Contender to couch potato.

Ok I didn't go full couch potato but pretty close, it has been about 6 months of near dormant fitness compared to my normal activity level...
I could not go to the gym, even lifting 45's onto the bench press hurt my groin so I stopped... I could not go to yoga for my back as 90% of the movements hurt my groin so I stopped... I could not build things in my garage because the level of activity hurt so I stopped... I played more Assassins Creed, I re-discovered and re-beat Legend of Zelda Ocarina of time on the N64 (hadn't played that in over 10 years) and now my kids are obsessed with the story...

INJURY_
I injured my left groin muscle end of May while competing for an event called Alpha Warrior. The qualification criteria is different each year and this year it included "thrusters" (squat with overhead press). It was a timed qualifier and that's where I went wrong... I never lift anything fast (because its a bad idea) but on this day I did in hopes of qualifying, something didn't feel right but adrenaline and heart pounding I pressed on and didn't feel the consequence until the next day when I realized I could no longer do weighted squats. My only attempt resulted in dropping the bar onto the spotters with pain radiating around my groin and hip area.
STRUGGLE_
I tried to see if it would resolve with rest but work was demanding I be active and the pain only got worse eventually even when I wasn't moving, feeling gassy hurt and sometimes bowel movements were painful and more odd things seemed to trigger pain... By the end of June I had seen doctor, received  a medical restriction and this helped with work. We examined the area externally and with ultrasound to rule out a hernia and then concluded it was a pulled/torn muscle bed in the groin. This type of injury to its particular location mimics other symptoms of other problems (won't bore you with them all here) but it was undoubtedly muscular only.
RECOVERY_
As I took it easier at work my ambient pain levels reduced (sitting doing nothing was sometimes painless). In July/August work sent me to Dayton, Ohio (conference type stuff). This provided lots of rest (except for the stairs) and in my spare time away from home I used the hotel pool to walk in water and also test my range of motion without straining. I used the hot tub to warm up first and again after to reax from my movements. By the end of a week my range of motion had increased almost to normal and my pain was much more manageable. Returning home I did the same at the community pool adding in "weightless" squats, lunges, side lunges and grapevines. Eventually I could could also swim without pain. But I don't live in the water and healing was taking too long (September at this point) so off to physical therapy. PT DR said I was doing good things but had more for me. After some very uncomfortable moving and bending he assembled a supplement to add to what I was doing. Doing it felt like a set back a first because the muscle had healed itself into kind of a "knot" (this is common) and moving all the extra directions aggravated that knot. But slowly those new things began to feel like they were helping.
REBUILD_
October was full of stretching and moving and now in November I have started a 12-week plan to slowly regain my strength, there is still some discomfort but nothing limiting as long as I don't over do it and I am able to do partial sessions of yoga weekly. By the end of this plan I should hope to be able to run 1.5 miles without pain, attend normal yoga 3x a week and squat a wimpy 135lbs. 135 is close to 1/3 of what I used to lift pre- injury but I can't afford re-injury so this agonizingly slow progression rate is my determined way forward. By March I have to be able to run and exercise among my peers ("easy stuff") with no medical restrictions or things will get complicated for me real quick! 😓

Wow, sorry that was much longer than I thought. I've been a been going stir crazy at times not being able to do things and will probably feel even worse as I start going back to the gym because I will be holding back A LOT...
I need strength to move forward, wisdom to know limits and patience to not get head of myself...

• Like 6

I hit it too hard on Friday. After my 3/4 mile jog I made up for the yoga session I missed that day by doing it on my own. GOOD! I should have stopped there but I was inspired by fellow lifters to jump into bar-only squats and deadlifts. I knew better and did it anyway :( It felt fine in the moment but that evening and through the weekend it was uncomfortable.
Yesterday was my first day of 1 mile jog. The sun was warm but fading and the wind was cold. I was impatient and ended up running my last lap. I shouldn't be stretching my stride that far yet and I need to ease into it OOPS. I'm feeling it today, it hurts a little more than this weekend.

I'm doing nothing the rest of the week. A small set back to rest is better than having a big set back later on. Next monday I will start again at the 1 mile mark.

• Like 2

I almost went the whole week taking it easy... Yesterday/Saturday I had pull 200lb transmission. Once it was on the ground I split it into two 100lb pieces so I could put it on the cart and then pick it up into my vehicle. Not supposed to lift that much for at least another 4 weeks... It did not hurt during the lift but got uncomfortable on the drive home and began to hurt when I got home and started moving around again. At least I'll have help unloading it once the rebuild bench is ready.

79171655_2823620201009331_3818951857221402624_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_eui2=AeGme0Pdu-ZjHAtaCOLfPxJDzVk4aKj-lQBoYnqsoVy7BZMnCpLcN4U35jWJPY5aaS4s5VE5k2K3AUpIL1BmaRQ8UxyCpHoDO-xs3DUpOQmJIA&_nc_ohc=0-DxOXOvKH0AQkimk02p50-ZqP-3KmekyJtMNO6tSkm3bpmozcvhFx28g&_nc_ht=scontent-lax3-2.xx&oh=a2ccb209aebe3b6f2cb59e3460282839&oe=5E6AFE12

• Like 1

Healing takes time. I know you've heard that already, & you probably want to throw me off the nearest building...but I'm speaking from experience. Don't let your impatience for action lead you into actions that could set back recovery.

