aramis: Lazy goals are still goals

Hey ya all! 

For non-Ranger people who wander to my thread, I owe some warning and introduction.

Warning - this WILL be boring thread without much achievements. Mostly drama (if any).

Introduction:

I'm a 38 year old dude from Poland, husband, father of two hellspawns (5 and 9). I live busy life, but who doesn't?  I started my journey here this year, at break of March and April. I have couple wins under my belt - I lost some fat, gained lots of strength, I eat quite well. For some time now my challenges evolve towards leveling my life in non-fitness areas like family. The big thing is mental health. I struggle with self worth/acceptance (yeah, even if I just said I progressed a lot in fitness area), and to deal with this I'm in the process of sorting out my issues and anxieties - both here and at therapist couch. Fitness wise I'm preparing myself for my Big Why, my long term goal - debuting in OCR, which will be April 4th (I signed up couple days ago :)). I run 5K offroad, do lots of burpees and strength train. To stay consistent and track progress/backslides, I log my workouts here, in Battle Log section.

And back to the Christmas Challenge. 

I will divide it in two parts - Christmas time (Dec. 24th-26th, maybe day before and after as well) and the rest.

My battle plan for Christmas time is as following:

I will intentionally try to ignore my sense of duty, even to the state of backslide on my fitness and healthy habits. My mantra will be

Don't stress over it. 

Don't overdo.

Cut yourself some slack.

Enjoy the festive time.

Don't be an asshole to yourself.

I want to be able to enjoy the festive time with my family - even if it means I need to skip a workout or don't do some chores. I want to enjoy Christmas treats, even if it means eating not-so-healthy stuff in way too much amount. 

And speaking of eating - it will be challenge itself, as I developed some sort of obsession about my weight (by shedding fat earlier this year). I try to gain weight (muscle preferably :)), but when numbers go up I lose my mind. Sigh.

And the rest of the December I'll be lazy here, but I really need to ease on adding myself things to do. I will just follow my previous challenge goals.

And that would be:

Working on my self-worth and other mental issues, 

Working on being better Dad,

Working on being better husband,

Working out 6x a week with my OCR focused routines, eating right and getting enough rest.

[EDIT] - another goal - to fight my weight obsession, I will refrain from weighting daily. I will still check my weight once a week. 

Let's do this!

• Like 8

I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred. But only with a dash of milk.

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

Other activities: Bike build

Dec. 3rd

Crazy day. First snow fell and people started to drive like... IDK, but generally hysterically and unpredictable. My usual 30min drive to work turned out to take over an hour because of traffic jams caused by nothing particular. I got stuck at work as well (we had a technician fixing one of our EDMs I needed to oversee). At least I had some time to think over and finish up my challenge thread :) 

At home I didn't do much. When I came back boys were already heading to watch TV, so I ate dinner, spent some time with A. discussing plans etc. Did my burpees after putting boys to beds. 

I think my weight obsession kicks in again - I constantly overthink my nutrition, IF i should eat so much? Because after sorting out carb-fats ratio I ended with lots, really lots of carbs to eat (while I keep my caloric target unchanged). I am aware carbs bind water when glycogen is created, so some of weight will be water, but it's bloody unpleasant feeling watching numbers go up like a kilogram overnight. My conscious self perfectly knows it needs time to create new balance point after nutrition change, but every time I look at the scale first I get "mini panic attack" before rational thinking comes and calms the tension. And I don't want to stop weighting myself until I get into new stable weight, because I want the data! Ugh!

I'm terrified about Christmas feast. I plan not to track any food there, but how the hell am I supposed to gag my inner voice, this bloody gremlin telling me I'm getting fat again? Especially considering I wasn't "that fat" in the first place. I was "skinny-fat" with weight closing to "overweight" threshold. 

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Not gonna Challenge anymore for now. I took Steve's words and started thinking in days and years. Challenges are just short-term distractions. 

#16 | #15 (Xmas mini) |  #14 | #13 | #12 | #11 | #10 | #9 | #8 | #7 | #6 | #5 | #4 | #3 | #2 | #1

I feel like Max Cohen... Argh! Let the overthinking stop!

(Don't click. Don't watch it. You've been warned.)

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

There you are!

On 12/3/2019 at 8:23 AM, aramis said:

Hey ya all! 

