• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

RisenPhoenix Wraps Up the Year

gif_wrap_04_core.gif

So here we are, the end of the year. It feels like it was just January and I was trying to recover from the he’ll that was the end of last year. And while I did a lot of things this year (Vacation! Shodan! House buying!), my health and fitness I feel has stagnated our decline from where it was in September 2018 just before my car accident. So I’m going to start trying to prime things again this month to hit the new year running. 

I want to be a bit more focused on myself and my wants and needs in 2020. For so long I’ve felt like I’ve been dragged along by things mostly out of my control (Student loans! Sudden Unemployment! Car accidents!), so I want to take a step back to see where things are angled at the moment. I have a place to live that’s mine. Science and work are going well and I’m up for a promotion at work. I am mentally in a good place for the most part. I’m making ends meet without feeling house poor. I have a solid support network of friends (that admittedly I should use more). Over all I can’t complain. So next level attempts seem like a good plan. 

1) Early Rise:  05:30 wake up MWF

Long ago I woke up early and did a lot of morning workouts on top of my aikido. Mental health and recovery needs eventual won, and I opted for a slower morning routine that allowed me to sip coffee and read instead. And that’s been great. But I also need to get some additional movement into my system. So rather than do crazy things, this month I want to just a how I feel if I wake up at 0530 the times a week. Hypothetical I can join the gym across the street, so my Mondays and Fridays I can still have a bit of relaxing morning time AND get a work out in. Wednesday’s is still November Project most mornings unless I’m so exhausted/injured I can’t make it.

2) A Leg Up: Stretch injured leg every day. If not better by end of month go to the doctor.

So a few weeks ago my leg got stuck in my friend’s hakama, which caused an injury to my left hamstring and right hip flexor. It is, most likely, just a strain/sprain, but also in a muscle I have to use literally every day. After a week or two it felt okay, but not healed. And then after a week away and no movement is felt much worse. So probably just a lack of use issue, but also I need to keep an eye on it. It’s the catch 22 of I think movement would be good, but the movement I would do would be bad for it. So at least some gentle movement is needed. And if after all this the leg is still bad, I’ll make an appointment to see if it’s something more serious (like a weird  tear or something that happened). 

3) Nuts. N-V-T-S, Nuts!:  Healthier plan at home and at work

Holidays are here, so eating no junk is a pipe dream. But I do want to get back  into the habit of bringing a bunch of food to work that I can have instead of the shelves of snacks they have. Batch cooking stopped reliably happening a while back, so that needs to make a come back.  Also because I don’t want to feel totally screwed, I’m going to allow myself to have the almonds/cashews/healthier trail mix they offer at work in a pinch. I’d rather have 300 calories of cashews than fruit snacks anyway. Most of the time. But getting twice a week meal prep should help this. 

4) Life Requirements: Adulting Tasks

-Get a plumber’s to PM the heating system and fix radiators 

-Figure out end of year vacation plans

-Do all the Xmas shopping (minimal this year because house buying)

-December 13: Dojo exams

-December 14: Dojo moves to temporary space

-December 18: Massage!

December 21: Family Xmas party in morning, friend Xmas party at night

So I think most of this is reasonable. And it’s pre 07:00, so you all can accept I was up at 0530(ish) today. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

Updated the post with goals. 

This week has been interesting so far. Two heavy snow Days have happened here in Boston. Monday I went to work fine without much shoveling, but yesterday I shoveled a bit. Aikido was cancelled Monday, but not Tuesday. But I skipped last night because my leg was being dumb and skipped NP for the same reason this morning. Hopefully I’ll get some yoga in today and I’ll be okay ish by Friday to get some Mat time. 

Also you can see above we have exams in like a week, and then are moving to a temporary space. From all accounts it’s a good space, except for the political toes  we trample that the board does not want to recognize. I’d love to say it’s above my  pay grade, but these days it’s not unfortunately. So brainstorming with the only other person on the board (/my shadow puppet who has energy) who feels the same way to see if we can salvage that relationship solvent. 

And adding to WHY it’s not above my pay grade, is it looks like one of the morning class instructors is stepping down. While he teaches Wednesday morning and therefore I refuse to teach a regular class then (See: November Project), Shadow Puppet Friend is going to pitch shuffling the morning instructors so that I’m given a place to teach. If I want to. I need to get back to him on how I feel about it because.... well, after the teaching drama I went through two months ago I’m not sure how I feel about a lot of things. I’d like to teach I think. But also kind of fed up with the board/management and that’s putting a damper in things. Anyway, they might not even allow people to swap the morning schedule anyway, so it’ll probably be  moot point anyway.  Just an interesting turn of events. 

