• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Oogiem

OogieM's Sheep happens

OK realized a bit late that I should have posted a separate thread...

Will go back and try to delete or edit the posting in the top level

Newbie here, late, been doing NaNo so trying to not spend time on forums...

race - Dwarf, short and chubby or perhaps hobbit, I love to eat

goal Ranger or perhaps an upper middle age Lara Croft

Fitness Goals

Finish a full beginner bodyweight circuit 2 days in a row (I keep getting so sore from 1, I give up for the next day)

Finish one basic stretching program 3 times a week for the month (Looking for good ideas for improving flexibility for the not and never have been flexible)

Develop more recipes for lamb shanks, they didn't sell this year so we have LOTS to eat ourselves, at last count we have about 20 sheeps worth....

Life Goals

Finish weaving the rug I started on my big loom and get my tartan fabric sampler warped up and on it

Finally win a NaNoWriMo (tried 4 years, never won yet)

Good luck with your goals. I've read in Faetan's thread that you are already at 36k which is awesome! I think you'll definitely be able to reach the 50k.

If you want to get flexible try Pilates or Yoga. Alethea wrote a great post (well, thread) here:

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=994

And it's not as hard as it seems if you built it up graduately.

Go go yoga! It'll do wonders, I promise.

I like your goals! I have a few lamb recipes I'll dig up and float your way. Dunno what else to suggest aside from possibly "mail them to me". Mmmm, lamb....

You weave? Nice! It always appealed to me.. seems really meditative. Does it take a while to finish a project?

seems really meditative. Does it take a while to finish a project?

It is, almost as much so as spinning. I think spinning is more meditation to me because it's all in muscle memory and I don't have to think to do it. Weaving on the big loom is still difficult as it and I are learning how to work together. I had gotten to where on my old loom I could not think when weaving.

Some things take forever and some go faster. The fabric for the cloak I made from our sheep's wool took 6 years to weave, 2 years to get the courage to cut the fabric and 2 weeks to cut and hand sew the cloak. Actual time weaving was something like 600-800 hours total over those 6 years. I'm over half done with this rug and I only started it on 10 October. Fabric takes longer because I haven't done it as often. I just need to practice more. :-)

And on the status front, I'm at 37818 words so far on NaNo, going shopping tomorrow to look for some dried beans to make some lamb stews and am reading and looking at stuff on yoga for flexibility.

Thanks!

my mom's getting really into weaving lately, she keeps trying to get me to go to big weaving... events. or something. she said its just about the best thing ever.

all i know is that it looks like it takes a lot of patience, which i do not have :)

good luck and welcome to the challenge!

Today was our monthly junk food day. Did shopping 75 miles away & ate at the mall fast food Chinese. Only time I don't eat meat we raised or where I know where it came from...

But NaNo is going well at 37975.

Manana all

Today was our monthly junk food day. Did shopping 75 miles away & ate at the mall fast food Chinese. Only time I don't eat meat we raised or where I know where it came from...

I like that idea: a MONTHLY junk food day. That's something I might do on my next challenge... =)

Keep up the good work!! :mrgreen:

Funny we were shopping at Sam's Club, have to get dog food there bercause we go through 50 lbs a week for our dogs, and we passed aisle after aisle of junk food we no longer buy. Got some juice, some coffee, dog food, potato chips and corn chips (some lunches include those)and some nuts and that was about it.

We used to buy tons of the pre-packaged stuff ath Costco or Sams or WalMart. Not any more :-)

agreed, monthly junkfood day is brilliant.

So... when are you going to start a mail-order food business so the REST of us can buy meat that we know where it came from? : P

when are you going to start a mail-order food business

We did that a couple of times. Several issues, meat has to ship in dry ice overnight fedex, which makes it a hazardous cargo. My meat sells for about $10.50/lb for a whole animal. We are entirely grass and hay finished, no grains for our sheep and no GMO grain for our chickens. Piece parts are more or less depending on the part but it averages out. Shipping it raises that price to $25/lb or so. Plus, the environmental cost of shipping frozen meat is high. I have had customers drive from California and from New Mexico with big coolers, fill it up with meat and then drive home. I only ask that they call first so I can be sure to have the parts you want here at the farm store when you arrive. We also supply whole sheep smoked kolbassi that the local brewery uses as their brats. Each batch gets a new sign made with the names of all the sheep in that batch so you can really know your food. :-)

Better is to use the web sites Eatwild.com and localharvest.org to find suppliers near you. There are thousands of small farms like ours where the people need to sell direct to stay in business. I'm a huge supporter of eating locally and seasonally. Check the locavore movie (full disclosure, I'm in it quite a bit ) for reasons and ideas on how to eat more locally. I am also big on both no GMO and grass finished ruminant meats as being critical for good health. Paleo isn't good enough if the critter you are eating are eating a bad diet.

And with the US Gvmt trying to pass laws making it illegal for us to continue to supply you with good food it's imperative that consumers both start supporting your local farmers and also start harassing your congress critters to get needed changes made.