Warning - this WILL be boring thread without much achievements. Mostly drama (if any).

I think sometimes achievements camouflage themselves as other things.

a Run that feels well, good times with the kids, a talk with the wife that really connects, and getting ever closer to the OCR while getting a little stronger (umm can you remember the 87 burpees?  cuz I'm not sure I could do that many)

All of this are Awesome achievements.  but there's no one waving flags, or giving your trophies on anything.

its important to find motivation in the things that you do; and part of that IS noticing the little achievements that exist.  I know you vibe is to push through discomfort and discouragement.  but don't lose the "hey I did it" or "actually that went well!"

you've posted moments like that before

and you can do it again!

.... Following, ofc!

• Like 3

https://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/116426-im-awake/

the "NEW" normal is good with me! as Life was Never really Normal anyways....

10 hours ago, aramis said:

Dec. 3rd

I'm terrified about Christmas feast. I plan not to track any food there, but how the hell am I supposed to gag my inner voice, this bloody gremlin telling me I'm getting fat again? Especially considering I wasn't "that fat" in the first place. I was "skinny-fat" with weight closing to "overweight" threshold. 

Someone here posted a little known fact a little while ago:  One Christmas feast can NOT make you gain tons of weight.

instead; its all about the Normal diet you have.

You'll have to gag that demon- for sure.  he's no good!  concentrate on the reason for christmas perhaps. (as an idea...)

with all the workouts you have only to keep things (generally) normal. and you'll be fine...

• Like 2

Hi aramis, everything TGP said. :D  It is good to see whole-life goals, even if they are harder to measure and track.

17 hours ago, aramis said:

I think my weight obsession kicks in again - I constantly overthink my nutrition, IF i should eat so much? Because after sorting out carb-fats ratio I ended with lots, really lots of carbs to eat (while I keep my caloric target unchanged). I am aware carbs bind water when glycogen is created, so some of weight will be water, but it's bloody unpleasant feeling watching numbers go up like a kilogram overnight. My conscious self perfectly knows it needs time to create new balance point after nutrition change, but every time I look at the scale first I get "mini panic attack" before rational thinking comes and calms the tension. And I don't want to stop weighting myself until I get into new stable weight, because I want the data! Ugh!

One thing I do when I want to not stress over my weight but still track it is switch the unit I measure in.  Lbs is how I normally track and there is an emotional attachment to certain numbers; if I record in kgs, my brain doesn't have the same immediate reaction and I can monitor my weight more rationally.  A really simple little trick but it might help.

• Like 1

Current Challenge: The Cliffs of Insanity  Previous Challenges: #1#2, #3#4#5#6, #7#8#9#10#11#12#13#14#15#16#17#18#19#20#21#22, #23, #24, #25, #26#27#28#29#30#31#32#33#34#35

Battle Log: Operation Fly-By-Night

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.”

― Neil Gaiman

17 hours ago, aramis said:

I think my weight obsession kicks in again - I constantly overthink my nutrition

Me too! I'm an absolute champion overthinker when it comes to nutrition. I don't have solutions for you, just empathy. 

• Thanks 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

15 hours ago, TGP said:

One Christmas feast can NOT make you gain tons of weight

I'm perfectly aware of this - hence my plan not to bother what (and how much) I eat at Christmas feast. But tell it to my inner voice/gremlin/demon/you-name-it. I fear this sick habit will ruin my time with family, and even more I fear I will ruin this time for my family by being annoying/obsessively overthinking what I eat etc. Maybe I could use this - IF I will bother too much about food, I will let my loved ones down. So I need to convince my inner self to choose "lesser evil" - it's "happy family time" vs "one evening of eating not-so-optimal". 

I hope it's enough time before x-mas for me to familiarize with the idea of this one evening of enjoying treats :) 

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

switch the unit I measure in

Thanks for the idea. This could work if I wouldn't be an engineer. I switch units on the fly, so this way to trick my brain won't work... I think I need to force myself to refrain from weighting at all for a time. 

I think I will keep my weight tracking as it is for a week or two more (to see my weight stabilize after diet shift), and then stop tracking at all for a month. Maybe this will throw me off the obsessive overthinking wagon. 

