• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

Xena reflects and regroups

I'm not exactly sure what I'll do during this challenge, but here's what I'm thinking:

• Run 75 miles (or some similar running goal)
  • Work on making my week more manageable. Things tend to get more chaotic as the week goes on. I'm not exactly sure what to do about it...maybe a "reset" night. Maybe a morning with no running and some time to re-organize myself. Maybe a list of meals that I can make easily without a recipe. I'll come up with some kind of goal toward this.
  • A holiday gift to myself. I'm going to put together a draft of my promotion file. It will be challenging to carve out the time for this, but I deserve it (at least the time...I'll let other people worry about whether I deserve the promotion).

image.png

• Like 14

31 minutes ago, Xena said:

Run 75 miles (or some similar running goal)

I still aspire to get to this level...

following for running...and because that kitten pic is way too cute!

• Like 2

Have thought about the mid-week problem. Wednesday feels like it would be an obvious "re-set" day, but I have yoga on Wednesday nights (that's just for a couple more weeks). Tuesday I often go out for a drink with a friend. By Thursday, things feel like they have already gone to hell.

I'm gonna beg out of "Taco Tuesday" for the next couple of weeks. I've got a lot going on and just don't want more right now. I'll try to make some other time with my friend. Tuesday I'll try to set myself up for the rest of the week. I'm feeling guilty about it already. This is why I get stressed out...I'm going to write "evening at home" on my calendar so I know that I have "plans" and don't make more.

I'm also going to tell my coach that I want one weekday off per week through at least mid-January. The plan would be to use it on Thursday, but it just gives me a little more flexibility in my week overall.

• Like 10

16 hours ago, Xena said:

Tuesday I'll try to set myself up for the rest of the week. I'm feeling guilty about it already. This is why I get stressed out...I'm going to write "evening at home" on my calendar so I know that I have "plans" and don't make more.

Taking time for yourself is so important.  I'm sure your friend would understand and will be willing to be flexible.

Happy challenge!!

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Xena said:

Tuesday I'll try to set myself up for the rest of the week. I'm feeling guilty about it already. This is why I get stressed out...I'm going to write "evening at home" on my calendar so I know that I have "plans" and don't make more.

Taking time for yourself is also a thing we have to do so we don't go crazy.

• Like 2

On 11/27/2019 at 7:46 AM, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following. I think you deserve both the time and the promotion.

On 11/27/2019 at 9:20 AM, DarK_RaideR said:

Quoted for emphasis

Double Quoted for extra emphasis. I am SO extra

• Like 5

On 12/1/2019 at 1:14 PM, Xena said:

I'm gonna beg out of "Taco Tuesday" for the next couple of weeks. I've got a lot going on and just don't want more right now. I'll try to make some other time with my friend. Tuesday I'll try to set myself up for the rest of the week. I'm feeling guilty about it already. This is why I get stressed out...I'm going to write "evening at home" on my calendar so I know that I have "plans" and don't make more.

I'm also going to tell my coach that I want one weekday off per week through at least mid-January. The plan would be to use it on Thursday, but it just gives me a little more flexibility in my week overall.

I hear you on this. I have Tuesday as my "nothing scheduled" week night. On good weeks that gives me some down time at home. More often than not I need that time to cook or run errands. I certainly find that things start to slide into chaos if I don't have this time.

Getting together with friends is great, but once a week is a lot. Every other week or so is more sustainable. Unless you can talk your friend into running with you, since you do that every day. :devilish:

I agree that having a day off in your training plan is a good idea. That gives you some flexibility to deal with things that come up. You can do a workout if you have the time, but don't have to feel guilty if you don't.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mistr said:

Getting together with friends is great, but once a week is a lot. Every other week or so is more sustainable. Unless you can talk your friend into running with you, since you do that every day.

We used to run together, but she has a heart condition. More recently, we would do an organized group run together...she would walk, I would run, and we would meet together after for a drink. That's a great model! But now the heart condition has progressed to the point that she needs a valve transplant within the next couple of months. So I really do plan to make time for her, but I'll have to be a little smarter about when that time is.

And she is a very understanding non-demanding friend. We'll figure it  out. It's more that I have to figure out what I personally want to do, so I can communicate it to other people.

Today was pretty good. 2 miles easy and some stretching. Did some big-picture planning at work, which is nice. Getting ready for some work travel that should be low-stress and interesting. Hoping to do at least a little thinking about the promotion file while traveling.

• Like 8

If you're looking for cheap and delicious recipes, I highly recommend the site https://www.budgetbytes.com/

It's full of simple recipes with a budget in mind, that are actually pretty good for you as well.

Also, if you're looking for super easy recipes, 2 words:  Crock pot.  It's literally set and forget.  Just throw in some boneless chicken breasts, cover them in salsa, 8 hours on low.  Shred with 2 forks, and boom.  You got a hot meal, perfect for adding to burritos.  There are so many recipes out there like that.  Nothing beats coming home to an already cooked hot meal.  It's literally set and forget.

• Like 3

On 12/2/2019 at 7:44 PM, GoodDoug said:

I really like this challenge. It sounds challenging for you, but doable.

Thanks Doug! The goals are kind of different than usual, which seemed like a good idea for this time of year. We'll see how it goes.