A couple of hens can be kept almost anywhere, gives you good eggs. Many cities are now passing urban chicken laws and a few banty hens are less trouble, mess and noise than a single large parrot if you need to keep them in a cage in an apartment (BTDT ;-) )

Each batch gets a new sign made with the names of all the sheep in that batch so you can really know your food. :-)

Thats horrible and I love it.

Unfortunately, I can't keep hens in my city. I checked. Would definitely cut down on my rediculous egg budget.

Thanks for the links! I'll check them out. I'm happy to buy direct, but have no clue where to go.

Hopefully someone on the forum is close enough to you that they can swing by your farm sometime. Seems a shame to have an actual organic grass-feeding producer on the boards and not take advantage!

Thats horrible and I love it.

It started as a joke for Halloween last year. The first batch was the Bad Boy Baatwurst. I had a a bunch of small paper tombstones with sheep names, birth and death dates and why they were in the sausages and made a scrapbook page for the brewery wall. (Butted us twice, Failed to breed ewes, bad horns bad behavior)

When that batch was gone we took the sign down. Then customers started coming up and asking us who the sausages were. So the next batch was the (not) Working Girls, a bunch of ewes who were there for reasons like failed to care for a lamb, failed to produce a lamb, bad teeth and similar problems. The next batch was the Horny Younglings, a large batch where the ewe lambs had horn buds (a disqualifying fault for my breed of sheep) or they were young rams (who have horns and are by definition horny). The current batch is The Good, the Bad and the Tasty. Not sure what the next batch will be, depends on whether I take the ewes who are scheduled or the rams. Or maybe do both (at different times, I never take both sexes to butcher at the same time). Sausage names always accepted. :-)

I do a lot of farm tours, roughly 150 people a year or so. I invariably get at least one or 2 radical vegetarians who accost me with "How can you possibly eat an animal you know?" to which I reply "How can you possibly eat something where you *DON'T* know all about that animal or plant?" I am with them at their birth, I load them on the trailer for slaughter and I walk them off into the kill pens. I know EXACTLY what my animals have eat, how they have been handled and I am very picky about how they meet their final job for me. The facility we use has worked with us and with Dr. Temple Grandin to be sure the animals are handled as humanely as possible. I've been on the kill floor when my sheep are being butchered. My sheep are not used to strangers. Yet they will lie down and chew cuds in the kill pen because they are not frightened. I am very picky about my animals and just because one of their jobs is to feed me or my customers does not mean I can take for granted how they meet that task.

Another thing, if it ever becomes easy to select sheep for butcher and who goes on that trailer, if I ever stop caring about them then it's time to quit eating meat entirely. I was vegetarian for about a year because I could not eat something I had killed. I decided then and there that I needed to be able to take full responsibility for the meat I eat. I only eat species I know I can kill and process myself if I had to and I always try to know the animals that have given their lives to keep mine going. That's one reason I hunt as well as raise my own meat animals. When there are species that do not work on our farm (pigs and cattle and turkeys) I make sure I know where they are raised, what they have eaten before slaughter and how they are processed into my food or I won't eat it.

The one exception is junk food day or when a guest as someone's house or when eating at a restaurant although even then I try to buy meals that are locally raised.

Sorry, this is a major hot button of mine.

I do a lot of farm tours, roughly 150 people a year or so. I invariably get at least one or 2 radical vegetarians who accost me with "How can you possibly eat an animal you know?" to which I reply "How can you possibly eat something where you *DON'T* know all about that animal or plant?".

i can relate here. grew up on a small farm (we just had chickens and rabbits) and we always raised some for meat - and people always asked how we could do it.

i would always tell them - "look, i know exactly how amazing this animal was treated its entire life. what can you say about the chicken/rabbit that you're eating?"

I really respect that. I'm city girl, born and raised, but thats definitely an ideal I admire. Good for you for taking the best care possible of your animals.

OK As of right this instant I am at 41,483 words on my NaNo Novel!

Other goals not going as well. Dinner tonight is a slow cooked sheep shoulder roast, I had a restaurant return some after a special event was cancelled and they needed to get eaten now so guess what we'll be eating for the next week or so :-)

OK As of right this instant I am at 41,483 words on my NaNo Novel!

Other goals not going as well. Dinner tonight is a slow cooked sheep shoulder roast, I had a restaurant return some after a special event was cancelled and they needed to get eaten now so guess what we'll be eating for the next week or so :-)

You are on fire with your Nano! Just a bit more and you are finished!

Too bad the restaurant had to return the shoulder roast. Maybe you should invite some friends over so you can finish the roast faster. :)

OK NaNo at 43504 as of this am and I will have time to write more today.

Did a single rep of the beginning body weight circuit yesterday (still can't to more than one circuit at a time) and will try to do one today.

Signed up for a yoga pose of the day e-mail and attempted to do the pose for today, a dismal failure but I did try.