Dec. 4th

Mentally I still feel bad. I have a feeling I let everybody around me down because of my food obsession, wasting time for workouts etc. On the other hand, if I cease to follow this "healthy lifestyle", I will let down my Future Self, and put to risk my family well-being (if I get sick, it will be costly). Wherever I turn, I see something I can blame myself for. 

But I tried to be positive with boys. They were busy playing Lego (F. just got late present from his aunt - Ninjago set with two bikes and some Serpentines). I joined them for a bit. And after TV time I invited F. fos some yoga.

After boys were asleep I whined to A. about my mood. I'm glad I learned to open up more about what I feel. 

Oh, and I booked a Spa visit for both of us (extremely late birthday gift for A.) for a chocolate themed couples' ritual.

Fitness wise (apart of thinking about nutrition waaaaay too much) I did my KB workout when boys watched TV. It took quite some time for me to get up and start exercising. IDK what's happening, maybe it's this guilt of wasting time, but it's harder and harder for me to start my workouts. 

• Like 3

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

4 hours ago, aramis said:

Dec. 4th

Mentally I still feel bad. I have a feeling I let everybody around me down because of my food obsession, wasting time for workouts etc. On the other hand, if I cease to follow this "healthy lifestyle", I will let down my Future Self, and put to risk my family well-being (if I get sick, it will be costly). Wherever I turn, I see something I can blame myself for. 

Fitness wise (apart of thinking about nutrition waaaaay too much) I did my KB workout when boys watched TV. It took quite some time for me to get up and start exercising. IDK what's happening, maybe it's this guilt of wasting time, but it's harder and harder for me to start my workouts. 

the Key question IS can you hold it?

cause REALLY your clearly doing awesome.  Much MORE than whats required to be fit and be at a good weight.  much, much MORE than what you need to do an OCR.  I know you want to start our strong; but everyone who's talked to me about them, says that they are as Hard or Easy as you make them.

its you first one; you don't have to make it an olympic sized obstacle..

but I'm sincerely worried about those gremlins of yours. 

is it like "OMG, I'm about ready to slip I'm so mentally bad..."

or 

"this is Tough REALLY really tough"

the latter thought is much better.  you CAN hold a routine through tough times.  and often in fitness you give your body a little break to recover and nearly magically its much stronger.  that toughens up the mental game too.(IMHO)

--------------

if You ARE at the verge of losing your program, change it!  change it immediately.  change when things are so tough (mentally or physically) that your going to fail.  

Either way the choice is yours, and I know you CAN succeed on your goals.

I've always loved you tag-line

"I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred, but only with a dash of milk"

thats the mantra of a champion IMHO.  and there's something very true about this aspect of fitness.  we push ourselves because we hate weakness; we hate inability.  we hate the demons that hold us back and say disruptive, destructive things in our head.  if we can push ourselves through one MORE rep, one more mile...  how bout letting the King of Boxing express a very similar thought;

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQWQo7puBjbJCWpiRp9GcP

idk if I'm being helpful.  but I've found inspiration, particularly, in your program.  its hardcore and very determined.

... are you ok aramis? I think you CAN do this.... but....

but if you can't- Change it!  (also everyone has  a bad day, so I don't want to amplify something that will pass with time)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just one more MEME that I sure you've heard;

I think its the mantra of one of the branches of the USA military

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQVfRA6vhPAfGMzkhj3Pqz

this can be very wrong, so I don't generally love this quote.  but sometimes great things happen only by working through very tough times...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, aramis said:

I'm perfectly aware of this - hence my plan not to bother what (and how much) I eat at Christmas feast. But tell it to my inner voice/gremlin/demon/you-name-it. I fear this sick habit will ruin my time with family, and even more I fear I will ruin this time for my family by being annoying/obsessively overthinking what I eat etc. Maybe I could use this - IF I will bother too much about food, I will let my loved ones down. So I need to convince my inner self to choose "lesser evil" - it's "happy family time" vs "one evening of eating not-so-optimal". 

I hope it's enough time before x-mas for me to familiarize with the idea of this one evening of enjoying treats :) 

Thanks for the idea. This could work if I wouldn't be an engineer. I switch units on the fly, so this way to trick my brain won't work... I think I need to force myself to refrain from weighting at all for a time. 

