OogieM's Sheep happens

Oogiem

Setback,

I fell a couple of days ago and now my arthritis riddled hip is very painful. Trying to stretch as much as I can.

So sorry to hear this. Take it easy and here's hoping that it feels better soon.

Also, as a teammate, I feel like I have been totally remiss in actually responding to your thread, but I have been reading it and just want to say that I totally love your lifestyle and your philosophy on food and raising animals. I've been ridiculously busy this Challenge, but I hope you'll stick around for another because I'd love to pick your brain and talk about all that sometime.

"Did you go to the gym when you were alive?"
"I died in 1938. For exercise, we drank sloe gin and smoked Lucky Strikes."
- Dead Like Me

2 aspirin before bed is helping as is gentle stretching.

I'm not really managing to follow all my teammates threads either.

I am planning on staying around though, just may not be as wordy here for a while.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

STR 4.25 | DEX 4.5 | STA 3.75 | CON 3 | WIS 4.75 | CHA 1

Up for this week,

Major stretching and strength training farm style. USDA is here for the sheep experiment, I will be wrestling rams, holding ewes and learning AI techniques. The major workout will come on ram collection days. We are going to try a jump ewe so the plan is hubby holds the ewe, I and a helper hold the ram either by the horns or on each side with a halter (did I mention none of my rams are halter broke? ) and the professor gets to do the honors with the AV. Hopefully this will work as it will be a lot easier on both rams and us than the normal way we do collections. Details of that are probably way TMI for non-farmers but suffice it to say that it takes 4 people and is absolutely no fun at all for the ram or us.

Anyway, we start today as soon as they arrive and we get the lab set up in the shop building. I may not be posting much all week, the experiment protocol has us doing stuff from dawn until dark every day and then we still have regular chores and food to deal with.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Geeze, way to take the fun out of things! Poor sheep. : P

I know that's a thing, but know absolutely nothing about it. Never thought about what a pain it must be. Good luck!

Glad you're feeling better. You probably know, but stay away from tomatoes and peppers if you're having inflamation issues. They make things much worse.

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

Didn't know about the tomatoes & peppers, thanks.

If anyone cares to you can follow the progress on twitter. I'm Oogiem there as well. I will keep my comments mostly work safe :-)

Yesterday, researchers arrived a bit later than we hoped. Minor bobble as the AI chute was not quite correct for the new holding/containment procedure for this year. Discovered that with a straw bale and 2 ewe holders (head and butt plus tail) and we can hang the ewes back legs over the corral side on the newly built padded edge and that does the required stretching of the repro tract for the insemination pipette to be passed safely. It's a randomized trial of 2 procedures, we are alternating which ewe gets which procedure and the order is when they are coming in to heat.

5 ewes safely done all looking good in less than half an hour once we got started.

Today we have to rebuild the ram collection pen, we've decide we need a safer place for the jump ewe and ewe handler and better containment for the ram and ram handlers in case the boys get too frisky. FEDEX also on alert to come pick up the packages to send back to the main lab for further processing.

And it's snowing! :sigh:

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Sounds like a healthy workout, that's for sure!

So are sheep as dumb/suicidal as the fantasy genre makes them out to be?

"Let another say. 'Perhaps the worst will not happen.' You yourself must say. 'Well, what if it does happen? Let us see who wins!' ".

- Seneca, 63 AD

"There is no better way to fight weakness than with strength." - Henry Rollins

So are sheep as dumb/suicidal as the fantasy genre makes them out to be?

No, not really. Some breeds are more stupid than others. However, smart sheep is not always a good thing. Ours are a non-flocking smart breed. They can learn their names and will come when called. I can identify about half of them on pasture just by looking at their faces. They are also almost impossible to herd anywhere, if you pressure them they scatter but do not flock. So we don't use any herding dogs (border collies or the like) but instead use portable electric netting to make temporary lanes and corrals as needed. It's easier to train the sheep than keep a border collie busy.

Yesterday was rough, lots of stuff didn't work, sheep happens. But we did "git er done" so to speak. Hope today goes better, biological systems are never simple even when you've done it all before.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

In the home stretch:

rams collected, 3 more ewes to inseminate tomorrow then the great sheep experiment is mostly done. some final clean-up and then we wait til lambing to see results. Ate out every night this week 'cept Monday, no energy to cook, not a great diet but not bad, burgers & fries, sheep brats and tonight pizza. Back on the exercise wagon starting tomorrow. Today I was holding ewes, wrestling rams, holding ewes and really torqued my back. I stretched as I was filling hay feeders but still really sore. Taking aspirin am and pm to keep things to a dull roar.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Sheep stuff finished yesterday. Had a very small lunch and a much better for me dinner, roasted home grown chicken, carrots & celery, rice and a glass of the neighbors gewertz. wine. (no I am not on paleo :-) )

Today will be housework and this afternoon weaving.

How many yoga type stretches can I do while cleaning the house and doing laundry? ;-)

Will get all of the body weight circuit except the dumbbell stuff done today. Haven't figured out how to do that one yet, we don't drink that much milk and I'm waiting until we've finished a gallon jug of juice to save the container to make a weight.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Both rugs done! The one from handspun looks lovely. The rag rug is nice but smaller than I was hoping for. Now is when I wish I had a fringe winder.

Did lots of stretches while working but not much real body weight stuff.

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

OK my first challenge here:

Original Goals:

Fitness Goals

Finish a full beginner bodyweight circuit 2 days in a row (I keep getting so sore from 1, I give up for the next day)

Finish one basic stretching program 3 times a week for the month (Looking for good ideas for improving flexibility for the not and never have been flexible)

Develop more recipes for lamb shanks, they didn't sell this year so we have LOTS to eat ourselves, at last count we have about 20 sheeps worth....

Life Goals

Finish weaving the rug I started on my big loom and get my tartan fabric sampler warped up and on it

Finally win a NaNoWriMo (tried 4 years, never won yet)

Results:

Didn't ever finish a full circuit 2 days in a row. But I did get more exercise done regularly than I have in the past several years.

Stretching went well, have been attempting some yoga and some ballet stretches while doing other tasks. Found some ways to incorporate stretches into my normal routine. I am more flexible but still not good.

No progress on lamb shanks recipes but I am slowly going through the ones I do know and we are liking them. Also did a freezer inventory and discovered I have lots of racks and a fair number of loin chops so we'll get some variety. :-)

Life goals:

Finished my main rug, had leftover warp so started & finished another rag rug. Got a tartan sampler warped on the table loom and started. Discovered that I have some stuff to adjust on my big loom so can't really warp it for fabric until I fix those items. Also discovered how to use weaving as a gentle stretching exercise. Lots of progress here!

WON NANOWRIMO!

As I sort of expected, my life goals are moving along nicely but the fitness stuff needs work. That's why I am here. :-)

Be Seeing You!

Oogie McGuire

Black Sheep Shepherdess

Congrats, Oogie!

You may not have fully achieved the fitness goals you set out to accomplish, but like you said - you've done more than what you were doing before the challenge and I think THAT is a solid sign of progress and success!

Life has a funny way of stepping in and waving it's finger at you anytime you think you're getting ahead. The trick is to work with it and keep moving forward, which you've done admirably!

Looking forward to following you on the next challenge!

Jason

Follow my adventures!

Me | My Youtube | Facebook | RunKeeper

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines