come back because I kept getting left in charge while he ran off (literally ran, I nearly had a heart attack the first time he took off across the ice) to scout things for us.

IMG-7828-1.jpg

No, I didn't have on gloves. I got HOT. I was afraid of being cold, so I wore WAY too many clothes. I have on 3 shirts, 2 pairs of pants, a pair of snow pants, and a jacket. It was -13C, and I was taking off layers!

I returned Thursday night. I'm doing a challenge/tick list for the remainder of the challenge time. It's the next post. Sorry. :)

• Like 3

I've got to get back to regular life. My trip was pretty motivating though. I felt in better shape than I was afraid. (Like not dying on the glacier. Or on the volcano. Or in the lava tube)

1. Work 40-45 hours/week. No more.
We normally have 4 uniform staff. We've been operating with 3 since May. One left yesterday for a new job. About 30 minutes after he left, I got a call from my current boss saying that the other has too much comp time and he has to use it all before the end of the year. So he's off pretty much the rest of the year except Christmas, bc by golly I'm not working the entire week of Christmas. So it's basically just me! Super glad I had a break first. I'm going to be firm with my work limits, no working myself to death when it's not my fault they won't fill positions.

2. No more than 2 canned sodas/week.

I missed Dr. pepper while I was gone. So since the plane landed Wednesday, I've had 5. I am stopping now. I drank an Icelandic orange flavored soda called Appelsin while I was there.

3.  Get back to the habit of walking with Turtle at lunch and after work. I was doing well before my trip, and I need to make sure I immediately get back to it.

4. Work on downsizing/organizing.
I can't think of a good objective way to measure this. I will eventually be moving. I started throwing things away and consolidating some of my unpacked boxes before I left. I need to keep that up. I need to reduce my wardrobe as well. And I need to figure out what to do with my "Skinny" clothes. I have an entire trunk of clothes that I fit in when I was running & my tailbone didn't suck. That was like 5 years ago. I think maybe it's time to let them go. They are 4 sizes down. Maybe I could keep one or two absolute favorites and get rid of the rest. If I could find a good place to donate them, I would feel even better about it.

New #4

I'm going to do the first part of the 21 days of calm lesson. I'm not going to do 1  a day, but I will meditate for at least 2 minutes every day. I will do at least 2 lessons a week. It is a super tiny goal, but I need to build this habit. Starting small makes it seem more feasible.

To Do

Unpack

Do laundry
Distribute gifts
Make sure I've got "wrap" for all the Christmas gifts

Finish making the reusable gift tags

Clean out fridge (I should've done that before I left but procrastinated)

Gather debt data (now that I'm back and it's increased)

Get rid of all the boxes sitting around the house

• Like 1

I decided last night "Screw it, I'm moving in".
There is no telling when I will have to move. When I do move, it'll be across the road or 1/4 mile down the road, and I should have plenty of time. I'm sick of half living in my house, I feel like it's affecting me mentally and emotionally.

So, despite the fact that it's not the most efficient or, in some opinions, smart thing to do, I'm going to move into my house!

• Like 1

I'm on track to only put in 42 hours this week (today's my Friday).

I have only had one canned soda so far, since Sunday.

I walked with Turtle both during lunch and after work, as well as a short walk later in the evening on Sunday & Monday. Saturday, I worked late, so I walked him before work and on my dinner break.

I'm changing number 4. I'm going to do the first part of the 21 days of calm lesson. I'm not going to do 1  a day, but I will meditate for at least 2 minutes every day, and I will do at least 2 lessons a week. It is a super tiny goal, but I need to build this habit. Starting small makes it seem more feasible.

I've also been taking advantage of the time difference to get up earlier. I've been eating breakfast before work, with time to spare. It's only been 5 days of it, but I feel like I'm getting into a better morning routine.

