• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Bouncer_the_Lovable

Bouncer's First Sugar Free Holidays

Writing early hours in the morning, while procrastinating on homework..... Happy Holidays!

So complicated and easy lol.

Entire challenge: Grounded goals

-Drink Tea Daily (I have a Advent Calander of Tea till 24th, so no excuses)

-Meditate Daily (at the moment guided chakra meditations)

-Daily Journaling

But there's more! (hence title challenge)

So two parts of this challenge in Week 1:

Part A - Getting through this flippin' semester

Part B - Winter Break (First Sugar-free Holidays) (starts either on the 11th or 12th I think)

I had been able to do 20 something days of a Whole30 last summer when working at a zoo, and living away from home (but with a better kitchen at my to be step dads). 

This semester I noticed how much I lean to sugar to get through new tough times... I'm even too scared to do the math, knowing my diabetic family history may get to me before I'm 30 if I'm not careful. 

When I went Whole30 I found I had less pain and heartburn, and I have a feeling its mostly from sugar causing it (as drinking a soda can flare up some pain alone..)

Going off sugar is easier when you can sleep more, I plan to be sleeping a large part of Week 1 of this challenge after my finals. 

Part A

Week 0 - get projects done/ 1 Final on Tuesday

Week 1 - Tuesday 2 finals I believe and a potluck (added, an event with a paper to write for)

Goal - get through it, survive my personal purgatory and work on staying grounded

Part B (Starts Wk 1 December 11 at 2 am)

Sugar-free challenge- A little blood sugar reset

I can eat all the sugar-free protein and veggies with my fat. 

Whole30 like of keeping carbs, fruit, and dairy to 2 servings a day. 

(holiday dinners I'm going to be a lack of added sugar to allowed foods, but won't have dessert...)

Also, have organizing and paperwork goals. I'm someone that has a slower transition time and hasn't had extra time since last May... 

This semester I added three new things to my life: a brand new dresser, a used 40-inch screen tv, and an inherited full-size bed. All good changes... however, I need an adjustment on my items being placed in my room. 

While also a goal to go through my storage (there's a lot of storage I can't easily get to and realized I don't need if I haven't used them for the 2 year I lived in my apartment with my mom.... who dislikes me tearing through things for a single item....). 

So I will hopefully get rest, but more than enough to keep me busy. I'm debating on my fitness goal yet. 

----

Into for all you new peeps/ If you are new: 

Spoiler

For school I'm a nontraditional undergrad at 25-year-old. Who has been in 3 schools since Fall 2012. I had a break year+ when I first joined NF after attempting 2.  Looking for gamers that worked out (didn't know they existed back in 2015.. lol). I had been dealing with a lot of heavy stuff that all hit me, I was able to luckily slowly get resources on getting a life I wanted. Which led me back to school in Jan. 2017 (2016 was my most active year on NF). 

My first class on returning was a Gen. Ed. on "Recreation, Parks and Leisure Service"." Social science of fun" (far more fun degree, and welcoming degree than my Anthropology degree I barely started). Later on, decided on an American Indigenous Studies minor.

I had been a part time student until this last Fall. I want to get done, but have been a bit miserable with school not being easy for me. However, I have a boyfriend (lives 70 miles north of me, just dating over a year now) and a mom (who I live with) that tell me I just need to get through it. 2 more class semesters, if I pass all my classes. But will see.

I found myself to be more spiritual, after finding a connection with the triangle of Physcial, Mental and Spirituality. Literally able to be a full time student with my spiritual practices now to cope with my mental health and chronic pain. However, found I'm a bit disconnected when it comes to my overall health. Even though I'm happier, I weigh 50-75 lbs more now. I'm hoping in this holiday season and 2020 I start finding what keeps the weight on (because it's more than just my birth control). 

Updated goals and grammar: Dec. 4, 2019

Edited by LovelyBouncer
intro of myself, updated goals
  • Like 7

Greetings Bouncer,

I was also a non-tradational student and understand the challenges of balancing being healthy with school. I wish you the best of luck with your finals and challenges. Feel free to give a shout out if you need an ear to grip at, lol, or extra support during this challenging time.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Part B - Winter Break (First Sugar-free Holidays) (starts either on the 11th or 12th I think)

...and ends, when?

Sugar free holidays is more ambitious than I would ever dare try to do. Yikes.

• Like 1

The classes sound interesting (science of FUNNN???). Good luck getting them all done. Do you have a strategy to cope with the Christmas flood of sugar? 

