Aquarii: The spirit is willing, but the body is weak

Hey everyone! To those who frequent my challenges, welcome back! To those who are new, welcome to my crazy rantings. Feel free to introduce yourself, I love meeting new people.

I was looking over my New Year's goals from 2019. Many of them I at least attempted at some point this year. Some I realized just were not for me, others I just didn't prioritize, some I stuck to all year, and some I started and stopped throughout the year but am finally getting them to stick.

I noticed that most of the weightier of my goals, the ones that should have been highest priority and were of most value to me were the ones that actually received the least priority. In other words, I prioritized the easy stuff that didn't matter as much instead of focusing on the things that would really propel me toward where I want to be. One of those things is fitness. I have put going to the gym on my list of goals every year, and every year I make very little progress towards that goal. It is not for lack of interest. I have gone to the gym, I know a good workout session feels good, I WANT to be a person who goes to the gym, but I always have a (rather pathetic) excuse not to go. 

I have a lot of life goals that I want to work on next year, and I don't want to be fighting tooth and nail with a gym habit, so my goal is to use December to at least start to get into the swing of things so that by the time New Year's hits, I don't have to focus as much energy on just convincing myself to go. I also want to continue solidifying some recently introduced habits (twice-daily skincare routine, twice-daily teeth brushing routine, daily flossing routine, intermittent fasting) so they are more secure before I add new resolutions in January. The recently introduced habits all had great streaks last challenge, so they are definitely getting closer to where I want them, but I am not yet ready to take the focus off of them. And finally, I want to finish up my reading goals for the year.

Challenge Goals:

14:10 Intermittent Fasting during the workweek (attempt on weekends and during holiday travels, but not required)

Gym 

• Week Zero: Get a gym membership at pre-selected local gym and workout at least once
  • Week One: Get to the gym at least twice for weight training

Reading - Finish last book to hit my goal of 30 books in a year (complete)

Daily Routines

• 2x Skincare
  • 2x Brushing Teeth
  • 1x Flossing

Let's finish this year out strong!!

• Like 13

Chaotic-Neutral, Elven Bladesinger (Apprentice): Level 1

Current Stats: STR 11 || DEX 11 || CON 12 || INT 15 || WIS 15 || CHA 12

Goal Stats: STR 14 || DEX 17+ || CON 14 || INT 18+ || WIS 18+ || CHA 14

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

40 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

Hey everyone! To those who frequent my challenges, welcome back! To those who are new, welcome to my crazy rantings. Feel free to introduce yourself, I love meeting new people.

HI!!!! What kind of stuff do you do at the gym? I couldn't get started until I found something I liked (not cardio. definitely not cardio). 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

You can absorb me! - Harriet the Contextless Guru

I'm here to follow!  Hopefully pop up a bit more often!!

• Like 1

“And now that you don’t have to be perfect, you can be good.” John Steinbeck

“Do I dare disturb the universe?” – T.S. Eliot

“You wanna fly, you got to give up the shit that weighs you down.” – Toni Morrison

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us" JRR Tolkien

Human Bard: CON 2, WIS 5, INT 1, CHA 2

Current Challenge: Nova Levels Up (and maybe doesn't abandon a challenge...)

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

HI!!!! What kind of stuff do you do at the gym? I couldn't get started until I found something I liked (not cardio. definitely not cardio). 

Hello :) Ummm, it has been a little while since getting to a full gym, but I have done a variety of stuff in the past. I don't mind indoor cardio if it is part of a routine (I don't care for a routine exclusively focused on cardio) and I can go at my own pace. There are forms of cardio I have always enjoyed, such as outdoor biking, hiking, and swimming, but in terms of like treadmills and stuff, I don't mind doing it for 10-15 min, but then I am bored. I like bodyweight training, I like free weight training, I like training on the machines. Those will be my primary focus, as my primary goal is to put on some muscle. 

1 hour ago, Novaurora said:

I'm here to follow!  Hopefully pop up a bit more often!!

Nova!! Glad to see you back :)

• Like 3

"To dare is to lose one's footing momentarily; to not dare is to lose one's self". - Søren Kierkegaard

HI! So nice to meet you.

I don't have a gym membership, but I do run on and off and have a home routine. What I've figured out is diminishing the effort is takes before going. For me that means placing my mat and my gym clothes in a visible place, ready to go. The less steps you have, the more easily you can 'push' and just do it. Especially if the gym is far.