To Do

Unpack (from trip) (1/2)

Do laundry
Distribute gifts  (I'll finish this Sunday at our family's Thanksgiving)

Clean out fridge (I should've done that before I left but procrastinated) (1/2)

Gather debt data (now that I'm back and it's increased) (info gathered. It's not quite as scary as I thought, and now I need to work on the plan.)

Get rid of all the boxes sitting around the house   All empty boxes are gone as of Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1

Welcome back!  Your trip to Iceland sounds awesome.

I like your goals for getting back to real life and reinforcing good habits. Especially not working unpaid overtime just because your office is shorthanded. You could even document the things that are being deferred to help your boss justify filling the vacant position.

I think you are making the right choice to move into your house. Maybe flatten the empty boxes and put them in storage because you know you'll be moving again in the foreseeable future. At least you can relax into your space for as long as you are there. I know it would bug me not to have my things accessible.

Level 62  Viking paladin

My current challenge   Battle log 

19 hours ago, Kishi said:

Way to roll with the punches as far as the challenge goes!

Also, everyone seems to love to go to Iceland. Huh. I'll have to make an epic goal of that, I reckon.

Thanks.

I wanted to go to Iceland because my epic goals included climbing a glacier, climbing a volcano, going whale watching, stand on a tectonic divide, see Northern Lights, and a few others. Iceland is the only place in the world where the tectonic plate can be observed above sea level. (A fact I did NOT know when I made my list.. lol) Plus it had glaciers and volcanos. So it was a good stop for me.

If you want to go, I hope you get to. I almost still can't believe I did.

• Like 2
On 11/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mistr said:

I like your goals for getting back to real life and reinforcing good habits. Especially not working unpaid overtime just because your office is shorthanded. You could even document the things that are being deferred to help your boss justify filling the vacant position.

I've been documenting some, but they know. They just don't care. They haven't hired anyone because it's saving lots of money, especially when they know everything will still get done. I was the only person that applied for it when they initially advertised it. So why promote me & pay me more when they can put it off? :(I thought about documenting how that vacant position is affecting the park & guest experience, but when I did, it makes me feel like I'm just documenting my shortcomings and they'll just be like "Well why didn't you handle it better?"  What makes me feel really bad is that it's been so long since my boss retired, that now the local community has rumors about why they haven't hired me or anyone to take his place. Apparently, it's going around that I did something wrong, with lots of variations, including us being investigated for stealing. :apologetic:

On 11/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, Mistr said:

I think you are making the right choice to move into your house. Maybe flatten the empty boxes and put them in storage because you know you'll be moving again in the foreseeable future. At least you can relax into your space for as long as you are there. I know it would bug me not to have my things accessible.

Thanks. I haven't unpacked much yet, but what I have started cleaning and putting up is making me feel better already. I got my air fryer out. I forgot how awesome it was! Sweet potato fries galore! lol And there's stuff just sitting on shelves and on the floor that belongs on the walls. I started taking care of that, and it has made me feel better, too.

I'll definitely heed your advice about hanging onto the boxes. I was getting carried away with getting rid of things and have already thrown a few out. heh oops

• Like 1

I'm doing well on the walking.
I've stuck with the meditating. I need it. I have 2 minutes or more every day, and I completed two of the Calm lessons. I think I could up the 2 minute goal but allow it to be broken up. I find myself doing it at work periodically. Or I'm just holding my breath trying to not scream. That's been happening too.
I've not been physically at work too much, but  I'm carrying work with me everywhere I go. I need to learn to let it go when I'm not there. <this is me not using a Frozen gif :P >

To Do

Unpack (from trip) (1/2)

Do laundry
Distribute gifts  (I'll finish this Sunday at our family's Thanksgiving)

Clean out fridge (I should've done that before I left but procrastinated)

Gather debt data (now that I'm back and it's increased) (info gathered. It's not quite as scary as I thought, and now I need to work on the plan.)

Get rid of all the boxes sitting around the house   All empty boxes are gone as of Sunday afternoon.

• Like 1