• Like 1

Told myself no responding my own thread until I started doing my homework.... 

11 pm people... But somehow still care on my assignments. 

13 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

I was also a non-tradational student and understand the challenges of balancing being healthy with school. I wish you the best of luck with your finals and challenges. Feel free to give a shout out if you need an ear to grip at, lol, or extra support during this challenging time.

Hi!! Think I've seen you around, but I've been only active with two members the most this last couple of challenges. 

Love your username :) 

Thanks, appreciate it. I guess my question for you is "was it a painful process to get through?"

The more I think I might send you a pm. Thank you for willing to chat :D 

7 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

...and ends, when?

Sugar free holidays is more ambitious than I would ever dare try to do. Yikes.

Hehe, SMART goals... Thank you for the reminder.

January 13th is the first day of the semester. So that would make my own challenge 30 days! (Though a week after the first NF challenge in January start date...)

Yes ambitious, but I know I will have everyone supporting me. Maybe joked, but everyone is more than happy to enjoy their own thing when it comes to the holidays. 

A bit of background: My boyfriend already doesn't eat desserts/sugar (carbs are his treat, and he can't stand how Minnesotans put heavy sugary sauces on our holiday veggie salads; no less what restaurants do on their own ). He watches his blood sugar levels since he was diagnosed  six months before I met him, after losing weight and watching sugar he hasn't had to use meds for a few months now. His lifestyle has had my mom and I already rethink of celebrating birthdays and holidays, even when he rarely can come around.

His way of looking at food made me realize a bit of not so great relationship I have with food. With the extra time, and tough stuff holiday already brings allowing myself to get the rest since I luckily don't have large family chaos... 

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

That was a bit more words than my ADHD-addled brain can take in, but I’ll try to catch up.

Hehe, sorry welcome to my brain and lack of skill of tampering it down.  Maybe I'll make a ADHD summary friendly area on there. But as I look at my responses, looking for quick updates might be your only hope. 

7 hours ago, Harriet said:

The classes sound interesting (science of FUNNN???). Good luck getting them all done. Do you have a strategy to cope with the Christmas flood of sugar? 

Social Science of FUN. Lol, when I can actually allow myself to relax in the classes and such. It can be fun. Too bad I make myself so darn tense. 

Thank you. 

For sugar.

Honestly, I'm praying, meditating and journaling. Attempting some walking in there.  While sending complaints to my boyfriend on my cravings (along with NF posts... fun fun time here).

The first week strategy is to sleep. While at some point I want to learn how to make the Nigerian sauce my bf and his roommate makes (maybe figure out the base to make my own). Its all veggies and spices, and when you eat it with boiled eggs for me it tastes sweet. So hoping a little cooking fun, but will wait and see. 

However, I'm full aware I might just lay in bed all day for one too many days binge watching or something. I hope I won't though. 

Hoping to find maybe what's going on with my relationship with sugar, so journaling will definitely be a priority. 

• Like 3

Sunday:

I drank my tea and mediated. (I actually doubled up)

Idk on homework process. I honestly remember working on something, but Idk on getting anywhere. Emailed my professors though. 

Monday:

I forgot to do either.... 

Homework, ummm. Again learning lack of sleep may not be helpful. Fudge. 

-----

Had a full blown melt down though at home, right after going to two classes and being composed as if "I got my stuff together".

Sunday had mini ones whenever I sat down to work. For lunch it was a tantrum, on how I wanted to quit. 

Ironically had my bags still on me to go off and attempt to do something. 

Basically by the end of the day it ended with my mom, boyfriend and to be stepdad fine with me failing my classes if that ends up what happens. 

Went and saw my healer (have a HealingTouch healer I meet weekly) that said "yup you feel like crap, and are going through a tough time. However, you are doing better than ever). 

My mom also brought up during my melt down that I could end up going to just finish my 2 year degree. (I have 1 year worth of classes to go, and an internship for my major. Generals I'm done, I mainly have the equivalent of a 2 year degree... however getting enough credits to graduate at a school). 

So Idk... Since the begining of the semester, I've been done. Finishing this degree comes down to just getting it done, while I have emotional issues of working on it. so yeah... Will see. 

• Like 1

Reward post - 3:42 am my time...

Finished an assignment!!! It's a miracle. 

It's dumb how easy it was in the end, dumb how easy this class was for me. Terms goof me up a bit, but everything makes sense. 