• Like 1

"... However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." -  Stanley Kubrick

"Difficult for myself? Agent... I was born difficult for myself." - Clint Barton

Challenges:  #1 #2 (mini) #3 (mini) #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21

My Fitness Pal - inactive

3 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I like free weight training, I like training on the machines. Those will be my primary focus, as my primary goal is to put on some muscle. 

Yessss! Lifting for the win! 

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the Viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the Artist

4 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

HI! So nice to meet you.

I don't have a gym membership, but I do run on and off and have a home routine. What I've figured out is diminishing the effort is takes before going. For me that means placing my mat and my gym clothes in a visible place, ready to go. The less steps you have, the more easily you can 'push' and just do it. Especially if the gym is far.

Nice to meet you too! I have been trying to come up with ideas for diminishing effort. Thankfully the gym I have chosen is only maybe a mile down the road. I guess I could lay out my workout clothes so they are ready to go. 

1 hour ago, Harriet said:

Yessss! Lifting for the win! 

Yep! It took me forever to get into lifting because I was embarrassed by how weak I am and worried I might hurt myself, but I finally started trying it out a few years ago. I haven't been consistent with it, but I do like it. I love how trackable weight training is. There are just so many variables and measurements and ways to see progress. I love that about it.

• Like 3

Yessss let us get to the gym! Consistency is my big problem, but we can do it!!!! \o/

• Like 3

i am not waiting for a hero.  i saved myself long ago.

Level 56 Bardic Time-Mage; of the Furious Heart

STR.55  DEX.43 STA.48 CON.51 WIS.53 CHA.65

"Well...in the end, it boils down to two simple choices. Either you do or you don't.

You'd think with all the problems in this world, there'd be more answers. It's not fair...
...But that's the way things are. The choice is yours."

8 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I was embarrassed by how weak I am 

Me too. Am I a large human or a tiny powerlifter? I don't know! I only know that the earthen spirits demand valiant efforts rather than specific numbers. Though I'm sure they like glorious numbers as well. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Yessss let us get to the gym! Consistency is my big problem, but we can do it!!!! \o/

Yes!! My plan is go get my membership tomorrow :)

2 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Great challenge! Very doable

Thanks! That is what I am aiming for. I am trying to treat my challenges more like training. In the same way I wouldn't try to lift an amount that is wayyyy too heavy for me (for safety), I don't want to take on a habit stack that is way too much for me. I want to progressively overload my challenges, so I am pushing myself to grow, but not taking on too much at once.

18 minutes ago, Harriet said:

Me too. Am I a large human or a tiny powerlifter? I don't know! I only know that the earthen spirits demand valiant efforts rather than specific numbers. Though I'm sure they like glorious numbers as well. 

Haha, I am neither. I would best describe myself as LotR elf-like, minus the gracefulness. I am tall, lanky, and a bit clumsy/lacking in balance, lol.

• Like 3

Today was a great start to the challenge (because I am keeping my momentum from the last challenge by starting during week zero). I did 16:8 intermittent fasting (which falls in my window), I got all my daily routines done, and I fit in some time to make some more progress on my book. 

Tomorrow I intend to get my gym membership, and as long as all that goes smoothly get in at least a short workout. My husband and I have sat down and decided which days we would prefer to train together based on our schedule, so the plan is coming together. Now to implement it...

Not really important, but I just realized I hit a new NF rank today! I am now a Malcontent...which just seems fitting for me, lol.

• Like 7

Heyho, I think I am a new people :D

Excited to see you crush your goals :)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TGP said:

Yeah for getting a gymn membership!

that REALLY helped me, exercise.  its not the only thing I do- but its a great resource and trigger to exercise.

when I am home it is Never as intense (esp stuff like lifting or bodyweight calis)

I wouldn't mind doing bodyweight stuff. I actually love bodyweight training. But I live in a small, one-bedroom apartment on the third floor with thin floors...so I can't really workout in the room without disturbing the neighbors below me. So a gym is extremely helpful, it gives me the space to move around. Not to mention the equipment, and I don't even have to annoy the neighbors.

7 hours ago, Arkania said:

Heyho, I think I am a new people :D

Excited to see you crush your goals :)

Hello! Welcome :) So nice of you to stop by and leave a comment. I love meeting new people.

