• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sarakingdom

Sara Kingdom's Annual Hogswatch Challenge

tumblr_lwfgkqehZv1qc4fvdo1_r1_400.jpg

This time around, I have a simple three part challenge.

SLEEP

There has to be something in the stocking that makes a noise. Otherwise, what is 4:30 A.M. for?

I need to up my sleep game so that the Hogfather will come.

I'm working very hard to reframe sleep as less of an optional thing that makes me lose work time, and more of a combination of necessary recovery time and enjoyable recreation. Other rest, recovery, and recharging activities will count, and possibly other things starting with R.

WORK

Assassins were never employed. They were engaged, or retained or commissioned, but never employed. Only servants were employed.

Good work habits. So we will have something to talk about when it's time for awkward smalltalk around the Hogswatch tree.

I need to check my habits and routines to make sure I have enough structure to work when I need to and stop when I need to, and trust myself to make good time use decisions. I think I've been slipping lately, so it's time for a tune-up.

PLAY

Somewhere almost out of hearing, children were at play. It was always a pleasant, lulling sound. Always provided, of course, you couldn’t hear the actual words.

What better time than the season of toys to make sure I'm remembering to have fun as well as do all the obligatory stuff?

This has definitely been slipping. I've been doing a fair amount of trying to watch the basic self-care, but not so good about actually having any fun. And lately I've been getting some alarm bells about that. At some point, that becomes a bad self-care choice, and not just being busy. I've been focused enough on deadlines and whatever lately that I've just been getting very narrow-focus; it's making my work less good and my relaxation time less relaxing. So I need to own my play.

shs0156a.gif

I'm not setting specific habit goals, because part of this challenge is rolling with changing circumstances and mindfulness of all my choices. Instead, I'll be trying to hit all three areas equally with good choices every day, and observe my good and bad choices so that I'm more aware of them when I'm making them.

Right. Those are my challenge goals.

tumblr_nyy48bQSGD1txmiiwo1_500.gif

qJU2K.gif

• Like 15

Sleep and play sound awesome. Maybe sleep can be reframed as a shimmering elixir of stamina/magicka restoration that you need for the following day's moves? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

*glingle glingle*

Here for pork pies. 

I keep threatening to make gluten-free pork pies. They won't be the real thing, but, come on, pork pies.

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Sleep and play sound awesome. Maybe sleep can be reframed as a shimmering elixir of stamina/magicka restoration that you need for the following day's moves? 

Man, I'm working on it. The more sleep deficit I run, the tougher things get. It's hard to take change the way you actually think about it, though. It's a process, I guess you just gotta do the process.

8 hours ago, WhiteGhost said:

And sherry!

And, uh, turnips...

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Don't forget Jam tomorrow!

And wow-wow sauce.

11 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

I had to actively try and make sure I have leisure time without all the work I have to do looming over my head during it. It still takes a lot of work.

Yeah, my guess is that I'm losing time to relaxation that isn't very relaxing, and therefore accomplishes nothing.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sarakingdom said:

Yeah, my guess is that I'm losing time to relaxation that isn't very relaxing, and therefore accomplishes nothing.

Yes, I do this when I'm overstressed. I sit at the kitchen table and read the junk mail, or play games on my phone. I know I will feel much better if I go and knit a few rows on my project, or do some spinning. The problem is worse when I don't feel like I have enough time to do the fun projects, so I waste even more time avoiding the chores I don't want to do. :P 

• Like 2

21nnlj.jpg

Week 0 Day 2

Naughty

• Sleep: stayed up too late for what seemed like a Very Good Reason, and it only went downhill from there

Nice

• Sleep: starting sleep deficit of 5 hours
  • Work: starting a fresh bullet journal

I'm a bit of a bullet journal hipster; I used them before they were cool, and got put off when they were discovered by the scrapbooking and washi tape crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my productivity scene. But there's some value in pushing that organization on myself, and in having to do it by hand. Mine looks more like a lab book than anything, but whatever.

I do need to keep reminding myself, never go to bed after midnight. It never ends well. Even if it seems like the right choice, it probably isn't.

• Like 6

yeah, I'm Totally with you on Midnight.

somehow after midnight you just get; why does it matter if I stay up another hour.

and somewhere around 2-3am; if I can push myself through it- I'll find myself feeling more awake.

TheDangersofSleepDeprivation_5141de3623a

https://visual.ly/community/infographic/health/dangers-sleep-deprivation

so Don't defy your bodies sense of timing. it Needs its Sleep!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Don't defy your bodies sense of timing. it Needs its Sleep! 

Aaaargh, your infographic! Even knowing that stuff, it's hard. And I just make bad sleep choices after a certain point.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sarakingdom said:

Aaaargh, your infographic! Even knowing that stuff, it's hard. And I just make bad sleep choices after a certain point.

I don't know about you, but at some point of being tired my brain just gets contrary. I've failed my saving throw to go to bed and my chances of recovery are slim. I do have back-up - Dumbledore normally comes to bed after I do and he will rescue me if I'm caught in a book.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Mistr said:

I don't know about you, but at some point of being tired my brain just gets contrary. I've failed my saving throw to go to bed and my chances of recovery are slim. I do have back-up - Dumbledore normally comes to bed after I do and he will rescue me if I'm caught in a book.

Mine gets a bit "I'll just hang on and finish this thing", regardless of how silly said thing might be. And the more tired i am, the harder to interrupt that thought process is.

• Like 3

Having given it some thought, today's play goals will be some hot chocolate to go with our snow, and doing some writing on a story for a friend.

Play goals are hard. I should also slip in some meditation and a nap, if there's time, but that's classic "self-care is not the same as play", so those would both be forms of rest.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, TGP said:

https://visual.ly/community/infographic/health/dangers-sleep-deprivation

so Don't defy your bodies sense of timing. it Needs its Sleep!

Oh shirt. I didn't know all of that stuff. 

5 hours ago, Mistr said:

Dumbledore normally comes to bed after I do and he will rescue me if I'm caught in a book.

Wait. Is Dumbledore a man, a cat, or a fictional wizard?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Harriet said:

Wait. Is Dumbledore a man, a cat, or a fictional wizard?

All of those are possible. In this case Dumbledore is a man and my spouse.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 12/3/2019 at 6:35 PM, sarakingdom said:

Mine gets a bit "I'll just hang on and finish this thing", regardless of how silly said thing might be. And the more tired i am, the harder to interrupt that thought process is.

*realises she is literally doing this right now*  *looks at clock*  Dammit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Things my past self did well:

• Did not leave the apartment a total tip. It's not perfect, but it's enough to work with.
  • Left me enough food to make a few meals with, and also left me a few servings of leftovers. All the basics.
  • Left seedlings in the space garden that are now large Asian greens and some arugula and cilantro and stuff. Enough for making meals.
  • Like 3

Week 0 Day 3

Naughty

1. Sleep: stayed up too late for what seemed like a Very Good Reason, and it only went downhill from there 

Nice

1. Sleep: starting sleep deficit of 5 hours
  2. Work: started a fresh bullet journal
  3. Sleep: took naps when I needed them
  4. Work: a pass for a travel day

I might make tonight a really early bedtime. Travel is tough. I need rest. I need to hydrate more first.

• Like 3

On 12/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, Terra said:

Play is very important!!!  

I'll figure it out eventually. I'm apparently no longer good at playing.

On 12/3/2019 at 4:53 PM, Terra said:

How is your writing going today?

Uh, any day now... :)

• Like 1