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

On 12/18/2019 at 9:56 AM, fitnessgurl said:

I know you've heard that already, & you probably want to throw me off the nearest building...

ON the contrary! Thank you for your support. :)
My last injury of this scale took a year. Unfortunately I do not have a year this time...
It's frustrating but I am trying to take it slow, when the deadline hits I'd rather be weak than broken.

• Like 2

NEW YEAR, new update, new car and possibly new outlook.

For 2020 I'm going to try and shed some attachment, a lot of it is incomplete projects, sentiment or both. The biggest one being my dads truck, which I've known for 31 years as he bought it new in Dec 1989. Dad sounds more ok with it than I am; I guess that's because his parting happened when I took it 15 years ago.
Until last week my newest car was a 1993 Pathfinder. It has been a solid reliable centerpiece in out family travels for the last 10 years but we just bought a 2015 Forester I hope it serves us well.

Ok, back on topic! Today I did yoga and I lasted the full hour session. This is a good sign for my recovery, previously I was stopping about half way mark managing my comfort level. Pigeon pose was a little uncomfortable in the groin injury but I was able to do it all the way and everything else felt like a non-issue. The cold has been a limiting factor as I tighten up too much so I have not been running like I should. Yeah, my extended rest period is now been way too extended BUT on days that I have warm all day (indoor cozy) I have been doing some in-home exercise and that seems to be going well. I foresee better conditions soon so I should be able to pick up at the 1-mile distance again soon.

Happy new year, I don't have to start out "strong" but if I don't taper off then hopefully I can get back to "strong".

• Like 2

I made the end of last week for me. Things have been hectic all month, work has been consuming me and the family has been passing around a fever. BUT I got back into the gym Thursday and lasted a full hour of yoga on Friday. For the gym I made a whole mile plus side step squats across the floor with a 15lb kettlebell among a few other movements and stretches that target my bad area. I could feel some extra tension but there was zero discomfort. That's really good. I feel Like a could jump to the end (1.5miles) and just start working on speed but I probably shouldn't.
Next week it's imperative that I get back into routine. It's now crunch time and I am behind schedule but the extra rest time may have been beneficial. Monday I'll step up to 1.5 miles and try to keep it a jog not a full on run. I only need a slow 7mph minimum pace to make passing marks on my 1.5 test. Despite everything I have going on this week hope to Run 2-3 days and make 2 yoga sessions.

• Like 3

Worked through my lunch and gym time today so no yoga no gym before 4pm...
I came home to a quiet home which meant freedom for my projects, there were 2 packages on the porch and 3 more on my desk BUT all that waited because
 my best friend held me accountable. 🐕 I said it once and he would not leave me alone until we did it.
image.png.0a6c9afb727cb2e63e21badd5c25ade5.png
 I'm not beating myself up, but this is not fast enough. But it does serve as a starting point. I will try stretching out my stride a little bit more on my next jog but if that is not enough I may have to add some running into my jog to get my time down enough. 
image.png.1979bebee9ce0d32ff98bc3af899dc25.png
Screenshots from a test calculator I have on my phone.  I'm really not worried about pushups and situps I just punch in a minimum number that I think I would do if I was having a bad day(I did better on both on thursday). If my sprained wrist is not healed by the time I test then I will do fist pushups, they are slower but they do not cause any pain. I no longer have any pain doing situps so I will probably kick ass on those too.

• Like 2

Too cold to run outside but I got a on a treadmill. This was a slow run the whole time and while the time on the treadmill looks much better, it's not a guarantee that I'll to the same around a track. HOWEVER this was a run not a jog and THAT IS PROGRESS. I've also come to the realization that my slowest run is less stretch of the groin muscle than my fastest jog. (shorter faster steps) So this is my way forward. I hit the leg group pretty hard today (hard compared to the last 6 months), other stuff after the run. Tomorrow will tell me if I over did it. 
image.thumb.png.cb5d7e22c691a391393d6f5d5081532f.png

• Like 3
2 hours ago, "Jake" said:

I carefully got back into tire flipping yesterday. A little tender but today I feel alright, just gotta stretch it some.

Yay! Sounds like you're fairly mended if you can start doing stuff like that again. Definitely a good idea to stretch out the muscles extra well the next day, maybe do some foam-rolling

• Like 2

Current Challenge: Developing Roots

Lol foam rolling. I tried that in physical therapy, bottle caps, golf balls and knuckles are all that can reach the area that needs worked. But yes! Indeed I will.( leaning a bottle into it now while I'm typing)
I certainly can't fip at full speed or any long distance. A few weeks ago I tried the tire and wasn't ready. It's a landmark but not a finish line.
Coming from 400 lb tires (one pictured is about 220) and 315 squats I still have a long way to go to get back there. After I pass this PT test I will turn my focus to the weights SLOWLY

• Like 2
  • Wow 1