Today was....*long sigh*....rough. I have been putting a lot of energy into staying positive and managing my mental health, because it definitely needs constant management for my own sake, but some days are just a struggle. Especially in December. This time of year has soooo much emotional baggage tied up in it. I am trying to get better at acknowledging the emotions and memories when they come up without letting them drag me down (as opposed to suppressing them or getting dragged down), but I am still a long way away from mastering that skill. I have also been struggling with stuff at work lately, and it is wearing me down so much. But, it pays the bills, and until I can find a better option...well, it pays the bills. Even if it feels like it is costing me all my creative energy and soul for the time being.

BUT, I was not about to let that deter me from the main goal of today - getting that dang gym membership already. So, I applied online during the day and let the gym owner know I was coming in after work for the picture and key, so I had no way of backing out. I now have my shiny new membership and got in a short workout. I also hit my macros and IF window, and finished my daily routine stuff. Now I am snuggling up with my book to get in a few more pages of reading before bed. So, despite a very draining and frustrating day, I somehow managed to power through all of my goals. If only I had this level of determination every day, haha.

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

I wouldn't mind doing bodyweight stuff. I actually love bodyweight training. But I live in a small, one-bedroom apartment on the third floor with thin floors...so I can't really workout in the room without disturbing the neighbors below me. So a gym is extremely helpful, it gives me the space to move around. Not to mention the equipment, and I don't even have to annoy the neighbors.

Hello! Welcome :) So nice of you to stop by and leave a comment. I love meeting new people.

Today was....*long sigh*....rough. I have been putting a lot of energy into staying positive and managing my mental health, because it definitely needs constant management for my own sake, but some days are just a struggle. Especially in December. This time of year has soooo much emotional baggage tied up in it. I am trying to get better at acknowledging the emotions and memories when they come up without letting them drag me down (as opposed to suppressing them or getting dragged down), but I am still a long way away from mastering that skill. I have also been struggling with stuff at work lately, and it is wearing me down so much. But, it pays the bills, and until I can find a better option...well, it pays the bills. Even if it feels like it is costing me all my creative energy and soul for the time being.

BUT, I was not about to let that deter me from the main goal of today - getting that dang gym membership already. So, I applied online during the day and let the gym owner know I was coming in after work for the picture and key, so I had no way of backing out. I now have my shiny new membership and got in a short workout. I also hit my macros and IF window, and finished my daily routine stuff. Now I am snuggling up with my book to get in a few more pages of reading before bed. So, despite a very draining and frustrating day, I somehow managed to power through all of my goals. If only I had this level of determination every day, haha.

Great job on powering through your day!

December is rough for me too, which is why I'm doing my Mussar study on joy this month. I will be touching on other character traits as well; but joy is my main focus. Hang in there!

• Like 1

L3 Human Ranger/Assassin

Str. 6 Dex. 2 Sta. 1 Con. 12 Wis. 8 Cha. 3

https://www.nerdfitness.com/character/58014

Motto: Where there is life, there is hope.

Soli Deo Gloria

On 12/1/2019 at 9:18 PM, Aquarii said:

I was looking over my New Year's goals from 2019. Many of them I at least attempted at some point this year. Some I realized just were not for me, others I just didn't prioritize, some I stuck to all year, and some I started and stopped throughout the year but am finally getting them to stick.

I noticed that most of the weightier of my goals, the ones that should have been highest priority and were of most value to me were the ones that actually received the least priority. In other words, I prioritized the easy stuff that didn't matter as much instead of focusing on the things that would really propel me toward where I want to be. One of those things is fitness. I have put going to the gym on my list of goals every year, and every year I make very little progress towards that goal. It is not for lack of interest. I have gone to the gym, I know a good workout session feels good, I WANT to be a person who goes to the gym, but I always have a (rather pathetic) excuse not to go. 

I have a lot of life goals that I want to work on next year, and I don't want to be fighting tooth and nail with a gym habit, so my goal is to use December to at least start to get into the swing of things so that by the time New Year's hits, I don't have to focus as much energy on just convincing myself to go. I also want to continue solidifying some recently introduced habits (twice-daily skincare routine, twice-daily teeth brushing routine, daily flossing routine, intermittent fasting) so they are more secure before I add new resolutions in January. The recently introduced habits all had great streaks last challenge, so they are definitely getting closer to where I want them, but I am not yet ready to take the focus off of them. And finally, I want to finish up my reading goals for the year.