I think I will keep my weight tracking as it is for a week or two more (to see my weight stabilize after diet shift), and then stop tracking at all for a month. Maybe this will throw me off the obsessive overthinking wagon. 

I used intuitive eating to start carving a path out of obsessing about food (first about calories, then healthfulness). I have to warn you, though, I put on weight before I started losing it. That's because I had an "unconditional permission to eat everything" phase, which I really needed on an emotional level after all that restriction and worry. Recently, I've been losing weight pretty quickly with the help of mindful eating and a non-restrictive but paleo-ish diet. I eat with no screens, book, newspaper or any other distraction, notice what I'm eating, put my spoon down between bites, and stop when I'm satisfied but not stuffed, with the understanding that I can always have more or something else later, so I never have to be hungry. I realised I was stuffing in several extra bites at each meal because of my serving sizes, or because I was worried about being hungry later. 

Anyway. It sounds like neither tracking closely nor letting go completely are ideal for you right now. Maybe you need some gentler heuristics instead, just while you're on holiday with family. For example, you could eat without distraction and stop at "satisfied but not stuffed." You could go back for seconds but only after having a drink of water. You could have whatever delicious thing is on offer, but make sure there's a bit of fruit or vegetable with every meal... just some possibilities.  

• Like 1

Let cheese and oxen and mead crowd out our secret desires for power and domination - Harriet the viking

Just be bold, fluid and unapologetic, not small, hairy and indecisive - Harriet the artist

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I've found inspiration, particularly, in your program.  its hardcore and very determined.

On 12/4/2019 at 6:07 PM, TGP said:

can you remember the 87 burpees?

17 hours ago, TGP said:

I've always loved you tag-line

"I absolutely CAN run on caffeine and hatred, but only with a dash of milk"

thats the mantra of a champion IMHO.

17 hours ago, TGP said:

we push ourselves because we hate weakness; we hate inability.  we hate the demons that hold us back and say disruptive, destructive things in our head.  if we can push ourselves through one MORE rep

I never thought anybody notice this tag line. Even I forgot about it. Thank you Jason for reminding me about it. And for that, for making me remember my fuel, my shield against my demons, I give you this GODDAMN ONE MORE REP - 88 burpees yesterday. And I promise - I'll get to 100 before April's OCR.

14 hours ago, Salinger said:

Aramis, how are you today?

As you see above - better. Turns out I just needed a (proper) kick in the butt to remember how to deal with my inner terrorists. Hatred and spite is the way. Thank you for checking up on me  :) 

8 hours ago, Harriet said:

Maybe you need some gentler heuristics instead, just while you're on holiday with family. For example, you could eat without distraction and stop at "satisfied but not stuffed." You could go back for seconds but only after having a drink of water.

Some restrictions are mandatory, as I'm following low FODMAP diet (my doc suspects IBS). I decided to put this away for a Christmas feast and deal with symptoms afterwards, but only for this one event. Well, not only - I will ignore my diet in January on our 15th anniversary trip, but that's all. 

But in day-to-day life I track kcals and macros to be sure I eat enough rather "too much". 

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

On 12/3/2019 at 11:53 PM, aramis said:

I think my weight obsession kicks in again

Ideally a break from tracking entirely might help reduce your focus on this. Failing that though, what about a totally different type of tracking? eg. girth measurements, gym performance, sleep quality, mood journal, etc?

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

13 hours ago, Harriet said:

The other problem.

Yeah. I know most people struggle with losing weight. So gaining should be easy, right? Well, not for me. If I don't stay vigilant, I will starve myself without noticing (maybe not to death, but for sure I will eat 300-500 kcal short). Especially now, when I shifted from fats to carbs and suddenly I need to eat 5 meals a day instead of usual 3 to push in all this food... But I'm working on this. I plan my meals and batch cook what I can.

12 hours ago, Defining said:

what about a totally different type of tracking?

I already track lots of stuff and waste quite some time on this. 

This is my pocket calendar - I track my workouts, calories and macros here.

Spoiler

tracking.thumb.JPG.35abe063a02df602d98bc0b9a4d4c9f5.JPG

On top of that I track my weight in app and I'd say my threads here can be used as mood journal. 

