• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

annyshay

annyshay gets cozy

Cozy-Definition.png

Hello friends! I'm annyshay, and I usually spend my time in the adventurers guild. I've been around NF for years at this point.

It's been quite the year! I just finished a particularly busy challenge where I worked on two really important exams and NaNoWriMo, so I'm ready for something at a slower pace. Plus the holidays in my neck of the wood are the perfect time to get cozy.

So come on in, share some cozy gifs, and let's enjoy our time together.

cozy-kitten.jpg

(not Dragon, but totally could be Dragon...)

• Like 9

Movement - three 10 minute sessions per week

Eating - veggies with lunch

- veggies with dinner

Mindset - intention mantra

- embrace the stillness

- joy journaling

Sunday w0d1

Not sure what I want to do for my challenge yet, but I suppose that I can update on what's going on so far. 

Yesterday was a quiet morning followed by a fairly busy afternoon in the hospital (where I work, don't panic). I had a phone call with my mom and some chats with a good friend in the evening. Apparently our Christmas plans have switched entirely and I have to look for last minute (read - exorbitant) flights. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following for cozy warmth and germicide. 

Welcome... as long as you wash your hands. ;)

20 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

This sounds kinda wonderful.

That was my thought. :)

19 hours ago, Chris Tarly said:

a504a06a98ff31d0569214f1e3d4f56a.gif

Kitty!

9 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Lets pretend I have time to post an awesome cozy gif here.

Mmm so cozy. :D

• Like 2

Monday w0d2

So, there was a bit of snow in the last 24+ hours. My colleague who was supposed to be starting inpatient service got stuck in Florida and then in Baltimore. This meant that I had to stay on inpatient service for an extra day. I got to do a lot of teaching with an enthusiastic group of residents and students, so it worked out well. But all the other people in the office were whining about having to work when it was snowing, and it was a little bit irritating. On some level, I get it. The snow makes life more difficult. But also, we live in upstate New York... what were you expecting in the winter?! My boss didn't come in until 10 and left before 3... seems a bit indulgent to me. /rant.

Still not really sure what I want to do for goals. I'll update them eventually.

Today we were supposed to go to the Capital for World AIDS Day, but a lot of things were shut down by the snow. I also might need to cover the inpatient service still. We'll see how things play out. 

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, annyshay said:

But all the other people in the office were whining about having to work when it was snowing, and it was a little bit irritating.

Sometimes just sitting in an environment like this can be a lot worse than the actual problem. I used to work in an office where everyone complained about everything. It eventually actually hurt me.

• Like 1

Tuesday w0d3

Bit of a hectic day with a conference celebrating World AIDS Day at the Capital. Had to do some answering of questions over the pone, which is always a bit more difficult. Spent the evening napping, playing Pokemon, and writing.

Today will be more of the same with the second day of the conference.

tenor.gif

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Manarelle said:

ab2441a00f47fb7c8ae8c1123d32a164.gif 

I'm trying to get over the "winter sucks" attitude with coziness, so I'm all in. Grats on passing the board! 

Yay for actively shaping our attitude. It takes time, though.

• Like 1

Wednesday w0d4

Spent the morning and some of the afternoon at the Ending the Epidemic Summit for World AIDS Day, and then went back to the office to make sure that everything was ok for our patients. Got everything sorted out by the time that I left. 

Today is going to be very busy from the staff meeting in the morning to a going away dinner in the evening.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSh9nQvDlpwUX9AqO7-2eI

• Like 6

Thursday w0d5

Started the day early with a faculty meeting then had several patients in clinic. Spent lunch socializing with my nurses and dinner out celebrating a doctor who got a permanent job (she was working with us part time away from her children). Long day, but a good day.

Today there's far less on the schedule, so I hope that I can have some time to think about plans for the next year or so and develop some goals that are in alignment with all that I've learned lately. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5060931

• Like 4

So, I've been focused so much on mindset and other goals, that I haven't really been keeping you posted on what I've been up to in terms of the more traditional health and fitness focus of nerd fitness. I think that I'm ready to start talking about it more again.