Looking back, this is the one class I should have turned everything in and been able to discuss the vocab with my bf (he's a wannabe venture capitalist - vocab word lol). 

But final in 6 hrs. 

About 6 more assignments to do I believe. 

One assignment I missed, my professor is bringing up I might have a chance... So starting that paper up as if I had it done. But first will sleep till 6 then pray to heavens get up and get going again. 

Telling myself, I need to get things done by Thursday. Then I can sleep, as I study for exams. 

Will be calling work after the exam to ask if I can get help, panic attacks and sleep deprivation for a job that cares might give me a helping hand. 

(I work as  a Janitor twice a week  for a cleaning company- I clean a car dealership, management it really understanding and are more surprised what I show up for). 

Otherwise, throat is getting scratching with a wicked cough that randomly comes out at times. Trying to drink up to keep whatever is going on down, along with immune supplements. 

• Like 1

Waking up from getting 7 hrs of sleep. Somewhere in my brain accepted where I'm at for one of my classes, and getting decent sleep won out. 

Tuesday  - (Week 0, Part A)

Tea yes 

Meditation kinda (lots of deep breathing, and a bit of meditation before naps)

Journaling nope.... (none so far)

School doing better than I have been

School Update

I'm officially done with one of my classes, I can actually take out the folder I realized for the class out of my bag. Hehe. 

Think I did well in the final, professor was upfront on the review so no surprises for exam. Had completed my portion of the group project so that worked out. 

Group project due today, my part is not so well done...  Trying to finish this post up so I can read through it before classes. This is a class I'm questioning if I'm passing because I didn't take as seriously... I learned a whole lot, just actually doing the work has been iffy at times. 

There's a chance to get extra credit Tuesday night by going to an event, I would have to go to work later, but will be worth it for this class. 

The goal is to finish up any projects and assignments by tomorrow. 

Group project due today, old assignment just needs to be written out in narrative for some points, and then 2 larger assignments I haven't done anything on is due tomorrow. 

Then I'll be focused on studying next week's finals, will need to have gone over the study guide by Friday morning. 

Life

A bonus, found out I haven't used up all my money. After slowly waking up this morning, my body was high alert on at least checking my account (last week of school in the past I have to count my pennies). 

Still have a bit of padding, which is good since I'll be getting less next semester. 

Been appreciative of my job, even though I get overwhelmed with my not so great time management. I've been able to at least been able to get the food I need, and the lattes I need to get through class. Along with Christmas presents I want to get (my brother shared a Christmas list this year from amazon, threw some ideas over at him). 

Finally have my dates lined up!

Sugar-Free Challenge starts December 11 2am. 

I will have one more assignment to get done after this time, however, I have already done 2  versions of it already. So I have no worries about being able to sleep in the next day and getting it done. 2 am due to will be at work... 

Other words 1 more week of this semester!! 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LovelyBouncer said:

Think I did well in the final, professor was upfront on the review so no surprises for exam.

These are teh best kinds of professors. The ones who actually want to see their students do well, and do what they can to make that easier.

Congrats on being done with the semester! Now, go read something just because you want to, and not because someone tells you to. :)

12 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

These are teh best kinds of professors. The ones who actually want to see their students do well, and do what they can to make that easier.

Congrats on being done with the semester! Now, go read something just because you want to, and not because someone tells you to. :)

Yeah, luckily most of my professors are. I'm just the one that makes it a bit more complicated with my avoidance.

1 more week and 3 more classes to go... then I'll see what I want to read. Been procrastinating on an RP site, so I have a feeling what I'll be doing. 

Procrastination Update

I had to go to Perkins after avoiding homework before and after my afternoon nap. 

IDK how far out Perkins goes, but its a family restaurant chain (like Denny's, homestyle food). One of two in my city are open 24/7 (used to cut its hours down, until the head company I guess announced bankruptcy a few months ago- MN is the least effect by the announcement by the sounds of it). 

As I wrote this I finished one assignment and am making progress on the other assignments. 8.5 hours until class.

Will I get sleep before then? Questionable. Will I get a shower? I hope so.

• Like 2

Oh and ADHD freindly update: 

Wednesday  - (Week 0, Part A)

Tea no... 

Meditation not really, but kinda on mental slow down

Journaling nope.... (none so far... still)

School did a little in-group in the morning, else didn't get started really until 8 pm. Was meh until Perkins at 11 pm

I plan to drink two advent teas tomorrow during finals studying (actually looking forward to studying my finals lol). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, deftona said:

Following along! I really need to curb my sugar intake so I am interested in this aspect of your challenge. Good luck with it! 