So yea. In the mean time work is going well. Self Evals are due and essentially I killed this year hard. My confidence builder goals were finished in six months, and then I semi-gracefully dealt with the reorg and new team thing and provided a lot of company value. So go me. I gave myself an exceeds goals for this year. Best part is that mostly I haven’t had to push myself terribly hard, so I have room to improve. Some longer days than I was used to, but most of those were because I had data I wanted and they still mostly didn’t interfere with aikido. So win. Next year I’m trying to plot out things and goals, so curious what my boss plans for. 

Anyway. Off to work now. Ah, small ventures of early mornings with nothing planned. 

• Like 5

Those are excellent goals for this challenge.

My sympathy on the DRAMA at your dojo. I think you are taking the right approach by dealing with the things you can and not worrying about the rest. Be careful not to get sucked into taking ukemi on the tests next week. The last thing you need is to aggravate your injuries.

• Like 1

Big Y I K E S on drama. Not my favorite thing and sorry to hear that you're dealing with it. I hope you find a way to navigate it well, although like you say it is very likely going to be one of those non-issues that someone else decides for you. It sure looks big in the meantime, tho.

• Like 1

Yesterday my yoga plans got foiled. Entirely not anyone’s fault, either. I brought stuff to change into, planned my work around it all and was kind of going to skip a meeting for it. The yoga instructor tools me it was going to be a heavy leg workout day. So she and I agreed that it would not be a good thing for me and she couldn’t change it because the class was over due (and she’s changed her plans for things before because of me so I wouldn’t want to do that again).

So since I couldn’t yoga I went to the meeting I was going to skip that was a three hour meeting of things I already knew. (Mostly. My attendance was not needed but it also could have shown me some good work politics.) Left after only a bit of overtime, drove a coworker home, and hit home to eat chili and rice cauliflower. Aforementioned coworker ended up coming around to my place for beer and hanging out. Look at me being social at night. 

Today is bunch of work, then a celebration with work people at a fancy bar thanks to hitting a mile stone as part of that three hour meeting. So being more social tonight but for work politics reasons. So I’ll have to be on for a while. 

Tomorrow I want to try lightly training. We’ll see how that does and it’ll inform how Saturday works. Saturday is also the last Harvard class before the break, so I want to try hitting that’s since I love their chief instructor. But we’ll see how things roll. 

• Like 3

Good for you networking at work and being social! It sounds like a situation where just showing up and smiling is the right thing to do.

I hope your leg is okay as you go back to the dojo.

Right. So. In typical fashion of my life. 

My furnace kind of exploded. With water, but exploded. My basement has three to four inches of water everywhere. My heat can’t turn on because it’ll cause water to flood more. 

The second floor also had issues at the same time, so they are going to call their plumber and just extend my permission to get him to fix my stuff. I have the funds to cover things good enough, but yeesh. Timing is terrible. Or great. Or karmic. Or all of that. 

My Xmas gift to myself is a fixed furnace. #HomeOwnerLife

• Sad 5

Update: Plumber was called and left a voicemail. He never returned my call. So going to try calling or texting him at 9 ish since I would very much like heat. 

Went to train last night, it was probably a bad idea. Rather than train today I should stretch probably instead.  I might be able to train rusty, but I should be smart I guess. Ugh. Maybe I’ll go join the gym next door today so I can do some mobility work there. 

After training last night I swing by work to grab a friend who was still there and he and I grabbed some ramen for dinner. Besides the whole dead furnace thing, the weather makes it ramen excellent fair. Ended up just hanging out with him until stupid early o’clock at his place because at least his studio apartment has heat. 

Today’s goal is solely getting some plumber scheduled and not being broken. Oh and feeding my former neighbors cats. 

• Like 2

Update to the update. Turns out the plumber is better at texting. Introvert powers activate!

Total quote for parts and labor was $1800, which is nearly double what I had stocked away for the eventual PM and repair stuff. That doesn’t count also the fact I need him to look at two radiators, either. So I’m probably looking at $2500 easy. Goodie. But honestly, based on parts and labor it seems like a good deal since he comes with high regard from my neighbors. 

the downside is he can come pretty much only Monday night. So I’ll be chili for a bit. But at least I’ll have heat next week. Probably. 

• Sad 2

4 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Update to the update. Turns out the plumber is better at texting. Introvert powers activate!

Total quote for parts and labor was $1800, which is nearly double what I had stocked away for the eventual PM and repair stuff. That doesn’t count also the fact I need him to look at two radiators, either. So I’m probably looking at $2500 easy. Goodie. But honestly, based on parts and labor it seems like a good deal since he comes with high regard from my neighbors. 

the downside is he can come pretty much only Monday night. So I’ll be chili for a bit. But at least I’ll have heat next week. Probably. 

May your blankets be thick and the nights be mild.