Challenge Goals:

14:10 Intermittent Fasting during the workweek (attempt on weekends and during holiday travels, but not required)

Gym - Week Zero: Get a gym membership at pre-selected local gym and workout at least once

Reading - Finish last book to hit my goal of 30 books in a year

Daily Routines

• 2x Skincare
  • 2x Brushing Teeth
  • 1x Flossing

Let's finish this year out strong!!

Great goals! I aimed to read 50 books this year but I'll end at about 30 as well. 

47 minutes ago, Aquarii said:

This season can definitely be tough. But great job pushing through and accomplishing all your goals! Congrats!

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I have been putting a lot of energy into staying positive and managing my mental health, because it definitely needs constant management

It surely does. You're doing great. Practicing this stuff i's like exercise; tiring in the short term, but strengthening with repeated application. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aquarii said:

Especially in December. This time of year has soooo much emotional baggage tied up in it.

Every time I hear that Christmas song "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" I feel like punching Andy Williams in the face. I feel that for most people, it is the exact opposite.

Great job banging out the goals for the day. Keep channeling that energy as best you can.

• Like 2

Half Ogre Ranger

Devourer of Pastries

15 hours ago, fitnessgurl said:

Great job on powering through your day!

December is rough for me too, which is why I'm doing my Mussar study on joy this month. I will be touching on other character traits as well; but joy is my main focus. Hang in there!

That sounds like a great idea. I try to focus on things like gratitude and just look forward to New Years, haha.

15 hours ago, Jupiter said:

Great goals! I aimed to read 50 books this year but I'll end at about 30 as well. 

I use to set a goal of 50 books every.single.year. And I never made it, in fact, the number of books I read each year was steadily declining. In 2017, I only read three or four books. Then last year, I cut the goal in half to 25 and having a much more achievable goal was so motivating, I ended up reading 27. So I upped it to 30 this year. Not quite sure what next year's reading goal will be, but there will certainly be a goal.

2 hours ago, Harriet said:

It surely does. You're doing great. Practicing this stuff i's like exercise; tiring in the short term, but strengthening with repeated application. 

I am definitely learning that. It has certainly been a journey, but over time I am getting better at it, and at the very least it keeps me away from just completely spiraling back into bad places.

14 minutes ago, GoodDoug said:

Every time I hear that Christmas song "It's The Most Wonderful Time of the Year" I feel like punching Andy Williams in the face. I feel that for most people, it is the exact opposite.

Great job banging out the goals for the day. Keep channeling that energy as best you can.

...I actually kind of like that song, lol. Wouldn't say the lyrics are accurate, but I like the music. I am just trying to focus on the stuff about this season that I DO like. Like Christmas lights. I love it when they decorate the trees along the road in towns with pretty, sparkling lights. It makes the short days less oppressive. And the colors. I love deep crimson reds and forest greens, which are plentiful this time of year. And an excuse to pull out Frank Sinatra and Nat King Cole for some nice jazzy music on snowy, dreary afternoons. And most importantly, the constant excuse to drink all the tea, coffee, cider, and other hot drinks I could ever want. 

• Like 7

Nothing exciting to report today. I got all my daily stuff in, hit my macros and stayed within my IF window, and am about to get some reading in before bed. I can feel my workout from yesterday in my arms and chest (I did chest and triceps), and I plan to get in another workout tomorrow (back and biceps). Got in a few 15 min walks at work, just to maintain some activity for the day.

As they say, I came, I saw, I conquered. Onward!

• Like 7

17 minutes ago, WhiteGhost said:

OHAI!  Following along

Why hello, @WhiteGhost. It is nice to have you here :)

A little piece of inspiration I came across today from one of my favorite YouTubers/documentary filmmakers. Just thought I would share.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Aquarii said:

I use to set a goal of 50 books every.single.year. And I never made it, in fact, the number of books I read each year was steadily declining. In 2017, I only read three or four books. Then last year, I cut the goal in half to 25 and having a much more achievable goal was so motivating, I ended up reading 27. So I upped it to 30 this year. Not quite sure what next year's reading goal will be, but there will certainly be a goal.

Yeah I hear you, I'm in the same boat pretty much. I know you're not quite at 30 books yet, but still, congrats, that's huge. :) What kind of books do you read?

• Like 3