Glad to have you here! Nothing big till next week. 

My inly thing I question is any of my advent calander teas having sugar in it (maybe allow myself a single or half serving of tea would be okay?)

School Update at 4 am:

Okay just calling it good and turning stuff in. It's bad, I mean BAD. 

But its in, and 2 of the assignments are turned in on time. Even though I was cringing at the end result. 

Getting into the work today, I'm seeing what I need to do next semester. 

Time management, discipline, talk with professors/support when I get stuck (while moving through it before hand). 

Also work closely with writing tutors for my next semesters until I graduate, I promised myself this 2 years ago and never did it. I'm someone who needs it. 

Whelp time to get receipt, go home and shower. Maybe get sleep. 

Also:

NO MORE LATE NIGHTS, promise. 

Edited by LovelyBouncer
4 am update
  • Like 2

On 12/2/2019 at 10:21 PM, LovelyBouncer said:

Hi!! Think I've seen you around, but I've been only active with two members the most this last couple of challenges. 

Love your username :)

Thanks, appreciate it. I guess my question for you is "was it a painful process to get through?"

Painful is relative. For me, it just was. I am the first in my family, except a for a distant cousin, to go to college. I had also gone through foster care so I didn't have a frame of reference on how things were supposed to go. It was challenging balancing classes, work and everything else. I worked very hard and it was a struggle, but, like I said, it was all I knew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

Painful is relative. For me, it just was. I am the first in my family, except a for a distant cousin, to go to college. I had also gone through foster care so I didn't have a frame of reference on how things were supposed to go. It was challenging balancing classes, work and everything else. I worked very hard and it was a struggle, but, like I said, it was all I knew.

That makes sense, and sorry to hear of all that mess... Thanks for sharing, I have a bit of my own chaos (such as have quite a bit of student loans because I have quite a bit of anxiety for scholarships, and put quite a bit of money toward keeping my family afloat at a young age). 

Again thank you for sharing!

---

I'm alive. 

Just no tea or meditation or journaling until Sunday came around. Along with studying. 

I just didn't wanna, and haven't even gotten laundry done in over a week. Idk how but somehow am making it work. 

-----

So with no studying.

My first exam went pretty well (had a B+). I have an idea what I don't understand and will keep the notes around for, but I know the broad strokes of this class.

I have a lot of work to do though to get myself to understand the chaos of a Marketing Plan (which is part of every organization so I will be seeing again). But that's for later on. 

The next final is in a few hours, I had little sleep last night (my sleep schedule has been horrible, staying up till 3 has been a problem after a afternoon nap). My final today is at 3... So hope it goes alright as I briefly look over topics on here. 

Will be going to an event before work tonight for the little extra credit I can get. 

Soo 2 more papers to go by midnight tomorrow... 

---

Copy/Paste for rules --- WIll see my lvl of insanity. 

Sugar wise, I may have been buying more sugar treats that I'm saying goodbye to. 

Looking at the food I eat now, I know it will be interesting on what I end up finding for food. 

Bumping milk and carbs to 3 servings a day, due those being my biggest food groups. While fruit I will allow up to 10 (unless I have sugar tea from my advent calander, each scoop will be a serving for a fruit). Up to 5 servings of juice/alchohol (I usually have one drink at a holiday meal, because I rarely drink its a real treat). 

No adding sugar (dishes that I think don't have sugar will be fine on Christmas day if another family member makes them. Because sometimes weird stuff has added sugar). 

• Like 3

Sugar free intrigues me...following along for that

I was also a non-traditional student...started in my mid 30's, online, while working 2 jobs...finished my masters about 7 years later (took a break after the bachelors)

It's not for the faint of heart

• Like 2

On 12/10/2019 at 10:11 AM, LovelyBouncer said:

The next final is in a few hours, I had little sleep last night (my sleep schedule has been horrible, staying up till 3 has been a problem after a afternoon nap). My final today is at 3... So hope it goes alright as I briefly look over topics on here. 

Will be going to an event before work tonight for the little extra credit I can get. 

Soo 2 more papers to go by midnight tomorrow... 

How did it go?