Wow, given that I know nothing about NaNo this may be a dumb question, but what are you writing about? Thats a LOT of words!

Hey, congrats on the bodyweight circuit! Thats a major step!

Okay missy, you and I need to talk about yoga and attitude. There are different levels of ability, yes, but if 2 people do a standing forward bend, one puts their palms flat on the floor but is holding their breath and thinking about errands that need to be run and the other can't reach past their knees but is breathing properly and has their mind focused on their body and practice, which one is doing yoga? The second one. The first one is just stretching.

Yoga is attitude. Skill comes with time. You only fail when you're not fair to yourself, your time and your abilities.

And good for you that you did a yoga pose.

what are you writing about? Thats a LOT of words!

Hey, congrats on the bodyweight circuit! Thats a major step!

Okay missy, you and I need to talk about yoga and attitude.

NaNoWriMo is write a novel in a month. Has to be fiction and over 50K words. Mine is a fanfic mashup of several fictional worlds. I'm stymied today but am at just barely over 47K words and that includes some almost cheating by removing all contractions. Story bogged down in the tubes, about 10 new ideas for novels or novellas beating my brain for space and time and the characters seem dead to me today. bleh! I'm trying to write a flashback just to get moving and am avoiding it by responding here.

Didn't manage a bodyweight circuit today at all. But I did move hay bales, some fences and we built a temporary pen for the ewes for our experiment in 2 weeks. While I filled water tanks I stretched out using the fences to help me move a bit further than I normally can. <G>

That is about the best I can do with my yoga attitude I'm afraid. I am trying to take your advice to heart and just do what I can. I am also trying to be a bit aware of how I move normally and try to incorporate the yoga and the body weight stuff I have seen into how I do the things I do normally. So today when I was picking up the eggs from the floor of the chicken house I did 2 forward lunges to get them. I have 2 hens who refuse to use the nests and lay their eggs on the floor so I have to bend over to get them. I normally just squat down but decided to do something different today.

Was at a long contentious meeting yesterday from 7pm until nearly 11 so am just flat tired I think.

Sheep happens,

I did manage to eat fairly well, grass finished sheep shoulder roast & salad for dinner.

Some stretching,

Thanksgiving is tomorrow and I am not at all ready other than turkey in the fridge thawing,cranberry sauce made & cornbread for stuffing done.

Down to brewery for beer

ready for bed now....

I FINISHED MY NANOWRIMO NOVEL!!!!

Yes, I AM shouting. 5 years and this is the first year I've finished. It sucks, it's really about a 20 thousand word novella and I padded the heck out of it to get it to 50K but I did it. So I'm taking a bit of a break and will decide whether to edit it back to what works, trash and start over or just archive and start a new story. But I did get the bug that I enjoy telling stories, probably the whole point of NaNo.

My rug is within 3 inches of being done. We had a fiber guild meeting here yesterday and the other 2 weavers helped me adjust the big loom to me. They both have similar looms and watched me weave and we played with positioning of treadles, beater and bench so I can weave longer w/o any pain. :-) Then I was given some hints about how to make the act of weaving a stretching & exercise time as well as meditation. 1 of the ladies has MS and uses spinning and weaving as physical therapy so has learned a lot about how to use the motions of her wheel and of weaving as exercise.

We cooked a nice turkey raised by the neighbors so we've got turkey still for a while then it will be back to eating the shoulder roasts the restaurant returned. But I tried a new recipe for garlic oven fried potatoes and have an idea for a turkey curry or vindaloo that we'll have tonight.

I've also been really aware of what stretches I can do while I am doing normal farm work. The egg picking lunges is now habit or nearly so and I looked up some ballet stretches at the barre and have been attempting them when I'm standing at the fence lines filling water tanks.I use the fences instead of a barre. It's a bit tough doing the stretches wearing jeans, insulated coveralls, a heavy winter coat and thick rubber boots with extra insulation but I am moving. ;-)

The sheep are amused. Quite a few of the older sheep stand around and watch me. Belinda and Beatrix keep coming up to me and looking at me and then pulling on my coat until I stop and spend some time scratching them. The lambs all come over to investigate and then when I move they race off and start playing at the evening lamb races with lots of pronking and tail wagging. It quite fun I am sure the sheep are discussing what their crazy shepherd is doing now when I leave.

Congradulations!! Woot writing bug!

Weaving-as-exercise is intriguing - you'll have to keep me posted as to how it goes. I can see how it'd be good for seated posture, arms and shoulder endurance. Remember to keep your shoulders down your back, away from your ears!

Also, your farm-work calesthetics is awesome. All that extra clothing just adds to the challenge!

To add a couple suppliments to your egg-lunges:

Side lunge: http://www.musclemagfitness.com/bodybui ... lunge.html

Reach-Across Lunge: http://magazine.stack.com/Exercises/112 ... cross.aspx

Sign in to follow this