The first thing to know is that I have a Health Coach named Amy Clover, who is an amazing, supportive beacon of light and has her stuff located on the web at StrongInsideOut.com. I've been working with her on and off since Camp Nerd Fitness in 2016, but since August I've been doing personal coaching with her, and man has it been good for me. We've been working on slowly addressing the huge resistance that I had towards moving and eating well. 

In terms of movement, we started with one five minute movement session per week, which really got my inner perfectionist going, let me tell you. But slowly and surely we've built up to the point where I'm actually enjoying movement sessions and doing them pretty regularly. So that has been a game changer for me. 

We've been working on making sure that I get veggies for my eating goal, so I'm currently working on eating at least some veggies with both lunch and dinner. Most of my meals are bought at this point because I've been hugely resistant to cooking after the extremes I went to with eating paleo. We're working on things slowly, and it's been good for me. I still struggle with my inner perfectionist telling me that I'm not doing enough though.

In terms of mindset, we've been working on a couple of small tweaks to my daily routine in addition to all the good stuff going on in therapy and other venues. One is that I start each morning with about two minutes breathing into an intention for the day. It's a mantra like "I am amazing" or "I am loved". Once a week for five minutes, I intentionally spend time embracing stillness. This is still hard for me. It's spending time enjoying some tea, petting my cat, or otherwise not being productive or distracted. Finally, each day I write down one thing that has brought me joy. These practices have been going on for a while, but I want to make sure that I continue them.

So, instead of making other extraneous goals, I want to share how these ones are going. I would love your support in making sure that I'm not being too much of a perfectionist about things. Extending myself grace is still a work in progress. Slow and steady progress is definitely happening, but I've spent SO MUCH of my life trying to beat myself into submission with willpower and extreme changes that it's still a pattern that pops up from time to time. The holidays and new year are particularly rampant with diet culture and extreme changes, so I'm going to work extra hard to be good to myself. 

• Like 11

3 hours ago, GoodDoug said:

Thanks for sharing about your health and mindset. I think you are doing great things and I might have to steal some of thise things for myself.

Feel free to take liberally with my blessing. :)

2 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

You have an amazing coach! She is giving such good advice.

I ❤️ Amy. Her advice, patience, and fierce gentleness have been so good for me.

• Like 2

what a wonderful coaching relationship you guys have.  I love how she has really zero-ed in on that impulse to have huge, perfectionist goals and challenges- sometimes I really struggle with that.

its always more important to be consistent than to achieve ANYTHING.  so much health and fitness is dependent on the consistency.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TGP said:

what a wonderful coaching relationship you guys have.  I love how she has really zero-ed in on that impulse to have huge, perfectionist goals and challenges- sometimes I really struggle with that.

its always more important to be consistent than to achieve ANYTHING.  so much health and fitness is dependent on the consistency.

It has been a real blessing in my life, honestly.

Friday w0d6

Movement - rest day

Veggies - lunch and dinner

Mindset - intention mantra

- joy journaling

Had an intense session of therapy in the morning. We uncovered a lot of negative beliefs and feelings that I have been suppressing. After that went to work and had a bit of a argument with one of my coworkers (the one who is leaving in a week), where she was being pushy and telling me what to do. I just let her finish because she wasn't listening when I was saying that I disagreed and it was in front of all the learners, so I didn't want to make it a real argument. 

After that intense start to the morning, I focused on some small tasks for various patients and then had a meeting with someone who will allow us to put our new antimicrobial stewardship program up on the intranet. Met for a while with my pharmacist to work on where we are with the program and polish some of our guidelines. Spent the rest of the afternoon planning things for next year and thinking about what to focus on as prompted by the fact that our department bought us best self journals to start using next year. 

Spent the evening playing pokemon, which I beat yesterday. Now I can just focus on catching them all and making my teams as strong as possible. Fun fun.

Pokemon-Mug-Cozy-600x600.jpg

• Like 5