8 hours ago, RES said:

Sugar free intrigues me...following along for that

I was also a non-traditional student...started in my mid 30's, online, while working 2 jobs...finished my masters about 7 years later (took a break after the bachelors)

It's not for the faint of heart

Respect Davis Boreanaz GIF - Respect DavisBoreanaz Salute GIFs

Damn... wow. 

I'm just feeling it in my twenties (can't  do all-nighters as I used to, along with how my brain works- even though I'm lower stressed now)

Basically between my own self-talk and both of you are verifying the world I need to get this degree done. 

Because it won't get easier... gah. I guess I'm figuring out the true torture of school and the option of having a full-time job. 

6 hours ago, Love_Of_Snuggles said:

Congrats!

Thank you!

3 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

How did it go?

Did the 2nd final under 40 mins... Filled every answer out, professor said it was her easiest... I had difficulty (I finished under 40 mins due to just filling everything I knew, and making up some answers). I will have to see how I do. 

I ended up skipping the extra credit by going to work early.... Bummed I missed it, but I was having a tough time keeping going. 

Energy management is another skill I need to work on. 

However,  I got the paper done by 2:30 yesterday!

I checked my email, found some other school errands done.... Was done with the semester at 4 pm. 

Next week I'll check my grades. See how it went. Hoping I don't have to retake any classes, but there is a chance. 

Journaling and drinking tea happened on Tuesday.

Otherwise: 

Done GIF - Done Arresteddevelopment Georgemichael GIFs

It's Done - Finished GIF - Finished ElijahWood LordOfTheRings GIFs

---

I'm stickin' tired. Still working on life though. 

I started without sugar at Midnight (was too tired to eat anything after work, and was sore). 

Weighed myself after sleeping in on Wed., I'm over 300 lbs..... Gained like 5lbs+ in a month. So taking in bloating will remeasure me tomorrow morning..,.. When I looked at my bank account, I have an idea where the extra weight came from (eating out... megally). 

Only sugar is a tsp of sweetened flavored tea.. Trying to figure out which days I've missed on my advent calendar. 

Noting which ones have sugar as I go on the box... Soon as I went sugar-free, all the sweetened teas are popping out... 

Keeping fruit/sweetened tea to 4 servings a days

24 Days of Tea

DAVIDsTEA - 24 Days of Tea

So budget games begin too. I went on two trips where I spent a bit and taking care of a car. Not drowning, and paid my main bills and bought my Christmas presents. 

Just would like to have some money around if an emergency happens, and stay stable into summer. Plus need probably tires by next year... 

Budget Money GIF - Budget Money Chopping GIFs

Going to food shelf tomorrow for food, will be interesting trying to figure what has sugar added.... 

Been interesting on just cutting sugar out. I could have International Half/Half in my coffee this morning, but can't have hot pockets from my freezer (that sells as low sugar on the nutrition label). 

Preparing mentally and getting the kitchen ready. Been craving noodles and tomato sauce... a one food I used to avoid lol. 

46 hours in and food already tastes better.

Squid Girl Fried Rice GIF - SquidGirl FriedRice Eat GIFs

Went up to my boyfriend's for the night, and fell in love with his rice and sauce... 

Whelp... school updates done. 
Now to clean kitchen and room, as I work on cleaning for the New Year!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LovelyBouncer said:

I checked my email, found some other school errands done.... Was done with the semester at 4 pm. 

You made it! Congratulations!  Now go sleep. :) 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, scalyfreak said:

You made it! Congratulations!  Now go sleep. :) 

Thank you for the reminder lol

More seeing how messy my sleep schedule .

Had a full update but my phone acted weird.

Going to food shelf was more than successfully. I have a LOT of veggies that need to be prepared/freezed before they get bad. 

Work tonight and tomorrow day, will be interesting how I tackle this. 

The hope is this month I find good to go foods sugar free and easy enough to prepare. ( To tame the sugar dragon with veggies....).

Sugar Free- no tea today but nitro coffee

Coffee has been needed to get me going. No heartburn which is nice because I had it quite a bit during the last 3 weeks of school. 

Also just eating less, trying to prepare veggies when I wish to eat the world....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

I don’t know what nitro coffee is, but it sounds perfect.

Treat yo self to Caribou dude, be a true local lol

(info for all: Caribou Coffee is a chain founded in Minnesota... and there is 2 within a  mile of me....)

My mother explained to me it's cold coffee using nitrogen. Basically a more compact  iced coffee that may have more kick (but not as cold or off balanced). May have cream that makes the 30 calories, but unsure.

• Like 2