10 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Goal for next year: learn home repairs and build yourself an amazing tool chest? Binge watching This Old House is a right of passage for new homeowners. :)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, bigm141414 said:

Goal for next year: learn home repairs and build yourself an amazing tool chest? Binge watching This Old House is a right of passage for new homeowners. :)

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

They're even from the same town as RP.

Man I loved This Old House as a kid. 

Also plumbing is one of those things I’m paranoid about, and in this case it’s a combination of plumbing, electronics, AND heat. If this weren’t a more emergency case I’d try it myself first. As I see it, I knew some costly thing was going to pop up shortly after I moved here. Because #Home Ownership. The fact it’s happening five months in is fine. 

——————————

Yesterday I did not do much. Got the plumbing thing scheduled and sent pictures to the plumber so he could buy the correct parts. Cat Sat for my neighbor. Bought some books at a warehouse book sale (some gifts and then things more me. Notable a copy of I, Robot by Asimov since I never read The Robot series, and another Tao Te Ching translation with footnotes. Yes I’m a nerd.)

Was going to go grocery shopping, but a friend asked if he could drop something off at my place so I went home instead. He then didn’t show up for two or three hours, so I could have done more errands like I had planned. Do I need to do things today. But he delivered a belated Harvard aikido peoples birthday gift to me - Gift certificates to Schedule a pedicure because my feet are bad and sometimes spontaneously crack and cause me to bleed on the mat. Whoops.

Anyway. I’m seriously considering skipping the dojo this morning. Being  in close proximity to people doesn’t feel like a great thing right now. Also my leg feels tight. Is the annoying catch 22. But I can still stretch/massage the leg more. 

Meh. Maybe I’m just feeling a case of the Sundays....

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

my feet are bad and sometimes spontaneously crack and cause me to bleed on the mat. Whoops.

Uh, so maybe you should take advantage of your injury time to slather your feet in industrial strength lotion for several hours a day...

2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Notable a copy of I, Robot by Asimov since I never read The Robot series, and another Tao Te Ching translation with footnotes.

I haven't read the Robot series either, but I really enjoyed I, Robot back in the day.

Please geek out over Tao Te Ching translations. This is relevant to my next challenge.

On 12/8/2019 at 12:44 PM, sarakingdom said:

Uh, so maybe you should take advantage of your injury time to slather your feet in industrial strength lotion for several hours a day...

I haven't read the Robot series either, but I really enjoyed I, Robot back in the day.

Please geek out over Tao Te Ching translations. This is relevant to my next challenge.

I mean, there's a reason they got me a pedicure gift certificate....  Now I just need to get over the paranoia of people touching my feet.

So far I'm three stories/chapters in and I like it.  Light read, but entertaining and also shockingly futuristic considering it was written in like, 1940.  So, you know, classic Asimov.

And I love me my Tao Te Ching translations.  More so when footnotes are involved for better context.

------------------

Plumbers are here!  Currently fixing my pipes and wet work in the steam boiler, and it'll take a couple hours.  Already they found another valve that needs replacing, and during the walk through they'll see a few other things that need fixing.  If this stays under 3 grand I'll be happy.  Literally three times what I expected/budgeted for, but I can handle it.  But to have it done will be a relief.  (Also entertaining is how my brain is happy if this costs under 3000, which is an absurd sum of money that in years past would prevent me from doing anything that cost that much.  Pretty sure I'm still coming down from the sticker shock of the house down payment/mortgage amount still....)

Woke up this morning at 5:30, but I'd be lying if I said I actually got out of bed.  Went to bed much later than I expected, and then just felt unmotivated to get out because of the cold.  But I did, and then read a bit, then left for work.  Food at work was... okay.  I had a few bits of chocolate and some Indian sweets that a coworker brought back from their trip home.  At home now I have a few junky bits, but nothing super terrible.

Been trying to stretch the leg throughout the day.  I want to train a bit tomorrow and Friday, potentially Thursday.  This is the last week my dojo has in our space, so I'm feeling.... I honestly don't know.  I'm so jaded from the injury a few weeks ago, the hunt, the end of year stuff, the forced testing, the drama of where we are going, the drama of the teaching issue....  So my brain is just solidly confused on a lot of things right now.  But we shall see.

Uhhhhmmmm..... going to try getting my hair cut Wednesday so I don't look like a slob at the exams or during Xmas.  But otherwise I'm mostly just trying to survive.  So yay?

• Like 5

Yay for getting your heat fixed!

Yes, facing big numbers is part of home ownership. I'm surprised your house inspector didn't mark the heating system as a potential problem. That said, our house inspector did not point out that the previous owners had a DIY roof and installed seals incorrectly, so the roof leaked around the chimney and plumbing vents.

I hear you on the mixed feelings about your dojo. Considering how stiff your leg has been, not doing vigorous practice sounds like the smart move. Maybe stop by to see people, but not train?