22 hours ago, Bob the Bardbarian said:

If you're looking for cheap and delicious recipes, I highly recommend the site https://www.budgetbytes.com/

It's full of simple recipes with a budget in mind, that are actually pretty good for you as well.

Also, if you're looking for super easy recipes, 2 words:  Crock pot.  It's literally set and forget.  Just throw in some boneless chicken breasts, cover them in salsa, 8 hours on low.  Shred with 2 forks, and boom.  You got a hot meal, perfect for adding to burritos.  There are so many recipes out there like that.  Nothing beats coming home to an already cooked hot meal.  It's literally set and forget.

Thanks Bob! I'll check out the site. I've gone mostly pescetarian for the past ~year+. I've done pretty well with it, but it's meant I don't have as big a list of things I can make without thinking about it. But seriously it's not that hard. I can do these things without thinking too hard (just reminding myself):

Pasta with mushrooms and/or tomato sauce (I love the Barilla Protein Plus pasta)

Rice and black beans (ideally with some combo of onion, cheese, avocado, salsa, cilantro)

Curried lentils and rice (usually I saute some onion before cooking the lentils, throw in a can of tomatoes, maybe a chili...and because I oddly like it, top with a bit of cheese)

Frozen pizza (not the best, but if it saves me some stress it's fine to go this route)

Fried rice (requires planning ahead to have some precooked rice but otherwise not hard).

I think I was just getting into a bit of a crunch...often going out on Tues, then yoga Wed, then sometimes ending up with other social things on Thurs. I can't do all 3 in a week!

20 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Following! 

Yay! You've done the GMB programs right? I'm not sure if I posted it on this thread, but I recently started Focused Flexibility. I like it so far.

18 hours ago, deftona said:

Here to follow!

Hello there!

Today was a day. Traveled all day, starting with an early morning and gnarly drive to the airport. Very happy to be chilling in my hotel room.

I'm in Austin! It's blissfully warm here. And no sleet in sight.

Didn't get in any running, but looking forward to stretching. Will run tomorrow morning before my meetings 🙂

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Xena said:

I've gone mostly pescetarian for the past ~year+

Bonus points for this since, as I recall, your line of work is on marine biology.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You're only an hour and a half away from me up there in Austin. How long are you staying? 

Just until Friday, but I'll be back in early January. I meant to look at a map before heading off on this venture...didn't really realize how close I was until I ended up next to someone from San Antonio this morning. I'll drop you a PM about the January trip.

19 hours ago, DarK_RaideR said:

Bonus points for this since, as I recall, your line of work is on marine biology.

I'm still trying to decide if that is weird or not. I cut out other kinds of meat partly because of environmental sustainability and partly because I felt bad for the animals. Maybe I should be more sympathetic to the marine animals. On the other hand, I spend enough of my life trying to take care of those little buggers in various ways. They owe me! 😉

[My bigger plan it to move toward being more conscientious about the types of seafood I eat. I'm just not all the way to where I would like to be yet].

------------

I did my stretches last night, so I'm up to a 4-day streak. One of the stretches I picked to focus on is a modified pigeon pose (big picture under spoiler). This version is different from what I'm used to, and doesn't feel like it is really working my outer hips much (which is what I thought I wanted to work on). I"m going to re-watch the GMB video and see if there are adjustments I should be making within this form. Otherwise, I'm going to stick with it for the two weeks and see....maybe it's doing something I didn't know I needed. I'm guessing I'll switch to a different exercise or a more traditional version of this pose after the two weeks are up.

image.png

This morning my hotel room really wanted me to wake up at 5 am. All the lights flipped on. When I pressed the magic "All on/off" button, they turned off for a few minutes, but came back on. I guess that was like the "snooze button". I still need to figure out how to completely turn off the alarm. I did get up in time to run and plan to do so again tomorrow.

• Like 7

25 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

It’s not weird until you’re eating the critters that happen to be in your lab.

That's what the control group is for!

• Haha 3

9 hours ago, Xena said:

I'm still trying to decide if that is weird or not. I cut out other kinds of meat partly because of environmental sustainability and partly because I felt bad for the animals. Maybe I should be more sympathetic to the marine animals. On the other hand, I spend enough of my life trying to take care of those little buggers in various ways. They owe me! 😉

I think as long as you skip lobster, crab and all that other stuff that's supposed to be cooked while still alive you should be fine.

• Like 1

On 12/3/2019 at 10:01 PM, Xena said:

Yay! You've done the GMB programs right? I'm not sure if I posted it on this thread, but I recently started Focused Flexibility. I like it so far.

Yes, I have! Focused Flexibility wasn't a great fit for me, but I like their programs in general. I felt like I wasn't doing the stretches right, or maybe I just didn't like them as much as other forms of stretching?

13 hours ago, Xena said:

That's what the control group is for!

Yep. When I was in grad school I was immunizing chickens for making antibodies. We had this great set-up where the poultry barn staff would collect the eggs, mark them with the date and the chicken's number and put them in boxes in a cold room. I just had to test them every week or so to see if the chickens had started making my target antibodies. For the first few weeks I got to take home lots of eggs that I had verified were perfectly normal. After that I made angel food cake using all the egg whites (because antibodies are in the yolks).

• Like 2