I won't start girth measurements because it would take additional time (which is very scarce resource). Besides, it's not about tracking per se. It's about my inner, subconscious resistance to accepting the idea of gaining weight. Elastigirl described it perfectly in this post in my former thread. 

I suspect anything short of cold turkey break from weighting won't work. If I'll get the data, I will freak over it. 

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Dec. 6th

The day was okay, even good, until... 

Filled with new strength from @TGP , the power of spite and hatered, I was rolling through my day with grin on my face and belief I can do anything just to prove nay-sayers wrong. Surprisingly at work was quite okay-ish. When I came home and ate dinner, we sat with kids and did some jigsaw puzzle. When they were watching their share of cartoons, I did my workout. Started a bit late, so I was still doing my finisher KB clean&press when boys came to do Sun Salutations together. I asked them to wait on the sofa for me to end the routine.

Then the shit hit the fan. 

I was mid press when F. jumped with some questions. He surprised me to the point I almost dropped KB in my face. I just snapped there - lost my nerve and shouted. And suddenly the day wasn't so nice anymore. 

I think asking them to wait was a mistake - I should have send them to clean their room or something. Gotta use this as a lesson. 

On a brighter side -  I put a chunk of pork loin for my work lunch to marinate. Today evening gonna throw it in the oven :) 

• Like 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

1367049396_giphy(8).gif.946697cbd26291eeb962b97811eb451f.gif

14 hours ago, aramis said:

I suspect anything short of cold turkey break from weighting won't work. If I'll get the data, I will freak over it. 

Maybe a goal for a future challenge then?

On 12/3/2019 at 6:23 AM, aramis said:

Don't stress over it. 

Don't overdo.

Cut yourself some slack.

Enjoy the festive time.

Don't be an asshole to yourself.

DisastrousCautiousHog-size_restricted.gif.06723ec11dc77b1198831c66390c7845.gif

• Like 1

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Dec. 7th

In short words - busy morning, afternoon full of fun.

In the morning, after reporting here, I went to see my psych and finally finished MMPI test. I hope next visit he will more actively work with me. Then, on my way home I grabbed some groceries. At home I discussed with my Mom (eating my breakfast in the meantime) plans about dishes we need to prepare for Christmas. Then my wife A. took older kid F. to his Children's University lecture. I used this time to do my offroad 5K and have a lunch afterwards.

When A. came home we gave boys their second breakfast/lunch and after that we headed to Gliwice for a Christmas Market. We bought there some trinkets, had some chocolate dipped fruit and some hot chocolate, boys asked for Churros and couple rides on a merry-go-round. 

Then A. took boys to the cinema for Arctic Dogs (aka Arctic Justice, Polar Squad etc - depends on a country).

I used this time to meet with a friend with whom I was trying to meet for couples of months now, but we had trouble to match our schedules. We talked, drank mulled wine (well, he drank) and got some burgers :) 

In the evening after coming home we put boys to sleep. A. went to bed as well and I am preparing stuff for tomorrow - my Airsoft team organizes Santa themed shootout :)

• Like 2

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler

Week 1, Sunday (Dec. 8th)

My airsoft team was organizing a Santa themed event. This ended for me with 6 hours of wandering the woods (and a quarry). It was fun for us, and what's most important, for people who came to play. DRO (Delta Reindeer One), Santa's spec-ops won by crushing Arch-Dude's goons in the first scenario - the hunt for Christmas presents. The second scenario (attack-defense) was more balanced, but DRO managed to hold one of two crucial points and forbade Dark Goons form blowing up the magical Christmas Tree :) 

In other news:

- after dinner we went with boys to see Santa in  our Community Center

- I kept my temper with boys 

- did laundry

- portioned and packed my lunch food for work

- did Sun Salutations with F. in the evening (we will try to fit yoga into boys' evening routine)

- ate some sweets (from the Christmas presents hunted in first scenario) at the shootout, overate my caloric target by around 150kcal, maybe more. Didn't stress about it.

- cuddled with A. before sleep.

On 12/7/2019 at 9:01 PM, Defining said:

Maybe a goal for a future challenge then?

My Ranger Brain™ tells me to do All-The-Things at once. And as my weight remained stable over last week, I will incorporate this already. I will check my weight once a week instead of daily for remainder of this year. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Challenges' status: 

Spoiler